Menu

What kind of history do you need most?

What do you feel the most need for?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What do you feel the most need for?

• A one-year logic-stage American history
    • A two-year logic-stage world history
    • A three-year logic-stage world history
    • A four-year logic-stage world history

I see holes across the logic stage, for sure. I have a rising, moderately gifted sixth grader and have struggled with what to do for him. I voted a four year logic stage world history, but would be just as happy with a three year world history and one year of American for late logic or HS. Please, oh please, SWB?!!! Would LOVE to have one from you! Too late for DS11 (who is going to do Omnibus I), but I have two more coming behind him. We came by close to doing history as laid out in the WTM for DS11, but I need something more structured, as my younger two are special needs and get me off track easily. We LOVED SOTW and are so sad it is over!

So glad you are thinking about this!

You need an "other." I'd love to have had a 4 year history with 3 years dedicated to world history and 1 year dedicated to US history. If I could design it I'd go back over ancients, then middle ages ending with the explorers, then US history colonies to WWII, then back to world history.

Edited by Parrothead

You need an "other." I'd love to have had a 4 year history with 3 years dedicated to world history and 1 year dedicated to US history. If I could design it I'd go back over ancients, then middle ages ending with the explorers, then US history colonies to WWII, then back to world history.

:iagree:

I voted 2 year logic stage.

I'm slightly surprised by Am History out in front. There is so much available for Am History. Our kid's publishers, probably responding to what sells, go wild over Am History, which is in keeping with a general American feeling that we are the only people who count. (When I was in school, we studied American history or American government every year until the first elective chance I had at world history in the 11th grade. We did do South American geography (countries and capitals) in 6th grade, but it was a rebel teacher.)

The reason I voted 2 year is that few people are going to be marching through WTM in lock step with the 4 year cycle from the very beginning.

A significant number of people are going to be trying to "catch up" to hit another 4 year cycle.

I'd love a 2 year program to stick into 6th and 7th grade, after extending modern times into 4th and 5th grade. There is just so MUCH. Then I'd do American history and civics in 8th grade and restart the 4 year cycle in 9th.

Edited by kalanamak
SPeeeeeeeelling

I only voted 4yr World because I'm more confident in cobbling together my own 1yr American than I am 4yr World.

:iagree: w/bolded. I voted 2 yr world history because we started SOTW 1 in grade 3 instead of grade 1, so we're not set to finish SOT4 until grade 6. Sorry, I know that's a selfish reason to vote for 2yr, but you asked! :D

I voted 4yr logic-stage history. I'm using TOG for that stage, not because it is my preference but because I need a little more hand-holding in preparing my dc for high school-worthy reading, discussions, and writing, and TOG provides it.

I'd prefer the simpler (and far less expensive) WTM style for the same job.

I would kill for a really well done grammar stage American history in SOTW style. There are so many more options for logic stage American and world history spines than for grammar stage. There are quite a few grammar stage books out there, but not a single engaging, well-written volume spanning from the beginning to present that is devoid of derogatory language or ideas. Almost weekly, someone starts a thread here looking for the perfect American history spine for the early grades. As I've said before, it is the holy grail for me.

ETA: Perhaps Peace Hill Press could commission Steve Sheinkin to write one while you work on one of the four options above? :D

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

I adore SOTW and give it glowing recommendations to people all of the time, but . . . I feel that SOTW IV is the least-glowing of the bunch in that there was too much emphasis on "obscure" (for 4th graders) world history and not enough emphasis on American history.

So, I guess I'd like to see a revised SOTW 4 with more American history.

I originally marked one year of American history, but upon further thought I think I would rather have 4 yrs of world history. I would love a logic stage spine for world history and then I can just add in extra readings for years 3 and 4 to beef up the American history component.

Absolutely!

I honestly couldn't decide between 1 year American and 4 year World history options. I would love to see both! or 1 year American plus a 2 or 3 year world, that would give a nice three or four year sequence.

Just write fast, please! I'll need whatever you have in about two to three years. :D

Yes!! This! I voted for a 4 year World Hx because I feel confident focusing on American Hx when we get there....but, I like Chucki's plan!

There is a huge gap in solid Logic Stage materials in general and specifically in history and literature. There is a great progression which must be covered starting around 10 years old and culminating around 14 when Rhetoric Stage learning begins.

The getting them there seems daunting some times. I may be finished with this stage of learning before this project comes into being, but I look forward to seeing it:D. What can I say.....I love your materials. :D

Well, let me say what I did with my two younger kids, maybe that will help?it might particularly help those with youngers? I folded my younger kids into history as went. So, in fifth and sixth? I redid whatever SOTW they had done in first and second (because they really did not remember much of it by then), adding tests, timelines, higher lever reading, etc. In seventh I did a sort of year-long world history survey and then in eighth did American history.

I think beefed-up SOTW is pretty good for fifth, at least. So, I would vote for two-year logic stage world survey *and* one year logic stage American. I would vote for world to come first, because I do agree that there is a lot out there for American, there just is no spine that I *love*.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Huh, you know, that's what we're doing. You're so smart like that.

:iagree:Yes!

You just need the summer right? This will be available for me come this fall? ;) J/K, maybe, sorta......a girl can hope for miracles right? :D

Well, When we had our co-op we did SOTW over a 6 year period. (1st-6th grade) Then we had MFW for Highschool (Starting with Ancient) We went round and round about what to use for Jr High/7th&8th. We used something but we really weren't happy. There was literally NO curriculum that came close to a American History curriculum that made us happy. I would have LOVED a curriculum that had American History with some other history intertwined as appropriate with great maps. :)

Edited by NayfiesMama
I voted 1 Year American... but I really wanted 2yrs with some other stuff :)

I was in Hartford (and got to meet you :D and get my TWTM signed!) and I can see where you may have had some time for browsing the hall without 'fighting the crowds'...

My vote is for 1 yr American History because it's something I've tried to add in on my own as we get to Yr 3 and 4...I beef up some weeks with additional American history and at some points in these two volumes I skip or just skim quickly through certain chapters of more obscure events so that we can dwell longer on the American history chapters and add in additional readings and research.

If you were to write such a resource, I'd likely use it in a similar way though, condensing what I deem to be the most important parts of SOTW 1-4 and using the 1-yr American History resource in the appropriate chronological gaps so that it still only takes 4 logic stage years to complete it all. I would use it as a supplement to the current 4 books.

My alternate vote would be for a 4-yr logic-stage world history program that has a more in-depth American history component so that I wouldn't be juggling the two programs as described in the previous paragraph.

I'd like a 2 year logic world history & a 1 year logic American history. I like how Chucki organized her wish; I just want it slightly more condensed.

If the poll choices are the only options, I think I'd prefer a 3 year world history. I could pull together an American history year. Realistically, though, I just don't think I have the time to do it justice.

I hit the wrong button by mistake! I meant to choose 1-yr. American History instead of 2-yr. World History. Oooooops!

Having a year to really focus on our own country would be perfect before moving on to rhetoric level and another 4-yr. cycle. I'm so glad that you're considering this option.

Blessings,

Lucinda

A significant number of people are going to be trying to "catch up" to hit another 4 year cycle.

It occurred to me a two year world cycle might fit after schooler's better, too. It is easier to spread a 2 year out over 3 or 4 than trim a 4 year down to 2 year.

I like this and agree.

I honestly couldn't decide between 1 year American and 4 year World history options. I would love to see both! or 1 year American plus a 2 or 3 year world, that would give a nice three or four year sequence.

This. I voted for american but i would lve to see a four year logic world history. We are using k12 Human Odyssey and i think. Will like it, but it s really the only thing out there and some other options would be nice!!

I voted 4 year world history. You can hardly turn around without tripping over American history and/or Ameri-centric history. There is far too little that is devoted to the WORLD context of history.

Also, Americans aren't your only customers, and the ones who are wouldn't hurt to have a whole world history program as a solid alternative to the plethora of Ameri-centric ones out there. We would all benefit from less navel-gazing.

I vote for none of the above, as K12's Human Odyssey books in combination with their concise version of A History of US (on the front end, grade 5) or their American Odyssey book (on the other end, grade 8) are excellent resources for logic stage history.

However, I do think there is a need for a combined history/literature/writing program for high school.

I voted 4 year world history. You can hardly turn around without tripping over American history and/or Ameri-centric history. There is far too little that is devoted to the WORLD context of history.

Also, Americans aren't your only customers, and the ones who are wouldn't hurt to have a whole world history program as a solid alternative to the plethora of Ameri-centric ones out there. We would all benefit from less navel-gazing.

While some of their customers are not in the US, I imagine most are (and many of those outside of the US are still Americans). There are some reasons that I do a year of American history. One, standardized tests are heavily peppered with American history over world. Two, the other 12 years in my homeschool the kids get world history. Three, it is a good jump into civics. Four, if you use TWTM recommended resources for history, then it is a long time before they see US history again. So, personally, I don't think it is something to dismiss as mere navel gazing. I agree that the schools rely FAR too much on American history to the exclusion of everything else, but that is notthe case with most WTMers.

While some of their customers are not in the US, I imagine most are (and many of those outside of the US are still Americans). There are some reasons that I do a year of American history. One, standardized tests are heavily peppered with American history over world. Two, the other 12 years in my homeschool the kids get world history. Three, it is a good jump into civics. Four, if you use TWTM recommended resources for history, then it is a long time before they see US history again. So, personally, I don't think it is something to dismiss as mere navel gazing. I agree that the schools rely FAR too much on American history to the exclusion of everything else, but that is notthe case with most WTMers.

:001_smile: It wasn't personal.

My point is that there is already a lot of American hx out there. The strength of SOTW has always seemed (at least to me) to be its world focus. As is, I don't see how anyone could say SOTW doesn't cover key American hx. The rest of us are already trying to cobble together our own hx supplements. I don't believe SOTW needs much, if any, American supplementation as it is.

I would prefer SOTW keep the integrity of the world hx focus throughout the grammar, logic and rhetoric stages if further books are to be produced. I would rather see an extension of the 4-year cycle with its original intent (world hx) intact.

That's all I'm saying.

I wrote an e-mail to you all awhile ago about this.

What would be really nice would be a supplement to Story of the World for the 2nd round (logic).

I love the outlining in SOTW4, we are going to do SOTW1 again next year as our spine. I am pulling in resources from other places to "beef it up"

An activity book or guide (like History Odyssey, but using SOTW) for the logic stage would be wonderful.

Continuation of Outlining

More advanced Map Work and continuing the Time line

Recommended reading etc...

This would make it much easier to do SOTW with multiple children, and might not be as much work if you are piggybacking on what you already have.

:001_smile: It wasn't personal.

My point is that there is already a lot of American hx out there. The strength of SOTW has always seemed (at least to me) to be its world focus. As is, I don't see how anyone could say SOTW doesn't cover key American hx. The rest of us are already trying to cobble together our own hx supplements. I don't believe SOTW needs much, if any, American supplementation as it is.

I would prefer SOTW keep the integrity of the world hx focus throughout the grammar, logic and rhetoric stages if further books are to be produced. I would rather see an extension of the 4-year cycle with its original intent (world hx) intact.

That's all I'm saying.

I am one who wants an American history spine precisely because I want to keep world history focused on the rest of the world. I do not want to supplement world history with more American. I want the supplements I pull into our world history rotation to enrich our understanding of the rest of the world, to provide the bunny trails that allow us to learn more details about interesting topics we would miss if we were too busy supplementing with additional American history.

I agree that there are plenty of choices for logic stage American history. That is why I want a grammar stage American history spine. :D

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Hey, let's give everyone the benefit of the doubt that no one is trying to offend. We all have different senses of humor. What is a funny saying to one if offensive to another. We don't want both Math and History to be hot topics for this board.

Instead, why don't we think of all the wonderful resources Susan could write for us, she should be nice and rested after her holiday...how is ALL coming:D (and my tone is very silly this paragraph)

Oh, and a total side note, I saw you in Longbeach (also got my WTM signed) Thank you for explaining the token system. We have been trying to figure out a method for restricting screen time for 2 years. So far it is working like a charm!

Edited by Northwest_Mama
silly typo

I would kill for a really well done grammar stage American history in SOTW style. There are so many more options for logic stage American and world history spines than for grammar stage. There are quite a few grammar stage books out there, but not a single engaging, well-written volume spanning from the beginning to present that is devoid of derogatory language or ideas. Almost weekly, someone starts a thread here looking for the perfect American history spine for the early grades. As I've said before, it is the holy grail for me.

There are more resources, IMHO, for American history for the logic stage (Hakim's series and the Colliers' series that are both so discussed here are the two leading contenders, but there are others as well) that I'm not worried a bit about American history once we get to the logic stage. However, there's not a great American history spine for the grammar stage. That's what's missing and I think there's a HUGE market for it.