Menu

Have your kids ever attended school outside the home?

I attended public pre-k for two years, and K-10 in public school.

My hope is that when I have a child or children, I can homeschool from the start, but I am not against considering private school options (we have a great two Montessori schools close by). I'm a little bit ahead in my planning ;) The public schools around here are NOT an option so unless I leave this area when I'm older, that won't change.

My boys are going into grades 9th and 10th and have never gone to school. This year was going to be a bit of a change in that as we were going to try a couple classes at a local Christian school. Unfortunately, my husband has been offered a job and so we have been thrown for a loop. My kids are wanting some friends and outside activities but we are hesitant to try school for a partial semester and then uproot them with the move. Sort of messed up our plans for the time being but I am hopeful when we arrive in Raleigh that we can find outside opportunities for them to get explore.

I have one who has always been in outside school - K, 1st and 2nd were in a Catholic school and the rest in public school. She will be graduating next year.

My son went to preschool for 6 months and then Early Intervention at our public school from 3 to 4 years old for speech delays.

My youngest has never been to school of any kind.

My son went to kindergarten for 6 weeks in Washington state, loved their 2 hour a day kindergarten, but when we moved to Memphis the kindergartens were full days...so we put him in a church prek for five year olds...then have homeschooled ever since, my daughters have never been to traditional school.

Both my kids went to preschool and my oldest went to K and 1st before we decided it wasn't a good fit for him. We toured about 20 schools (in a metro area) and tried to get into a gifted magnet. Could have waited out the gifted magnet, but decided to try homeschool and haven't gone back!

Just a local play-based preschool, 6 hours a week. They loved it because they loved playing with friends, reading, and doing art. :) My oldest is going to try out a new CM uni-model charter school. It *sounds* like the best kind of school I could possibly imagine if I designed my own, so if it actually works like it sounds, it will be fabulous. If it doesn't work, than I don't think it will ever be possible for dd to thrive in a public school. This is the best, and if the best won't work, well, then we'll know and she'll come back home.

Yes.

My daughter went to our church's private school for kindergarten (the school closed) and she went to first grade at the local public school.

My son went to preschool occasionally at our church when I was a substitute school teacher for the church school (same year my daughter was in kindergarten).

We started when ds20 was in 6th grade, ds18 was in 4th grade, dd16 was in 2nd grade, and ds14 was in K. My youngest two have never been. I ask my kids every so often if they would like to go back. They take that as a threat instead of an option :lol:. I really didn't mean it as a threat :D.

Only one of my kids has been to public school. That would be DS9. He went to public preschool for learning delays and speech therapy from the age of 3 to 5 1/2. His teacher and speech therapist knew the whole time that my goal was to bring him home for kindergarten. Then he had an additional year of speech therapy appointments at the elementary an hour a week.

Guest jab300

My oldest son, now 21, went to public K (a disaster) private for 1-3 and we homeschooled him from 4th-8th. He did attend and graduate from the public high school (we had since moved into a much better district.) Ds2 has been homeschooled all along, except for his freshman year of hs...he attended the same public school as ds1 and hated it. Ds3 and ds4 have been homeschooled all along.

My oldest daughter attended a private school through 2nd grade. My son went to Pre-K there that same year. We took them both out and have been loving it ever since. My youngest has no idea what a traditional school is like. (that's seems so strange to me). She is in 2nd grade right now, and although I have learned that you can never know for sure, I can see us homeschooling her all the way through! :001_smile:

Yes!

My DD attended a public Montessori elementary school from kindergarten through 6th grade. We loved it. Amazing school and she has great memories.

She attended public middle school for 7th grade. Another good school. This is when her medical issues hit. The middle school structure of classes did not work well with her learning disability. She was also missing classes due to being sick. That's when we started homeschooling.

Her public school experiences were great. If not for the learning and health issues, she would be in our local, highly rated, public high school.

Yes. Calvin went to school full time from age 4 3/4 to 6 1/2, then part-time from age 6 3/4 to 7 1/2. He was gifted and learning disabled (the latter fading with age) and school was a bad fit. Hobbes went to pre-school for a year or so. They went back to school last year, at ages 13 and 10. It was the right time for them and they are thriving.

Laura

My dd16 and dd14 are attending a public charter school for the first time ever this year. School started Monday and it is going okay, but it will take awhile for us to adjust. I miss them and am grateful that I had the time I had with them. I, too, have been very anxious about this decision but am feeling very relieved. Their schooling was beginning to casue me a lot of stress.

My ds12 started attending a charter school half way through last year. it was his first time in school ever.

My other 3 have not yet ever been in school.

My older girls attended Private, Public and Home schools.

Oldest dd went to a private Pre-K, Public K and 1 (last 6 weeks of 1 were homeschooled), repeated 1 in a Private, 2 back in a different Public then finally HOME for 3-12. She is still living at home (at 21yrs) an is set to graduate from college (she commutes) next summer.

Middle dd went to Private Pre-K and Public K. She was Home 1-5 then attended the local PS for 6-9. She made it through the first 6 weeks of PS in 10 and needed to come home again. We have graduated her and she will be attending TAMU Corpus Christi this fall-- leaves in 2 weeks!

Youngest dd attended Private Pre-K (2 years), and so far Public for K-3. Our plans are for her to continue in Public --but will reconsider after the teacher assignments are posted in a few weeks. It would be DIFFICULT to homeschool this one-- no siblings around, no neighbors for 7 miles, no homeschool groups for 1 hr... and she is my 'social' girl! So far she has THRIVED in PS--- great teachers and I'm happy with what she is learning...but the 4th grade teachers scare me! I'm also working full time from home to help pay for the older dds college... so homeschooling does not look like it will happen unless something drastically goes wrong. Private is out because with 2 in college and no financial aid-- we have ZERO money left!

All of mine have done a 2 hr/week program at the science museum for preschool. Other than that it has all been at home until dual enrollment classes at the CC their senior year.

I still have one at home and I plan on doing this with her also.

Linda