Menu

I was just told by a math teacher

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Group math experience? I am very confused. Perhaps my own work experience doesn't qualify me to understand a "real math environment" but I don't see how my public school math education involved much "group math experience."

I think your math teacher doesn't like homeschooling. What they said just doesn't make any sense to me at all.

that my son won't be able to function in a real math environment (ie a job) because he doesn't have group experience with math.

How hard is it to learn to copy someone's paper? That's what happens in our "group math." One or two kids learn how to do something and everyone else in the group copies it down...

For what it's worth, I've yet to see that come in useful for my job - or hubby's and we both use plenty of math.

If you really want your child to have group math experience, try to find some math activities.

Otherwise, don't worry about it. I think it would be nice for my kids to have experience with group problem solving; with motivated group members, it is a beneficial experience.

I seriously just lol'd.

I worked in the CAD/automotive enigineering field in my life-before-kids, and my dh is a computer programmer in the same field.

I don't recall EVER solving a math problem as a group. How silly. I'd venture to say my dh hasn't, either.

You either know how to do the math, or you know how to ask someone with help to figure it out. I'm guessing your son can do both just fine.

Maybe this math teacher had confused the recent findings that indicate group study enhances math performance, specifically in Asian countries, with the idea that we need "group" math to be able to function in a work environment. Perhaps two studies came out, and in our brilliant American mind, we fused the two?

She was explicitly referring to Everyday Math.

Ooh. I just had a chance to look at an Everyday Math teacher's book. It was scary. Calculators for first graders as an integral part of the curriculum? And apparently they mention things once and just move on:confused: I mean, I get that it had some elements that were better than just rote, chug and plug, but good grief. I'm so glad we're doing something completely different.

Dh is an actuary and also has FSA certification. His jobs are almost entirely math and statistics focused. Group math is not something he ever does. It's true that he and his coworkers will check each others' final work, and it's true that they might collaborate on projects by each taking a chunk of the work, but they do not work through the math itself together.

I about spit out my coffee when I read the OP.

Yes, I think it's about EM.

What boggles my mind is that anyone could actually believe that, let alone a math teacher.

Moreover, as much as I have no respect for EM whatsoever (and would afterschool or homeschool rather than have my kids do EM), my understanding was that the group component was about "discovering" ways to get to the solution rather than about collective/group action/thinking in and of itself. In other words, I think the fact that kids are in groups has little to do with the underlying process of discovery behind EM (other than to "discover" the answer faster; LOL, copying from the student next to you indeed).

that my son won't be able to function in a real math environment (ie a job) because he doesn't have group experience with math.

:blink: Ummm..... ok?

When dh was in the Navy, they often had to calculate nuclear stuff (can't remember the exact term). It was always one person doing the calculations alone. Someone else may have checked, but it wasn't some group thing. I cannot think of any situation where people are actually doing calculations in group settings.

Did they say that with a straight face? I sure wouldn't have been able to keep one after hearing that!!! :lol: I would have said something about how they're not only missing out on group math, but spelling bees. Don't they usually have one of those after the morning coffee break at work? Oh and group penmanship too?

We've found some teachers to be the most strongly opposed to homeschooling. Some others are supportive, or even homeschooling their own children. :)

How hard is it to learn to copy someone's paper? That's what happens in our "group math." One or two kids learn how to do something and everyone else in the group copies it down...

My thoughts exactly... my nephew finished Saxon Math 2 last year at home and started 1st grade in PS (with Everyday Math)- he has "learned" to copy the kid next to him- erasing his CORRECT work to copy the wrong answers...

'group math experience' :lol: Thanks for the laugh!

Group math experience, where one student does all the work and the rest of the students just wait and write down the answer. Yeah, I think we all need that experience, at least once, to be able to function in the real world.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Hmmmm....back when I worked in an office, one of my colleagues was a man from China with a PhD in math or stats. We would frequently consult with each other and have discussions about our work. I loved working with him because he had so many ideas and much knowledge to share, and was interested in other's ideas about different strategies to use, what would be most efficient, etc. When I read Liping Ma's book about the teacher's meeting and learning I was reminded of this man.

Probably that's not what the OP was about though.

After I laughed out loud and snorted, this was my second thought. However, after reading Ma's book, I sincerely doubt the same thing is going on in the OP's situation. I get the feeling that in the vast majority of American schools (especially elementary), group math is basically a situation of the blind leading the blind.

Wow--the kids I knew who excelled in math weren't exactly....how should I say this...the type to welcome group situations. Myself included. :P

Heh. Good point.

I'm just thinking of how my son's math team coach ran practices. Not a lot of collaboration. Even when the kids practiced for the "team" section of a competition, the coach had them work problems individually then compare answers. And typically, as Tress pointed out, in the case of disagreement the kids just deferred to whoever was strongest at that type of math.

Group learning is a big trend in public school. My dh teaches world history in ps. He isn't supposed to "just lecture", use too many worksheets, or have them read the textbook too much. I guess he should use mental telephathy? They have to teach the standards and have them posted in the room daily.

What they want are elaborate power point presentations (just a fancy overhead if you ask me) and group projects where kids are coming together to collaborate. We all know how that goes. The smartest, hardest working kid(s) in the group do all the work and others just sit there.

I'm all for trying different methods. With 35 kids in some of his classes, different methods will appeal to somebody. I just wish some sanity would come back to public education.

I think it would be nice for my kids to have experience with group problem solving; with motivated group members, it is a beneficial experience.

:iagree:

I remember vividly one math exercice we had to work on in university, that took about 10 students to solve, and the whole thing ended up being 16 pages long.

(now I have no clue what it was we were supposed to solve, but I remember the group effort it took!)

That said, we had no group experience in school; it was fashionable when we were youngster, and we still managed to solve that differential equation.

Dh is a physicist and he has never done math in a group if you mean everyone sit around and throw out possible answers. He has done math alone that belonged in a group project and he has either helped someone with math or asked for some help with math but no group math.

One big reason I homeschool is so my kids don't have to go through the tortures of group projects. They have all worked on projects in groups but those were voluntary projects that only willing participants helped. That is different. Throwing together mostly unwilling participants plus one diligent participant ensures that all the work is done by the diligent student. Such activities as Odyssey of the Mind, being on a debate team, or being in Boy Scouts and helping in Eagle Projects all are examples of willing group work. ALso, all of my children were in choirs and sports teams, again willing group work.

Not entirely off topic:

I have a friend who is a public high school math teacher. She said her classroom theme for the year is: "Social Justice."

No kidding.

This was imposed on her, not her choice. She would have chosen something that mentioned working hard, attention to detail, or something about MATH perhaps!

For what it's worth, I've yet to see that come in useful for my job - or hubby's and we both use plenty of math.

:iagree: I was a kid who did the work, and other kids copied my paper. Fun times...really useful...

She might partially be onto something there. If he's ever working as a cashier and the register goes down, this means he'll be able to calculate change without the help of a group. ;)

I pulled mine out after 5th and it took us until 10th. Ug.

Group math can be fully experienced when they get together with friends to do their homework together in college. I do think there is such a thing as group math, having experienced it under those circumstances, but I also think it isn't anything that can't be learned by group something else, like making and eating family meals together. I wouldn't worry about it. I would be much more worried about the Everyday Math part... Flee. Flee.

-Nan

my dh (math-head to the extreme) would bust a gut laughing at that !!!

He's an engineer and uses big time math EVERY DAY! Nobody ever holds his hand and helps him with it, he would tell them to get lost if they even wanted to watch over his shoulder!

Yes, but does he use Everyday Math?! If not, and if not in a group situation, then he is DOING IT WRONG and will never make it in a public school! :lol: