Menu

Anyone else have to clean the house before vacation?!?!?

What am I thinking? Why can't I let it go? I am heading out of town tomorrow for 2 weeks and I am CLEANING! Almost done with the floors and then a quick hit to the bathrooms (did them well this weekend). Dusted and changed the sheets yesterday. I wish I could just let it go so I can finish packing!!! Is anyone else like this?

Now packing...that's a whole other story :tongue_smilie:. I can't pack light to SAVE MY LIFE!

Really needed to vent and now I'm back to cleaning!

What am I thinking? Why can't I let it go? I am heading out of town tomorrow for 2 weeks and I am CLEANING! Almost done with the floors and then a quick hit to the bathrooms (did them well this weekend). Dusted and changed the sheets yesterday. I wish I could just let it go so I can finish packing!!! Is anyone else like this?

Now packing...that's a whole other story :tongue_smilie:. I can't pack light to SAVE MY LIFE!

Really needed to vent and now I'm back to cleaning!

I don't have to clean. But everything must be picked up. It has to look like it is clean. Drives my kids crazy. This time it drove dh crazy. he's usually at work when it happens.

And I can't pack light either. It's the reason I have a small purse. I have to keep putting things in there until it is full. Then it is too heavy to carry!

Doing a proper springclean before we went on our last holiday was such a good idea - coming home was like an extension of the holiday. I also washed and tried all our clothes before we left the last place we stayed at, so I didn't even have the usual mountain of post-holiday laundry to deal with. I'll definitely do the same again.

We just got back from an 11hour car trip with 7 kids. The house was spotless when I walked in. Such a good feeling. It was a wreck 30 minutes later.

Oh well. Maybe that's why we clean before we leave? Because we know it will stay clean the WHOLE time we're gone.

Actually, any time the whole family is leaving to go anywhere I make everyone clean up on the way out. They want to hurry me so they clean faster....

My house has to be spotless, too. There's nothing worse than coming home from a long trip to a dirty house .:glare:

:iagree: When I walk in the door from vacations, I want to collapse onto the sofa and not move. If my house was dirty, I would feel the need to immediately start cleaning up and I would probably cry. :tongue_smilie:

Wow! I am so glad to see I'm not the only one making myself crazy before vacation!! I feel much better now :lol:.

It does feel good to come home to a clean house instead of a mess. We have a washer/dryer where we are going so I'm hoping to not have a ton of laundry to do when I get home either. Everything here is clean except for one load of laundry I hope to get to before I go. It may still be sitting in the dryer when I get back, but I'll take it.

Now if I could just finish the packing! We leave in 5 hours :auto:

I don't get drastic with the cleaning but I do like to tidy up before I go. Dh insists on cleaning out the car, vacuuming it, and washing it before vacation. Yeah, it's going to get dirty, but he can't relax when the car's already a mess.

It's so nice coming home to a cleaned-up house. Especially because we're usually so tired when we get back. I thought everyone did this until I watched my neighbor's pets while they went on vacation. The sink had dirty dishes and the trash bin was full :eek: I think it surprised me because she tends to be tidier on the whole than I am. Oh well, to each his own.

Dh insists on cleaning out the car, vacuuming it, and washing it before vacation. Yeah, it's going to get dirty, but he can't relax when the car's already a mess.

n.

I'm with your dh on this one! I love a clean car! I also try to pack lightly enough that all of our luggage fits into the way back so I don't have to see them. And, with teenaged boys, we need all the room we can get for legs (and feet)!

I clean my house top to bottom before we go anywhere. I don't, however, dust. I figure I'm going to have to do that right away when we come home anyway. With all the stuff I have to put away after a vacation,the last thing I want is to come home with cleaning that needs to be done!

Also, I try to double up a couple of our meals before we leave and freeze them so that we have meals for a couple days upon our return! I also have things available for breakfast and lunch for a couple days.

Definitely not all the way clean the way some people probably have but all the counters are neat, no stray papers on the floor, laundry done, and things generally neater and tidier than they may be going out for a few hours. Also, all trash has to be out of the house too and refrigerator cleaned out. I like to only have the vacation stuff to deal with when I come home.

Twice I left the house a mess, and twice relatives went into my home.

One time we went away for the weekend and my dad and his wife came over to drop off something. Instead of just leaving they got into the garage some way and then into the house. She went on for years about me needing help with cleaning. During that time I was about eight months pregnant, had a handful of small children, and was in the process of packing to move. It was reasonable for it be a mess. All the other times she came over it was spotless, but those times don't count.

The second time was when we left for a hurricane. Normally we don't leave but this was a big one, and I had just given birth about three days before it was due to hit (Hurricane Opal, I believe). We packed up and went to my sisters. My husband's parents came by a couple days after the storm went through and again got into my house (I still am not sure how. I really need better locks). It was a mess. The children were small and they didn't do much cleaning (them and dh) while I was in the hospital, and I didn't clean much when I got home (just three days). It wasn't horrific, but it wasn't spotless. Since then - even to this day (been 16 years) - she gives me cleaning supplies, cleaning equipment/machines, etc. The need for cleaning items was never mentioned before that visit.

So, yeah, I clean before we leave. One never knows when a nosy, judgmental relative will weasel their way into your home.