Menu

How do you all deal with belated gift requests to Santa?

My son has added another gift to his list to Santa, just today :glare: He knows very well he won't get everything he asked for, but I did most of my shopping a fair while ago, and he's asking for one or two other things which I didn't purchase (serves me right for trying to get things done ahead of time!!!!) Anyway, we're trying to keep our Christmas "simple" this year: just three gifts per child, plus some pajamas.

He just wrote a long email (again, I wish they hadn't discovered Santa has email! I used to say "It's too late and Santa won't get your letter in time".) Here's what he wrote:

"I am so sorry for this late request, but I am really hoping you can get me {gift} for Christmas. Please, please and I love you".

:glare:

Sigh. What would you do? I would so hate for him to be disappointed on Christmas morning (we really don't buy gifts throughout the year), but I need to stick to my "simple is better" guns, right?

PS I'm on the verge of running to the toy store now...talk me down!!! :lol: Oh, and of course, one more gift for younger means...you guessed it.....one more gift for older....and the overconsumption spiral begins anew.....

Edited by Halcyon

I'm not any help. My 4 year old was talking with me and mentioned casually he wanted a certain toy yesterday. This year my kids have asked for two things each like last week (oh and one of those four requests were yesterday) and wouldn't ya know, I didn't get either item. I'm going tomorrow to fill the last minute requests. They would be completely happy with what we got them, but I feel if the child isn't like asking for the entire store, then I should attempt to fulfill their wishes. That said, I am only getting one of the two items since it was such a last minute request though. If you have the money and can afford it, I say go for it.

:lol:

and :grouphug:

You're not obligated to buy the gift; you're not obligated to stick to the three gifts if it will really warm your heart to buy each kid another. The kids will have a fabulous Christmas either way.

I'm no help at all, am I? :D

Although, ahem, each of my kids got one extra gift this year because I saw something I couldn't pass up! And I normally stick pretty close to the simple Christmas plan.

Cat

Ugh. I understand your frustration. I would want to just say no, but the reality is I might rush out and get him what he wants.

My oldest dd is getting an American Girl doll for the first time this year and has changed her mind three times in the last month about which one she wanted, finally settling on the one with red hair and freckles like hers. Well, a month ago I bought the one with carmel colored hair and blue eyes that she wanted then. There is no way I can return it now, so oh well.

Does your son have a birthday coming up? My 6 year old had a lot on his list and I have calmed myself by remembering his birthday is coming up in Feb. and I can save the rest for then.

My 12 year old talked about a gift TODAY and I actually did order it but it is on backorder and will not arrive for Christmas.

He is going to get a picture of said item with a "it is coming" card.

However, we don't do Santa here so that isn't an issue.

Dawn

I am no help either. In previous years I've done better with keeping it simple but just this week I bought three additional gifts because I saw people post about cool things I hadn't heard of before. I say if it's not a financial burden do it. 4 gifts a piece isn't unreasonable. I would say keeping it simple means not going in to debt or ruining your budget in an effort to win your child's affection with material things. That doesn't sound like what you would be doing at all.

I'm bad. If it's reasonable and you can do it (money, etc), I probably would go get it. BUT, i totally understand if you don't! I'm just a sucker...and as long as mine still believe in Santa...I would do it!

Me too. I am a softie this time of year, but it's okay if you feel like you should stick with what you've already gotten.

I state that "nobody gets everything they ask from Santa, unless their wish list is very modest."

I actually only let my kids request 1 item this year. They said "we need to make a list" and I said "I already sent Santa an email." Only problem with that is that they now assume that they are absolutely going to get what they requested. Which they are, but what if they weren't . . . .

They are getting more than they requested, but I'd rather err on the side of them being pleasantly surprised than the opposite.

Now as for your son's last-minute request, it would depend on whether I wanted to run out and pick it up. I am not against kids being disappointed, but I'm not against them being pleased on Christmas either.

If it's a valid request...meaning one that is reasonable and special...then I would probably go out and get it before Christmas, if it were not a financial burden to do so. To resolve the problem of having an uneven number of gifts for siblings, can you return (or save for a birthday) one of the gifts that you already purchased for this child?

Well, I think you can go either way and not feel guilty. It really depends on whether you felt something was missing. How much it is, etc.... For *ME*, while I understand simplifying, I'm not big on a hard and fast 3 (or whatever) gift rule. I kept thinking of exceptions and wondering if accessories had to be packaged together or not. :). So, we just keep it moderate.

For US----my dd is NOT getting the Uggs she wants and has been asking about for several months.

But last week, she mentioned wanting a scooter to replace one that was stolen last summer. dh, later, brought up that younger's scooter is broken and also needs replaced. THAT they are getting. But we had been missing a big item and hadn't wanted to spend, just to spend.

Have relatives asked for gift ideas of what to get? Perhaps you could have them get it. Santa could have told them right since the request was made too late ;)

I did this with one of my 9 yo's requests. My sister is getting it for him.

Now, my 4yo will not being getting his other request. Devastator is waaaay to expensive on Ebay. :tongue_smilie:

When I was a kid, my mom would tell me that Santa stops taking requests after a certain date because he has so many children to think about. She would tell me that the elves would only make a certain number of toys per request and that when it got so close to Christmas, the elves weren't making toys anymore but were getting everything packaged and ready to go on the sleigh.

Of course with commercials today, it looks like Santa uses a credit card at the toy store to buy gifts, so I don't know how one would handle that approach. Maybe his credit card is maxed out?

I've never had to deal with this because we didn't really do much Santa. If the gift was something minor, I would probably get it and pick up one more small thing for the other child. If it's a large gift, I would be honest and say that everything for Christmas is done but they can use their Christmas gift cards and money to buy the gift they want. (My family likes to give gift cards and cash as gifts.)

The elves need time to make the toys. They have to get them all made so they can wrap them (even if not in wrapping paper, then shrink wrap), boxes, etc. and get them loaded in the sleigh at least 2-3 weeks before Christmas. (I actually told this to an older child -- she got the message on late requests and the illusion wasn't ruined for little sister.)

I do have one late requestor who will ask for it for his birthday instead, but he's the one with just 2 more weeks after Christmas to wait for that.

Edited by higginszoo

Can you generate an auto-response stating that the sleigh is being packed and wishes received after x date will be considered for next year's list :D

I'd do it, since 4 gifts instead of 3 won't make any of you gluttons, but I can walk to the mall. Dealing with traffic would give me pause.

I'm bad. If it's reasonable and you can do it (money, etc), I probably would go get it. BUT, i totally understand if you don't! I'm just a sucker...and as long as mine still believe in Santa...I would do it!

:iagree: Mine are nine and thirteen now and know better than to make last minute Christmas requests, but when they were younger and Did tell me at the last minute about things they hoped Santa would bring, I did my best to make sure that all their hopes for Christmas morning were met. If you can do it and want to do it, I wouldn't feel any guilt about making Christmas one present less "simple!"

I've just been telling mine that I'm done shopping. If they all of sudden came up with a request I'd be afraid it was just a whim anyway. I like the line about the sleigh being packed for those that do Santa. I don't see that kids have to get everything they ask for to be happy.

At first I thought he had sent the email to YOU asking for a gift. In which case I was thinking no, because I wouldn't want to encourage asking people for gifts.

But then I saw the email was actually to Santa, and really if you want him to "believe" another year and it is within your means and not an outrageous request, I would probably do it.

Not Santa related, but I found out my 10 year old was hoping for a certain gift that he hadn't asked Santa for and I know no one is getting it for him. Even though my shopping and wrapping was all done weeks ago, you can bet I went out and got that gift this week. And an extra for his brother so to make it even. Because I am a marshmallow at Christmas time.

I'm not certain you should be taking advice from someone who tends to go overboard on Christmas......

DD wrote her letter to Santa - asking for a Maplea doll (the Canadian version of AG). So I ordered it. That SAME night as I was tucking her in, she tells me that she saw an ad on Webkinz for AG and that is, in fact, the doll that she really wants.

I literally race downstairs and call to cancel the Maplea doll and rush to get an AG doll ordered (bless 'em they do deliver to Canada!). AG doll arrives a couple of days later, and the next day the Maplea doll arrives - even though I cancelled it!!! They offer to send a courier to pick it up - but I rationalize that she is our only daughter so 2 dolls is OK afterall.

I'm such a sucker.

In our house christmas lists must be finalized by the first Saturday in December. If you want to add or remove an item after that date you are out of luck. Generally by Christmas day there is a post it note on the fridge with the beginnings of a birthday wish list (and I use it for ideas when filling easter baskets).

Umm you only have 3 gifts each right -that is hardly overconsumption ;) I think my kids have about 3x that and I'm not done yet :001_huh:

Plus your boy is 7 - how many more letters to Santa is he going to write.

Go and get the gift if you can afford it.

I remember when my sister was about that age - she was on the cusp of not believing. She saw somethng that could only be ordered from tv and shipped (this was before internet) about 3 days before Christmas and said "I'd really like that - Santa could get it if he were real".

Well I got on that phone and had it rush shipped and she got it Christmas morning - the look on her face :D That was the last year she believed in Santa though.

My son has added another gift to his list to Santa, just today :glare: He knows very well he won't get everything he asked for, but I did most of my shopping a fair while ago, and he's asking for one or two other things which I didn't purchase (serves me right for trying to get things done ahead of time!!!!) Anyway, we're trying to keep our Christmas "simple" this year: just three gifts per child, plus some pajamas.

He just wrote a long email (again, I wish they hadn't discovered Santa has email! I used to say "It's too late and Santa won't get your letter in time".) Here's what he wrote:

"I am so sorry for this late request, but I am really hoping you can get me {gift} for Christmas. Please, please and I love you".

:glare:

Sigh. What would you do? I would so hate for him to be disappointed on Christmas morning (we really don't buy gifts throughout the year), but I need to stick to my "simple is better" guns, right?

PS I'm on the verge of running to the toy store now...talk me down!!! :lol: Oh, and of course, one more gift for younger means...you guessed it.....one more gift for older....and the overconsumption spiral begins anew.....

It's too bad Santa can't be in charge of b-days too. When my kids slip a last-minute request when I'm finished shopping I tell them that it would make a great birthday present. I don't know if it helps that we don't do Santa. They know the gifts are from us. It also helps that we don't have any late fall birthdays. Its just another 3-6 month wait.

Well, I went out...but ended up getting him something else from his list LOL because I was going to Michael's for wrapping paper anyway...does that count? It was smencils, and I got some for his brother too....I am still thinking of getting his "special request" tomorrow...I have an hour break from work in the afternoon :lol:

Another problem I am dealing with is the fact that older simply doesn't want a lot for Christmas!! He didn't ask for very many things, and pretty much is getting what he asked for. If I want to keep "balance" under the tree, I am going to have to think of something to get him....Hmmm......:lol: How much do you think he'd love to get a globe? Saw a good one on sale for $20-I've been meaning to get one for our homeschool anyway.......:tongue_smilie: (that's almost as bad as the underwear I got for Christmas when I was young..."um...thanks Mom....")

Well, I went out...but ended up getting him something else from his list LOL because I was going to Michael's for wrapping paper anyway...does that count? It was smencils, and I got some for his brother too....I am still thinking of getting his "special request" tomorrow...I have an hour break from work in the afternoon :lol:

OK, so basically instead of getting the one extra gift or no extra gift at all, you're buying multiple gifts instead. :D

Welcome to my world (and bring your Visa card...) ;)

I'm no help either! Santa is usually really simple stuff around here and we really try to keep our holidays simple, but my older dd decided to write Santa a letter last week. Her requests: slippers, socks and a surprise.

Yes, I made all of those requests happen though I had not planned on them and yes I got a couple of other (practical!) things for the other littles. It was a joy to do it! I love makIng reasonable requests from my kids happen.

Would it bring you joy or be an added burden to fulfill the request?

I really don't think that either decision would be "bad", you know? I think it's *good* for kids not to get everything they ask for. And something he's asking for at the last minute probably isn't a really "deep" want, you know? He will be thrilled with the other gifts he gets on Christmas, and if you do need to say at some point, "Yeah, sometimes we don't get everything we ask for, but you sure got some great stuff today" to help him process, well, it's a good lesson.

On the other hand, if you break down and run to the toy store to get him one last thing? ;) Well, if you're raising him to have a grateful heart, one extra gift that fulfills a last minute wish won't ruin that. :) ... I remember when I was 18, I got home from college for Christmas break and my 6yo sister told Mom two days before Christmas, "Santa said he would bring me Chocolate the Moose for Christmas". Did she *need* one more Beanie Baby?!?! No way! Would it have been completely reasonable for Mom to respond, "Hmph!"? Of course. :) But I was her big sister and I *could* go hunt it down and it gave me joy to do so and she was thrilled to get it and ... :) It was nice.

If he doesn't get the gift, he'll live and probably never even notice. If he gets the gift, he'll be happy and you'll be happy and it won't turn him into a spoiled, materialistic brat. :)

Now, personally, with my own kids, I remind them throughout the season of "wishlists on the fridge" that these may be suggestions, but they will absolutely *not* be getting everything on the lists. We also surprise them with things not on the lists -- things they might not even know about. So I'd just ignore a last-minute request.

But giving our kids gifts they'll love is such fun. :)