Menu

Ok, who drives the babysitter?

Who is generally expected to transport the babysitter?  

1. 1. Who is generally expected to transport the babysitter?

• The parents of the babysitter
    • The parents of the children being babysat
    • Other

I have had this happen enough times that I am curious if my expectations are wrong. My daughter(13) gets called to babysit and the parents want me to drive her back and forth. We have always transported our babysitters and when I babysat, the parents always came for me. Now, I understand unusual circumstance, like a single parent and sleeping children. If it was like that, I would be happy to help as I remember situations like that from back when I had to hire babysitters, instead of having them built in. BUT, i always talked to the parents of the sitter and asked for a favor(my husband is out of town, the kids will be asleep when I get back, could you possibly come pick up your daughter for me?) That kind of thing.

I am curious what is standard, because I admit to being annoyed that the parents want my daughter to babysit and also want me to drive her but I will get over it if I am the one who has weird expectations:D

Poll coming.

We actuallly drive our 13 year old b/c she would prefer we drive her..it can be awkward riding with an adult....I think as she matures and gets used to it, we would not mind them picking her up, in fact, one time they did want to pick her up (mainly to save us..very sweet)...but we really do not mind....we live 20 minutes out from anything so I would rather the family enjoy a nice night out and not have to worry about tacking a 40 minute round trip drive on top of that.

When I was babysitting, the majority of parents picked me up and brought me home...but we lived within 5 miles of them.

When I was a young teen, the parents of the child almost always did the driving.

However, both of my babysitters' parents expect to be the ones to drive them. I didn't ask them to--they just assumed. If they babysit during the day, I offer to take them back and sometimes they take me up on it. If it's at night, it's nice to have their parents get them because DS needs me to put him to bed and DH would not want to drive alone with a 14-year-old girl.

I guess it should be something that is individual to each situation.

I usually got myself there and back.

As a parent of the babysat, I would prefer the sitter get to my house on her/her own, since I am still dressing, but I wouldn't mind taking said sitter home.

As a parent of the sitter, I wouldn't want someone bringing my child home late at night, but then again, I wouldn't let my child sit for someone I didn't trust.

I don't think there's any hard and fast rules, usually, I negotiate pick up and drop off when I need a babysitter. Usually what ends up happening is that the babysitter's folks drop her off at our house, and I take her home. This works out well, because there's usually a set time we need the babysitter to be at the house, but there's not always an exact fixed time when we'll be back.

When I was a babysitting teen, the parents of the child I was watching always did all the driving. That was just how things were done. When my oldest was a toddler we had an awesome babysitter (the friend of a the COs daughter) and her mom always dropped her off, but that was because they lived in the middle of nowhere and the land the house sat on had lots of unmarked dirt roads, it wasn't easy to give directions to the house. We always took her home though which her mom was fine with because then the sitter could direct us where to drive to get to the house.

I expect to pick up and drop off when I hire a babysitter. When I babysat when I was younger, this was always how it worked.

However....

My name got passed around and once I sat for people I didn't know. The man who was to drive me home scared me, and he'd been drinking. At 13, I did not know how to handle the situation. I wanted to call my mom to pick me up, but was frightened to do so.

So, I think if your dd is sitting for people you know, that's one thing. But if my dd ever babysits for a family I don't know, I'll be doing the pickup!

I have had this happen enough times that I am curious if my expectations are wrong. My daughter(13) gets called to babysit and the parents want me to drive her back and forth. We have always transported our babysitters and when I babysat, the parents always came for me. Now, I understand unusual circumstance, like a single parent and sleeping children. If it was like that, I would be happy to help as I remember situations like that from back when I had to hire babysitters, instead of having them built in. BUT, i always talked to the parents of the sitter and asked for a favor(my husband is out of town, the kids will be asleep when I get back, could you possibly come pick up your daughter for me?) That kind of thing.

I am curious what is standard, because I admit to being annoyed that the parents want my daughter to babysit and also want me to drive her but I will get over it if I am the one who has weird expectations:D

Poll coming.

We usually drive her to the location and the parents for whom she is sitting return her after they get home.

If I'm paying a sitter, she needs to have her own transportation. The only exception would be an emergency OR if I had called her for a job last minute.

When one has any job outside of the home it is not the responsibility of the employer to provide transportation.

TBH, I wouldn't hire a sitter I was required to transport all the time. I pay very well for sitting and would just as soon hire somebody older if it became an issue.

I normally got myself to & from, but if it was the middle of the night, the parents of the kids I babysat would drive me home.

I think things have changed since then. We also delivered our own newspapers on our paper routes and did our own homework in those days. At some point, the distinction between "my responsibility" and "my parents' responsibility" seems to have blurred.

Other: When I babysat, when I hired babysitters and now that my dds babysit, it is typical to sort of split driving duties. The parents of the babysitter drop off the baby-sitter and parents of the kids drive the babysitter home.

:iagree: This is how it was done when I was a kid too. The parents of the kids were getting ready to go somewhere, soot made sense for my parents to drop off, and there was no way to know the exact time they would return, so they drove me home when they returned.

Apparently I'm in the minority because I'm more apt to think the parents of the babysitter.

Any person should be responsible for getting themselves back and forth to a paid job, and that includes a babysitter. If they're not old enough to drive themselves, they can get their parents to drive them.

That doesn't mean I'd never be willing to do it but for the most part I don't want to have to be expected to do it all the time.

Apparently I'm in the minority because I'm more apt to think the parents of the babysitter.

Any person should be responsible for getting themselves back and forth to a paid job, and that includes a babysitter. If they're not old enough to drive themselves, they can get their parents to drive them.

That doesn't mean I'd never be willing to do it but for the most part I don't want to have to be expected to do it all the time.

I agree completely.

It's hard enough for a teen to find a job when any adult (with their own car) would be more than happy to take a $12 an hour job - and provide their own transportation. Requiring your child's employers to provide transportation may just solidify those parents giving the job to an older teen or an adult. It may even be worth the extra money one would pay to an adult, to not have to worry (after an evening out or an appointment) getting the children in the car and driving an employee home.

Given, we do it for our sitter - but we LOVE her... and it isn't all the time.

When I babysat as a teen, the other parents drove me. I admit I felt uncomfortable at times - esp if the dad drove - but I couldn't have babysat otherwise because my parents would never have provided transportation.

Our few sitters have been able to drive, so we haven't had to face this situation so far.

Edited by kimmie38017

The parents of the sitter, but I make that clear on hiring that I won't be able to do much transporting of the sitter. I have 4 kids ranging from 9 to 1. When I hire a sitter it is because DH cannot watch them for whatever it is so picking up or returning a sitter would require packing up all the kids also back and forth.

I would have voted for "the parents of the children being babysat," but I voted "other" because we often split the transportation duties. We live in a rural area, so it's often a bit of a drive. If I'm already going to be going somewhere, I don't mind dropping dd off for a babysitting job. Also, if it's someone new, I'd prefer to see where they live, etc. I will also offer to pick DD up after a babysitting job if I have any suspicions that the parents might have had anything to drink while they were out. This has never happened to dd, but I remember, as a teenager, being driven home by folks that may have had a few drinks at dinner. It made me uncomfortable and is not a situation I want to put my children in.

My kids aren't old enough to babysit and if they were I would probably prefer to drive them myself.

But back when I babysat, my parents usually took me wherever it was that I was babysitting. Then one parent that I babysat for drove me home. I usually only babysat kids in my own neighborhood so I could walk between houses though.

When I was a teen, the ppl I worked for drove.

When I was a single parent, the sitter's parents drove if the sitter wasn't in walking distance.

I also pd for a cab upon occasion, if parents were ok w/that.

Since being married, Wolf drives, and I've also had the parents of the sitter drop off.

I voted other. I usually drop dd off, and the parents bring her home. When I was growing up, the parents always picked me up and brought me home until I could drive. My sitters have always been family, or the teenager across the street, but the one deviation from that, her mom brought her, we took her home. I would have picked her up and taken her home, but her mom wanted to see where we lived.

I am totally surprised by the numbers. As a teen, it was always my responsibility to get myself to and from a job. I have never hired a non-family member to babysit for me but if I did I would expect them to provide their own transportation. The reason being, I am not always good to drive at night and I would not be comfortable with my hubby having to drive a teen girl somewhere alone at night (for his own protection and for the reassurance of the teen and her parents). This means if he was going to have to drive her home we would all have to load up to return her. That alone would make me cancel my plans or find someone who could provide their own transportation.

Poll coming.

my mom and dad always drove me. there was one family i sat for, worked with mom, that he or she would [pick me up on their way home and the dad drove me home later - but he had worked with my mom professionally for years.

I think many (me included) would rather drive their own DD. Think about this -- DD babysat while the couple went out -- maybe the drank, maybe not, you do not know. i know i did not drink.

Also -- let's face it; the mom needs to tend the kids, so that leaves the Dad to drive the teen babysitter home. Most adult men are not going to be OK with that.

My hubby will not drive our sitters home unless we have 2 (sisters) -- i do it or their mom comes to get them.

Other: When I babysat, when I hired babysitters and now that my dds babysit, it is typical to sort of split driving duties. The parents of the babysitter drop off the baby-sitter and parents of the kids drive the babysitter home.

We do the same with our younger sitters who don't drive or don't have a vehicle available to them. When I babysat, I walked to the house & the parents drove me home.

We don't hire out very often because both my parents and my ILs live close, but when we do I'm always willing to pick up. In fact the girls I hire (sisters in the same family) live 20-25 minutes away, but the drive is worth it to me because I know my kids are safe and happy with them. Occasionally it works out that their parents are coming my way and they'll drop them off, and now the older of the two girls drives (but she also has a busier social life, so she's not always so available) which is nice. I do all the transporting if any is done.

I voted "other" because usually the babysitter gets dropped off or walks over (depends who it is), and we take her home. It's worked out this way partly because of who we hire, where they live, that we live near the middle/highschool so babysitter can walk from there, and sometimes we're going out with the babysitter's parents so we meet up here and they bring her.

When I babysat as a teen, most of my jobs were within walking distance, so I'd walk there and one of the parents would drive me home if it was late, or I'd walk if it was daytime.

We've only ever had one non-family member babysit. She drove herself for the last couple years (my #1 choice!) but before that her parents dropped her off and generally we took her home (on occasion, her parents were still nearby and picked her up after sitting). It seemed like whichever adult was where she was drove her.

She went to college this year and we really miss her.

This has been the "rule" since our girls started babysitting, and it's fine with us. If we can't drop them off, a parent from the family they will be working for will pick them up. When I was a kid, my parents always did both the picking up and dropping off of the sitter. This was also the case when I babysat.