Menu

Hassled by the town for a veggie garden in

the front yard.

What do you think of this story?

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/local/julie-bass-of-oak-park-faces-misdemeanor-charge-for-vegetable-garden-20110630-wpms

I'm outraged that a private citizen can be ticketed, fined and put on trial for using her own property in a reasonable manner. If I lived in the same town, I'd be tempted to dig up my front yard and plant a garden just to challenge/annoy the local jerks.

There are whole books out there on "ornamental" vegetable and fruit gardening so that even people in HOA's can't be bothered because their gardens are so beautiful...landscaping with a purpose.

Given the situation with the food supply in this nation, communities need to get their heads out of their behinds and applaud people for their efforts to grow healthy food, not get their noses in a twitch.

Lawns are crazy anyway. But, I won't rant about that here.

Faith

Given the situation with the food supply in this nation, communities need to get their heads out of their behinds and applaud people for their efforts to grow healthy food, not get their noses in a twitch.

:iagree:

There are whole books out there on "ornamental" vegetable and fruit gardening so that even people in HOA's can't be bothered because their gardens are so beautiful...landscaping with a purpose.

Faith

Exactly!

Julie should come here and hang out. She seems like she'd fit it well.

Total aside --- I thought she was wearing a wig. Which made me wonder if she was an Orthodox Jewish woman. Then I saw the other lady interviewed, whose kids were wearing yarmulkes. Anyone know?

I agree! It seems like the neat containers are not unsightly at all and she tried to make it orderly, not just lumps of soil with plants sprawling all over. (Which is ok in my book, too, as long as it stays in her yard. LOL) I say the more green the better and it's not weeds, so chill out!! :lol:

We planted a very similar garden in our front yard here in LA. We're in one of the beach cities and it's very "green" here.

I live in an older neighborhood (read: not trendy) and the home had a jungle of moldy rose bushes and weeds our front. Feral cats were using it as a ltterbox.

I got "Edible Landscaping" by Rosalind Creasy and wroked hard to convince my dh to help me...I think it's beautiful and I love to see the neighbors and kids go by and stop to look.

Only one neighbor complained - she's lived here for 30+ years and she wanted the old rosebushes to stay.

Later, someone told me that she's just grumpy.:tongue_smilie:

I love to give away veggies and now even my dh who thought a front garden would be an eyesore/so untraditional is proud too.

One guy told us he made our yard his screensaver!

Plant on, I say!

Michele

Well, that's just the stupidest thing I've heard all week.

Kinda makes me want to go plant a garden in my front yard in support. I'd much rather have food than weeds.

ETA - I think if the city is going to get that involved in what's growing in private citizens' yards, maybe they should consider mandating that every one has a vegetable garden somewhere on the property. Not that I support anyone anywhere telling anyone what to do with their personal space, but if they are going to be this ridiculous, maybe they could turn it around for the benefit of others instead just to be a pita.

Edited by LauraGB

I think maybe no one would have a problem with it (except for possibly the grumpy neighbor) if it wasn't mostly four large boxes of dirt. She has one little pepper plant in there in about a 3' circle of dirt. :001_huh:

Also, if she'd stuck some marigolds (or how about just more plants?) and a few zinnias in there, it would have just looked like raised flower beds from a distance. No one would care.

Yeah, it's a silly thing to go to court over, but could she just be trying to prove a point?

I think maybe no one would have a problem with it (except for possibly the grumpy neighbor) if it wasn't mostly four large boxes of dirt. She has one little pepper plant in there in about a 3' circle of dirt. :001_huh:

Also, if she'd stuck some marigolds (or how about just more plants?) and a few zinnias in there, it would have just looked like raised flower beds from a distance. No one would care.

Yeah, it's a silly thing to go to court over, but could she just be trying to prove a point?

My thought is, so what if she is? I mean...its her yard. Its not full of debris, garbage, hazardous or ill maintained.

Of all the things to hassle someone about, this just seems ridiculous. Basically, she's being persecuted for not conforming to other's ideas as to what to grow in the front yard.

My thought is, so what if she is? I mean...its her yard. Its not full of debris, garbage, hazardous or ill maintained.

Of all the things to hassle someone about, this just seems ridiculous. Basically, she's being persecuted for not conforming to other's ideas as to what to grow in the front yard.

:iagree: I would have a front garden if my front yard wasn't shaded so deeply.

No vegetable gardens in the front yards here... but that's do to HOA rules, not city code. Personally, I like it because most vegie gardens look ratty much of the year. That said, I think her city has better things to do with their time.

Huh. Our city government encourages front yard gardening---it uses less water and chemicals than the traditional green grass yard.

We still have grass in our front yard, but we also have blueberries, a lot of medicinal flowers, and other edibles. In our back veg garden we chose to make it look really nice, choosing unusual varieties for color as well as flavor, using bamboo stakes and cedar for materials and we mixed in zinnias to hide ugly plants from our neighbor's yard.

It does take some adjusting to see a front yard garden as beautiful when it's all straw mulch and large plants like zucchini or squash....but I've also seen some really tacky yellow weed overgrown lawns. *shoulder shrug* I think the city is off base here.

Its bizarre for the city to be taking issue with it when she is doing something that is such a good idea. We should all be thinking about growing more food. Yes veg gardens can look a bit bland a lot of the year but then they explode into life and look wonderful. Its way better than broken toys and weeds.

We are thinking of changing our front garden into a food production area, we might do a wild flower area on what was the lawn, and keep bees on it and fill the other half with fruit bushes.

Also, for those of you thinking of "lawn" gardening, consider buying heirloom seeds and seedlings. Many heirloom plants are quite a bit more "beautiful" throughout the season than the typical big-ag varieties available in most greenhouses. You can get seeds and seedlings through Baker Creek Seed Company and Seeds of Change.

Additionally, many types of herbs are excellent "barriers' for bugs....pests just don't like the taste or smell. So, not only can you grow marigolds with tomatoes which is an excellent idea, growing lemon basil, garlic, lavender (what out, it spreads so you do have to keep it under control and be perfectly happy to pick it's pretty little offspring and use the scent in sachets, infused oils, and soaps), oregano, thyme, rosemary, etc. Herb beds, even when not "in bloom" tend to look heavenly and will offset the look of the vegetable gardening.

Also, making a rustic teepee out of sticks tied together with twine, makes a beautiful and interesting form for vining plants such as pole beans. I know one gardener who went out into some private forest (she had permission to do so) and harvested all kinds of fairly good sized, pretty straight long stick from downed saplings and small trees. She used these to "fence", think split rail fencing here, her garden and then grew morning glories on the outside. As long as she prunes her "fence" so it doesn't get too tall and block sunlight, her garden does just fine on the inside and from the outside, it looks like a brilliant piece of landscaping.

Faith

on the basis of fair use of private property. Whether or not we think growing veggies is "good", within reason folks should have the right to use their own property as they see fit.

Its bizarre for the city to be taking issue with it when she is doing something that is such a good idea. We should all be thinking about growing more food. Yes veg gardens can look a bit bland a lot of the year but then they explode into life and look wonderful. Its way better than broken toys and weeds.

We are thinking of changing our front garden into a food production area, we might do a wild flower area on what was the lawn, and keep bees on it and fill the other half with fruit bushes.

Oh for crying out loud...

This is in a nearby suburb to us. I hadn't heard about it (not been watching the news much lately).

Uh, yeah, Oak Park (just like all Detroit suburbs) sure should be able to find a better use of it's money. Leave the lady alone.

I'm tellin' you, if I lived in Oak Park, you'd better bet we'd be putting a garden in our front yard. I don't care if the yard was covered in shade; I don't even care that it's a bazillion degrees here right now, and perhaps not the right time to be planting. We'd be planting SOMETHING, just to support this lady.

It's kind of hard for me to imagine them getting away with this in court. There is a guy in Rochester Hills that used the "Michigan Right to Farm Law" to combat his HOA. He has laying hens in his backyard and veggies in the front. The court system upheld the law which was to combat encroachment on the private use of property to grow food for single family useage. Now, if he attempted to sell eggs or sell his produce, then he would have trouble because the law does not protect the use of private property governed by zoning restrictions against agrictultural or business use for the purpose of money making. That they can still restrict.

Faith

So it is more important to fit in with a preconceived idea of what looks good, than to have food to eat? Hm.

You can use the backyard in our neighborhood. And the sides, I think. It's something you know before you buy a house in the neighborhood. Plenty of space in any backyard here, unless you choose to put in a pool or something. For my situation though, it's different in that it is an HOA neighborhood, which is something we chose. Around here, there are plenty of options without an HOA.

How ironic! We live in a smallish community which is feeling the crunch of the bad economy. One local church owns a lot in the middle of town which it plans to build on someday. This spring they put in a watering system, constructed raised beds, and allowed the local citizens to utilize the beds for vegetable gardens. It is known as the "community gardens"!

The really cool thing is that no one has been "poaching" on the veggies and it is not even fenced!

I live in a very small rural community and this is the norm.

I know there are laws to make people feel safe that their investment (house) isn't going to be compromised.

Unfortunately it's easier for communities to listen to the complainers, instead of standing up and thinking for themselves.

We were harassed about having a VW campmobile (licensed, running) in our driveway. Supposedly we have to drive it every 10 days in order for it to be in view. It's a camper. We don't drive it that often, even in the summer. We were told it was an 'abandoned vehicle' and we would have to pay for storage. They cobbled together various parts of the code to back themselves up.

I would love to put a garden in the front yard. I know we'd have the police here within a few weeks if we did. It's crazy.

I have a front yard garden. I think it goes nicely with my front yard chicken tractor, and my soon to be added front yard bee hives. Besides, if I put the garden in back, the pig would eat it. :tongue_smilie:

Your description really cracked me up! :lol:

Additionally, many types of herbs are excellent "barriers' for bugs....pests just don't like the taste or smell. So, not only can you grow marigolds with tomatoes which is an excellent idea, growing lemon basil, garlic, lavender (what out, it spreads so you do have to keep it under control and be perfectly happy to pick it's pretty little offspring and use the scent in sachets, infused oils, and soaps), oregano, thyme, rosemary, etc. Herb beds, even when not "in bloom" tend to look heavenly and will offset the look of the vegetable gardening.

Also, making a rustic teepee out of sticks tied together with twine, makes a beautiful and interesting form for vining plants such as pole beans. I know one gardener who went out into some private forest (she had permission to do so) and harvested all kinds of fairly good sized, pretty straight long stick from downed saplings and small trees. She used these to "fence", think split rail fencing here, her garden and then grew morning glories on the outside. As long as she prunes her "fence" so it doesn't get too tall and block sunlight, her garden does just fine on the inside and from the outside, it looks like a brilliant piece of landscaping.

Faith

I really like the "barriers" for bugs idea. And the "rustic teepee".

I can't imagine why they would be upset over her garden boxes. They look neat and tidy. And she's providing food for her family. I just don't get it.

the front yard.

What do you think of this story?

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/local/julie-bass-of-oak-park-faces-misdemeanor-charge-for-vegetable-garden-20110630-wpms

I'm outraged that a private citizen can be ticketed, fined and put on trial for using her own property in a reasonable manner. If I lived in the same town, I'd be tempted to dig up my front yard and plant a garden just to challenge/annoy the local jerks.

I think that's just crazy. I'm so glad that I don't live in an area like that and that I'm not in an HOA.

Wow, a story about Detroit that is NOT about how they don't have any money. That's something new and different as of late.

Yeah so it's a town full of unemployed, broke people. So let's spend MORE town money to harass someone. She's not even in a HOA.

And haven't these people ever heard of Victory gardens? At a time when we needed to conserve money, resources and food people were ENCOURAGED to plant gardens, in their front yards if needed. Plus putting it in your front yard was sort of a sign of "HEY LOOK! I'm doing my part! What about you?"

But I get it, because Detroit is so well off now. They certainly don't need to be conserving money, resources or food!

(and why is there no 'slap yourself upside the head/duh smiley'?? We need one of those!)

I can't believe the judge didn't throw it out.

The city is pointing to a code that says a front yard has to have suitable, live, plant material.

If you look at the definition of what suitable is in Webster's dictionary, it will say common.

Not the online version. "Common" wasn't even a choice.

a : adapted to a use or purpose <suitable for kitchen use> b : satisfying propriety : proper <suitable dress> c : able, qualified <a suitable candidate for the job>

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/suitable

Let's hope this doesn't stand up in court!

I leave near a city which recently implemented fines for unkempt front yards. I am sure it's partly about creating revenue. I also think it's mainly because there are so many apartments with absent slum landlords. Those folks need a wake- up call.

People should be allowed to grow food and have a lush, productive front yard.

I hope they win!!

Not the online version. "Common" wasn't even a choice. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/suitable

Not in my Merriam Webster's Intermediate Dictionary either. That says:

1: adapted to a use or purpose (food suitable for human consumption)

2: being fit or right for a use or group (clothes suitable to the occasion) (a movie suitable for children)

3: qualified 1, capable (looking for a suitable replacement)

Nope... nothing whatsoever about "common." Wonder what dictionary he's using!

This whole thing is stupid. They need to just leave that woman alone, and I hope the jury agrees that this harassment is ridiculous.

If I started ranting about why it's foolish to have a lawn in Florida, I'd go on for a very long time.

I SO agree with what you're saying. Just visiting FL, whenever I see a pristine lawn I wonder what their water bill is, which is another way of saying how much water did they waste :D But, it's probably better than a sandbox, because the cats will use that.

Planting vegetables and other edibles in urban and suburban spaces is the wave of the future. This town needs to find a crowbar to pry themselves into the 21st century.

I'm thinking they need to pry something else out of another, um, orifice :D