Menu

How much was your wedding dress???

My dress was $550, I believe. I had a friend who specialized in making wedding dresses copy one I liked, which would have been twice the price. Plus, she made my slip and veil and the ring bearer's pillow included. The budget for the entire wedding was about $5000. This was in 1994.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$50. I talked the consignment guy down because it had a stain on it.

I got the stain out by soaking it in ALL detergent.

I called the dress maker company on the dress garment bag and they said their dresses were custom designed and started at $1,000 and went up from there. That was back in 1995.

I paid an additional $60 for alterations and changing it from an off the shoulder long sleeve to a shouldered 3/4 sleeve.

Dawn

FREE!

Short version: My friend's mom bought her a terrific beautiful gown for her upcoming wedding. Before it was altered (but after paid for), friend and mom had falling out and the mom (an emotional lady who was divorced from friend's dad) refused to pay for the wedding any more (oh, and friend's dad was out of the picture). So, friend and fiance decided on small ceremony at a justice of the peace and she decided to wear just "a nice church dress." So, she had this white dress and the price included alterations. When I announced my engagement she offered me the dress which is just what I would've picked anyway. So, I got it altered to fit me and asked her to be a bridesmaid (and I paid for her bridesmaid dress to thank her). I wrote her mom a thank you as she knew about the arrangement and was just glad that the dress was used.

I think they paid $600 for it.

$99 + shipping ($25) from eBay.

The dress retailed for $6,800 - a designer gown (French import) that had been used in one trunk show and the model measurements provided seemed like it would fit me perfectly. DH thought I was nuts ordering without trying on....but the gown was absolutely gorgeous - hand beaded, all silk (including under layers), fully open back, yet modest for my taste (I do have a good back). The seller had had it online for forever and no one was buying (you needed to be tall for it to work since altering for shorter would ruin it) - when I offered $99 she took it. It arrived and fit like a glove - it was perfect! It had been dry cleaned and didn't need any alterations - as DH said, it was like it was made for me!

Bought off the clearance rack at a discount place in 1997 - $200, $50 for alterations (I am very short). It's in a box now.

I wanted to wear my mom's dress- but it was never properly stored. Just in a cedar closet - it was yellowed all down one side from the sun. I cried!

I'd been looking at that wedding pic of my mom for 21 years and we both wanted me to wear it...oh well. My mom was adamant I preserve my dress so my future kids could use it.

Of course, since I did all that no one will want it! :tongue_smilie:

Oh well!

Michele

The dress retailed for $6,800 - a designer gown (French import) that had been used in one trunk show and the model measurements provided seemed like it would fit me perfectly. DH thought I was nuts ordering without trying on....but the gown was absolutely gorgeous - hand beaded, all silk (including under layers), fully open back, yet modest for my taste (I do have a good back). The seller had had it online for forever and no one was buying (you needed to be tall for it to work since altering for shorter would ruin it) - when I offered $99 she took it. It arrived and fit like a glove - it was perfect! It had been dry cleaned and didn't need any alterations - as DH said, it was like it was made for me!

cool story!

I got married in 1999 and my dress was $365 with alterations. I bought it used and it was gorgeous -- my dream dress. In fact, it was the only dress I tried on. We didn't even mean to go out dress shopping that day. We drove by a bridal store and a dress in the window caught my eye. I wasn't impressed with the price tag :tongue_smilie: Then either my mom or someone who worked there (can't remember) found that one on the racks, I tried it on, and that was it. Quickest dress shopping trip ever! I think our entire wedding was $4,000-$5,000. We had well over 100 guests, served a full buffet meal with extras, and had a DJ. DH and I were not willing to go into debt to get married.

I wore my mother's gown. It cost me about $120 for some alterations, and I re-made the veil myself. The materials for the veil (I used the original Juliette cap and replaced everything else) probably cost around $100 also. I don't remember. I would say less than $250 for my gown and veil.

My mom got the gown from a dry cleaner. It was brought to them for cleaning, then never picked up. It was brand new, never worn, and she paid $50 for it back in 1954!

My wedding dress was actually jeans, tennis shoes and a blue sweater. I had all of these prior to the wedding, or Vegas elopement, so they didn't really cost me anything than what I originally paid for them.

However, I did buy a dress for the reception we were guilted in to having a couple months later and it was $80.00 at Talbots.

My girls and I have been watching "Say Yes to the Dress" and I can't get over the price of these dresses. My dress was about $300 and alterations were another $200. I think my whole catered wedding was less than some of these dresses.

So, how much was your dress? Did you pay for it or did your parents? One girl's fiancee was paying for the whole wedding. The dress she wanted was something like $15,000 dollars but he'd only budgeted $10,000! She got the dress she wanted anyway. LOL

I wore my grandmother's wedding dress which my mother also had worn. It did not need to be altered but I did have to replace the lace. I didn't get anything fancy. I don't think the lace cost more than $30 and I sewed it on myself, then whatever the drycleaning bill was. That's it. I'm a simple girl. :D

ETA: I also made my veil very simple and trimmed with the new lace, and wore shoes that I already owned.

Edited by silliness7

It was my mother's. Drycleaning bill only. We went cheap with everything and did it all for cash. My dh was a machinist and I worked at a gas station. I do wish we had splurged on a photographer. We have lots of snapshots (Pretty sure they're mostly useless now.) but most people take terrible pictures. The church had terrible lighting, and a real photographer would have known what to do about that.

So, I do not regret not getting a fancy new dress. I do regret not taking the day itself a little more seriously.

Early 1980s, $250, very elaborate satin and lace dress which had tiny pearls and sequins hand sewn on it and which had a long train and beautiful veil -- made by a professional seamstress. The materials were not included in the price, and I don't recall how much they cost. I think I got a bargain.

Edited by RoughCollie

$70 for the materials for my mil to make it. She did a beautiful job, and I got something simple, like I wanted. When dh and I first started dating, we went to the wedding of church friends of theirs and mil had made that bride's dress so I knew she was an awesome seamstress. For mine, I think she used three different patterns to get the skirt, bodice and sleeves I wanted.

Last year, my dd wore the dress to a homeschool ball. A friend took off the lace overlay bodice/sleeves and put in straps and I used fabric paint to color the skirt purple. It was gorgeous on her, and I was so glad we found a 2nd use for it. She didn't quite fill out the bodice, but other than that it fit almost perfectly. 73568_485130615066_731245066_7324499_2444165_n.jpg

I got married 10 years ago. (Sheesh, am I really THAT old already?!)

My wedding dress was $400, which my soon to be MIL thought was too much. Not that she paid for it, or anything. She just like to share her opinions. :glare: I paid for it.

My alterations were done free by a friend who did them for a living, so I made out well there.

My dress was perfect for me, very pretty. A very traditional style gown.

I think around $100-125 and that was over 30 years ago. My parents were always on a budget. My Dad was a public school administrator and as we know the p.s. employees do not receive what they are worth.

No alterations. It was the 2nd to the least expensive dress. I just didn't want the least expensive and decided I would have to go at least the 2nd to the cheapest....:tongue_smilie:

How might one find out if one's back might be considered "good"?

:lol:

J/K, Tigger. The dress sounds lovely!

Mine was right under £100.00, off the rack, no alterations needed, back in 1991. We had our reception at my dh's boss' house; our closest friends did the catering and they also gave us one night's hotel stay.

I did have a different dress (just over £100.00) for the second reception in Spain a week later and we paid for dh's relatives' flights there (they had all flown into the UK from 3 different continents for our wedding) and our best man's.

Mom made my dress. I think the fabric was $20 or less a yard but it was a lot of yards. Then there was the beading and stuff. It was custom made to fit me though. I get the feeling it was under $500.

The whole wedding was under $5000, I think. Mom and dad paid for it all.

I live in Chicago. I am so impressed with people who have weddings that cost in the 4 figures.

I found my perfect dress at JcPenney when they had a bridal department. I paid about $150 off the clearance rack. I think the alterations lady felt bad for me she made the dress fit me perfectly and did not charge me for alterations. It had to be taken in and up.

I wore my mom's dress. My parents would have bought me a dress, but I loved my mom's dress and really wanted to wear it. It was an all lace 70's style dress with an empire waist- perfect for my hippy style! We paid about $120 to have it altered, by cutting off the second ruffle at the bottom that made it look too dated. It was beautiful and I loved it. My mom's veil was also beautiful, with lace trim all along the edges. I considered buying my own veil, but I couldn't find anything I liked better than my mom's veil, so I wore that too.

DH paid for our wedding 25 years ago. He graduated from college the following week; we were very young and very poor.

My dress was actually a prom dress, off the clearance rack for $50.

We recently found the receipt for our wedding rings - less than $300 for all three rings - engagement and both wedding rings.

Thankfully we didn't plan/pay much for the reception because it was called off due to a blizzard. :lol: We just spent the night in a local hotel, as DH had final exams starting the next day. We walked across the street in the blizzard to eat at Pizza Hut, since we were starving and the reception was called off.

DH always said he was going to take me on a dream vacation for our 25th anniversary to make up for our wedding and lack of honeymoon. He did. :D

My dress was $85.00 brand new from a bridal shop. It actually was a bridesmaid dress which had a choice of colors that it came in, and one color just happened to be ivory. It was tea length. My bridesmaids had the exact same dress in royal blue. The dresses were very pretty. I know there were alteraltions, but I don't remember how much that cost. My parents paid for the dress and alterations. I borrowed a ivory colored veil and bought an ivory colored little satin purse and I got ivory colored satin high heels. My mom made my bouquet as well as the bouquets my bridesmade had.

Not that you asked, but....our reception was in the gym of an old school. It was potluck. We provided the meat and friends from our church brought everything else (they wanted to!). We had a live band play, which happened to be some guys from our church. Even though we didn't spend much money, everyone loved our wedding.

I didn't even see mine till the night before we got married! My best friend and I were the same size, with the same taste... And dress shopping had me beyond stressed, to the point that girlfriend thought I might back out of the wedding. She took on the dress shopping. :) It was a beautiful, deep purple velvet - and off the clearance rack for $27!!!!

We were starving students, paid for everything ourselves. It was perfect.

By the way, we chose our wedding date 10 years before we got married. :D

I think my entire wedding was under 5k, but I found my dream dress and it needed no alterations, fit perfectly, at a time when it was hard to find convservative dresses...I don't know how my girls will find a dress when their time comes, I love watching those wedding dress shows but so many are soo revealing and crazy sexy...I just think there's a great deal more about the covenant than letting everyone know what size bra cup you wear....oh the dress was $900 and both my girls want to wear it (granted they're only 12/13 and I bet they won't but maybe it'll save me some money later on! :)) However one of my girls is 5'9 at 13 and the other is 5'3 at 12...hopefully, the taller one will wear it first so it can be shortened taken in for my little one! :)

weddingpic.jpg

Edited by ma23peas

I got married 30 years ago (sheesh!) and my dress was about $500 with alterations. My dh's sister got married 2 months later. We did not realize we had worn the SAME dress until a few months later when we were looking at wedding pics. :001_smile:

That is hilarious! How did you not know? (not being snarky, but just having difficulty imagining that.) My sister and I were married two months apart and we had many discussions about dresses, what we liked and didn't. We were both slim, but she was angular where I am a little curvier; her height was in her torso whereas mine was in my legs. What looked good on her didn't on me and vice-versa. I still remember every detail of her dress and how well it suited her. I don't think she cared as much about my dress as it was not her taste (too traditional looking for her) and she got married two months before me.

It was my mother's. Drycleaning bill only. We went cheap with everything and did it all for cash. My dh was a machinist and I worked at a gas station. I do wish we had splurged on a photographer. We have lots of snapshots (Pretty sure they're mostly useless now.) but most people take terrible pictures. The church had terrible lighting, and a real photographer would have known what to do about that.

We didn't have a photographer either. Too expensive. I really wish that we did have some professional shots. We also had our table flowers picked from the back fields on the morning of the wedding by my mother. (One of the guests at the wedding pointed out that it was illegal to have done that.):glare: My dress was about $300 and bought at an outlet store. I absolutely hated it! My mother wanted something fancy and lacy, but I wanted simplicity. I was only 19 though and in no position to argue since my parents were paying. Looking back I wish we had eloped.