Menu

Prayers/tell me what to expect

They've got baby in line for the xray machine in NICU. I'm trying to just think about the machine & not hear only "NICU."

He hasn't had a wet diaper yet (36 hrs), & his belly is tender. The dr just came in to talk to me & said he may have blockage in his intestines & be dehydrated. The range she gave me is something like cleaning out the intestines to surgery. None of it life-threatening, all fixable. Right now I'm calm because I tend to go into Spock-mode when there's a problem. Rationally, if they can fix it, why would I freak out? Once he's fine, I'll probably freak out plenty, though.

But you guys know so much & pray so effectively, I thought I should let you know/check w/you. I can't even tell if I'm remitting info or asking a question, but there you go.

Oh, background (it's in the birth story, but that's long)--they've suctioned his belly 2 times for amniotic fluid. He wasn't eating, but after the 2nd time, he ate really well--went from not latching on for 6 hrs or so to eating every hour on the hour (all night, of course!). He was spitting up a lot. They were concerned at first because it was clear/white & foamy--indicates amniotic fluid, they said, but since then it's been green, & they really don't like that.

They're transferring him to the children's hospital. I can't tell from what she said if that means surgery for sure, but they need further testing that that hospital is better able to do. The best alternative has moved from an enema-type thing to something that's not surgery but is still...invasive enough to sound like it to *me.*

I'm not exactly worried yet. He's a newborn. I haven't had to SEE the tubes, but mentally, they're just tubes. He had an umbilical cord a few hrs ago. But I think I might feel better if I just go ahead & cry. Totally utilitarian stress-release, not worry. Heh.

:grouphug: My little guy got sent to the NICU after about 48 hours of being with me, and it was so hard to go from having him right with me to having him be in there. I went into Spock mode, too. I think it's a survival mechanism.

I don't have any medical advice, but I'll pray hard for you. :grouphug::grouphug:

They're transferring him to the children's hospital. I can't tell from what she said if that means surgery for sure, but they need further testing that that hospital is better able to do. The best alternative has moved from an enema-type thing to something that's not surgery but is still...invasive enough to sound like it to *me.*

:grouphug: My 12 yo was born with Hirschsprung's disease and couldn't pass stool. He had surgery at 4 days old and he was home the next day! He hasn't had any issues since.

I know it's scary but children's Hospitals are the best and he is in good hands! I am praying for your little man and for peace you.

Definitely okay to cry. I certianly did when they took dd11 when she was less than a day old to CHOP (a couple of blocks away from where I was) b/c she had a heart defect. Send dh with the baby. Is there anyone who can sit with you?:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: Besides all of us doing that here virtually?

:grouphug: My 12 yo was born with Hirschsprung's disease and couldn't pass stool. He had surgery at 4 days old and he was home the next day! He hasn't had any issues since.

I know it's scary but children's Hospitals are the best and he is in good hands! I am praying for your little man and for peace you.

I really know that. I'm really fine. I'll worry if they tell me to. The crying...um...I think it must be like shedding a winter coat. Maybe I'm shedding postpartum hormones so I can be even more rational.

I really don't want to deal w/ the mascara or people seeing me cry & telling me not to worry. Because I'm not.

But when I see him hooked up to tubes/needles, I may shed spock-mode, too. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks for listening, guys.

I'm not exactly worried yet. He's a newborn. I haven't had to SEE the tubes, but mentally, they're just tubes. He had an umbilical cord a few hrs ago. But I think I might feel better if I just go ahead & cry. Totally utilitarian stress-release, not worry. Heh.

Go ahead and cry.

Is there any medical reason you can't go along with him?

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: Prayers Definitely!

Now for some perspective... I'm a NICU nurse (PRN these days) and hopefully it will be comforting if you consider the NICU in a slightly different light. IMHO, in many cases, being a patient in the NICU is a lot like receiving some private tutoring as a student. You have the almost exclusive attention of someone who is specifically trained to deal with whatever bought you a ticket into the NICU in the first place. :001_smile: That is a good thing!

The nurse to patient ratio in the NICU ranges from 1:1 for very fragile kiddos, to 1:2 for most post op patients or just "busy" (medically speaking) kiddos, to 1: 3 or 4 for just about everyone else. Even a 1:4 ratio allows for very close nurse/patient monitoring and that translates into quickly identifying an issue sooner rather than later. That is also a good thing!

From what you know so far, this sounds like a fairly straight forward issue. Generally NICU x-rays are available for viewing almost immediately and while they are sent to radiology, they are also available to be read by the in house neonatologists right in the unit. You should have some more info very soon.

:grouphug:

Jen

I will keep you and precious baby boy in my prayers! Levi will be in good hands and be "all fixed" before you know it. He just wanted to make an extra dramatic entrance being the baby of the family and all ;)

PM if there is any way I can help your family out. We could always pick up the kids or anything you need.

I can't believe I didn't see this before! I posted in the other thread, but DD6 did this for two days after she was born as well! I've never heard of another baby doing the same thing :grouphug: It was frightening, but ultimately everything was fine. I'll be watching for more news and thinking of you :grouphug: