Menu

What is your earliest memory of a news event that made national headlines?

It has occurred to me that there are probably homeschooling mothers on this board who are half my age! That got me wondering what kinds of things were in the headlines when the younger set was growing up. So I ask, what huge news event do you remember from your earliest childhood? How old were you at the time?

ETA: Those of you who are "older" (like me!), please answer as well. My earliest memories of national news include the

Freedom Marches/race riots and also U.S. troops being sent to Vietnam (1965, the year I turned 5). I have vivid memories of the Bobby Kennedy assassination, the MLK assassination, the Manson murders, the 1968 election, the Apollo missions of the 1960s (in particular, Apollo 8 & Apollo 11), Jackie Kennedy marrying Aristotle Onassis, Ted Kennedy & Chappaquiddick, Lt. William Calley & My Lai Massacre, Eisenhower's death, Woodstock, Black Panthers... and all of these things happened between 1965 & 1969, when I was between the ages of 4 & 9.

Edited by ereks mom

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim Jones

and

the hostages being released from Iran. We read the count every day in the paper of them still being held in captivity. Then, on that day we got to watch TV in the classroom (and it was my birthday, so BIG DEAL!) because it was the presidential inaugeration. I still get chills when I think about both of these events.

Challenger exploding. I was in 4th grade. My class and 2 others were watching live in my school library. They were so excited that a teacher was going into space. Then that horrible, horrible moment of it exploding, live while we were all watching. The teachers crying and us all just sitting there listening to the news broadcasters talking about it. It was awful.

I also remember the Berlin wall coming down but I was older then - maybe jr high or high school?

JFK's assassination. I remember watching coverage with my parents and grandparents. The funny thing is though, at that time radio was still the major source of news. I was home from school sick that day, and my grandmother called my mother to tell her, "Turn on the radio. The president's been shot."

Some of my earliest news memories:

Several Apollo shots including 11 and 13 (the Pope asked for prayer for the crew of 13). My poor father had to go to every Gulf gas station in town to get me the commemorative book they had for the moon landing. I still have that book!

The resignation of Nixon

The crash of the DC-10 outside of Paris (cargo door opened after takeoff)

The death of Sir Charles Chaplin

The disaster at Tenerief airport (two jumbo jets collided on runway)

Edited by jelbe5

I remember the first moon landing (Apollo 11?). I was 6. (and, as an aside, I'm feeling very old reading these other posts!)

Ria

:001_huh: Yup, me too.

I remember Nixon resigning. I was 7. We were on vacation and listened to it on the radio in the car.

I remember staying up all night watching the election returns when Carter was elected. I was 6. I had a map to color in. I have done that for every election since then.

I remember the hostages in Iran and three events in particular--when the crisis started, the first time the Red Cross was allowed to see the hostages, and when they were freed. I was actually attending Reagan's inauguration that day.

I also remember when Reagan was shot. I remember my teacher, Mr. Ortega running into the classroom yelling, "The President has been shot!"

I remember the first moon landing (Apollo 11?). I was 6. (and, as an aside, I'm feeling very old reading these other posts!)

Ria

You are not alone! I'm feeling kind of old too! I remember the Apollo missions, including Apollo 11. I also vividly remember Apollo 8, which launched during the Christmas season of 1968. We watched it on television at my aunt's house, where the family had gathered for a Christmas party.

Jones Town

Carter Election

Hostages

Funny thing is about time Jones town my 1st grade class was learning about James Town (and it took a few years before I realized that all the people died and it was 2 different places and time):tongue_smilie:

You are not alone! I'm feeling kind of old too! I remember the Apollo missions, including Apollo 11. I also vividly remember Apollo 8, which launched during the Christmas season of 1968. We watched it on television at my aunt's house, where the family had gathered for a Christmas party.

I decided to give up "feeling old". I'm just old. I accept it, but I refuse to feel it. :lol:

I was in college when Nixon resigned, so reading some of these memories could make me feel old if I allowed it to happen.

When the Challenger exploded...I was in the 5th grade...I am sure something must have happened before that, but that is the most vivid in my mind...

ETA: We were watching it live at school and it was devastating when it happened...

Edited by TheAutumnOak
Something to add

My earliest memory is of Reagan's assassination attempt. I remember seeing it on TV. I was 6 at the time.

I also remember the Challenger and Baby Jessica. We followed both stories avidly.

Now that you mentioned this, I also remember Regan's assassination attempt...I was also 6 at the time...I remember Baby Jessica and I already mentioned the Challenger...

I remember Elvis dying. My aunt had tickets for a concert and was going to take my sister but he died right before. I was 2 1/2 when he died but I still remember my aunt talking about buying the tickets for them. (maybe jealousy and bad feelings makes a strong memory? :lol:)

I remember John Lennon dying and Reagan being elected. I was five.

Cuban Missile Crisis - we lived in FL at the time and I was about six....

OP, talk about OLD!

We were not yet living in Florida, so that's probably why it didn't register on my radar. My dh remembers it. They were living in Key West at the time. I do remember the nuns in Catholic school scaring us with the possibility of Castro-like commandos charging into the classroom and questioning us about our belief.

Some of the first things I remember are

The Falklands War, I was 5.

There was always something on the news about the IRA and what they had blown up.

The Chernobyl disaster. I was 9. I remember we had to stay indoors and make sure all the windows were kept closed. We couldn't even go to school for a few days.

Edited by Pooh Bear

Cuban Missile Crisis - we lived in FL at the time and I was about six....

OP, talk about OLD!

I'm right there with you! Several people mentioned the Berlin Wall coming down, but I can remember it going up, sort of!!! We were stationed in Germany so it was big, scary news. I didn't understand what was happening (I was only three at the time) but I remember all the grownups watching the black and white tv very seriously and telling the kids to shush. My mother explained years later that everyone was expecting the USSR to come flooding into Germany. It was very tense, that I remember.

The next thing I remember is Kennedy being shot. I was in kindergarten and the Weekly Reader was all about him the next week.

Mary

I remember Elvis dying. My aunt had tickets for a concert and was going to take my sister but he died right before. I was 2 1/2 when he died but I still remember my aunt talking about buying the tickets for them. (maybe jealousy and bad feelings makes a strong memory? :lol:)

I remember John Lennon dying and Reagan being elected. I was five.

I didn't even realize Elvis died while I was alive!...I was 5 when Reagan was elected, so we must be the same age and you remember it...

The first thing I remember seeing live was OJ and his slo-mo white Bronco "chase". I was drifting in and out of sleep on the couch watching it. DH was probably in 3rd grade, and he doesn't remember it.

I "remember" stuff like the Gulf War, but I can't remember how I know anything up until OJ. I have a very vivid memory except for things like major world/national events. No surprise I stink at history. :tongue_smilie:

You can tell I'm an Aussie ;)

The first news story I can recall watching was when Azaria Chamberlain was taken by the dingo at Ayres Rock. I remember all the court cases and when Lindy was sent off to prison.

I dont remember how old I was though - about 6 maybe.

I didn't even realize Elvis died while I was alive!...I was 5 when Reagan was elected, so we must be the same age and you remember it...

He died in August of 77. I read something about how we remember things because of strong emotions at the time, whether we felt those emotions due to the incident or just around that time.

I guess I probably remember because I was full of toddler rage...and then remorse when he died. I remember my aunt being sad.