Menu

Does "religious"= Christian?

When you hear or use the word "religious", do you automatically assume the person/material is Christian?

In a general sense outside the homeschooling community, no. But in the homeschooling world, I definitely equate the word religion/religious with the word Christian. The religious people who are not Christian that I've encountered are a very small minority.

Curriculum materials? Yes I think Christian. I've never seen any type of religious curriculum that wasn't Christian.

:iagree:

In a general sense outside the homeschooling community, no. But in the homeschooling world, I definitely equate the word religion/religious with the word Christian. The religious people who are not Christian that I've encountered are a very small minority.

Curriculum materials? Yes I think Christian. I've never seen any type of religious curriculum that wasn't Christian.

At least, I've never seen a curriculum that is relgious but not Christian say it's religious.

I also agree with the PP who said there are lots of Christians who don't consider themselves religious.

No.

In fact, when I hear "religious" I tend to think "religious, but not Christian--or at least, not conservative Christian" because in my segment of Christian faith, one tried very hard to divorce themselves from the idea of "religious". eg. "Christianity is not a religion, it's a relationship." Few Christians I know would have call themselves "religious."

It depends on where I hear the term. Around homeschooling circles, I learned to realise they generally mean Christian. In my circles, it tends to mean someone who is very involved in any one of many organised religions- could be Christian, Buddhist, whatever.

Religion and spirituality can be the same, can be different. I am spiritual but not religious.

Homeschoolers in Australia are a rare breed- not so common as in America- so the presumption isnt here so much that we are religious, even though apparently most are. But that is changing.

Definitely not. Your religion is what you think is the most important thing in your world. It's the thing you think about most. It *CAN* be God, but just as often it's your job, your money, your social status, picking the perfect curriculum for every subject, your kids, etc.

"Religious", to me, has a strong implication for the stuff we do that looks like religion to those who may not even know better. And those can be people outside of OR within the church itself, and the "stuff" that they see might be sincere OR for show. It's too vague and shallow a term, IMO, to accurately describe my experience or life with Christ so I choose to avoid it.

No, but I live in a very religiously diverse city. Heck when I hear "Christian" I don't even assume someone is religious because I've come across plenty of people who call themselves Christian who don't really practice anything resembling Christianity.

:iagree:

Not where I live. If I meet someone who calls themselves religious, it's probably because they go to the mosque to pray more than once a week. I've never thought of the term as belonging to any one religion, even though I can see that it could be looked at that way.

I don't think I've ever heard someone say they are "religious" if they are in fact Christian. Most Christians are very proud to use the Christian label upfront. I've heard plenty of people say they are "not religious" which obviously applies to any religion.

Yes, but I think it's because of my cultural context. I've lived in the Bible Belt all of my life and mostly in small towns. For me personally, "religious" also has a negative connotation that I associate distinctly with Christians who 'acknowledge Jesus with their lips but deny him with their actions.' I prefer "devout" or "faithful" and I associate those terms with any religion.

In a homeschooling context, absolutely I think that is what is meant. Personally and outside of homeschooling, no, but then I'm a very religious Hellenic Neopagan Unitarian Universalist.

I've been mounting my own small campaign for several years now against the co-opting of "religious" in this context. I won't use it in reference to a curriculum, homeschooling style, what have you. Instead I use the term "Christian-specific" as I believe that to be a more accurate description of what is meant.

I think that my "gut" reaction when somebody says they are religious or that somebody is religious is that, yes, they are Christian. However, I realize how erroneous that is b/c there are MANY people who are NOT Christians who are very religious/spiritual, etc. So, no...I do not think that religious necessarily = Christian. :D

Thank you all for your responses. I understand much better now.

I was not aware that the the term "religious" had a negative connotation. I usually say that I have a strong faith or something like that. I am Zen Buddhist.

I orginally come from an extremely diverse culture, and now live in an astoundingly uniform one. I'm still adjusting.

I take religious to mean practicing a faith on an everyday basis rather than occasionally or not at all. As in, a religious Christian to me would be a person who prays, goes to church, reads the Bible, tries to follow Christian values, is maybe involved in some kind of ministry/outreach through their church. A non religious Christian would be a person who shows no signs of being Christian, but gets married in a church, has their children baptized, and may sometimes go to a church service for Christmas or Easter. People of other religions could be more or less religious in a similar way. I guess I'm interpreting it like devout/serious vs more casual religious life.