Menu

Would you let your middle school age child

Huh - I guess it would depend on a LOT of factors.

Which country? There are a few I would absolutely not let them go to right now

How well do you know the adults going?

How many times has DC been away from home and for how long?

What are the ages of the other kids?

How well do you know the other families?

It would depend on a few things...

1) maturity of child. I have one high schooler that I wouldn't let go, but his younger sister would be fine.

2) where they are going (some countries would be an automatic no)

3) the adults going

4) emergency plan in place

5) cost.....would the money be better spent put towards another mission project? For instance, there was one international mission trip that was offered to the youth at our church that met all my other criteria except I didn't think the accomodations they were choosing were the best use of money (and it was a VERY expensive trip)

6) purpose of trip...is is more designed for "play" or for true mission work. This isn't usually a problem for our youth group, but I can see it happening in some others. I don't mind some sightseeing, and I understand that sometimes a mission trip ends up growing the attender more than the person being helped (esp in youth) but spiritual growth needs to be happening.

It would depend on the age. If you mean 8th grade, then maybe. For a few of my children, I would have considered it at that age, especially since we have traveled out of the country several times already and they are somewhat experienced. But, it would depend on a LOT of things: personality/maturity of the child, their emotional health, adults that are going, supervision involved, activities planned, the country, and so much more. If it were 7th grade and under, probably not.

go on a mission trip out of the country? I would like to hear some opinions before I share more details. Thanks!

Our son went to Mexico right before he was in High School. However, he went with a youth group whose pastor I knew well, ds was fairly mature and able to defend himself physically (for some odd reason that comforted me a little) and the group was well organized. Parents were able to check on them via online tracking.

It really depends on a lot of factors. One of them is your gut feeling.

I did when dd(now20) was in middle school. Her youth group/choir did a mission trip to Eluethra (I know I did not spell that right:glare:). Anyway they went to the Bahamas to help repair hurricane damage. DD had just finished 7th grade.

Pros: Independence while still part of a large group and monitored by adults. Adventure of leaving the country without her parents. It was a beautiful place and she developed a better understanding of how poor poor can be.

Cons: She did not end up with any close relationship with the other kids and did not do choir or mission trip again. (very cliquish kids). I have come to decide (for me, in my opinion) that this group is really more about themselves and travelling than they are about missions - so I think it was a poor example of raising money all year for a "mission" trip.

Younger dd also went on the youth mission trip after her 7th grade year. I believe this was the beginning of the end for my participation in this organizations youth activities. That is an individual result from my particular church, not a general principle, therefore it probably won't answer your question.

ETA: They both did fine. The independence of preparing and travelling without parents was very good for them. They are both sensible and trustworthy kids so I was comfortable with them doing this.

Edited by Denise in Florida
hit post too soon, wasn't finished

depends:

on the child

on the country they're going to

on who is in charge

on what the objective is

My ds did a school charity trip to turkey (seting up internet centers in universities and hospitals) - instead they got a firsthand lesson on the corruption in turkey. The US State Dept even got involved trying to extract the student donated container of computers and peripherals (worth ten's of thousands of dollars in the US, and even more on the black market). it was a very eye opening experience for him. they did stop in Munich for a couple days on the way home, and boy did they need to have some fun after istanbul. (it was eye opening for the adults too - they never went back to turkey.)

this trip had been so important to him, the biggest pro was the trust it developed between me and my son. He'd been really struggling, but afterwards he KNEW mom was on his side and had the trust to come to me later when he really needed me.

my daughter did an east coast history trip in 7th grade, and had a great time.

Edited by gardenmom5

It would depend on the age. If you mean 8th grade, then maybe. For a few of my children, I would have considered it at that age, especially since we have traveled out of the country several times already and they are somewhat experienced. But, it would depend on a LOT of things: personality/maturity of the child, their emotional health, adults that are going, supervision involved, activities planned, the country, and so much more. If it were 7th grade and under, probably not.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

A mature 8th grader I might consider, 6th or 7th probably not.

I realize my kids are quite a bit younger than this currently, but I would say yes if I thought the child was mature enough and I was comfortable with the adults in charge. My sister went on a trip at age 13 that was a positive, life-changing, experience for her.

I would ask: Does *this* child feel called to serve and minister to the people of *THIS* country and why? If he/she can't articulate that, then I wouldn't even begin to consider it.

With as many service opportunities available in our own country, our own neighborhoods--organized or under the umbrella of an organization or NOT--I prefer to start there and ask my children to keep their hearts open to God's leading about where they'd like to serve. If that turns out to be a foreign country some day, so be it. We'll begin praying about it THEN.

I wonder about families who send their teens off on a "mission trip" to a Caribbean island for some work and some major beach time.

In our family, someone will go when they are called. I rarely hear about the calling of one person to a people group that the Lord has laid on their hearts *before* an opportunity presents itself that someone else has planned out already. I know that some people feel that Jesus said, "Go" and so they go when an opportunity arises, but we kind of go about it differently. Jesus also started his ministry and travels as an adult.

We are currently praying about this same issue! One of our dds, who turns 14 soon, has been invited to participate in a mission trip this coming June. She'll have just completed 8th grade. Neither dh or I would be able to attend, but we are still considering it.

Primarily because we feel our dd does truly feel called to go. A serious of events has led up to this invitation that are more than coincidence. Secondly, she is our most mature child. The location, though primitive, has a record of being physically safe (minor stomach issues, illness aside). The adults who have offered to chaperone her are very trustworthy and responsible and have led this trip for several years. DD is very comfortable with them. Also our dd has felt called for several years to pursue children's ministry and this trip relates closely to that.

My fear for her is not physical. I worry instead that she is so compassionate that this trip will break her heart, if that makes sense.

We're continuing to pray and have begun saving for the trip. We're allowing dd to begin to earn money towards it on the condition that if she is not able to travel, the money will still be donated to the mission team. The trip is to orphan care points in Swaziland, Africa and would last 9-10 days.

I'll be interested to know more about your situation, if you are comfortable sharing.

My oldest two went out of the country on missions trips in middle school. They had already been out of the country with dh, so that wasn't something entirely new. They also went to a country that we felt was safe for them. The adult they went with was our children's pastor who they had spent lots of time with already.

Nakia, talk to Max - he went on a missions trip without us at that age. :001_smile:

My 14yo (rising 9th grader) just got back from India. A ton of factors went into the decision to send her.

1) Her dad went.

2) Everyone else going was an adult.

3) They travelled to a village that our church has deep ties with. Another pastor in our group (dh is a pastor) spends 6-8 weeks there every year. They were working with locals that we already have a huge history with, in an area that we are completely familiar with.

4) The work was worthy of the trip.

5) We prayed. We asked the elders of our church to pray. We submitted ourselves to being overruled if the elders thought it was unwise.

Probably not. I don't think I'd be ok with that, unless I knew the chaperones VERY VERY well. Like, for years and years and years well. And even then maybe not.

Highschool, yes. Middle school, no. Plenty of mission work to be done here. Probably in your own city.

Maybe but I have a different perspective. In this area, going to another country is similar to traveling to another state in the U.S.

DS could be in several different countries by bus, train, car, or short airplane ride. So it would not be that big of a deal for him to go to, say Thailand or Cambodia, for a missions trip.

But it would also be kind of redundant since we live in "missions situation" every day.

So my answer is still maybe but the middle school child would have to be mature, grounded in her faith, and need to feel a call to it because a lot of short term missions trips are mostly vacation time with LOTS of teenage drama mixed in.

Friends of ours use to lead STM every year in other countries but they stopped because the drama overshadowed the mission.

Edited by Heather in NC

go on a mission trip out of the country? I would like to hear some opinions before I share more details. Thanks!

I'm not a fan of missions, especially super short ones, so on that end of things - no.

I am a huge fan of travel, so on that end of things - absolutely.

If the question was "would you let your middle school age child go on a trip out of the country?" I would say that my inclination would be more towards yes, than towards no. The details would push me one way or the other, but unless the child was going with total strangers I'm likely to be all for it.

I work for an airline, my kids are well-traveled, and going abroad is an experience we value as a family. My kids have already traveled without me, plus the nature of my job requires me to spend nights away from home as it is, so those factors are not an issue for our family. I might feel differently if my kids had never yet spent a few nights away from me, but my inclination would still be towards making it happen.

Thanks for all the replies. Right now, I know nothing about the trip other than it's going to be sometimes in May 2012 when my oldest will be close to 12. We are supposed to be getting more details soon.

Right now I am entirely ticked that they told the kids about it last night without talking to the parents about it first. My dd has a vision of a fun trip to hang out with her friends. :glare:

Thanks for all the replies. Right now, I know nothing about the trip other than it's going to be sometimes in May 2012 when my oldest will be close to 12. We are supposed to be getting more details soon.

Right now I am entirely ticked that they told the kids about it last night without talking to the parents about it first. My dd has a vision of a fun trip to hang out with her friends. :glare:

It seems pretty normal that youth trips are announced directly to the youth. If it's a trip worth going on, the leadership will squash the fun/hang out stuff pretty quickly.

It seems pretty normal that youth trips are announced directly to the youth. If it's a trip worth going on, the leadership will squash the fun/hang out stuff pretty quickly.

This is not a youth group. This is the middle school AWANA class. It just seemed weird to me. I mean these are really young kids. All 11-12.