Menu

My Letter to My DD's School re: Assigning Work Over Break

To [DD's] Teachers:

[DD] came home from school at the start of winter break with 57 pages of review work to be done for four different subjects as well as a paper to write for language arts.

[DD] has worked on these things nearly every day of her break but has not completed them. She told me that the only way she could complete her review packets was if she stayed up all night the night before she returned to school. I did not allow her to do this.

[DD] has informed me that these review packets will be graded and that, in Chemistry, anything not done on the review packet cannot be made up if it is missed on the test.

During the break, we traveled out of state to visit [DD's] grandparents as well as spending time with family in the area. I did not allow [DD] to work on her schoolwork during these visits. A break from school is, in my opinion, family time and should not be interfered with by assigned schoolwork.

Although I know that my objections probably won't affect how [DD's] teachers handle the assigning of credit for these review packets, I do wish to voice my objections to making students work on their holiday break. [Your School] is a very demanding school, and [DD] is busy throughout the school year with homework, internships, community service, and staying after school for extra help. Frankly, my husband and I resent the intrusion of yet more school responsibilities thrust into our vacation time with our daughter, and we feel that [DD] has not had a chance to have any down time during her supposed break from school. She was either working on her schoolwork or worrying about not getting it done.

I hope that, in the future, [Your School] will reconsider the policy of assigning school work during school breaks.

Sincerely,

TaraTheLiberator

(My dd's school doesn't like me very much. Schools claim that they want parent involvement, but in my experience that only applies when the school wants you to back them on whatever they choose to do. When you disagree with them, you are merely difficult and a troublemaker.)

(My dd's school doesn't like me very much. Schools claim that they want parent involvement, but in my experience that only applies when the school wants you to back them on whatever they choose to do. When you disagree with them, you are merely difficult and a troublemaker.)

If I had a dollar for every time I've said this about a school, gym, baseball team... These organizations really want a bunch of Stepford Moms.

Terri

It's one of the reasons that keep me homeschooling.

I think it's insane the amt of homework even young children are assigned, and it leaves very little family time available.

Evenings shouldn't need to be spent doing homework until bedtime. Children need time with their parents, not just continuing school work at all hours.

If the family wants to go away for the wknd, they shouldn't have to be stressed about what Mr. Smith has assigned for wknd work, and how to fit that in.

I honestly view it as another erosion of family and parental rights vs government/school control.

Some of the threads I've read recently, including this one, make me very appreciative of our school district. We've had our share of issues with the schools here, but they are very respectful of family.

My daughter is in 10th grade in ps, and didn't have anything assigned over the holiday break--no homework, reviews, papers, etc.

There was another thread about homework and testing. Our district allows one makeup day for every day a student misses school. So, if a student missed 5 days of school, they would have 5 days to make up work, tests, etc. after they return.

They have policies in place about certain absences being excused or unexecused, but IME, they excuse any absences a parent requests (including trips to Disney World). If I know we're going to be missing school for an extended period of time, I'll send an email to teachers. Otherwise, I just call in the day of the absence. We've never had a problem.

We're thinking of moving out of state, and these issues make me wonder what we might be getting ourselves into!

ETA: Good for you for you for standing up to them!!

Edited by chrisjo

I honestly view it as another erosion of family and parental rights vs government/school control.

Exactly. Whenever we have an issue with dd's school(s) (she's been in three since she came to us some years ago), dd always apologizes that I have to spend my time sorting it out. I always tell her not to apologize and that I relish any chance to remind the schools that THEY work for US and not the other way around and that they are there to serve OUR (collective our) needs, not the other way around. I tell my dd that WE (the public) are the bosses here, because it is OUR money that funds the schools.

And one of my hugest complaints about schools is how they try to subvert family and parental authority (see my thread entitled I Hate Schools about dd's principal attempting to influence dd's medical treatments).

A teacher also recently told my dd that the rest of her family (the vegan 4/5ths) would be unhealthy, develop health problems, and probably die early due to our diet. WTF??? Aside from being asinine and NUNYA!, what a freaking fantastic thing to say to a kid who was adopted from an orphanage because her parents were sick and ... you guessed it ... DIED!

Ok, now I'm all worked up!!

Tara

backbone +++

:hurray: :hurray:

what's the point of a break if they don't get a break?

Exactly! Is school break only for the teachers? Why call it a break if the teachers are sending so much work that the students need to do school work every day of their break? Why not call it 'homeschool for two weeks so us teachers can have a break' then?

To [DD's] Teachers:

[DD] came home from school at the start of winter break with 57 pages of review work to be done for four different subjects as well as a paper to write for language arts.

[DD] has worked on these things nearly every day of her break but has not completed them. She told me that the only way she could complete her review packets was if she stayed up all night the night before she returned to school. I did not allow her to do this.

[DD] has informed me that these review packets will be graded and that, in Chemistry, anything not done on the review packet cannot be made up if it is missed on the test.

During the break, we traveled out of state to visit [DD's] grandparents as well as spending time with family in the area. I did not allow [DD] to work on her schoolwork during these visits. A break from school is, in my opinion, family time and should not be interfered with by assigned schoolwork.

Although I know that my objections probably won't affect how [DD's] teachers handle the assigning of credit for these review packets, I do wish to voice my objections to making students work on their holiday break. [Your School] is a very demanding school, and [DD] is busy throughout the school year with homework, internships, community service, and staying after school for extra help. Frankly, my husband and I resent the intrusion of yet more school responsibilities thrust into our vacation time with our daughter, and we feel that [DD] has not had a chance to have any down time during her supposed break from school. She was either working on her schoolwork or worrying about not getting it done.

I hope that, in the future, [Your School] will reconsider the policy of assigning school work during school breaks.

Sincerely,

TaraTheLiberator

:hurray:Fantastic!

Good for you! Older dd just started ps this year for middle school and winter break happens right before midterms. :glare: She had homework in every class and worried about getting it all done her entire (so called) break. Now, the first week back from two weeks off is spent studying/cramming for exams next week. I think she's worked harder at middle school than I have in my college classes!

Tara, I totally love you.

I'm of the opinion that (this is elementary school) dd would have far less work over the break and even less homework if the stupid school would stop scheduling the yo-yo man, the trick basketball man, the jump rope team, the fundraising man, the magician...(these are all real assemblies so far this year). Less farting around with entertainment and more actual teaching of things that matter, IOW. The inefficiency in the classroom and in the school is so incredible, it makes me want to scream. And throw up. I know Jr Hi and High School are different, but there's still too much management of the classroom and not enough learning time. IMHO.

I think you did exactly the right thing, and you should think about sending it to the newspaper editorial section, too.

To [DD's] Teachers:

Sincerely,

TaraTheLiberator

Way to go Mom!!!!!:hurray:

I had teachers who used to assign work over holidays as well, it mad me so mad. I really wanted to ask them what they were going to be spending THEIR holidays doing! To bad I didn't have the guts to ask, it would have been interesting to hear their response.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: Schools are robbing way too much time from families.

Exactly. Whenever we have an issue with dd's school(s) (she's been in three since she came to us some years ago), dd always apologizes that I have to spend my time sorting it out. I always tell her not to apologize and that I relish any chance to remind the schools that THEY work for US and not the other way around and that they are there to serve OUR (collective our) needs, not the other way around. I tell my dd that WE (the public) are the bosses here, because it is OUR money that funds the schools.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Growing up (graduated high school in the early '80s), I always had mid-terms to prepare for over the break. And a project/paper or two to finish. Hated it. I was so glad when my oldest was in ps high school (one year) that school started earlier (early to mid-August), and finished the semester, including exams, before the break. Which meant they got a real break. We structured our schedule like that too, once we started homeschooling, his sophomore year of high school.

Absolutely!

And one of my hugest complaints about schools is how they try to subvert family and parental authority (see my thread entitled I Hate Schools about dd's principal attempting to influence dd's medical treatments).

A teacher also recently told my dd that the rest of her family (the vegan 4/5ths) would be unhealthy, develop health problems, and probably die early due to our diet. WTF??? Aside from being asinine and NUNYA!, what a freaking fantastic thing to say to a kid who was adopted from an orphanage because her parents were sick and ... you guessed it ... DIED!

Ok, now I'm all worked up!!

Tara

Blows my mind that a teacher thinks they have the right to comment on a family's choices that way. The fact that it's completely ignorant, and without any basis in fact aside, who does this person think they are, taking it upon themselves to discuss family lifestyle with a minor? Wth?

Great letter. I am so sorry you and your child have to deal with this. I remember going to school (a looong time ago) and I don't recall doing any work over break, except for reading. It was an excellent, highly regarded (and competitive!) private school in New York City. I read about the amount of homework children have these days at school and I just can't believe it. My friend's 4th grader, in public school in NYC, had FOUR HOURS of homework one night in December. FOUR HOURS!! WTH?

What's interesting is the Finnish school system, one of the top (if not THE top) in the world, never assigns more than 30 minutes of homework IN HIGH SCHOOL, never mind the younger grades.

Unreal.

This might be interesting for you to read, Tara. My guess is you've read this and this.

Edited by Halcyon

I didn't assign any math homework over the break for my ps kids (8th grade). No one on my team assigned any homework over the break, though some kids were supposed to make up things they didn't do beforehand (not due to illness).

One teacher had to grade SEVERAL English papers over her break though, and others had tests to grade as they gave tests the day or two before break.

Personally, I opted to get all of my grading done before break too.

I enjoy a nice break. ;)

I hope your letter opens eyes and changes things.

My son showed me a copy of the sunday peanuts stip in dec that said happiness is a Christmas vacation without a book report. It's the 12/18/11 strip if you want to include that in your letter. Ds didn't have to write a report, but he had to read "Of Mice and Men" and document a lot of literary devices. Sicko book for holiday break in my opinion.

My ds had to do the same thing! The high school two of my kids attend is actually pretty good about school work. The honor or AP classes do have work over the weekends and breaks, but we know about that up front and sign a form that we agree to do it. Other classes do not assign work most weekends or breaks.

Popular in our area is the Summer Reading List. I always think reading some of those 'classics' over the summer would be horrendous. UGH I remember having to read a Dickens novel over Christmas Break when I was in High School. I broke it down into (x) pages each day. And it was still torture.

The high school kids at my local ps have lots of work to do over the holiday break and even during the summer break. (I would never be able to get away with asking my college students to do as much work as the high school students are supposed to do over the summer BEFORE a class even begins.) Most of it seems to be silly, busy work, but I am amazed at the number of parents who seem proud to brag about how much "work" their kids are required to do.

If parents brought home as much work to do in the evening and over the weekend as many of the kids bring home from school, the school would criticize the parents for being "workaholics" and unconcerned about their kids and family life.

Another who thinks "good for you, mama!" I'd have no problem with a school assigning a small amount of reading material over summer break (especially for AP classes; we had to do that in high school, and it was not that big of a deal, except that Les Miserables is a really long book, sigh), or suggesting a few areas of math where a student could practice over a break (like "spend 5 minutes a day going over multiplication facts" or something), but your DD's school sounds ridiculous. I think you should definitely cc the school board, the newspaper, and anyone else you can. Schools *do* work for the taxpayers, and we do need to remind them of that sometimes.

You should absolutely copy this letter to the principal. The reason for the huge amount of homework may be partially school, district, or even *state* policy, and not just the responsibility of the individual teachers, depending on the state. So the higher up the chain you send it, the better, IMHO.

I agree with some pp's - college was much less stressful and even less time-consuming than high school in regards to the assignments required outside of class. Not to mention, college takes up a lot less time *in* class!! The assignments you do have in college are higher stakes, though.

Tara, I :001_wub: your courage and willingness to stand up to the system. Please come back and share their response if they give you one!

I think college is easier than high school. When the quarter is over and you are heading into the Christmas or Spring break - the quarter is over! No extra assignments! You work your tail off, then you can relax.

I'd be interested what kind of response the OP will receive.

Sue, you are so right. Ds is a freshman, and I have told him several times he has entered the four hardest years of his life. He was surprised and asked about college, I replied that in college, you usually only have 4 or 5 classes a semester, not 7, and only meet w/ each one twice a week, not 5. More time for homework and studying, so essentially less work.

Popular in our area is the Summer Reading List. I always think reading some of those 'classics' over the summer would be horrendous. UGH I remember having to read a Dickens novel over Christmas Break when I was in High School. I broke it down into (x) pages each day. And it was still torture.

I'm actually in favor of summer reading... I don't think reading should be just a "school time" activity. As a homeschool mom, my guys always had to be reading though we mixed it up between fun and classics.

Another poster mentioned Les Miserables being long with a sigh. My middle son thinks it's one of the best books he ever read - maybe second to Crime and Punishment. Youngest is reading and enjoying it (Les Miserables) now - unabridged. Everyone is different. In contrast, middle son hated Pride and Prejudice and considers it the worst book he's ever read. I'm not making youngest read that one. Actually, I'm not making youngest read Les Miserables either - he's reading it off the positive review from middle son.

I never assign work over holidays. It's a holiday!

I'm curious: is your semester over later? Or did it finish before you went on break? If it's finished, there's no way that work should be considered for the 2nd semester grade. How can you be graded when school is not officially in session?

Rooting for you...

I think it's a great letter. We are fortunate in that our school district is very family-oriented. My high schoolers have always taken a class or two at the local ps, and they never have homework assigned over vacation. The school is also real good about allowing family vacations during the school year, as along as the student lets the teacher know ahead of time so they can figure out how to make up missed work.

I'm curious: is your semester over later? Or did it finish before you went on break?

Our schools don't run on semesters, they run on quarters. The second quarter is over on January 13th.

The local schools run on some dumb hybrid of traditional/year-round schooling. It's neither.

Tara