Menu

I love reading to my sons more than anything on earth. Every now and then, I stumble upon a kids book that just knocks my socks off.

I'm talking HEART STOPPING good.

Like I need to DROP EVERYTHING and READ THIS OVER AND OVER good.

At the very top, top, tippy-top of our list is:

Rebecca Caudill and Evaline Ness' "A Pocket full of Cricket"

Kenneth Grahame's "The Wind in the Willows"

Ezra Jack Keats' "Pet Show"

What are your top three?

Happy Reading!

C

So hard to pick! One of my very favorites though is Amber on the Mountain. The language is just so incredibly beautiful and deeply evocative of the place...

Shadrach by Meindert deJong is another. The way you see the inner workings of the little boy's mind (and maybe it means so much to me because the first time I read it as an adult was to a very thoughtful five-year-old boy), and the sympathy you have for this mother who thought she had lost her baby and is now smotheringly over-protective (but only because she loves him so much). The characters are just so very rich.

The Real Thief by William Steig. Another one with beautiful language and clear and complex character development. One of my all-time favorites.

Edited by abbeyej

I loved, loved, loved Heidi (unabridged is a must). As a Christian, it was such a great message of forgiveness and hope and redemption.

M next favorite YA book is probably Carry On Mr. Bowditch, Jean Latham. I was actually just thinking about that book this morning. Great theme of "blooming where you are planted" as well as hard work and self-education.

Looking forward to others' recs.

Lisa

Well, I don't know that it blew me away, but one that my kids loved that I had never heard of before was

The Monster Bed. Sister gave it to oldest when he was little. We still have our stuffed Dennis. I still have it memorized.

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Bed-Jeanne-willis/dp/B001309JDU/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1295751985&sr=1-2

Edited by Remudamom

Rifles for Watie.

Puck of Pook's Hill, and later, the sequel Rewards and Fairies. I preferred the former as a child, and the latter as an adult -- many of the stories I simply was not mature enough to understand earlier.

My Side of the Mountain.

My three favorite for the impact they had on us.

Phantom Tollbooth: read it at the beginning of a school year, set the tone for the whole year

Fahrenheit 451: I know not a kid's book but we read it aloud last year. It stemmed some wonderful discussions and even though he is allowed, he quit watching most network TV shows afterward. I think it really spoke to him.

Tom Sawyer: We just finished it. We just moved back to MO so it seemed a fitting time. Ds kept begging me to read more

Favorite picture books:

Weslandia

I was going to mention this one. :D We get it regularly from the library, and my daughter just loves it. Every time I read it now she kisses Wesley. And the picture of him hanging in his hammock and playing his flute is wonderful.

Such an interesting thread! There are a few books listed that we absolutely loathed.

But a few of our very favorites over the years include:

Hittite Warrior by Joanne Williamson

Trumpeter of Krakow by Eric Kelly

Wheel on the School by Meindert Dejong

Owls in the Family by Farley Mowat

------------------------------------

(Believe me, it's killing me to stop with just four.)

It's late and maybe I will add more later but my son and I read The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare and loved it. It's such a beautifully written story.

http://www.amazon.com/Bronze-Bow-Elizabeth-George-Speare/dp/0395137195/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1295761162&sr=1-1

I love this thread. It's given me so many more great books to read! I hope it keeps going.

I still want to read all the HP books over and over and over...to me it has been such a compelling series...when Harry buries Dobby and realizes he has to choose to believe, and defeat the enemy, not pursue power for himself...Snape's last words, "Look...at...me......" and Harry's final realizations when he sees his memories. It really moved me. OK, I'm such a sap.

I also adore Charlotte's Web more than life itself. And another of my very favorites is Dominic by William Steig. Also a story of love, adventure, growing up, so beautiful. One more-agree with the LittLe House books and just remembering how much they shaped me as a child. I SO wanted to be l Like Laura!

Edited by Catherine
Misquoted Snape!

I'll agree with Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH. I'd never read it as a child and was not expecting it to be quite what it was when I read it to DD last year. It took my breath away, truly. I also just finished a book called A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly, and it did the same, although it's really YA fiction rather than a children's book.

One of my very favorite picture books is Ruby's Wish. It makes me snuffle and cry through the end every single time I read it. The same with Grandfather's Journey by Allan Say.

There are so many books I'm looking forward to reading with the girls over the next 10 years.

I am a huge fan of Cynthia Rylant. Picture books, novels, whatever.

:iagree:

PICTURE BOOKS:

Amos and Boris

Uncle Jed’s Barbershop

Brave Irene

The King’s Equal

James Heriot’s Treasury for Children

Anything by Bill Peet

Curious George: Journey WW2 Book (biography ... can't remember the title, will post if anyone's interested)

CHAPTER BOOKS:

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

Charlotte’s Web ... obviously ;)

The Doll People, The Meanest Doll in the World - FAN-TAB-ULOUS series!!! :D

many I enjoy have already been mentioned. There is one we came upon because it was about dinosaurs it was "When Dinosaurs came with everything" or "The day dinosaurs came with everything" something along those lines. My little ones loved it. It is fun to read.

Such an interesting thread! There are a few books listed that we absolutely loathed.

But a few of our very favorites over the years include:

Hittite Warrior by Joanne Williamson

Trumpeter of Krakow by Eric Kelly

Wheel on the School by Meindert Dejong

Owls in the Family by Farley Mowat

------------------------------------

(Believe me, it's killing me to stop with just four.)

We are in the middle of Owls in the Family right now. My 7yo is loving it!!! He has been sick and it has been so wonderful to share such a great read together while he rests on the couch.

I don't know which ones I can think of that "blew me away," but insofar as picture books go, I really loved:

"Don't Let The Pigeon Drive The Bus" by Mo Willems because it's so humorous. The kids liked it, but dh and I were laughing aloud, and that's saying something, right? :D

"A brilliantly simple book that is absolutely true to life, as anyone who interacts with an obdurate three-year-old can attest. The bus driver has to leave for a while, and he makes one request of readers: "Don't let the pigeon drive the bus." It's the height of common sense, but the driver clearly knows this determined pigeon and readers do not-yet. "Hey, can I drive the bus?" asks the bird, at first all sweet reason, and then, having clearly been told no by readers, he begins his ever-escalating, increasingly silly bargaining. "I tell you what: I'll just steer," and "I never get to do anything," then "No fair! I bet your mom would let me." "

There are others in the "Pigeon" series too, which are just as good:

"Don't Let The Pigeon Stay Up Late"- the star of Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (Hyperion, 2003) returns in another irresistible tale. Hurrying away to brush his teeth, the pajama-clad bus driver implores readers not to let his feathered friend stay up late. Youngsters are thrust into the role of caregiver as the puerile pigeon attempts to talk his way out of the inevitable, coming up with requests that range from manipulative (I hear there's a good show about birds on TV tonight. Should be very educational) to cajoling (Y'know, we never get to talk anymore. Tell me about your day) to classic (Can I have a glass of water?).

Another one that is really cute is "Goldie Locks Has Chicken Pox" by Erin Dealey.

"Goldie locks has chicken pox; from head to toe were polka dots. "Where did you get them?" Father said. But Goldie only shook her head. Mrs. Locks phoned Mama Bear, (apologizing for the chair) but Baby Bear did not have spots for bears cannot get chicken pox."

It goes on in that vein bringing in other characters from well known stories and nursery rhymes ("Leave them be," agreed Bo Peep, who happened by in search of sheep. "That's sound advice for chicken pox. It doesn't work for wayward flocks.") and some funny lines like: "Please don't scratch them," said her mother. "Let's connect them!" shouted Brother.

I know chicken pox isn't quite so common these days anyway but it's still a fun story with rhyme that flows well and cute illustrations and well known characters kids (and moms) will love.

Edited by NanceXToo

Picture books by Patricia Polacco and Cynthia Rylant (also Rylant's Van Gogh Cafe)

Where the Lilies Bloom

Bridge to Terabithia

A Wrinkle in Time series

House at Pooh Corner

A Little Princess

The Secret Garden

Little Women/Little Men/Jo's Boys

Caddie Woodlawn

Harry Potter Series

Alice in Wonderland

Mary Poppins Series

From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankwiler

Little House Books

Not epic, but I couldn't get enough of these - Trixie Belden books (I much preferred those to Nancy Drew)

Tom Sawyer

Huck Finn

Almost anything by Lois Lowry, Angie Sage, or Sam Campbell

I think I'd better stop here before I hog the thread. I love children's literature.

Edited by kimmie38017
Added another title

I mentioned this book on another thread but it is so good it's worth another mention - The Search for Wondla. I just finished this book this week and it was one of those books I was dying to tell everyone about. Even my 14yo son thought it was terrific. We had got it from the library but I'm going to buy a copy to keep so I can read it to my grandchildren one day.

Most of mine have been mentioned, but I'll give them a second (or third) vote.

Picture Books:

Basically anything by Bill Peet

The Bear series by Karma Wilson

Chapter Books:

The Harry Potter series

The Chronicles of Narnia series

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

Bridge to Terabithia

I'm sure I could come up with more, but this is what popped first into my mind.

My personal top three, that I read for the first time as a youngster, but have carried over into adulthood:

* The Bronze Bow, Elizabeth George Speare

* The Witch of Blackbird Pond, Elizabeth George Speare

* A Wrinkle in Time, Madeleine L'Engle

My kids say these three, so far anyway . . . we have so many more books to read together!

* Gladys Aylward, Janet & Geoff Benge

* The Roman Ransom, Henry Winterfeld

* The Bronze Bow, Elizabeth George Speare

Great thread! :001_smile:

Did no one mention the Betsy-Tacy series? I absolutely adored those books as a child. Though they are really more geared for girls, I fully intend for my son to read at least a few of them! They are set at the turn of the century (19th-20th!) and follow Betsy and her friends through their childhood and beyond.

I'm not fond of the modern covers they have now, but hoping the original Lois Lenski illustrations are still inside.

As a child I was transformed by:

The Secret Garden

My Side of the Mountain

The Little Princess

As an adult reading aloud to my children, I fell in love with (and so did my children):

Redwall--all of them

Swallows and Amazons--all of them, too

Bill Peet--most of them

First One Foot, Then the Other and others by Tomie dePaola

There are so many wonderful children's books. Such pleasant memories.

My all time favorite book, as a child, was A Wrinkle in Time, and the sequels to it. Our kids aren't quite old enough for it yet.

Some books I have read to them, that have struck me as true gems, are

The Jupiter Stone

Ignis

Harold and the Purple Crayon

Tomorrow's Wizard

Thomas and the Dragon Queen

Dragon's Egg

(yes there is a theme of dragons, magic and aliens...)

Edited by laundrycrisis

Harry Potter series (for ME not the kids, lol!)

Understood Betsy

Little House series

Secret Garden

The Dark is Rising series (again, my kids are too young...but 'I' love it!)

Picture books: (these are favorites of my kids...not 'blow you away', but fun)

The Napping House

IF you give a moose a muffin

Library Lion

The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry and the Big, Hungry Bear

Click, clack Moo-Cows that type