Menu

Whoa. Baby gear- is some of it really worth it?

I had the pleasure of spending some time shopping with someone expecting a baby this morning and we were out and about looking for baby gear. She's going to need it all and asked for my help to pick some stuff out.

We went to a few stores- WalMart, BabiesRUs, and a couple local baby shops. Wow! Some of the stuff out there is unreal!

For strollers I know that you often get what you pay for in terms of features and quality (plastic vs not) but is it true for all this baby stuff? Are the more expensive items really worth the high price tag? No wonder people say babies cost so much!!! :001_huh:

For example, you can get a Graco carseat at WalMart for $86 but at the same time, you can get another Graco carseat at the baby shop (and BabiesRUs) for $180. It gets even more expensive once we looked at the Peg Perego carseats. Sure some have fancier handles and side impact but are they that much safer? Are the less expensive ones less safe? Are the more expensive seats worth it or is it more a matter of convenience or.... prestige even? Some of those seats were over $300. :svengo:

And the play pens. Oh my. They had some fancy ones when I purchased mine 3 years ago but they're even more so now... especially if you go to the high end stores.

My friend was a little :willy_nilly: about all the prices. I have to admit I'm kind of glad we're stocked up already. :tongue_smilie:

So, what says the Hive... what baby items do you think are worth paying a much higher price for and for what items will the bare minimum do? I'm curious what everybody here thinks about this.

Examples of some baby items we looked at:

cribs

strollers

car seats (infant kind)

play pens

swings

high chairs

I never really understood why people would tell me babies are so expensive... if you're nursing, they don't really need much. But I guess that pricey baby gear adds up!!

I've never had the funds to go high end insanity when it came to my babies.

I bought everything but the carseat and crib 2nd hand for Tazzie. Princess received a new swing (we'd given Tazzie's away) for a gift, and a bassinet (I never used one before).

Everything depends on who you talk to. I know folks that consider it cruel to NOT use a wipe warmer, but I never did...heck at home it was a specific set of face cloths!

Never used a playpen either. Never had a place big enough to warrant it...baby gates served way better.

I've never had the funds to go high end insanity when it came to my babies.

I bought everything but the carseat and crib 2nd hand for Tazzie. Princess received a new swing (we'd given Tazzie's away) for a gift, and a bassinet (I never used one before).

Everything depends on who you talk to. I know folks that consider it cruel to NOT use a wipe warmer, but I never did...heck at home it was a specific set of face cloths!

Never used a playpen either. Never had a place big enough to warrant it...baby gates served way better.

I never saw the need to go high end either (except with a stroller :D), but I can see how easy it could be to get swept away in the madness.

I do cloth so I never saw the use for a wipe warmer.

Now a play pen... I needed that desperately to keep subsequent children alive and safe from their loving toddler siblings. There is such thing as a little too much love sometimes. :tongue_smilie: Dh and I just bought an inexpensive one that had the change table as part of it. It does the trick but doesn't have any of the fancy selling features.

I don't think the expensive stuff is necessary. There's a lot of things we got rid of after ds that I would not bother buying again (even used) if we had another. One example: a highchair. I would buy the booster seat that reclines for babies. It would take up sooo much less space and would be used longer.

We used the pack 'n play a lot, but only because we moved when PDG was still an infant. It came in handy while we were staying at hotels and in temporary housing at the Base to which we moved. We never really used it at home, though, only on the few vacations we took when the girls were babies.

As to swing or bouncy chair, PDG loved the swing, hated the bouncy chair; LLL was the absolute opposite. The only thing I would suggest, though, if you are trying to scale back, is get a portable, small swing rather than a tall one. We ended up taking that to friends homes, the park for picnics, etc. It was very handy. The bouncy chair we had was also foldable and portable, but nothing fancy.

The one thing that I wish we had sprung for in a bigger way up front was a better stroller than we bought originally. We went out for a ton of walks -- I used it almost daily, and it was awful anyplace but the smoothest sidewalk or flat indoor surface, like the mall. When PDG started to get heavier, it became very difficult to push. It wasn't a super cheap stroller, but I wish I'd tested more with a more-critical eye. I wouldn't do a "travel system" either. If I was set on having a stroller that could accommodate a car seat, I would buy one of those cheap frames, and get a much better stroller if it didn't accommodate a car seat. Turns out we had to replace the car seat very early anyway --both of the girls were really, really tall, and outgrew the Graco travel system compatible seat before they were 9 months old.

The one thing I would NOT buy again is a diaper genie type contraption. Just keep every grocery store plastic bag you get, wrap up the dirties and take them straight to the trash. Those diaper pails stink no matter how much they say they won't.

So, what says the Hive... what baby items do you think are worth paying a much higher price for and for what items will the bare minimum do? I'm curious what everybody here thinks about this.

cribs

strollers

car seats (infant kind)

play pens

swings

high chairs

!

Let's see... I've had the pleasure of getting through baby's first year eight times. We've cut the fat, lol.

We have a stroller we don't use. Free to good home.

I don't own a wipe warmer. (We use cloth with warm water.)

I don't own a bassinet. Babies sleep with their mama.

We don't own a crib. See above.

We don't own a playpen or a portacrib. And when we did, it lasted six months and broke easily.

The swing... Well, if you have a baby that is super high needs this CAN be a necessity. ;) Only two of mine have ever "required" one, lol.

I don't own a bouncy seat.

I don't own a baby size bathtub.

I never buy those stupid baby washcloths.

We don't own bottles - nursing.

I sold my pump that I never used. (Got it because Ella was in the NICU, but then rented one for a couple of days.)

Car Seat - well worth it and if $$ were no issue I'd spend over $200 on a Britax. ;)

High chair - we do own a high chair we hate and never use. We're hoping to buy one of those simple wooden ones you use at restaurants.

Baby Food Grinder - unnecessary

So, no, most of it is a complete & utter waste of effort, time, and money.

Where I WOULD spend money?

~ A really nice baby carrier and you can't pick those up in stores and they'll run you $100+. (Although if you can sew and read up on safety standards you can make a nice carrier. I spent about $60-$70 on the last carrier I made.)

~ Quality cloth diapers - though I would NOT buy the fancy all-in-ones that are so popular now if you intend on using them on a second baby.

~ Swaddle blankets. They're inexpensive, but I'm telling you I had one for the first time (with the velcro) with the last baby and I'm in LOVE. They keep that baby nice & snug.

~I just got a Tickety Bu for Ella for Christmas. I think it could be legitimately argued that one of those IS a necessity. :D

That's it. I need nothing other than those things and a carseat. The method has been fine-tuned. :D

Edited by BlsdMama

my advice: our infant carseat lasted about 4-5 months, at which time each my kids (who are not giants by any means) outgrew the seat for length (it was an old Graco with a 26" limit). So I advise spending less on this.

high chair: I never owned one. Instead, my six kids all used this: http://www.amazon.com/First-Years-Newborn-Toddler-Reclining/dp/B002WN2C0E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1293134883&sr=1-1 My 17.5-month-old now wants to sit in grown-up chairs :glare: so I'm ready to retire the seat. It certainly doesn't owe me anything. Talk about a bargain...

For strollers, I advise the mom to think carefully about what she'll be using it for - mall walks from the car (i.e. needs to fold compactly and easily and one-handed, narrow for aisles, etc.) (for me that was the old Combi Savvy - not sure if they still make it)? walks down bumpy sidewalks to the playground (large sturdy wheels, to be stored in garage)? With my first, I used a stroller often and had a couple different kinds. With my last, we have a slightly different lifestyle at this point, and I hardly ever used a stroller (and yet, there were a few times a stroller was indispensible). Personally I am not a fan of the giant heavy ones, but to each her own.

No playpens here, though we use the Pack N Play as a travel crib quite regularly. As far as I can tell, for that, Graco is the one to get.

That's my two cents. :)

For strollers I know that you often get what you pay for in terms of features and quality (plastic vs not) but is it true for all this baby stuff? Are the more expensive items really worth the high price tag? No wonder people say babies cost so much!!! :001_huh:

Sometimes. Sometimes not. You really need to research the individual item. Not the price.

There's a book that is a GREAT help. _Baby Bargains_ by Alan and Denise Fields

For example, you can get a Graco carseat at WalMart for $86 but at the same time, you can get another Graco carseat at the baby shop (and BabiesRUs) for $180. It gets even more expensive once we looked at the Peg Perego carseats. Sure some have fancier handles and side impact but are they that much safer? Are the less expensive ones less safe? Are the more expensive seats worth it or is it more a matter of convenience or.... prestige even? Some of those seats were over $300. :svengo:

The $86 Graco at Wal-mart is probably the lower-limits Graco Snugride with a rear-adjust. So they only fit your baby up to 22 pounds or until their head is within an inch of the top -- my DS would have outgrown that seat before 5 months old (which was before he could sit up on his own). Rear-adjust infant seats are harder to use on a day to day basis than front-adjusts, but are evidently cheaper to make.

The most expensive Graco I can find on the Babies R Us is $160. But it is the Snugride 35 -- which fits your baby up to 35 pounds or until their head is within an inch of the top. We used a predecessor of this seat (the Safeseat, limits of 30 pounds) and my son fit to 13 months, at which point we decided to move him for reasons other than growing out of it. (When I bought the Safeseat, this edition of the Graco infant seat was also MUCH easier to install than the smaller one)

The Peg Perego is VERY expensive, and does not last very long. I don't see it recommended at all on the car seat board I am on.

All car seats pass the same tests. There are no "Safer" and "less safe" car seats, regardless of price -- at least that has been tested. As parents, we have our own feels for companies who we trust to stand by their products, which of the extras are worth paying extra for/give more peace of mind. But any US car seat that you can install properly in your car every time and fits your child is equally safe. They have all passed the same tests. They do not fit every combination of child and car equally well. Nor are they all equally easy to use.

cribs

strollers

car seats (infant kind)

play pens

swings

high chairs

I never really understood why people would tell me babies are so expensive... if you're nursing, they don't really need much. But I guess that pricey baby gear adds up!!

crib -- I wish we'd just bought the IKEA crib instead of the $500 drop side we did

stroller -- I was very satisfied with my Graco Snugrider to carry the Graco safeseat. We'll be doing that again for this baby (and trying to buy the stroller on CL. I won't buy a car seat used but I have no compunctions about strollers)

play pens -- my preference is the very basic Graco ones. (After trying to fold/unfold a different brand I decided to be brand loyal here) it DID happen to have a bassinet that was used for son's first 6 weeks of life before we got the crib put together. That was nice.

Swings -- never used

High Chair -- used the Fisher Price Space Saver high chair and it worked fine. Might check out the IKEA this time (it took up too much space so we eventually got rid of it)

Edited by vonfirmath

Pay for the best:

Car seat--it's a safety issue. The best is the CR safest, not necessarily the most expensive!

Carrier--Baby Bjorn or whatever. Worth its weight in gold. Try them all, buy the best

What to buy that should be portable (doesn't have to be expensive, but should be plastic, hosable, and portable:

Play pen

High chair--the fold up portable ones are wonderful.

Stroller--don't know. Depends. Are you going to carry the baby or not? I got a fancy jogging stroller that we used for years. Our everyday stroller was cheapie, and that was fine. Mostly I was a carrier.

Cheap:

Clothes

Bedding

Toys, don't really bother with these

Diapers. Please.

~ Swaddle blankets. They're inexpensive, but I'm telling you I had one for the first time (with the velcro) with the last baby and I'm in LOVE. They keep that baby nice & snug.

:iagree: Where the swaddle blankets with my first four? How did I survive without them? My infant lives in his, and we couldn't be happier about it. He's also my best sleeper with the best routine. I credit the swaddle blankets.

:D

I got a swaddle blanket when ds was born and he absolutely hated it. He had to be able to stretch his legs out or he got mad. I guess some things just depend on the likes/dislikes of baby.

cribs

strollers

car seats (infant kind)

play pens

swings

high chairs

Crib - buy new, but not necessarily high price. I bought one new crib for my first child, but arguably I could have (for safety's sake) bought a new one for my youngest.

Stroller - I bought mid-range. I wanted certain features, but I couldn't care less about brand.

Car seats - Again, I wanted certain features, and I checked out Consumer Reports. I would not buy car seats or strollers with beautiful pale colors, though. Dark blue or some similar color that doesn't show dirt so badly.

Play pens - I had a cheapy pack-n-play. We used it infrequently. I think I bought mine used.

Swings - Liked the small, portable kind. Bought it used.

High Chairs - Liked the small, portable kind.

I thought the Kangaroo Korner fleece sling I had with my youngest was so awesome. I borrowed that from a friend, but I would gladly buy one new if I had it to do again.

Of that list the only thing I use is the carseat- and I buy based on the highest safety rating i can afford.

I do have baby carriers, those are an absolute necessity. Wrap for the newborn and then an Ergo, worth every penny and more. When out and about I use the carrier- who wants to wrangle a stroller and 2 kids? I have a stroller I use some but that is for walking and such.

I didn't spend much for anything.

We got an infant car seat new, but I got a Baby Bjorn used for about $2, pack n play was given to me, crib was borrowed (and rarely used), a stroller was given to me by the hospital and we loved that one! Never owned a changing table, used a pad in my diaper bag on the floor usually.

We didn't use most of it for any of our four. We bought:

Fisher Price Infant to Toddler Rocker (lasts from almost newborn to about age 4/5)

Sling

Carseat/Stroller combo

Receiving blankets

Warmer blankets

Clothing

Nursing pillow

We really didn't use anything else until our babies were older. Then we needed baby gates, some teething toys, a convertible car seat (basic one), other small toys, and a high chair that hangs on the side of the table.

We did have a bouncer and swing but our kids didn't care for them.

Safety rating is obviously very important in choosing a car seat, but comfort runs a close second, imo. We compared two Graco seats that were about $80 and $160, and the cheaper seat was hard as a rock. I couldn't imagine putting my soft, squishy newborn in that thing. We chose the more plush seat and feel much better about putting ds in it.

the only thing I suggest is a good carseat. I loved the Britax car seat. They will install it for you and teach you how to do it for yourself. (so will the Fire Dept) The Britax was super easy to install and move from car to car. Not real bad to clean either.

Lara

Check online and see if you have a local MOM's (mother of multiples) group that you can go to a sale and get the bouncy chair, highchair etc for cheap.

Check craigslist as well.

Who is this "They" that will install your car seat? Anyone you go to to install your carseat should be teaching you how to install it, not doing it for you. If you go to a CPST (Child Passenger Safety Technician -- the folks that are trained to do this) then they will have experience with a wide variety of cars and car seats. Not every fire station has a CPST on staff -- and not every fireman knows how to do this just by virtue of knowing how to put out fires. You need to ask if they are certified.

Safe Kids USA has a place to find car seat checkup events and inspectors near to you. Check out their website.

As for Britax -- I love their convertibles. But their infant seat is rather expensive for the amount of life you get out of it. The Chaperone is better from this standpoint than the Companion (review http://carseatblog.com/2714/infant-seat-first-look-britax-chaperone-review/ http://carseatblog.com/4722/guest-review-on-the-road-with-a-britax-chaperone/). But the Graco Snugride 35 is cheaper than both and still easy to use and install, with higher limits.

A friend brought over a baby swing she swore by for my re-fluxy baby and I thought I was in heaven. Baby actually slept!

I have a friend who credits the AMBI bed for a happy life. :D

I thought it was unnecessary, but she tends to have colicky babies! It was a big relief to her.

I'm so sorry the swaddle blankets didn't work for some. You have me worried... I have every intention of having FOUR or so for this new baby so I can't ever lose them, lol. :)

Hmmm... Now if only Tickety Bu made swaddle blankets... Now THAT would be a worthy combination.

Edited by BlsdMama

We were abundantly blessed with hand-me-downs and baby shower gifts and got everything else at consignment stores. We got our car seats from some program at the hospital--I don't remember if it was income-based, but it would be worth looking into.

There are great deals to be had at consignment stores--most everything is in great condition and costs 1/2 of what you'd pay to buy it new. If she doesn't like to buy used, I think it would just depend on lifestyle. There's no reason to buy a jogger stroller if you don't jog or hike.

cribs

strollers

car seats (infant kind)

play pens

swings

high chairs

QUOTE]

Cribs-a sturdy one that converts into a toddler bed then into a full bed is worth the $ since it will last a long time.

Strollers-only if you plan of using if for an extended period. My personal favorite is the Baby Jogger City Mini

Play pens-not worth it!

Swings-children either love em or hate em

High Chairs-I like the ones that attach to regular DR chairs myself

Car seats-the higher end ones, like Britax have anti-rebound bars on them which is an added safety benefit. Two of the best, longest lasting, easiest to install, fit tiny newborns well (the Graco infant seats do not-the lowest harness slot is usually above their shoulders which is not allowed when rear facing) are the Safety First OnBoard (either version is EXCELLENT) or the Chicco KeyFit30.

Baby gear is such a racket. Really, you don't need the vast majority of stuff they try to convince you to shell out thousands for. If I could go back and do it again, I wouldn't even buy a crib, since dd has coslept her entire life. I never had a playpen. The floor, a blanket, and a little supervision were plenty. And dd was much happier there than she would have been in a fleet of swings and bouncers.

A stroller can be handy, if you need to haul library books or groceries when you're walking. Otherwise, get a long piece of fabric for fifteen bucks at your local craft store and learn to tie your own wrap.

I didn't even warm dd's bottles, much less her wipes. And she's one of the happiest, well-adjusted toddlers out there.

Oysh, a walk through those baby stores is enough to give anyone a bad sensory overload headache! And 99% of the stuff is completely optional if not altogether useless.

After 3 kids, here is what I found worked for us.

1) Crib -- the one my parents bought for my first never made it past laundry-storage stage, as all the children co-slept. Eventually we did take off one side and bungee cord it to our bed as a co-sleeper/extra space, but you can either get a dedicated co-sleeper or forego this entirely. Borrow if you can, not necessary to spend money on IMO at least for the first few months until you know what you need. (Or borrow a bassinette for a while until it's figured out).

2) Bottles/wipes warmers, etc....never used these. We nursed and used cloth diapers. I did rent a pump for a while when I had to have surgery right after dd1 was born.

3) Diapers -- we used cloth and we did invest money in nice diapers. I went through an experimentation stage and shelled out a lot but in the end i sold the expensive stuff and went to good prefolds and covers, and some pocket diapers for outings. Ended up saving a huge amount of money over disposibles or even expensive cloth.

4) Stroller -- i used the snap n go frame thing for a couple weeks, then bought a good jogger (BOB) which I used for walks, runs, etc. I did eventually buy a Maclaren Vogue for malls/ in-out of the car. Both lasted through all 3 kids. I just sold the BOB (and the double Mountain Buggy I bought used when dd2 was born) and keep the Maclaren stashed in the garage. My youngest is 5 but still fits on long outings if we need it.

5) Baby carriers -- spent lots on these trying out different ones, sold off most for what I paid or nearly. In the end I usually had a pouch, a wrap, the Ergo, and a Maya Wrap ring sling around for each kid. Sometimes that varied but these were indispensible and worth every. penny. I sold off most after ds was done being worn (around 3 1/2 years old) and gave some away to our LLL group.

6) toys/books/doodads -- Most were gifts or bought second hand. I did not and do not buy electronic/battery operated toys (with the one exception of ds' Hess trucks). Books I will spend money on pretty freely.

7) High chair -- got a nice one used for dd1 and although we rarely used it, it was useful sometimes. I think it was a Peg Perego or something? It had a bar between the legs and the seat reclined. My kids didn't really use it much but it came in handy once in a while and lasted through all 3 kids. Sold it for 80% of what I paid so in the end it was worthwhile.

8) Clothes -- nearly all were gifts or hand-me-downs. Nearly 100% of the remainder has been bought used and resold. Net investment is very low.

9) Carseats -- we buy the best we can afford that are the most up to date with safety standards and as comfortable as possible for the child. This is a red line issue for me. All the kids had Graco infant seats with front adjust and graco-pedic foam. They all went into the Britax Marathon rearfacing until at least 2 years old (for them the seat limits were lower). Ds is still in a Nautilus in a harness (he's 5 and about 41 lbs.); dd2 (who is 7 and 47 lbs.) is in a Monterrey high backed booster. She was in a Radian after the Marathon (before the Nautilus came out). With the infants seats now that can be used to 35 lbs., there is really no excuse anymore not to rear face a long time. The more expensive seats usually have more padding and creature comforts. Since you shouldn't buy after market add-ons (padding, strap covers, buntings, etc.) because they can compromise the safety of the seat, it might be worth spending a little more on one of the 'fancier' seats that comes with these already-tested and approved add ons. Just something to think about.

10) playpens, swings, etc....we borrowed all of these. Used them occasionally but not enough to have warranted buying new. Friends who had outgrown them were quite happy to have them lent out and used by others (and not to have to store them!). Asking around may very well yield some great stuff that others aren't using at the moment!

Truthfully a baby can be as inexpensive or expensive as a person decides. If you are of a frugal and naturally-oriented mindset, you can not only make do but have a great collection of useful, gently used things that work and are not superfluous. If you are more into the latest and greatest, you can go that route too. Baby doesn't really care to be perfectly honest. They're usually happiest wherever you are. :001_smile:

I remember when dh and I went to register for baby gear when I was pregnant with our first. We were looking at strollers and dh got down on his knees and started crawling along looking under each stroller.

I asked what he was doing and he responded, "With prices like these, there has GOT to be an engine under here somewhere." :lol:

I got a swaddle blanket when ds was born and he absolutely hated it. He had to be able to stretch his legs out or he got mad. I guess some things just depend on the likes/dislikes of baby.

:iagree:Keaton liked being swaddled for his first week while we were in the hospital. When we got home, he would have none of it. The three lovely swaddling wraps my cousin got for me are packed away in unused condition in case the next baby likes it.

We never have owned a crib -- babies sleep with Mama.

We have a high quality umbrella stroller because babies are carried by Mama until they're old enough for the umbrella and/or want to ride in the stroller.

We use a convertable car seat that goes rear and front facing because we don't carry babies around in infant seats.

We use a cheap portable high chair seat that straps onto a regular dining room chair -- it saves on floor space and is more versatile.

We nurse and cloth diaper (though we have used some disposables with the latest little one) so not much expense there.

The things I think are really worth purchasing are a couple of quality carriers (a soft pack like the Ergo and a good wrap, at a minimum) and a bouncy chair (something for baby to sit in for a bit so s/he can look around at everyone and Mama can go pee). That, a car seat, and a few sleepers and *large* blankets are all I've ever needed/wanted with an infant.

Here is my list for my 15-month-old:

Invaluable for us: Boppy pillow (new) for nursing and propping baby and bouncer chair ($5 used) for somewhere to put him (mostly while I showered or cooked) before he was mobile.

Crib: $50 unfinished wood floor model from IKEA. Dh painted it black for me. I was surprised to discover that black is apparently trendy for cribs and thus they cost WAY more than white or wood colors.

Other Bedroom Furniture: 2 ex-daycare toy shelves ($40), bookcase/cupboard repainted by dh ($20 plus paint), metal school lockers painted bright red (from my jr. high!), glider chair from garage sale ($20) recovered by Nana.

Strollers: $15 new umbrella stroller that lives in the car for shopping and air travel, $5 jogging stroller from a garage sale, and main Graco stroller bundled with carseat purchased on sale and with coupons. Some people think I'm weird to have 3, but I really do use them all and love them.

Car Seats: I got a Graco SnugRide 35 and was very happy with it. Keaton was so big, however, that he moved up to a Radian80SL at only 4.5 months. I got it on sale and am LOVING it (thank you SpyCar, and others, for the recommendation). We're still using it rear-facing at 15 mo. and 27 lbs, and intend to until at least age 2.

High Chair: $25 booster w/tray from Walmart. I don't have room for a full-sized one anyway, and this is so much cheaper and easier to clean!

Playpen: NEW, but cheaper model. I paid around $50 at Toys 'R Us because I watched for sales. I actually bought a perfect-condition used one first, but it was recalled and I got $100 back from the company for it!

Clothes: 95% from thrift stores. I only buy new socks and the occasional adorable outfit that I "must" have.

Shoes: used or on great sale only (except for one "nice" pair that I'm willing to pay a bit more for)

Expensive but awesome for us: Bright Starts Activity-Go-Round ($70, from Nana), Kickin' Coaster (on sale for $40, probably not worth the $70 I've seen it other places)

Wastes for us: Bumbo (at least I only paid $5 for it!), swing (sold at garage sale), Johnny Jump-Up (saving for next baby), baby monitor (returned). Unfortunately, I'm somewhat of an outcast in my very pro-babywearing, co-sleeping LLL group. Wraps, slings, carriers, etc. have mostly bombed for us. He likes the fancy hiking backpack that a friend gave us, but barely tolerated the front carrier and HATED the sling. I am also looked at suspiciously/disbelievingly when I explain that Keaton PREFERS to sleep in his crib than with us, and we're all fine with that!

Edited by AndyJoy

I had the pleasure of spending some time shopping with someone expecting a baby this morning and we were out and about looking for baby gear. She's going to need it all and asked for my help to pick some stuff out.

We went to a few stores- WalMart, BabiesRUs, and a couple local baby shops. Wow! Some of the stuff out there is unreal!

And the play pens. Oh my. They had some fancy ones when I purchased mine 3 years ago but they're even more so now... especially if you go to the high end stores.

My friend was a little :willy_nilly: about all the prices. I have to admit I'm kind of glad we're stocked up already. :tongue_smilie:

cribs

strollers

car seats (infant kind)

play pens

swings

high chairs

I bought the cheapest crib, changing table and high chair. I was gifted a plain jane pack n' play and wind up swing. I also have a plain jane, no batteries needed bouncy chair. 7 babies and 13 years later I am still using everything but the swing. After baby #2 decided he couldn't sleep anywhere but the swing I gave it up and have never used another. I never had a fancy stroller and never missed it. But I am a simple girl. :001_smile:

ETA: I do not think babies are expensive.:001_smile:

My personal must haves:

Sling

Swing

High Chair (only because it's free)

Infant Car Seat

Bassinet (only for having a safe place for a young infant)

We don't use bassinets (except for what I mentioned above), cribs (baby sleeps with mama), strollers, on occasion. Oh, no playpens/pack n plays. I've never used one except for a couple of times at church (it was in the nursery).

When I was preggers and trying to figure it all out, I wish I'd had more friends with kids to help me know what was worth the money and what wasn't - though some of this depends so much on your parenting style and at least a little on your kids. If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to not buy a crib at all, not to waste money on so many linens (towels and sheets and washclothes and so forth), not to overspend on the carseat, not to buy reusable diapers and covers, not to get a swing or a bouncy chair, not to bother with bottles or anything related to bottles, and not to buy any so-called babyproofing things until I actually needed them. And instead, I would tell myself to use the money for a crazy expensive double stroller, a much nicer sling or wrap, and two baby hammocks. Okay, who's got the time machine? I'm ready to go back and make my life easier.

Five kids later....LOL

I've found that a LOT of the extras aren't really needed.

High chairs - I used to SOOO want those cool super fancy high chairs with all kinds of toy attachments and so on. The reality is that those toy attachments were taken off within just a matter of time and lost in just mere seconds. lol Also the more gadgets on a high chair, the more to clean.

SO less is more. And plastic is easier to clean then tons of fabric. lol

Cribs - there are SOME safety concerns with a bottom of the barrel cheapo crib. However, you can safely get a mid-range crib that is just as good as a high end one. Mostly you're paying for style and brand name. ;)

Car seats - There are some safety reasons to pick certain brands, and often those brands are the $$$ ones. HOWEVER, Graco Snugride is a perfectly acceptable brand. ALL cars eats sold in stores these days have to pass certain safety tests.

Strollers - Again, you pay more for more features. Cup holders are nice, and I'd probably make sure to get cup holders. Also storage is nice to have underneath for putting diaper bags, etc. There are some features that are worth paying extra for. BUT if you can get those same features in a Graco brand as you can a more high end brand, then opting for the cheaper brand (in most cases!) is better if you're on a budget.

Playpens - I went shopping for a playpen last year and was overwhelmed by all the choices! I just wanted a basic pack-n-play. lol I did end up getting one with a bassinet insert and a mobile, but that was only a tad bit more then just a basic playpen with nothing in it. The reality was that I used the bassinet very briefly and the mobile kept getting knocked down so I took that off right away. lol

If I had it to do over, I would have got a Kanoe Hammock or an Amby.... A baby carrier... (sling, Ergo and something like a Moby) a stroller like... a MacLaren....(which is what I got) a spot to put baby while sleeping.. while I'm not. Cloth diaper (diaper service quality) a few "night clothes"..... Some easy sweet day clothes... and some wooden toys... (and wooden rattles)

Dr Sear's Baby Book

Cloth Mama and Br**st Pads for me :)

and ... one of the belly huggers.. at least one.. for when i was out and nursing... (goes around...the belly)

:)

Ah man, this is an area I feel very proud of. We are very (VERY) poor students and we have 2 little girls. When we decided to have them and have me stay home with them, we knew we would have to make sacrifices, and we also knew we'd have to think ahead, so here's what we got and how much it cost:

We bought a crib and changing table of a local classifieds website. The crib had no recalls. Together they cost $150 and easily cost $500 when they were bought knew two years previously. I knew we didn't HAVE to have the changing table, but I really wanted one. Plus, the one we got has enough space in it to be both girls' dresser.

I bought a new stroller and infant carseat set on clearance, gender neutral in case I had boys and was still using it. This cost $120. I'm good with the specs of the car seat. I love having a removable one with an infant base. Also, because of the way we are planning on timing our kids, we would need several car seats for different sized babies anyways, so I figured I might as well specialize on this rather than a convertible one-size one I'd have to buy several of. Also the stroller works just fine and I've used it quite a bit. It's started to get a bit ragged and I'd love a new one, but it still functions and it has probably several hundred walking miles on it.

I received a baby bouncer as a gift. Love it, but it's not a necessity.

I have a bumbo seat. Love it, but also not a necessity.

I found a good-as-new excersaucer beside our dumpster. Spent about an hour bleaching the heck out of it. I love it, but it's not necessary.

I was given a swing. I never use it. Definitely wouldn't purchase a high end one.

Bought an Ergo for $130. It was a splurge I wanted and I used some personal birthday money from my mother for it. My daughter isn't large enough for it yet, so the jury is still out on whether it's worth it.

I have a pack 'n play that I earned with credit from sales at my job before my daughter was born (so, free!). Not a necessity, but I totally love it. We've used it so much. My babies sleep in it while they're in our room, and then we use it whenever we travel or go camping.

We don't use a high chair. We use one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Regalo-Diner-Portable-Hook-Chair/dp/B0000A1O7P. It's awesome, was cheap, and doesn't take up our whole dining room.

Clothes and all, we spent about $400 on my daughter for her entire first year. Her second year was even cheaper. We only spent about $100, and most of that was clothes. My next daughter has been cheaper still. We've spent about $50 on her so far. And no one who visits us would know we are able to do it so inexpensively.

You know, now that I think about it, I can't really think of anything that I would get that would have to be super high quality for kids. So long as things aren't expired or recalled, second-hand works for most things. To save money, knowing I'd have several children, I made everything gender neutral. Kids don't use things long enough to make it worth it to have something last. Unless you have a unique lifestyle that necessitates heavy use on an unusual item, I'd say don't bother with the expensive stuff. Heck, I had a friend whose baby slept in a laundry basket for it's first several weeks. It was portable and seemed about as safe as an expensive bassinet/carrier. It doesn't really matter. Babies have survived for a long time without most of that stuff.

As has been noted everyone's experiences vary in what they need.

I do like the front adjusting car seats to the rear adjusting ones if I do an infant car seat. With newbie we are actually just going with a convertible from the start, but that is because of space and I found with DD it worked just as well for me to use a convertible and sling, she hated the infant seat. All car seats pass the same testing, so the most expensive is not always the best, chose one that fits your budget, your needs, and is front adjustable if at all possible, and buy new, this is one thing you don't want to buy used.

I never used a crib, my gorgeous crib was an expensive laundry holder, it isn't even being put together this time. Baby co-sleeps, just makes my life easier. Changing table I found useful for about 2 weeks with DS after my c-section, never used it with DD, donated it so won't be using it with newbie either.

Never used stroller before mine were 12 months or so, so I just got a nice umbrella stroller. I do love my baby carriers, I have a Kangaroo Korners pouch for newborn, 2 Mei Tais for when they get a bit bigger, and 4 different Soft Structured carriers for when I start back carrying around 3 or 4 months. DH and I use them daily with our under 12 month babies, heck I still use my regularly with DD and very rarely with DS. I do go for quality and workman ship on these, but I do like the WAHM verisions better then some of the more well known brands.

Went with a fairly inexpensive pack and play, I do find it useful to put baby down in on rare occasions. I actually am going to grab the one we have at my in-laws for newbie so I can have one in my bedroom and one in the playroom for newbie.

For high chairs, I love the $25 one from IKEA, so easy to clean, baby does need to be able to sit to use it, but since mine don't get solids till 6+ months it hasn't been an issue. It is one piece of molded plastic and so easy to clean!

We love our swing, it kept both DS and DD happy when little, I found I do like the type that has a cradle swing (side to side) rather then just the front to back swing.

DS enjoyed his bouncy chair, until about 4 months, DD never got to use it because DS kept stealing it when she was little, I am not sure if I am going to pull it out for newbie or not.

Really you just need to look at needs, you very rarely need top of the line anything. Figuring out what works for the Mom is the toughest part. I ended up with a ton of extra stuff with DS that I never used, so I gave it to my Mom or my sister or donated it, since it wasn't necessary for us. It really is best to start with the basics, that you think you can't live without and then get other items as you figure out if you need them or not.

I was fortunate that dh has a huge family who purchased all kinds of things for me that were not really necessary but nice to have.

Must haves for us:

Britax car seat

Peg Perego high chair that was adjustable and reclined. Mine liked to fall asleep when they finished eating. Recline and go about my business.

Vibrating bouncy seat. The greatest thing ever. My dd has colic and slept in that thing for a month because it was the only way she would sleep.

Swing. My first loved the swing.

Good Stroller. This is not always expensive is best.

If I had it to do over again I would get a sling of some sort.

My list of baby essentials for a newborn:

Some things for baby to wear

Some kind of sling of baby carrier

Pram if you can't / don't want to babywear all the time

Car seat / capsule if you drive

Cot if you can't / don't want to co-sleep

Diapers (unless you're going to EC full-time)

Most stuff can be gotten cheaply or free. If I had to choose one thing to spend a bit on new, it would be the car seat, cause older ones arent' always as safe.

We get the highest rated car seats for each age.

We don't own a crib or a playpen.

I bought a high chair this last time (never had one before) and I am glad I have it. We use it a lot. But it really isn't a necessity. (Made it through 5 dc without one.)

We did have and use a swing and an infant seat.

We have a Sit - N - Stand stroller. It is our 2nd or 3rd one. We wear those suckers out!! :tongue_smilie:

Cloth dipes, a Moby, some clothing and blankets...

We have been given (twice) a baby bath tub. What a pain! We tried each one a couple of times with the baby when it was given and then put it in the garage. Then dh donated them somewhere...

We bought an expensive stroller 8 years ago, and it's still usable. I bought a $50 one practically new that rides more comfortably. I don't put babies in strollers until older. I'm a slinging mom until they get too heavy. I buy cloth diapers, which can add up, but I can sell them and have sold them, recouping more of my cost than I thought.

No need for a playpen here. Requested and got a nice, Swedish high chair that is going to last through adulthood. It's very adjustable. We're using it for the second time. I wish I had used it for ds. Had to throw out his plastic piece of junk one.

I got the swing and everything else as gifts. Even cloth diapers are something my mom and ILs sprang for.

This time I want an Ergo baby carrier. Everyone I know raves about it and it seems sooo comfortable.

We have been given (twice) a baby bath tub. What a pain! We tried each one a couple of times with the baby when it was given and then put it in the garage. Then dh donated them somewhere...

Hardly ever used a baby tub for baby baths, but they make a great toy when baby is older.

Carseats are worth paying top dollar for. You don't actually NEED any of the other stuff listed in your original post.

That said, Baby #2 is starting out in a hand-me-down infant seat from his cousin. And when I buy a convertible seat for him, I'll probably get DD a new booster at the same time (she's in a FF harness/booster convertible now and is rapidly getting too tall for it, though she's still only @ 40 lbs.), so we'll probably go with the best I can swing at Walmart, rather than anything higher-end (much as I'd LOVE to just get a Britax convertible and be done with it until the seat expires w/out worry he'll outgrow it).

IMHO babies need:

*food (I nursed exclusively until 6+months, cheap & easy ;))

*diapers / nappies of some sort (I used cloth. Go for the easy to use variety. If it's easy even Dad will change the nappies. I found cloth heaps better than disposable, even at night.)

* a place to sleep (we never had a crib, we used a Graco Pack n'Play for all 3 dc)

* a way to carry the babe when out & about. What you need depends on your lifestyle. With dd I used a lavalava I tied into a sling until she was about 6 months, then I used a carrier called "Sara's Ride." With ds#1 I used a backpack a lot. Ds#2 seemed to live in our MacLaren stroller. With dd & ds#1 we lived in the islands & I used buses a lot. With ds#2 we lived in NZ & I didn't drive, so we walked everywhere. My sister used her carseat mostly as she drove everywhere. We had & used carseats, but not as much as most do.

High chairs aren't important IMHO until 6-8 months old. Choose an easy to clean chair.

Some favorite baby things I discovered along the way include:

**a carseat / stroller pad with zip off cover (great for cool weather walks)

**a european-style baby sleeping bag (great for babes who kick off their blankets)

**a tie-on cloth "highchair" that turns any chair into a baby seat. I kept one in my diaper bag & used it heaps.

**a baby sheepskin (a NZ necessity :))

**cloth breast pads

You can go crazy when buying all that cute baby gear, but you don't really need much.

Blessings,

I'd spend money on a carseat (do some research about safety of the models available in your area). As we travelled a lot and didn't have a car, a high-quality, robust stroller was important to us - we always had McLarens.

When it came to a high chair, it was worth it to buy a Tripp-Trapp chair. It converts from a high chair to an adjustable seat which is perfect for allowing small children to eat/work at a normal table. We still use ours today.

For pretty much everything else we bought cheap/second hand and had no regrets.

Laura

I have a one year old so this is fresh in my mind....

- skip the bassinet (we co-sleep)

- skip the crib (see above)

- skip the playpen (all 3 of my kids hated it)

- skip the swing

- skip the changing table (we change the baby wherever we happen to be)

- skip the diaper genie (what a waste of money)

- skip the bottle sanitizer

- baby food grinder (use your food processor or a blender)

MUST haves for my 3 kids...

- bouncy seat

- good stroller

- good car seat

- good diaper bag

- wipe warmer

All new carseats sold in the U.S. are safe. They all meet or exceed safety standards. The ratings you find for infant seats are not for safety they are for style and ease of use - installing in vehicle and putting child in and out of the seat. If you are fashion conscience you will pay more for style. If you don't care - buy a discontinued style in February or September.

cribs - This is a matter of preference. Those that convert into beds cost more. A used crib works just as well. Buy a new mattress.

strollers - test drive a few. She may want more than one depending on how she plans to use the stroller. A cheap umbrella stroller works well for shopping malls. A jogger or other large wheeled stroller is better for outdoor use.

car seats (infant kind) - I found this to be a waste of money. The thing weighs ten pounds without the baby. For first child, the seat stayed in the car and I carried just him. For second child, we went with a convertible from the start.

play pens - depends on your lifestyle. My babies did just fine on a mat on the floor. We did use the bassinet part as a changing table for the first 6 months or so. Otherwise, it was a convenient place to park diapers, clothing, and items we did not want the baby/toddler to get into.

I had a co-sleeper for my second child. It could attach to the side of my bed, or with the side up was a bassinet. I loved it. The baby was near me, but in no danger of being rolled on by big brother.

swings - baby 1 loved it, baby 2 hated it. It did allow me to take a shower.

high chairs - never owned one. When babies could sit on their own, they sat in a seat that strapped to a dining chair. By age 2, sat on a chair without booster.

Here's my 2 cents:

Crib-need, or a good solid alternative that is safe

Stroller-yup-they are very useful if you are out and about, skip the whole travel system idea and find the best stroller for your budget and needs (I never had the back strength to carry my babies for too long-even wrapped or in carriers but I did have one and it was helpful for grocery shopping and the like.)

Carseat-do the research, check consumer reports, find a good one and keep saving they need new models as they grow. Much will depend on the size of your baby. Small babies often need the infant model, larger babies can use the next step up in the reversed position

Changing table-really all you need is a mat that can be easily wiped or cleaned. A special table or pad isn't necessary. Alternatively, you could have a dresser and buy the pad that attaches to the dresser (much cheaper than a dedicated piece of furniture).

Diaper bag- Skip cutesy and go for something you want to be seen with. Go for something you can use after baby is out of diapers. Backpack, tote bag etc. If you have the funds I love LLBean and Land's End. The bags are waterproof, have changing pads, look like an adult carries them, Dad won't be embarrassed to hold it and you can use later for other things. You may want a small bag for short trips or end up using just a large purse. Start middle of the road.

Blanket-have a good blanket for extra warmth, for playing on the floor, etc.

Clothing-I'm a natural fibers only kind of gal. They don't need much, it depends on how often you do laundry. I'd have 1-2 outfits more than you think you need (even if they are just onesies) for emergency messes. Oh-and my kids never wore undershirts-maybe it was where we lived but I never used them and they were all fine. Second hand is great! From thirft store to ebay to the growing number of second hand sales events and consignors.

Each of my kids liked something different in the way of bouncy seat or swing. I'd wait to buy this and see if it is needed first. It is important to note recent research that shows babies shouldn't be left to sleep in car seats or to have them substitute for other ways of laying down-seems it can be dangerous.

I found wipe warmers, monitors and tons of the other stuff to be useless. I'd rather have upgraded the important items than had this.

Edited by JumpedIntoTheDeepEndFirst

Car seat. Usually one of the cheapest.

Stroller. The stroller I currently have is my absolute favorite and they don't make it or anything like it any more. After nearly 14 years it probably isn't going to make it baby number 10. :(

ikea high chair beats all other hands down for ease of use, price, and durability. We were going through high chairs, expensive ones too, at a ridiculous rate until I was blessed with that one.

A few nice blankets of various density.

A ton of baby gowns and onesies.

A very few nicer outfits for outings.

Diapers of choice. Wipes of choice. (clothe or disposable)

I have a crib, but we haven't even bothered to set it up in over 6 years. And it was only lightly used even before then. I have a pack and play that has been used all of maybe 4 times.

I used to have a baby swing, but it didn't get used much or for long. I passed it on to another mom many years ago. I think I have a bouncy seat. Somewhere. Those are nice when you have a reflux baby you can't lay flat but don't want to use a clunky heavy carseat.