Menu

Would you let a responsible 9-year-old buy herself an iPad?

For her birthday, DD9 would like to ask for cash gifts toward an iPad (this would be completely acceptable in our family culture, so etiquette is not an issue). I'm not completely comfortable with the idea of her having such an expensive technology, but she is very responsible and careful with her things. I've already said that IF we allow it, it will be a combined school/private item, and that screen time rules and a confiscation rider will still apply. She understands.

With the number of people giving her gifts, it's entirely possible that she will have enough money to buy herself one in few weeks. WWYD? Would you let her have it?

TIA!

For me it would depend on why she wanted one; what she planned on using it for. For us personally, my 11yo dd would have no reason to purchase one. We have a family computer, she owns an mp3 player and a digital camera, and she can read real books from a library. I also don't want my kids receiving gifts or purchasing things that are in that kind of price range, at least at that age.

Definitely. My girls have had iPod Touches since they were 2 and 5 and have taken excellent care of them. An iPad is basically a giant iPod Touch. I'd purchase her a really nice, solid, protective case as a gift from you though. I wouldn't tote one around myself without one.

Yes, but we're a family that has a computer for every individual. Me, DH, Dd19 and dd13 have laptops. Ds15 prefers his desktop. The kids have had their own computers since about age 10 each. Until then, they were happy to use either mine or the one extra one. Ugh, and then we've gone through replacements too.

Does she have any experience with the ipad? I thought they were cool until I saw one in person. One of my classmates had one and she showed me the features. I just didn't like it. I need a keyboard and I found the ipad too confusing. Then again, I'm the older generation. :tongue_smilie:

Maybe? iPads are pretty pricey. We have picked up two used, 2nd gen, 16 GB iPod Touches to give each of our children for Christmas this year. They were each less than $100 and I won't worry so much about them. Both kids are responsible, but my daughter sometimes uses my iPod Touch to read with the Kindle app and the iPod ended up under the bed when she fell asleep. She was sooooo scared that she had lost it!

No. It's a personal, portable television and internet device. I just don't think that's something that young children need to have entirely under their own control -- and I think allowing it at 9 sets you up for a more difficult time reining in technology and privacy issues in the preteen and teen years.

My kids have access to an iPad at times, but I wouldn't allow it as "personal property" at this age...

She definitely has access to one. My DH received one as a sales reward last year, and while it was supposed to be a "family" device...that has not quite turned out to be the case!

I forgot about the iPod Touches. I may propose that to her instead. Thanks for the idea!

Yes. She can read kindle books on it, play with some really amazing educational apps, listen to streaming and installed audio books....the list goes on and on....it can be very educational as well as fun if you use it correctly and in moderation. I agree with others regarding protection, parental controls, time limits, etc.

Are internet accessible devices like the iPad able to be monitored like computers with special software that keeps children safe®? If you are able to include that, then I would say yes. I don't own one but I know a few people who do and I think it has the potential of being a very valuable learning device. I would be concerned and hesitant, though, if I had no way of controlling which websites popped up during a google search for example.

Yes. My DS is around the same age and has one. He is disabled and uses it so much. We have the parental controls to the max. He has an Itouch but the ipad is so much better for him. He gave his itouch to his 4 yr old sister. The Itouch is great to some extent but for doing more things, we prefer the ipad. As long as you watch and monitor, they are great learning devices. Check to see if there are any refurbished ones available.

Yes!

Our older kids (7 & 5) have iPod touches and treat them very well. We have internet turned off and a lot of controls placed. I LOVE that they have their own.

If she has saved her birthday money, is responsible, and will follow the parental guidelines - go for it and enjoy it! However, I would not hesitate to take it away for a period of time if she misuses it. :)

Oh, and Applecare as a gift is a wonderful idea.

The reading potential and apps are really great, so yes. Same careful attention to appropriate sites & usage still applies.

My 6 yr old nephew loves my iPad. It's super-handy for all manner of stituations.

One of my relatives bought her 5 yr old an iPad. He doesn't know it's 'his'. :) It's like carrying a library of educational books, vids, and games in your purse.

I say yes, as long as you are comfortable with her having a television in her room because it will essentially give her that capability.

I don't think it's too much to pay for a life lesson in responsibility. You might want to look at it that way and be emotionally prepared to let her suffer, and learn from, the consequences if something happens to it.

I say yes, as long as you are comfortable with her having a television in her room because it will essentially give her that capability.

I don't think it's too much to pay for a life lesson in responsibility. You might want to look at it that way and be emotionally prepared to let her suffer, and learn from, the consequences if something happens to it.

I'm thinking we might actually just turn the router off at night--it won't hurt me to get my fanny to bed earlier! And yes, that's the part I'm struggling with, I think. It's SO much money to lose in an accident or theft, even if it's not my money to start with. She's very responsible, though--maybe even more so than I am!

Yes, but I would probably require her to work to earn at least half. In other words--she could accumulate half the necessary funds through gifts, and work for the rest of the funds at a reasonable hourly rate.

:lol: She's cleaning the whole bathroom right now to start earning. We actually don't have much room in the budget to pay her for chores (isn't that just sad? :(), but I'll make her work for what she can. The funny thing is that she could afford to buy it all outright today if she wanted it--she has quite a bit saved up. But she doesn't want to use that money; she'd rather wait for gifts and more savings. I swear she has more self control and ability to delay gratitude than I do :001_huh: She knows it will probably take her until Christmas to save all the money she needs. It makes it really hard to say no to the whole thing! I think that another of my prerequsites might be that she needs to consider how to share some of the blessings her family is able to bestow on her too.

Edited by melissel

Yes. But I'd also give her the option to get an Android Tablet for about half the price, unless she is already locked into Apple products. My husband has an Archos tablet that both of my kids enjoy using as well.

Well, she does love a large number of the apps that DH has on his iPad, so I don't know if an Android tablet would let her enjoy the same things. She doesn't care about the brand, I'm sure. She just wants access to her favorite apps without having to wait and hope DH gets home from work in time to let her play a bit, and then having to argue with her sister over it too.

I'll have to look around a bit and see if they have the same apps for the Android.

I don't know that I personally would, but then again, my 9yo is not particularly responsible. That's a really expensive lesson to learn the hard way! But for a responsible 9yo, I'd still hesitate. Just seems like potential for too many issues -- supervision, usage, etc. (I'm also not really a big techie and generally like to decrease electronic/screen time for my kids, so I may not be one to ask.)

I would not, but I don't think my young kid needs to have his very own computer. An iPad is close enough to a laptop to me that I would not allow it.

But, that's just what I would say for MY kid. If you are already comfortable with her having her own computer/internet access, then the iPad wouldn't be a unreasonable, providing she takes great care of it (those things are PRICEY!!).

Yes. My dd age seven has had use of a laptop computer since the age of four and a kindle over the last several months. She has to use it in the living room or kitchen, not in her bedroom. She isn't allowed to email anyone without permission and she of course isn't allowed on facebook or on any game sites.

I have a favorites folder with her name on it in internet explorer of sites I chose for her with educational games or educational content for her to choose from, and some shortcuts to to programs like the kindle reader, microsoft word, and several other programs she can use. She has been learning keyboarding with dance mat typing. She likes to record herself singing and she likes to make short videos that are really hilarious.

She has always been very careful with both items. I would have no problem with her having an ipad.

The otterbox defender case is not attractive or hip for 9 year old girls (only comes in black) but it is IMO the best case for kids and family use. I would get her this case for it.

We bought an iPad for homeschooling and family use and it has been great. But all the same rules apply to it that apply to the computer- especially not having access to the Internet unsupervised. Our son is 8, so close in age to your daughter. He is very responsible but I still think the thick case has spared us some breakage.

I would not, but I don't think my young kid needs to have his very own computer. An iPad is close enough to a laptop to me that I would not allow it.

But, that's just what I would say for MY kid. If you are already comfortable with her having her own computer/internet access, then the iPad wouldn't be a unreasonable, providing she takes great care of it (those things are PRICEY!!).

I'm agreeing with Audrey...for two reasons...

I think kids spend way too much time on video games/computers as it is...at least with her having to wait for her Dad, that means she's doing something else more stimulating/exercise etc. My children are 16, 13, and 12..while I thought I was doing the right thing by bringing in video games and the such (we've had a Wii, Xbox, and numerous computers)..I've found the majority of the time spent on them has been a waste. We are re-programming our kids by removing the Xbox, limiting computer time to after 8pm at night and only for 30 minutes or so to check email....finally, after 3 weeks of doing this...we are seeing amazing changes!! The kids are more conversational, we have come up with fun plans...we go out and play basketball together...you get my drift.

The second reason, is it is soo ridiculously expensive to replace a broken piece!! I had a fright getting out of the car one day and one thing after another the slippery Ipad slipped and crashed putting spider vein breaks all through the glass and I got a shard in my finger..I went to the Apple store to see what I needed to do to fix it...Apple store guy was rude as all get out...blamed me for not making an APPT with the 'Genius' Bar..like I should have known what a genius bar was (this was my husband's Ipad, I am NOT techy and have never been in an Apple store..but he was out of town so I had to go get it checked out)...I was so disturbed by his arrogance that I called Apple directly - explained what happened and they were very very nice and replaced it for free...but he said it would have cost me $450 to have it repaired to keep it under warranty!!! We still had 297 days on warranty...it was stressful..I just would not want to put that kind of responsibility on a child...so, I vote no...

my 9 month and 20 month granddaughters just received one (one to share, not each one) for an early Christmas present from their other grandmother. I think that is a way too young, but would possibly let a 9 yo buy one. It is alot of money. I just bought one to use during school and have a hard time when my 8 yo uses it.

And if she got the money as bday gifts, or has it saved, I wouldn't make her work for more money either. I'd much rather my child get one, expensive, useful item than a bunch of cheap junk.

The iPad is just so versatile. She could use it for a lot of things.

And if she got the money as bday gifts, or has it saved, I wouldn't make her work for more money either

I agree. Making her work for a certain amount of the money is arbitrary and very 'artificial,' imo. If a child gets a big stack of tangible birthday presents, no one would recommend taking some of them away and making her do chores to earn them! Likewise, I've never seen anyone tell a child to pick 20% of their tangible birthday gifts to give away, but I've seen lots of people require or guilt their kids into giving away a percentage of money recieved. I don't get it, really. They are gifts.

Likewise, I've never seen anyone tell a child to pick 20% of their tangible birthday gifts to give away, but I've seen lots of people require or guilt their kids into giving away a percentage of money recieved. I don't get it, really. They are gifts.

Totally agreeing with you! Our kids do have to save 10% and give 10%, but never with birthday money. I think that's unfair. It's a gift & theirs to use as they see fit.

Susan

For her birthday, DD9 would like to ask for cash gifts toward an iPad (this would be completely acceptable in our family culture, so etiquette is not an issue).

This is acceptable in my family culture as well (though, we don't give cash rather we all contribute and present one gift from all of us). It sometimes feels we're the only ones, so it's nice to see we're not! :)

This is a great opportunity -and age- to practice responsibility and care for all things, expensive or otherwise. I think the act of purchasing the item would further that lesson -perhaps even kick it off- in a very beneficial way. I'd go over expectations, responsibilities, and ground rules before the purchase so that my child of any age could decide if this was an understanding/verbal contract he could agree to.

Last year my 11-y/o nephew requested and received an iPad; he knew ahead of time what our family expectations were WRT use and care, and he agreed to follow those. The main rule was that he has to self-moderate use, or we'll step in and "help" him. Other rules included manners while using, appropriate times to refrain from use, and the expectation that personal responsibilities (school, sports, chores, family) weren't to be affected by use. He's also responsible for any expenses not related to the initial purchase. It's worked out pretty well.

I think part of having this kind of thing work out well is that the adults have to sort of "let go" a few things - you have to embrace that it's a potential learning experience, and to let that experience happen organically. That is, if you green light this you should truly *GREEN LIGHT* it (outside of understood terms of use) and accept that regardless of how much the item cost, it may get misplaced, damaged, or lost in the course of the lesson. If I felt I had to babysit an expensive purchase, I'd not allow her to buy it; instead, I'd buy it for me/school/family and let her check it out of my personal library IYKWIM.

I would if she saved the money. I have an IPad, and I'm so impressed with how solid it is. Both my kids use it constantly. Definitely get a good case for it.

I also was going to add, most of what my kids use the IPad for is educational games and videos. It's not just a fancy video game. My daughter in particular has learned a ton over the summer just by being allotted a little time on IPad educational stuff daily.

Edited by kck