Menu

s/o guns & boys: Is there anything you don't let your girls play with?

I know some take issue with Barbies. I tried to keep those stupid Bratz dolls out of the house. My mom would still send them and I'd take them away. My girls probably also played with them at friends' houses.

So is there anything you tried to prevent your girls from playing with?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DD12 had the same rules as ds with regards to guns.

I didn't want to allow Barbie/Bratz but was faced with a bit of a problem. Dd12's bbf across the street from the time she was 6 or so, has 2 older sisters and a Grandmother who worked for Mattel. They had hundreds of Barbie's, Bratz. 4 houses, cars and paraphernalia. The 3 girls were doll crazy and had anything from baby dolls to doll houses strewn all over the house. They really didn't have much else, other than dolls. While I was okay with baby dolls and the regular doll house, it would have been very hard to avoid the Barbie/Bratz.

Sure, I could have stood my ground and enforced the rule, but honestly it would have been more hurtful to not allow dd to go to her friends home (no way I could control what happened there) than to give in, in moderation.

I did not buy any Barbie/Bratz, but dd12 did have a few of her own that she received as gifts. She wasn't interested in them at all, but would play with them at her friend's house sometimes because her friend was so caught up in that world. It was either that, or nothing so DD12 would play along. DD12 is an animal person and has a room full of Build a Bear and Pet Shops. Over time, she converted her bff to loving animals too! DD12 was never converted to liking Barbie/Bratz. LOL

DD4, likes dolls but would rather play outside. We still have a few around but they are tucked away in the attic. I plan to get rid of them on Craig's List soon.

I can't think of anything I said no to with dds. They do have Barbies and Bratz. My oldest dd always liked Bratz yet she's my most modest so it didn't influence her in those ways. They both also have toy guns, Nerf guns and light sabers. Their most played with toy has always been Legos.

Definitely no Bratz here either. I think we only received one as a gift ever and I let dd give it to a friend whose parents were OK with them. I have usually been able to steer family gifts in a productive direction and we haven't had many big birthday parties. We do American Girl dolls and have a nice wooden doll house and a nice wooden kitchen, tons of books and art supplies. Oh, and Groovy Girls were my compromise when dd's friends were all getting Bratz. They were "stylish" but not anatomically correct at all.

We don't do bratz dolls either. She has Barbies, but only ones that came modestly dressed(none in bikinis or hoochie-fied outfits).

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I also don't do "Monster High" or "Moxie Girlz" dolls. Basically, if the doll wears too much makeup and not enough clothing, I don't allow it.

I convinced my dds at a very young age that some toys were very icky. They would willingly donate them to charity if they were given as gifts, and I would replace them with a book or two. This included barbies, Bratz or similar dolls, play makeup and perfume sets, gaudy jewelry, anything that played obnoxious music, books with questionable content, and so forth. They thank me now and chuckle over it. :D

They did have several real and BB guns, though, as well as a bow and slingshot. ;)

Snakes. Poison. Flame throwers.

Wait, but she's never asked for any.

She makes her own cigarettes out of small carrots.

My oldest, "Nature Girl", has asked for a snake. Ummm, no (I was very calm when I told her no, even though inside I was :ack2: and thinking of :leaving: while screaming). So I guess I can add snakes & rats to Barbies & Bratz as no-no's in my house.

We limit toys to sets. We have also instituted a one in one out rule. That pretty much limits what the dc have. They really have to decide ( and convince me:D) that a new item that doesn't go with one of their sets can stay. If so, great! But, they have to choose one to get rid of. Sets we encourage are dollhouse items, petshop, my little pony, crafty consumables, kitchen set, baby dolls, dress up. They also own legos, horses, and Thomas, but they are stored in the boys' room.

We didn't "prevent" her from playing with anything, but there were things we did not allow her to own or have.

She never had Barbies (or Bratz or any similar dolls), for example, but she did play with them occasionally when she went to a friend's house.

We tried to avoid "licensed character" merchandise, for the most part, too, in favor of more generic toys. For example, when she was really into Beauty and the Beast, we didn't run right out to the Disney store and buy her costumes. Instead, I made her two dresses, one that was blue with a little white apron (like Belle's everyday dress) and a gold one with a full skirt (like Belle's ballgown). That allowed her to be Belle when she wanted to do so, but also allowed for more creative play.

We did make some exceptions to that second policy. She had two Madeline dolls her grandmother gave her and a collection of small plastic figures representing various characters. She also had Buzz Lightyear and Woody dolls and I'm sure some other things I'm forgetting at the moment.

Edit: I just remembered that we also had a rule for a long time that each child was allowed only one electronic or battery-powered/noisy toy at a time. They might have more than one such item in their collections, but they would have to rotate so that only one was in use for a period of time.

For what it's worth, she had no guns or toy weapons, either. We wouldn't have allowed it if she had asked, but she never did.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

Nope! We never made an issue of 'banned' toys (or video games for that matter) and luckily for us, they never BECAME an issue ;) Then again, I was a young mother when my kids were young---so had no concept of banning toys or games (within reason of course) and again, lucky for us, these types of toys and games that our kids DID play with never became an issue, obsession or molded them. And YES---dd played with ALL kinds of Bratz dolls and she never, ever tried to dress like them or act trampy :tongue_smilie:

Edited by 4wildberrys

Snakes. Poison. Flame throwers.

LOL. Well, no poison or flame throwers here, but dd did beg for a snake, and now we have one. Which she sometimes plays with (as much as you can play with a snake ;)).

No Bratz. Pretty much no plastic crap. Playmobil and Lego are awesome, wonderful plastic toys - I'm thinking large sections of the stuff sold by Toys R Us. Never outlawed any of it, didn't care if they played with it elsewhere, just never had it.

We managed to avoid Barbies, even, till just about last year. They are 10 and 13 years old now, and they just got their first Barbies. :lol: They had never asked for them before. I actually have much less of an issue with older girls playing with Barbies, which is the age I think they were originally meant for.

Bratz I would put my foot down for :ack2:, but my girls think they're ridiculous.

Oh, and we never had anything that had batteries. I don't like toys that entertain, I wanted the kids to be able to use their imaginations. And I hate the noise.

I don't have any girls, but a general rule we have applies to girls as well: We don't buy licensed products.

For example,

Dress up clothes are fine, but not Cinderella (or in our case, Toy Story)

Pretend make up kits would be fine, but not the Hannah Montana or Hello Kitty versions

The Memory Game would be fine, but not the Dora the Explorer edition

Monopoly is fine, but not the local university version (although I'm sometimes tempted)

A diary or journal is fine, but it can be a notebook or a pretty blank book, it doesn't have Hello Kitty on it

A bicycle is fantastic, but not a Barbie bicycle

Scooter is good, Barbie/Cars scooter is not

bike bell is fine, but not the Barbie Bike Bell

Silly string is fine, but not Spider-Man Spidey Shots

Leap frog game ok, but not x men version

Connect 4 is good, the Sponge Bob version is not

Color Wonder is good, Disney Color Wonder, no

This is our attempt to cut down on the commercial influences that enter our house. We'd rather the enjoyment be from the activity itself and not have the activity so tied to a commercial license. We find the license adds no value to the product itself & only encourages kids to want more products with that character. I mean, really, Justin Bieber sheets (they say "I love JB" all over them & are available at Toys R Us for about $49)?

We also apply this to our other purchases as well. We need pots & pans, but aren't going to be buying Paula Deen or Emeril's products as they aren't any better than what you would find w/out that name - there is no value added. Martha Stewart branded craft items would be acceptable only if it wasn't something another company offered or if the quality was far above what others were selling. She is known for her crafty projects, so I could go for that as it is her specialty and she has some unique ideas & tastes. However, a Martha Stewart towel or kitchen spatula isn't going to make the cut because these are products that are being sold under a license for her name and her name doesn't add value to these products - other people make them as well. Martha Stewart selected plants in the garden center? I can select my own plants (but that would be cruel as plants in my home don't make it very long).

No Bratz or Barbies (but they have played with Barbies at friends' places), nothing really brand-ish (particular Disney princesses especially). Sometimes relatives buy them Disney princess stuff but I don't, and my family knows better than that ;) (that I don't want it, not that it's inherently bad). They do have generic "princessy" stuff.

No Bratz/Barbie/h00kery Disney Princess. The makeup kit received as a 6th or 7th birthday gift was promptly "lost"...

I'm pretty liberal (I actually fall a few feet to the left of liberal) but I just can't stomach the s3xualizing of little girls. Aren't dolls intended for role playing? :ack2:

We do a avoid licensed products just in general, and my kids rarely watch tv, so they haven't much interest in them anyway.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

Aren't dolls intended for role playing? :ack2:

Good grief what role playing are we talking here. My girls play house with them as in lets bake in the kitchen, drive a car, dance, play, jump, dress up, etc. I can't imagine a little girls acting out some naughty thing with her dolls unless she has been exposed to such things through movies or worse. We have no problem with Barbies or Disney princess here. I don't get them barbies with skimpy outfits, and the Princess are just pretty and fun not sleezy at all.

Good grief what role playing are we talking here. My girls play house with them as in lets bake in the kitchen, drive a car, dance, play, jump, dress up, etc. I can't imagine a little girls acting out some naughty thing with her dolls unless she has been exposed to such things through movies or worse. We have no problem with Barbies or Disney princess here. I don't get them barbies with skimpy outfits, and the Princess are just pretty and fun not sleezy at all.

Yes! I never role-played that I was the doll. My dds like Bratz better because their shoes stay on.:tongue_smilie: My oldest is one of the most modest girls I've ever known so I find it funny that playing with Bratz/Barbies has some adverse effect on them. Their just toys. My morals and I have much more influence on my dds than any toy.

I have never told dd she can't play with something (assuming it was a toy), but there are things I wouldn't buy. Bratz/similar dolls are on that list. (She has never asked for one). So are video gaming systems, Wii, and those little hand-held video game things (Nintendo DS?), and Rock Band/Guitar Hero.. I used to have a huge thing against Barbie, but if she wanted one, I would let her get one. She has never shown any interest.

Video game systems of any kind definitely top my list of no-buys. The kids play them at other people's houses, though.

Tara

We tried to keep plastic away but in the end (by about age 3!), we lost that battle :)

No, girls are easier till they become teenagers- once the boys start taking an interest, taking care of a precious daughter is a full time job! SO, yes, keeping things away from my girl has been an activity that came later in life!

Joking really- we haven't really had problems- but we found we were much more protective of her than our son.

We did one real Barbie and one Dollar Store barbie knock-off. We loved the book, Heckedy Peg, about a (fairytale-type) hag who eats children...she had one leg. The Dollar Store barbie's leg kept falling off, so we named her Heckedy Barbie...:D

Funny, isn't it? I banned Barbie (pretty much) but allowed a book about a hag who eats little kids...

(It's a great book--very strong mama in that one)

DD is twelve now, so this is past history.

No Barbies, Bratz, or anything doll that does not resemble a normal person.

No "princess" stuff.

No guns or knives. Swords were fine, because we here all have a medieval bent. Water blasters were fine.

No "pretend" makeup. That principle still holds, because there will be no makeup worn by dd as a teen. (As I shall be splatted for that, I'll explain that dd is being raised to know that "beauty" is defined by the beholder according to made-up, arbitrary standards, and that "beauty" is randomly scattered across the population. Cleanliness and good grooming enhance whatever is bestowed on the individual by birth.)

The girls have Barbies. NO Bratz anything though. No dolls of Miley Cyrus or any or her friends/cohorts. No makeup, even play makeup. They'll wear it when I determine they're old enough for actual makeup. No major game systems. We have a communal DS and it doesn't get played with constantly. No guns (so easily said by a mom of girls). No knives. They had foam swords to fight each other, but they fell apart too quickly!

You know, I was kidding earlier, but I also don't get certain things for my kids. However, I am not sure at what point that becomes a philosophical refusal to let them do something and when it just never comes up.I refused to get princess stuff partly because I don't really like cartoony junk on clothes, and that was the choice for girls. Partly because I thought it was ugly. I have never had my daughter ask for a princess thing. In fact, she tolerated a princess obsessed neighbor girl who always wanted to play princess, but I don't think she wanted to follow suit on her own time.

There are other things I don't get my kids or they don't ask for. I can't think of anything they've begged for that I refused, though.

In general we don't buy plastic toys or anything licensed. My DD did have a Blue's Clue's stuffed animal, but that's about it.

We flat out will not buy Disney things, particularly the princess collection. I don't forbid her to play with them at friend's houses, but she knows we won't buy them.

Not really. I'd never buy a Bratz type doll because they aren't age appropriate. Not because they are "skanky" as a pp put it. That would imply that women who like sex, potentially with multiple partners and/or dress a certain way are inferior or bad, which isn't true.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I also don't do "Monster High" or "Moxie Girlz" dolls. Basically, if the doll wears too much makeup and not enough clothing, I don't allow it.

Ditto here, and no stripper poles... or scissors, since she cut her hair unassisted 3 times... and her cousins hair, while said cousin with long lovely blonde locks was wearing a pigtail style... poor lil 4/5 year old cousin had hair from 1" to 8" long afterward :-D