Menu

If have one "mantra" that drives your parenting philosophy...

Mine is also "don't sweat the small stuff."

When I was growing up my parent's had this same philosophy. I knew that there was small stuff (dying your hair purple, listening to music they didn't understand, etc.) and there was big stuff (drugs, school.) My parents chose their battles only on the big issues.... I try to do the same.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like a lot of these.

Mine would probably be "keep them close." I love the "Hold On To Your Kids" book by Gabor Mate and somebody else and I love focusing on building strong family bonds and keeping them close so I can nurture them and love on them and watch over them. This starts from birth when we co-sleep and they are on my physical person constantly from day 1. I know there is someday I will have to let go, though.

Whenever I worry about what my teens are doing, I just think back to what I was doing at that age and thank god that they aren't doing that!:lol::tongue_smilie:

Otherwise, my mantra is, "This too shall pass."

ETA: Don't hold them to a higher standard than you hold yourself.

"Don't strangle them. It's illegal."

:smilielol5:

Don't write it in your planner, then it's premeditated :D

I don't have to cook and they have a great library in the local jail.

I have some days where these things do run through my head, but not in a serious way.

Most days my motto is more geared toward just keep swimming. That and Mommy needs a time out.

I have two... one is too personal to share but has to do with reminding myself that I won't have this moment back, and someday I'll miss those messes and lack of sleep that I only have now because I have my precious children.

The other is "the hard is what makes it great".

Not really a mantra, but a guiding principle: These kids are not our possessions but are ours for a brief time during which we teach, train, and discipline in such a way as to launch responsible and kind adult men into the world. This includes the idea that our kids are distinct from us rather than an extension of us. They will have lives of their own and will make their own decisions...

Not really a mantra, but a guiding principle: These kids are not our possessions but are ours for a brief time during which we teach, train, and discipline in such a way as to launch responsible and kind adult men into the world. This includes the idea that our kids are distinct from us rather than an extension of us. They will have lives of their own and will make their own decisions...

This is not new, I know...but I know I have never heard that in church! :glare:

Yep, they're just apples that didn't fall far from the tree... :crying:

Of course, you don't have to go to church to believe either one.

While I was reading the thread, you posted my words!!!

Don't be like your mother

Don't be like your mother

Don't be like your mother.......

Wash rinse repeat.

Conversely, my husband asks jokingly WHEN I will be like my Mother.

My mother was amazing. She was my polar opposite in every way, even coloring (black hair and dark eyes...I'm blond with blue eyes, because by golly, she TOLD the doctors she and my dark haired/eyed father

were having a blond haired, blue eyed little gir and she did!).

My kids wish I were like her too. At least my son and my husband are like her, temperamentally.l

My short one is "remember, your job is to let go of them a little more each day."

But my longer one is this:

"One mustn't lose sight of the hard core, which is, do this, do that, love your friends and like your neighbors, be just, be extravagantly generous, be honest, be tolerant, have courage, have compassion, use your wits and your imagination, understand the world you live in and be on terms with it, don't dramatize and dream and escape."

~Rose Macauley, Towers of Trebizond

Edited by Caitilin

"We have the technology."

(From the intro to an old TV show, said when we need to solve a problem.)

"Make it work."

(No, it's not going to be perfect. Don't obsess. Just do it.)

"Plan the Work and Work the Plan"

(For me, when I'm feeling overwhelmed.)

"Outside Play, Every Day"

(For small children. Makes a huge difference for everyone.)

"We're gonna practice like we're gonna play."

(Yes, you have to show your work in math. This one borrowed from a football coach / AP US History teacher.)

"A good education for all students does not mean the same education for all students."

(Concept from Alfe Kohn (sp?).)

"If everyone thinks alike, then no one is thinking."

(It's OK to do things differently than others, and for others to do things differently from you.)

The days are long, but the years are short.

:iagree:

I like this one. Dh and I don't say it exactly like that, but instead we frequently remind each other, that THESE are the good ol' days. Anytime we're feeling overwhelmed, overworked, overtired...we just remind ourselves that these days right now, as crazy as they are, are the ones we will reminisce about.

I've also been known to throw out the "this too shall pass" and the "just keep swimming, swimming, swimming."

"If that's the worst thing that gets on my clothes in a day, I'm doing pretty well."

Seriously, though, aside from Scripture, it's more like, "I'm floored that little ole me gets to be called 'Mama' by these amazing, wonderful little people who are just so cute that I can't stand it. My mind is just boggled, and I am overwhelmed by gratitude." As long as I keep that in mind, I can handle anything.

In shorter words, "What can't be fixed with a hug and a kiss?"

Mine isn't necessarily a mantra but more of an action plan I learned after 15 years of marriage to my funny-man. "When the going gets tough, take a break and laugh." That was the one thing that saved my sanity this last school year (and joking around is NOT easy for me!). :)

"Suck it up, buttercup" it got me through Nursing school and parenting a then 2yr old and 5yr old while my husband worked 12 hour shifts. It works on the tough days.

"In all things Grace"

"Get it done, get it done, move on and have fun"

"Focus, intention"

"A finished lesson is better than a half done lesson"

"A day watching nothing but Myth Busters counts as education and as long as it happens only a few times a season then we are ok"

:bigear: