Menu

Husband said freezer full of dinners for FIL was cheesy Xmas gift. What say you?

So my FIL is 69. After years of taking care of crazy MIL (nice crazy, but still crazy before other issues did her in) he's on his own. He still works. He's commented about how, now that he's got all this extra time, he's so busy with things that he doesn't have time to cook.

In the past I've done the 'cook for a day eat for month thing'. When we moved back here, near FIL, and after his comments on 'no time for dinner' I said something about the 'cook for a day' thing. I've even gone through my cookbook with FIL to pick out things he can eat (he's got diverticulitis) to someday, maybe, make for him if I actually do a big cook like that again. Which to this point, I haven't done.

Now we are talking christmas gifts. The last thing FIL needs is more 'stuff' (aka crap). Plus I'm tired of buying thing people just don't need. So I suggested for christmas to make a number of dinners in single servings so FIL can just pull one out of the freezer, thaw it durning the day and then have something to make for dinner that night.

My husband, who was on the phone, says "Oh that's cheesy! You can't give him a bunch of food for dinner!" And then they were boarding his plane so he couldn't talk anymore.

So? Is it cheesy? Would it be an okay christmas gift for a 69yo single guy? Would you do? Or just get another piece of plastic thing?

I think it's a brilliant idea, and the best possible kind of Christmas present — something made by hand, with love, that the recipient really needs and will use. What could be a better present than that??? :confused:

If your DH really doesn't think it's enough of a "gift," give the meals to your FIL from you, and let DH pick out an ugly tie or singing fish or some other pointless piece of junk to give his dad himself. :tongue_smilie:

Jackie

It's a fabulous idea! I'd welcome a gift like that. If he's the sort of guy that's spent years taking care of someone else (as you suggest) then having someone else take care of him in such a thoughtful way would surely be very appreciated. Anyone can rush out to the store and spend money - you're putting real thought and effort into a gift that will work for him.

Edited to add: What I see from the responses is that people who actually have to cook for themselves think it's a fantastic gift, versus your hubby, who has (I presume!) has someone doing the cooking for him...

Nikki

Edited by nd293

When you stop and think about it, how different is that than giving someone a gift certificate to Panera's, McDonald's, or Applebee's? I'd rather have the freezer full of meals. They're probably more healthy, I don't have to get cleaned up to enjoy them, and I get alot more for my money!

Guest Dulcimeramy

Your dh is so wrong! This is perfect. Buy a wide red ribbon to wrap around the deep freeze, put a tray with something festive to eat and drink on top of the deep freeze, and the whole thing will be plenty Christmas-y.

What a loving, thoughtful gift.

I think it's a brilliant idea, and the best possible kind of Christmas present — something made by hand, with love, that the recipient really needs and will use. What could be a better present than that??? :confused:

If your DH really doesn't think it's enough of a "gift," give the meals to your FIL from you, and let DH pick out an ugly tie or singing fish or some other pointless piece of junk to give his dad himself. :tongue_smilie:

Jackie

Exactly! I'd prefer home cooked meals any day over the ready-made junk from the grocery store.

My concern would be that your dh knows your FIL better than you do... So I'd consider whether it's possible that, despite the fact that so many of us here think that this would be a lovely and thoughtful gift, your FIL might indeed think it was "cheesy". ... Or maybe your husband is just being a goof. ;) Perhaps there's some sort of way to do this for him but also put in some small gift item that would make it seem less "cheesy" to your husband. A month of dinners *and* some small item, perhaps even something thematic that helps tie it all together?

*I* think the gift idea is lovely. But you aren't giving it to me. ;) So the question isn't "Do you (random WTM-er) think this gift is good/bad?" but "Would FIL think this gift is good or bad?" ... And I'd tend to defer to your dh on that.

Thanks everyone. Considering I do all the cooking, I too would love it. And I did love it when I got food put in my fridge when I had a baby.

And no, husband does not cook. Of course he doesn't really christmas shop either.

My father would love it!! He lives on TV dinners, and loves it when he can eat something else.

See I'm begining to think he and I are having a communication problem on this. I'm beinging to think he's envsioning gift wrapped Hungry Man dinners like in "Better Off Dead" with John Cusack! LOL!

You've already gone through your cookbook with FIL, so I'm guessing if he had a problem with you making them for him, he would have said something. As far it being an X-mas gift, how many things does the man that age need? And it is less cheesy than gift cards. (Not to mention they might not get used, and you know that freezer full of dinners would!) Gosh, I think I want that for X-mas!

Cheesy would be some nicknack I don't need.

I bet he'd adore it. And I'd also bet that after your dh has thought about it a while, pondered what to get him instead, he will think better of the idea after all. It's home-made. Something he can use. Something to keep him healthy and well loved for a long time. I don't get what's not to like.

And BTW, thanks for the idea for my MIL!!! She can't cook much for herself any more and I think would love it!

I have given this gift to several people in the past, and it was always enthusiastically received. Each of the people for whom I have done this have also enthusiastically thanked me more than once after the fact as well. I think it's a great gift and far more practical than some trinket he does not need or want.

I think it's a perfect gift!

If your DH wants to buy a more traditional gift for his dad, he could do that as well, but I think your FIL will appreciate your gift every single day. (And if he really loves it, you could do the same thing for his birthday and other holidays.)

An added bonus would also be that you'd know your FIL was eating well for at least one meal a day. Many people who live alone, tend not to cook for themselves, or start eating a lot of tv dinner-type meals. It's a nuisance to get out a bunch of pots and pans to cook a complete dinner when you're the only one there to eat it. It's also a pain to shop for the groceries, so you'd be doing your FIL such an incredible service.

Cat

Thanks everyone. Considering I do all the cooking, I too would love it. And I did love it when I got food put in my fridge when I had a baby.

And no, husband does not cook. Of course he doesn't really christmas shop either.

See I'm begining to think he and I are having a communication problem on this. I'm beinging to think he's envsioning gift wrapped Hungry Man dinners like in "Better Off Dead" with John Cusack! LOL!

The first year we were married, I listed several things we could get for Dh's parents. He vetoed all of them. I said, "Okay, let's go shopping." We walked the entire mall, and he couldn't come up with one gift idea. Christams was my responsibility for the next 7 years.

I think the meals sound wonderful. Your Dh will probably think so, too, once he has thought about it. Maybe you could get him a nice microwavable container for heating things up as a wrapable gift.

ETA: And think of the money you'd be saving him if he has been eating fastfood/frozen dinners. He could buy himself any number of "things" with the money he'd save.

Edited by Meriwether

Does your husband cook? If yes...then I wonder why he said that.

If no, then I understand why he said that! He doesn't have a clue the effort that goes into cooking.

To illustrate my point:

DH and I went on a diet. For the duration of the diet (11 days), we were each eating different foods at different times. DH had to cook all his own meals for 11 days.

About 4 days into it, he was working at the kitchen counter and sort of slumped over and looked over his shoulder at me and said, "Cooking all this food is HARD!" (And he was only cooking for himself. Not for the kids as well.)

GIVE YOUR FIL THE FOOD!!!!

How many containers would you use? Do you have one of those machines that sucks the air out of bags so that food can last in the freezer for years?

How long would the food last before it gets freezer burn, unless you have one of those machines?

My dh wanted to know how much food it would mean. Would his entire Christmas gift only last a month? (30 little plastic containers.)

DH thinks it might be a better idea to do it like a "chocolate of the month" club, where at the beginning of each month you deliver a set amount of meals. (instead of showing up on Christmas morning with heaps of plastic single-serve containers.) Maybe he could get a card explaining the gift and one week worth of food on Christmas day.

ETA: Dh says he understands it being "cheesy." In certain families (like my dh's) Christmas presents are NOT about being practical. It's about spoiling someone with something frivolous (or expensive.) So, the food might be too practical and not "special" enough.

I was NOT raised this way and I LOVE practical gifts. This is tricky. You'll have to see what type of gifts FIL likes to get. Practical or frivolous.

Edited by Garga

I would think about mixing it up a bit - rather than just dinners, maybe some dinners, some breakfast-y things, and some "extras" like muffins or mini-pies or whatever works for his diet and his taste. That way there will be some variety, and he can mix-and-match frozen vs. other meals depending on what he has planned for the day.

I do agree with the pp who said that when your dh gets back you should probe a bit more about where his response was coming from. You want to be sure, after going to all that effort, that the items will actually be used.

Wonderful idea. I mean, the man has specifically mentioned not having enough time to cook; he's going to appreciate it! Of course, that's assuming you're a decent cook ;)

I'm with the crew that says give it to him from you, and let your dh find another gift if he so chooses.

My dh used to be kinda weird about that stuff also, very discouraging about any gifts I picked out for his family (who are affluent and refined and all those things that I'm not, lol, he was really worried about me giving cheesy gifts, I guess, and/or 'weird' ones). It was a viewpoint that hurt my feelings, and truthfully it still does. I might be poor and southern, but it's not like I'm going to gift wrap a freakin' possum or something.

Still, I deferred to him as knowing them better at first, but finally I said, y'know what? I put a lot of thought into my gifts, I give them with love, and, just because it's your family, you don't get to decide on what gifts I give them. If I have something I want to give them, b/c I think they'll love it, I'm going to do that, and you can get the high-class, proof-that-we're-not-rednecks gift :rolleyes:

Of course, he's a typical enough guy that he very rarely bought another gift, because even mindless giving requires SOME shopping.

It's an awesome idea and has so many benefits. First, at that age my parents were always saying, "We're trying to get rid of things, not add more." Secondly, nutrition is so important. I know you want him to stay healthy and sharp. To do that he has to eat right and having home cooked meals in the freezer is so much better than any of the alternatives. Third, what means more than something someone spent TIME on just for you?

Wonderful idea. I mean, the man has specifically mentioned not having enough time to cook; he's going to appreciate it! Of course, that's assuming you're a decent cook ;)

I'm with the crew that says give it to him from you, and let your dh find another gift if he so chooses.

My dh used to be kinda weird about that stuff also, very discouraging about any gifts I picked out for his family (who are affluent and refined and all those things that I'm not, lol, he was really worried about me giving cheesy gifts, I guess, and/or 'weird' ones). It was a viewpoint that hurt my feelings, and truthfully it still does. I might be poor and southern, but it's not like I'm going to gift wrap a freakin' possum or something.

Still, I deferred to him as knowing them better at first, but finally I said, y'know what? I put a lot of thought into my gifts, I give them with love, and, just because it's your family, you don't get to decide on what gifts I give them. If I have something I want to give them, b/c I think they'll love it, I'm going to do that, and you can get the high-class, proof-that-we're-not-rednecks gift :rolleyes:

Of course, he's a typical enough guy that he very rarely bought another gift, because even mindless giving requires SOME shopping.

I want to live next door to you!

Terri