Menu

Do you leave young adults home alone?

Dh wants me to accompany him on a short (2-night) business trip. Our dd is 18. Yes, I know she can vote and join the military and buy cigarettes...but should we leave her in charge of 15yo ds?

I'm honestly not worried about them getting into trouble - the worst is that they will spend more time on the computer than usual, or eat too much junk food. I'm just convinced there will be an earthquake or another disaster while we are gone. :001_huh:

I guess our family should have a natural-disaster plan in place anyway. So, assuming we do that - would you leave the teens for 48 hours?

My parents did this when I was 16 years old, and I was in charge of my other siblings (15, 11, and 9.)

My kids are still very young, but I imagine as long as they were trustworthy, I would go (and keep a cell phone nearby!)

At those ages, I probably would, but you might want to check with your state laws. I wouldn't imagine there would be an issue, but you never know.

There's no specific legal age to be left home alone in CA - and from what I can tell, it would be OK even if a "responsible" 15yo was left in his home with food, etc. So I think adding an 18yo in charge should really make it OK legally. She drives and we'd also leave $$ for emergencies, etc.

OK, it's unanimous...I'll go...but here's an even more important question: Would you go spend a couple of days at a resort in Phoenix when the temp is forecast at 100?

Well... yeah. In the pool with a tropical drink in my hand most of the time.

Yes.... and I would let my next door neighbor know... not that they'd do anything awful but I know she would just make a point of reminding them that she's available if they need it. Both times we've left one or both, she invited them over for dinner, which was nice. It wasn't why I told her we'd be gone but just the kind of person she is.

I would say yes, it will give them a chance to act responsibly, to show you that they're maturing. I would also promise a reward (NOT $) for good behavior. If the younger listens and is respectful, the older refrains from being bossy/overbearing. As for emergency preparedness, give them all the relevent #'s, and if you have a good friend/neighbor who can show up quickly in case of emergency.

I'm actually a little surprised at all the responses that say Yes. I'm gonna have to go the opposite route and say No. I have an 18 year old daughter and a 15 year old son. No way would I leave them home alone for two days...maybe for an afternoon. Both are responsible. But, the two together....nope. They fight too much, unfortunately. But, besides that....I'd be a worry wart the entire time. That's a long time, in my opinion, to be gone. We don't live in the best neighborhood and I would be too concerned, especially at night. More than likely everything will be ok with your kids. If you go....have fun.

I know we left our then 16 yo alone overnight when we were in Europe. That was legal and he was a very cautious kid plus he was about to go away to college. JUst this last weekend, we left our 22, 17 who is about to graduate, and 14 yo home while we went house hunting. The only problem we had was that our 17 yo felt sick while we were away so we told her 14 you sister want to do and it resolved itself.

Of course, and pools at the resort. And I think Phoenix cools off at night?

Yes it does. I'd expect it to be in the low 70's at night. I rather like AZ, even in the summer.

How I miss living somewhere that cools off when the sun goes down... :tongue_smilie:

We would and have and will again...Grandma lives next door..Grandpa stops in often...and our neighbors are great. Last week we took the 4 youngest kids away for 4 days and ds 20 stayed here...took care of the pets and did emergency service calls for our plumbing business. Worked out great....

We have also left our adult children home watching the younger ones for up to a week. They loved it, no one got in trouble, they bonded during that time...and they have great memories or their vacation from us.

Faithe

I'm actually a little surprised at all the responses that say Yes. I'm gonna have to go the opposite route and say No. I have an 18 year old daughter and a 15 year old son. No way would I leave them home alone for two days...maybe for an afternoon. Both are responsible. But, the two together....nope. They fight too much, unfortunately. But, besides that....I'd be a worry wart the entire time. That's a long time, in my opinion, to be gone. We don't live in the best neighborhood and I would be too concerned, especially at night. More than likely everything will be ok with your kids. If you go....have fun.

This wouldn't be a problem for my teens - they are very good friends, and rarely bicker.

But I'm with you on the "worry wart" part!

I guess it depends on the kids. There have been similar situations in our neighborhood with very bad results (parties, police, property damage). But, of course you never hear about the ones with no problem. So, if you trust your kids I guess it would be okay. Are there any boyfriend/girlfriend issues to be concerned about?

Sure I would. 18 yo is old enough in my book, unless s/he is particularly irresponsible. I'd expect my kids to be more than competent to take care of themselves and siblings for a few days by 18 yo.

(Obviously, I'd have other adults on-call in case of true disaster/emergency, etc. I'd also leave a credit card, $200+ cash, and medical insurance cards in a designated place.)

I would, but my 18 yr. Is pretty responsible. The only thing that would make me hesitate leaving a 15 and 18 yr. Old would be wether or not I can trust them and the relationship dynamic between the two (do they generally get along? Will the 15yr old listen to older sibling?).

OK, it's unanimous...I'll go...but here's an even more important question: Would you go spend a couple of days at a resort in Phoenix when the temp is forecast at 100?

You betcha!! I can't even get into a pool unless the temperature is at least at 100. But that's just me. :)

Go and have fun - the kids will be fine!

Dh wants me to accompany him on a short (2-night) business trip. Our dd is 18. Yes, I know she can vote and join the military and buy cigarettes...but should we leave her in charge of 15yo ds?

I'm honestly not worried about them getting into trouble - the worst is that they will spend more time on the computer than usual, or eat too much junk food.

I hope I would be fine with this, and knowing me, if I weren't "fine" with it, I would be too embarrassed to say I wasn't.

If I felt I could trust them to be responsible, then of course. I have had 18 year olds that were very trustworthy, but I also have a twenty-something that now lives independently that I would never trust alone in my house. Ever. But, that is because she is a sociopath and that is another story.

Really, your perception of your adult child is what counts. No way I would leave a ton of cash and a credit card, however. That is way too tempting even for 'good' kids. And you are only going for a couple days, for heaven's sake what would they need that much cash for that couldn't wait for you to get back? Bail?

I'd leave a phone number to contact me and I would set up something with a near-by family member or close friend to step in if hands-on help was needed. I can't imagine why anyone would need a couple hundred dollars and a credit card. Unless you want to pay for a junk food orgy. And why doesn't your 18 year old have his or her own medical insurance card in his or her own wallet in the first place?

I don't mean to sound critical, but I am one of 'those' parents who expect my kids to know how to handle themselves independently, including dealing with emergencies, way before the age of even fifteen. I have no patience for hot house kids, having gone on active duty at barely seventeen, married at nineteen, and worked on active duty with many other people the same age who were paragons of responsibilty, mainly because it was simply expected of them. Consequently I simply expect it of my own kids.

Edited by Rainefox