Menu

Why do people still wear perfume?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's spray and walk through people, it's a simple rule.

You don't need to bathe in it and Axe in any form should be banned. :)

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I love certain scents cause they help my mood :001_smile:

but I can't stand people drenched in anything....It gives me headaches

I dab a tiny bit of essential oil on my neck and often have people chase me down in stores to tell me I smell wonderful. That's not a bad feeling and that's why I wear it. I enjoy walking by others that smell nice. It's usually a musky/spicy perfume or oil.

People who bathe in the stuff are offensive, but I love yummy smells.

What brand/scent of EO do you use? I had Aura Cacia (sp?) orange and lemon that I would tab on my wrists but it didn't last more than an hour. I love a very light scent.

I agree, if you can smell a person after they left or taste them, they have WAY too much on and should be banned from the perfume counter. :) It burns my nose.

Perfume has been around since the earliest of human civilizations. It is not something just from the 80s/90s.

Yes, I do know that it's not something that was created in the 80's/90's.:glare: That was just the era that it became extremely popular and everyone was wearing it like crazy. It seems like more and more people now are getting away from wearing it.

I swear I think some people just read threads to see if they can make any corrections on what people have typed.:)

I wear it because it's my body, but I keep it very light. Pretty much only people who hug me can smell it.

Sensitivities...I've got them. People should not bathe in their preferred scent... jmo. I know ladies who have a complete line of the same scent. (Bath oil, powder, perfume are in their daily routine, and they reapply throughout the day.) :tongue_smilie: Riding in a car with them is a nightmare.

:lol::iagree: I have one type of perfume that I LOVE. It's too pricey for me to buy, though. I use a very tiny amount because I just love the smell of it. But I never wear too much because perfume can give me a headache. The kind I like does not, though.

What kind...do tell? :001_smile:

I love to wear perfume too....I'm the kind of person who will ask what perfume you are wearing....maybe because I like it...maybe because I want to make sure I never buy it :lol: :lol:

I think that's because each family has their own smell. And there are certain families that I can't stand the smell of-it's not the perfume, it's the combo of their house, their animals, I'm betting their diet.

These are items of clothing (games kit, for example) that end up in the wrong bag and are taken home. The other parent washes them, puts them in a plastic bag, and gives them to me. It's just the smell of the washing powder: scented rather than (like ours) unscented.

Laura

I wear it because it's my body, but I keep it very light. Pretty much only people who hug me can smell it.

Sensitivities...I've got them. People should not bathe in their preferred scent... jmo. I know ladies who have a complete line of the same scent. (Bath oil, powder, perfume are in their daily routine, and they reapply throughout the day.) :tongue_smilie: Riding in a car with them is a nightmare.

:iagree:

Perfume makes me feel finished. I may either use an woo-woo organically grown scent or something from Bloomingdale's but a subtle scent is my finishing touch after a shower/bath.

Yes, I do know that it's not something that was created in the 80's/90's.:glare: That was just the era that it became extremely popular and everyone was wearing it like crazy. It seems like more and more people now are getting away from wearing it.

:confused: Maybe this is a regional thing? I've never known a time (in my short 46 years) when perfume/cologne was not a common thing to wear. My dad always wore Grey Flannel or Old Bay Rum, and my mom loved L'Air du Temps.

Here's a fun site that is vintage perfume ads from the 1900s-1990's.

http://www.vintageadbrowser.com/perfume-ads-1910s

:confused: Maybe this is a regional thing? I've never known a time (in my short 46 years) when perfume/cologne was not a common thing to wear. My dad always wore Grey Flannel or Old Bay Rum, and my mom loved L'Air du Temps.

Here's a fun site that is vintage perfume ads from the 1900s-1990's.

http://www.vintageadbrowser.com/perfume-ads-1910s

There are particular scents that always remind me of my grandparents and my parents. I always thought having a 'signature scent' was much more common among previous generations.

:lol::lol: Oh, I so agree with you but try telling that to my (or almost any) teenage boy!

At Boy Scout camp the boys were spraying themselves and even the air on the cabin with Axe because they smelled like, well, sweaty boys who were camping.

I was like, "DUDES! Just go take a shower already!"

80s/90s?? :confused:

People have always liked making themselves smell pretty, long before the 80s and 90s. Goodness, what about those of us who were alive and well in the 50s and 60s?? And some of our favorite fragrances then were already well established from the 40s.

I swear I think some people just read threads to see if they can make any corrections on what people have typed.:)

I had never thought of perfume being an 80s/90s thing either, so that wording struck me as odd, too, and I almost mentioned it myself. I don't think she was trying to "correct" you.

I wear perfume every day. I wear Amazing Grace by Philosophy and it is a very soft, subtle scent. I like to smell nice. It's not strong at all. I layer it as I use the body wash, lotion and then a small spritz of the perfume. I've had several people make comments as I walked by about how nice I smell. I was worried that maybe it was too much, so I asked a lady who told me I smelled good if it was too strong and she said she didn't notice the smell until I walked past her and even then it was very light. Whew!

My mom wears the most obnoxious perfume and has for years. She wears Imari from Avon and it is just awful. She does bathe herself in it. Ick. I can smell her before she enters a room.

I hate patchouli and anything with vanilla in it. I've never understood wearing vanilla. Why would anyone want to smell like a cookie with too much vanilla in it?

Has anyone seen the bacon perfume? Gag.

See, I'm not a fan of any sort of floral notes in fragrance. I would much rather smell like cookies :001_smile:. I also have to be careful wearing patchouli around my dh. He'll gobble me up. He thought he hated patchouli until I wore it. Different body chemistry, I guess.

What brand/scent of EO do you use? I had Aura Cacia (sp?) orange and lemon that I would tab on my wrists but it didn't last more than an hour. I love a very light scent.

I agree, if you can smell a person after they left or taste them, they have WAY too much on and should be banned from the perfume counter. :) It burns my nose.

I've had good luck with Nature's Alchemy. I do seem to have a body chemistry that holds on to scent well, so your mileage may vary.

It's spray and walk through people, it's a simple rule.

You don't need to bathe in it and Axe in any form should be banned. :)

I agree. If I hug you and then smell like your perfume you are wearing way, way too much.

I dislike perfume, my dh was raised in a family where you bathe in it so he insists on wearing cologne. I tell him it holds no attraction for me, but he's gonna do what he's gonna do. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by True Blue

I wear a small amount of the original Pleasures every day. I didn't really wear a perfume before this. I remember the day I was walking through the department store and happened to smell it. I thought it smelled so "me". I don't know what that means. :) I wear it lightly everyday and enjoy it. It takes 2 years for me to go through a small bottle so I'm sure I'm not abusing it. ;)

I am very sensitive to strong smells, especially strong floral smells. They make me quite sick. That said, people should be allowed to wear perfume (IN MODERATION). It is the ones that pour it on that should be flogged. :lol:

Recently, while on vacation, my kids and I stopped in to eat at Wendy's. I was happily enjoying my meal when a woman walked by me and sat at the next table. It about knocked me out. Her perfume was so strong I instantly had a headache and my food started to taste like her perfume smelled. I had no choice but to move to a new seat.

I hate patchouli and anything with vanilla in it. I've never understood wearing vanilla. Why would anyone want to smell like a cookie with too much vanilla in it?

Vanilla is one of my favourites. Why would I want to wear it? Why would anyone want to "smell like a cookie"? Well, I don't think it smells like a cookie. I think it smells warm and inviting. Years ago, my signature scent was lemon-vanilla, and my boyfriend and I both adored it. It smells snuggly and approachable. I don't think it's any weirder than wanting to smell like an overblown bouquet of the strongest flowers you can find. Or a toxic dump, which is what I think some strong synthetic perfumes smell of. I like the foodie smells, I like to smell of them, and they don't tend to give me a headache like some of the others.

I missed this! I love vanilla - even if I smell like a cookie! :lol:

But bacon.... I can't go there.

LOL! I wouldn't want to smell like bacon either, but if my dh liked it I would wear it to bed - as long as it wore off soon after. My dh loves bacon.

Well, I was not the only one who found your statement odd. Just the first to comment on it.

At best your opening post sounded like any one who wears scent is old fashioned. At worst your opening post sounded like anyone with an ounce of sense or anyone who cared about their health should no longer wear scent.

As for people getting away from wearing scent, that may be something regional as another poster said. Or possibly just something common within your circle of acquaintances. Otherwise, as so many people have posted, scent is still enjoyed by many people.

Personally I think what happened during the time frame you mentioned was that there were a couple/3 brands that became extremely popular. Yes, it did seem as if every third person was wearing Drakkar. Then Polo was marketed to both men and women. For quite some time one could not go out in public without smelling one of the Big Two or Three.

Now times have changed and people have moved on to other scents. They are just not as noticeable any more. Of course, as long as one does not come across someone who uses scent in place of regular bathing.

Yes, I do know that it's not something that was created in the 80's/90's.:glare: That was just the era that it became extremely popular and everyone was wearing it like crazy.

I don't know how you could come to that conclusion.:001_huh:

It seems like more and more people now are getting away from wearing it.

Since, oh, the mid 90s some of us who have been involved in church choirs or other community groups were encouraged--in some cases absolutely forbidden--not to wear any fragrances because some people are extremely allergic to them. Why that became more recognized then than before...I dunno.

However, it has not been obvious to me that fewer fragrances are being manufactured, and that would not be the case if fewer people were buying those products.

Well, you made a generalization that clearly most of us think is not accurate.

I have started using a tea tree/grapefruit sugar scrub in the shower. It sounds pretty awful, but oh does the smell ever make me feel happy!

If any one is interested in blending her own perfumes, I like to add a few drops of essential oil to jojoba oil. It is expensive, but it is a non staining dry feeling oil.

Alternatively, you can make a spray by adding essential oils to vodka. Here is a great guide for blending scents.

http://www.rainbowmeadow.com/infocenter/calc_eoblend/blendselect.php

I wear perfume. Not very often though. Usually always if we go out somewhere in the evening such as dinner or some type of date night. Sometimes to the office if I'm dressed nice as opposed to casual jeans and t-shirt attire. I do occasionally wear it even with jeans on a day I might be going somewhere other than running general errands.

For me it completes the outfit. I like the way it smells. It makes me feel a little more dressed up. On a night out it makes me feel more romantic and sexy.

I do try not to wear perfume if I know I will be in an enclosed or confined area. I also try to go easy with it unless I know I will be outside for the evening and can get away with wearing a little more.

I don't care for anything heavy and have occasionally passed people that smelled like they bathed in it. That is too much for me.

OTOH, I get a lot of compliments on my perfume which in turn makes me feel good and want to wear it.

I used to enjoy wearing a very light scent. Then, I met dh. ANY perfumes give him a headache if he smells them. I started liking to just catch a faint whisp every now and then on someone else if dh wasn't around.

Now, I have dd19. She is strongly allergic to perfumes. They can stop her breathing. (Almost, but not quite as fast as someone who has been smoking.) Going anywhere with her is quite a challenge. She has gotten so that she wears a surgical mask when in public, but it really does very little good. I now despise ALL perfumes. I don't care how light a fragrance you may think you have on, there is a very good chance you are keeping someone from being able to breath. (I have been shocked at the number of people who have this allergy/sensativity. Dd is at the extreme end of it, but the number of people who suffer from this problem is astonishing!) So, for all of you who enjoy your scents and perfumes, next time you are out try to think about that poor kid who just walked by who starts searching through their purse for their inhaler or ends up going to the ER thanks to you. (Please double that for if you are a smoker. You don't even have to be lit up. The smoke on your clothing walking past at a 10 ft distance is enough to cause a reaction.)

I do think this has become more of a problem than it was in past years. I am guessing that more people with these allergies/sensativities are living through their childhoods to pass the trait on. My dd will most likely not be having any children because she doesn't want to pass her problems down to another generation. Also, we have so many more fragrances that are assaulting us. First, there are just more people. Also, everything has a scent these days. Unscented products often have a slight scent, and people usually don't chose the less scented product because they like the smell of the other option.

First off, I'm not starting this thread because I'm a little defensive about my fake/flameless candles on my mantle.:lol:

BUT, so many here are opposed to everything being "fake", I'm just wondering why people wear scents to make themselves smell like whatever....:confused:

It seems very 80's/90's IMO. I thought most people were trying to be more organic/natural and move away from toxic chemicals.:confused:

There is nothing worse than being at an activity or event, and being forced to smell whatever it is others seem to want to smell like. Some people just have no idea how offensive that is. My mom is EXTREMELY sensitive to perfumes and colognes, and even had to have them stop sending her bills/catalogs that contain sample scents. I've watched her REALLY become very ill from just being around someone wearing certain perfumes.

I know there has to be others that feel the same way, right?:001_huh:

:iagree: Totally! I am one of those people that becomes very ill from them. In the last month I have had to come home from church 3 times because the scents that someone had on was making me sick. Last Sunday I ended up with a migraine that lasted over 2 days from it and I left pretty much as soon as the person came in.

I used to try to convince people that they needed to quick using the stuff because it made me sick. The longer I have lived with this I have realized that they need to quit because it is more than likely largely affecting them and their family. I talk to people all the time that admit that this or that makes them sick and yet they themselves use fragrance fabric softener, etc.

Personally I believe the fragrances are addicting to many people. There are over 5000 chemicals used in these items and almost non have been tested for human safety.

Ok, I am off of my rant. I do believe that eventually fragrances will be likened to cigarettes.

I think perfume is an outward, personal expression of your emotional state.

People wear certain scents when they feel happy, or sexy. People who wear it tend to think of it as an expression of themselves. It's not just about being fake and covering up stench. :001_smile:

:iagree: I love to smell good. I get headaches myself from too much of a good thing, so I keep it light. I've never heard anyone complain.

I wear perfume every day. I wear Amazing Grace by Philosophy and it is a very soft, subtle scent. I like to smell nice. It's not strong at all. I layer it as I use the body wash, lotion and then a small spritz of the perfume. I've had several people make comments as I walked by about how nice I smell. I was worried that maybe it was too much, so I asked a lady who told me I smelled good if it was too strong and she said she didn't notice the smell until I walked past her and even then it was very light. Whew!

>>>snip<<<

Has anyone seen the bacon perfume? Gag.

No offense intended to those who like it, but I think patchouli smells like dirt. And vanilla? Gag. I wish that trend would die! LOL However, I generally dislike "food" smells (candles, body sprays, etc.) and anything that's supposed to smell like brown sugar or butter can literally make me gag.

And, I also wear Amazing Grace daily. Lotion, body spray, roll on oil for touch ups later in the day. I also sometimes layer it with Eternal Grace to mix things up a bit. I love how the "Graces" can be mixed. I've worn it for a few years now and get compliments on it regularly.

I never wear perfume somewhere new because I don't know if I'll run into someone with an allergy/smell sensitivity. I wear a certain scent on dates because dh really likes it, and I wear another scent that I love on special occasions because it makes me feel more "dressed up" and special. But I don't have anything I wear at home; although I have a fantasy of having a certain scent for each season that would be part of my children's memories of me when they're all grown up.

I LOVE those combos! Do you sell the soaps? (Yes, I make my own, too, but that's just so I can keep my pretty smelling soap addiction under control)

ETA, thanks for the link!!

And I love patchouli, not crazy amounts, but when it warmly radiates off a person, yum.

I wish that we could scratch and sniff. I do not know what Patchouli is, and everyone here seems to know??

No offense intended to those who like it, but I think patchouli smells like dirt. And vanilla? Gag. I wish that trend would die! LOL However, I generally dislike "food" smells (candles, body sprays, etc.) and anything that's supposed to smell like brown sugar or butter can literally make me gag.

:lol::lol:

I feel that way about the fake flowers smells, especially that cheap fake rose smell. Oy, that's AWFUL.

I'd rather smell dirt or sugar cookies than an artificial flower. Yuck. :lol:

I'm one that has to move if someone sits near me wearing perfume, scented lotion, or too much other scented stuff (shampoo, conditioner, soap, makeup, laundry soap, fabric softener). Perfume and scented lotion are the worst. They tend to give me a headache and make me feel sick, in a dragged down, icky, fatigued kind of way.

I can handle essential oils in smaller amounts.

The only reason I wanted to wear perfume was sentimental...I wanted to find that 'forever' scent that would give my kids and those who knew me that 'ah, I remember when this happened and mom did this xyz'....

It's nuts, I know...but whenever I smell Opium (the only scent my mom has ever worn) it brings back a flood of fond memories of my mom. One time, when I was struggling with facts on a test, I heard to put a scent on a cotton ball and continue to sniff it as you studied, take the cotton ball with scent on it to class during the test and you'd be amazed at how your brain can recall what you studied! It worked!! To this day, if I smell polo cologne, specific facts from that exam come back to me!!!

I tried the vanilla extract awhile, but it only made me want homemade chocolate chip cookies...I then found 'Cashmere Mist' and LOVED it!! It was so light and a great fragrance...but I think even I get headaches when I try to put some on...so my dream of having that scent is fading away...

I guess my signature scent will be the smell of horse manure and puppy breath...that seems to be what follows me these days...sigh.

I guess my signature scent will be the smell of horse manure and puppy breath...that seems to be what follows me these days...sigh.

LOL. I always remember my mom's smell, no perfume, and my dh and kids say I smell sweet and they know my smell and it comforts them. So people can remember your personal smell as well. :001_smile:

When I'm in the garden, I always say how I wish I could have a perfume that smelled like tomato leaves and hay.

I think Demeter makes a fragrance that smells of tomato leaves (they may well have hay, too). Sounds weird, but their "Dirt" scent is actually really nice.

I seldom wear fragrance, so I can only imagine what scent memories my kid will have of me. Probably Tiger Balm and cilantro. Nice...

Personally I believe the fragrances are addicting to many people. There are over 5000 chemicals used in these items and almost non have been tested for human safety.

Ok, I am off of my rant. I do believe that eventually fragrances will be likened to cigarettes.

:iagree:

I once read a a book about allergies that talked about how people can become addicted to their perfumes - they get a high from some of the chemicals in it. The author said if you find yourself dousing yourself in your favourite perfume or reapplying it many times during the day then you are probably addicted to it. People actually do get withdrawel symptoms if they don't wear their perfume - shakes, headaches, nausea. The book also said a lot of those who are addicted are also allergic to their perfume - in the same vein that nutritionists often say that people who have a certain allergy to a food will often be addicted to eating that food.

I have asthma and have had many attacks from people wearing strong perfume -still doesn't bother me that much - I don't expect people to stop wearing perfume just because I am allergic - I just live with it. Perfume isn't the ONLY thing that gives me attacks so why make an issue over just the one thing KWIM

I like wearing food scented perfumes -vanilla, peppermint, peach. Who would NOT want to smell like a cookie is my question :tongue_smilie: Anything floral makes me sick to my stomach. My DH always says I smell good enough to eat :lol:

I've had the same bottle of perfume for over 10 years -I don't think I'm using too much :tongue_smilie:

Perfume has pretty ancient roots. I sneeze in the company of perfume.

The more interesting question to me (because really, the answer to "why" is "because it smells good to me") is, "Why are so many of us allergic to perfume?" I really can't stand being around someone with cologne or perfume on, and I think I am in good company.

So why, when we read ancient accounts of perfumery, do we never read about fits of sneezing? Are allergies more common now, and why? Or is it that we are more confined to the indoors now days? Or around more people per day so our noses are under more assault than they can take?

When I was in CBS (Community Bible Study) there was a strictly enforce, "No scented perfumes or shampoos" rule.

Worked for me!

I wear perfume because smelling good makes me happy. :001_smile: Truly, it lifts my spirits. I do wear a minimal amount and the scents I wear are not "heavy". I hate when I confront people who bathe in perfume. :glare:

:iagree:i feel feminine and "finished" when I smell my favorite perfume on my wrist or clothes. I don't bathe in it...one small application and that's it. I wear it for me.