Menu

I love so many books, I could never pick 3 favorites, it would be unfair to all of the other favorites. :D But here's a few we have recently enjoyed very much:

Outside Over There

The Best-Loved Doll

The Tiger Who Came to Tea

And almost anything by Mo Willems :)

DH brought back The Tiger Who Came To Tea when he went to England. It is one of my dd's favorite stories.

My top 3 would have to be:

A Ring of Endless Light by Madeleine L'Engle (or, so that's more YA than kids)

Where The Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls

Bridge To Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

But I have a whole bunch of others that I hate not to mention, too :)

As The Waltz Was Ending by Emma Macalik Butterworth (again more YA than kids)

Into The Dream by William Sleator (read this again as an adult and didn't find it quite so amazing, but I think it may have been my introduction to Science Fiction)

Whistle Down A Dark Lane by Adrienne Jones

Everything else by Madeleine L'Engle

The Upstairs Room by Johanna Reiss

For my DS, it would probably be Lizard Music by Daniel Pinkwater and The Burgess Animal Book by Thorton Burgess. I don't particularly like picture books, either now or as a child, so I can't really say anything about those.

Edited by ocelotmom

We have enjoyed so many wonderful children's books in our home, but the first one that came to mind just now is The White Stallions of Lipizza by Marguerite Henry. Lovely story, wonderfully written with great illustrations, and I'm not even a "horse person" ;)

This was/is an amazing book. I read it with my dd and found it phenomenal. Loved the story, the history, everything. Not long after we read it, we got to see a Lipizzaner show and was moved to tears to see those beautiful horses doing their acts. Knowing their history made the experience even more rich.

During WWII the US helped protect the Lipizzaners too! There's a movie on it.

Also agree with Carry On, Mr. Bowditch, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH and lastly, The Princess Academy.

Edited by Jeanne in MN

WATERSHIP DOWN! It is my favorite book of all time, although it is technically a children's book. It was my pick for our local book club and everyone raved about it. :)

Ender's Game. I think this is sci-fi at its best.

The Hobbit. Masterful storytelling, full of adventure and humor.

I asked my DH what three books he would pick, but oddly, he was never given children's literature as a child. His parents read him things like It by Stephen King and The Island of Doctor Moreau by H.G. Wells. I guess that accounts for how weird he is today. ;)

I'm going to cheat and say the top three I didn't see mentioned, and then further cheat by combining volumes. ;)

Haroun and the Sea of Stories and its sequel by Salman Rushdie Luka and the Fire of Life

The Sea of Trolls trilogy by Nancy Farmer

The Little Grey Men and Down the Bright Stream by BB

OK, I have to add:

The King of Ireland's Son by Padraic Colum

The Dog Who Wouldn't Be by Farley Mowat

I'm in those transition years with my dc, so my choices reflect that right now...

Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm - for a wonderful depiction of developing womanhood

Swiss Family Robinson - for its depiction of a curious and adventurous family

Carry On, Mr. Bowditch - for an example of the pursuit of learning and being an intelligent and hardworking man in the face of adversity

So many of the above already mentioned, but one book that stuck with me recently was Mandy by Julie Andrews. I really loved it!

I loved that one too, and thought perhaps I should have added it to my list after I posted :)

I think my DD might be old enough to enjoy it. I'll look for it for our next "girly book".

Chapter BooksA Wrinkle In Time - Madeleine L'Engle

Earthfasts - William Mayne

The Hobbit-J.R.R. Tolkein

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH - Robert C. O'Brien

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe - C.S. Lewis

and my all-time favorite, Goodbye, My Lady (OOP and hard to find) - James Street

Picture Books

Pink and Say - Patricia Polacco

Leo the Magnificat - Ann M Martin

The Biggest Shadow in the Zoo - Jack Kent

Happy Birthday, Moon (and other Bear books) by Frank Asch

Love You Forever -Robert Munsch

I second the recommendation for Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett. We've loved the whole series. I also really enjoyed reading The Mysterious Benedict Society and its sequels, by Trenton Lee Stewart. I was surprised and pleased by Red Sails to Capri, which wasn't anything I'd read as a child.

For picture books, I just never get tired of the Frances stories; probably the best known is Bread and Jam for Frances by Russell Hoban. Humorous for adults and kids both.

I second the recommendation for Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett. We've loved the whole series. I also really enjoyed reading The Mysterious Benedict Society and its sequels, by Trenton Lee Stewart. I was surprised and pleased by Red Sails to Capri, which wasn't anything I'd read as a child.

For picture books, I just never get tired of the Frances stories; probably the best known is Bread and Jam for Frances by Russell Hoban. Humorous for adults and kids both.

I am just rereading my Pratchetts now :D

I love the Benedict Society books. Constance may be one of my favorite characters ever.

Love this thread!

Picture Books:

A Baby for Grace by Ian Whybrow. This is THE best book for a young child who is expecting a new sibling. The author tells the story from the child's point of view perfectly. I still tear up every time I read it...but in a good way. (And the illustrations are gorgeous.)

Clever Cat by Peter Collington. The funniest picture book I've ever read.

Goodnight Gorilla by Peggy Rathmann Hilarious picture book, perfect for kids not yet ready to read.

10 Minutes till Bedtime by Peggy Rathmann. Also hilarious and great for pre-readers.

Officer Buckle and Gloria by Peggy Rathmann (Okay, ANY book by Peggy Rathmann is great!!)

Chapter Books:

anything by Beverly Cleary :001_smile:

The Not-Just-Anybody Family by Betsy Byars

Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh

Hoot by Carl Hiassen

I have a ton more, but I'm drawing a blank right now....