Menu

If you color your hair

If you color your hair  

1. 1. If you color your hair

• Home
    • Salon
    • Other

Always at a salon. Always. There's no way I could do it at home (I do foil highlights) without looking like blond zebra, I'm sure.

The good news is that my hair grows very slowly, and I'm naturally blond (just darker than what I highlight) so I can go longer than I probably should between trips to the salon, saving me a bit of money.

Ha! there's always an "other" :D

I do both, kind of. I color my hair myself, but then go in every 8-9 weeks or so and have the salon do highlights on my hair, so it mostly is not just one color. There is a time right before I go when I sometimes lose the highlights. So, I am coloring my hair in between, so no roots. It saves me money.

I do it at home with L'Oreal Excellence creme. It's incredibly easy, little mess, and I get positive comments on the color all the time from people thinking it's my natural color. My hair is mostly gray with some brown, and I am too young for that. :D I color the roots every few weeks, because I don't like grey roots. I could never afford to have it done that often at the salon. I pay about $6 each time, because I pick a few up when they are on sale.

Other because I have it done really really well every 6 months at a salon and then I touch up the roots myself in between times. Though I am cheating and going back sooner this time (3 months) because we have lots of holiday stuff coming up and I need a good cut along with color.

DD is 11 so I get it done. If she was 20, then I wouldn't care, but I don't want to look like her grandma. :tongue_smilie:

I've done both. The one I did myself never lasted even though it's supposed to be good for covering grey. The salon says to leave it in longer than suggested.

But still the color itself lasted a week, then it got really brassy. It's also really messy and I found myself scrubbing out the shower every time. Doing it at the kitchen sink is worse as rinsing splatters it.

It's worth getting it done, the color is true, and it lasts and my bathroom is clean.

I do both. Obviously its easier to have it done in the salon, but now that my grey roots come thru quickly, I also color at home. I like Natural Instincts since there is no ammonia so the at home coloring actually feels much better than in the salon. Also, to the person that posted that you can always tell if someone colors from a box, I have to disagree. My family (or friends) can never tell the difference. If it wasn't such a hassle, I would color all the time at home.

I do it at home but I use products from Sally's. I think the quality is a bit better and it costs about the same. I got my original formula from a professional beautician. She was the one who told me to save my money and just go to Sally's. I only do single process so it's pretty easy and really no different from what you buy in a box. No way would I do double process at home.

I henna my hair because the chemicals from the salon were starting to freak me out and Aveda haircolor doesn't work on my hair. Once a month, I spend the day with my hair in a shower cap and smell like coffee and shea butter. :lol:

I've never heard of this! How do you keep your scalp from turning brown?

other.

I did it myself until my grey hair became resistant. Now I go to the salon. Begrudgingly.

Did you try Ardell Grey Magic? I am not even 50% grey but what I do have is very resistent. I add a packet of this to my dye every time and have never had a grey show through. There is also the possibility of trying a stronger peroxide developer?

Both. I am nearly completely gray, and I am starting to have some trouble finding at-home stuff that works well (though I am still having luck with Natural Instincts, which I have used for years). If I want to touch up roots (my hair is black, so when I grow a bit of root I look like a skunk :glare:) or do a simple all-over color, I usually do it at home; if I want something fancy (I have a thing for electric blue or fuschia highlights) and I have the means I'll splurge on a salon visit.

Ha! there's always an "other" :D

I do both, kind of. I color my hair myself, but then go in every 8-9 weeks or so and have the salon do highlights on my hair, so it mostly is not just one color. There is a time right before I go when I sometimes lose the highlights. So, I am coloring my hair in between, so no roots. It saves me money.

I'm another other.:D I did it at home for years with satisfactory (but not great) results. Then after a vacation spent largely in a chlorinated pool, my next at home dye job (with the same stuff I've used for years) turned out horrible!!! :eek: Weird hair that didn't go with my skintone. :hat:

Since then, I've gone to the salon. I love the results from the salon!!! It's expensive, so I've thought about mixing up at home color with highlights at the salon to save money, BUT I'm terribly afraid of looking weird again.

I used to do it myself many years ago but I found the stuff from the store just wasn't sticking to my grey. For the last couple of years I have been having my stylist do it. She dyes my hair and adds highlights. It looks much better than when I did it myself.

Fortunately she charges me a very reasonable rate or I wouldn't be able to indulge myself. I try not to think about the chemicals.

I henna my hair at home. I like Henna because it's all natural and chemical free and I like doing at home because it's inexpensive. I use a natural red shade, but you can go black, brown, burgandy, strawberry blonde and everthing in between as well.

Me, too. The only drawback is that it can be messy, but that's ok for the benefits I get. I can go subtle or more intense. I like to use mahogany on my fairly dark brown hair to give it a deep red shine. If you have only a few grays (like under 20%) it tints them so they glimmer like tiny shiny highlights. And your hair comes out SO soft and shiny.

I like not putting the strong chemicals on my scalp, and also not washing them down the drain.

I henna my hair because the chemicals from the salon were starting to freak me out and Aveda haircolor doesn't work on my hair. Once a month, I spend the day with my hair in a shower cap and smell like coffee and shea butter. :lol:

Mmmm... sounds nice. :) Which henna do you use? Mine is just a powder that I mix with water, and it smells only henna-ish. :D