Menu

Are our eating habits that abnormal?

I thought my family was fairly typical for our eating habits but yesterday I had two separate incidents that made me wonder if we are abnormal.

First, I was at our friend's house getting a spare key because the kids and I will be staying with them for 3-5 days as DH finishes our flooring project. One thing that struck me as interesting was when she asked about snacks for the kids. We really don't have snacks in the house. I've found that when I have them in the house, my kids fill up on junk food between meals. If they are healthy snacks, they don't touch them. So, I just don't stock my kitchen with snacks. She made a few suggestions and all I could say was that I that we don't usually eat that but I think my kids would like them. I wonder if she thinks I starve my kids because, apparently, hers snack all the time. LOL

Do most kids snack? We just eat our three basic meals. Occasionally, my kids will eat a granola bar or Annie's bunnies but it isn't typical.

Then we ran into an old friend that we haven't seen in 5 years. He was resorting to Costco's food court for dinner while his wife was out of town so we invited him over the next night (last night). I made chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, canned corn, and frozen peas. I had water, juice, and milk available for drinks. When he arrived and saw dinner, he said we didn't have to go all out on dinner just for him. He seemed to think I went through a lot of trouble to make this elaborate meal and I tried to reassure him that it wasn't a big deal; this was pretty standard fare. He mentioned a couple of times that they usually eat simple meals at home. Um...I was worried that the meal I chose was going to be too simple for a guest. So, if what I made wasn't a simple meal, what is?

We do snack. We eat at odd times, so sometimes snacking is necessary.

Your friend probably eats processed foods and thinks a "home-cooked" meal like chicken-fried steak is labor-intensive. I'm making pork piallards tonight, which sounds difficult, but is really super easy. :)

I don't think the meal was elaborate. Seems pretty standard to me. As for snacking, we do have snacks, but mostly stuff like fruit (whole fruit, not canned or fruit snacks), rice cakes (which for some reason Indy is obsessed with), pretzels and yogurt. I don't let him have them all the time, just mid-afternoon. He goes outside most afternoons and he gets hungry from all the running around and playing. During school I'll let him have an apple or pretzels mid-morning, just to help keep him focused. If he's hungry he doesn't focus.

I don't usually offer snacks if we are home and meals will be on time. If we are out I always pack snacks because you just never know....and my kids are little. But I think we are exceptions not the rule in this.

I think many people don't cook much anymore and even a very simple family meal seems like a lot of work to them because they are used to putting something in the microwave!

I wouldn't consider what you made fancy. I remember though that the first time I cooked for dh, I made mashed potatoes and he was somewhat floored that I actually peeled and cooked potatoes to make them. I also make lasagna pretty regularly and I have had comments from others that lasagna is only for special occasions in their homes. I just think some people are not used to actual homecooked complete meals on a regular basis.

Then we ran into an old friend that we haven't seen in 5 years. He was resorting to Costco's food court for dinner while his wife was out of town so we invited him over the next night (last night). I made chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, canned corn, and frozen peas. I had water, juice, and milk available for drinks. When he arrived and saw dinner, he said we didn't have to go all out on dinner just for him. He seemed to think I went through a lot of trouble to make this elaborate meal and I tried to reassure him that it wasn't a big deal; this was pretty standard fare. He mentioned a couple of times that they usually eat simple meals at home. Um...I was worried that the meal I chose was going to be too simple for a guest. So, if what I made wasn't a simple meal, what is?

We do snack but only on healthy things (fruit mostly) and eat dinners like this all the time. (one reason we snack is that dh gets home late and from noon till 7 is a LONG time to wait till dinner.)

My kids just recently started to get a scheduled afternoon snack. The younger 3 stopped napping for the most part, so the afternoon has more energy spent. They also have to wait for a later dinner time care of DD's summer gymnastics schedule. I try to keep the snacks semi healthy.

As for your dinner, it sounds pretty normal around here. The chicken fried steak and homemade mashed potatoes are probably why he thought you went to too much trouble. He could have also just been being polite.

We sometimes do snacks in the afternoon, but not always. Usually just if the kids ask for something, I hunt something down for them. I don't necessarily keep snacks.

Chicken-fried steak is a little labor-intensive for me. I make it, but not often. We eat very healthfully but usually the meals don't take very long to make. Tonight, for example, I'm making curry, which is a one-skillet dish. Last night we had hamburgers, and the night before was spaghetti and meat sauce with salad.

Yes.

:)

I think everyone's eating habits seem abnormal to someone. When I visit my brother, the first thing I do is go to the grocery store. He does the same thing. We both have healthy kids.

I try to juggle the food for a family of 6 with a mixture of 1 diabetic, 2 hypoglycemics, 1 dairy allergy, 1 shellfish allergy, 1 who is allergic to wheat, corn, tree nuts, and soy, 1 that won't eat chicken, 1 that won't eat beef or anything with brown eyes, 1 that won't eat bell peppers or zuchinni.... You get the idea? My sister is always shocked that I am able to make a meal every day that everyone eats. It is normal for me, but you should see the looks her kids give me when I try to feed them. They are pretty sure my food is toxic.

We generally have a meat, a side dish, and a vegetable at dinner, sometimes two vegetables, so that dinner seems pretty standard to me!

We do have snacks though. Fruit, string cheese, yogurt are all common snacks, plus we have a snack bowl with the junk in it that DD is allowed to pick out of once or twice a day. (These are mini-size snacks, like one hershey's kiss, or a pack of fun size m&ms, stuff like that).

But I wouldn't find anything abnormal about your eating habits!

My kids usually have an afternoon snack and will often have a mid-morning snack as well (depends on how big a breakfast they ate). But it's relatively healthy stuff- produce, string cheese, a small dish of plain Greek yogurt with a dab of honey or pure maple syrup, etc. Occasionally we'll have something like Annie's Organic Cheddar Bunnies or Veggie Booty.

The dinner you described doesn't sound unusual in the number of dishes but it's not one I'd personally serve as I'm on South Beach. Last night, we had lemon-garlic baked chicken breast, steamed broccoli & cauliflower, and brown rice. So it's a similar "format" (meat, 2 kinds of veggies, and a starch).

Our snackage depends on how well they eat meals. If the 5yo can not eat dinner and fill up on everything else during the day--he will. If good meals are eaten well then snacks are alright.

Dinner: DH is never home and am tired of fighting a 5yo--well anything goes. Last night--frozen pizza Now: making homemade Laz for tonight and bf stroganoff for the freezer.

Lara

I keep snacks in the house in case we need them, but we don't often snack. It includes: pretzel sticks, home made crackers, cheese, fruit, popcorn and nuts. No junk.

We drink water or milk. Mostly water. Sometimes tea.

I cook dinner pretty much every night. There's usually a meat, a starch (potatoes, rice, pasta), and a vegetable or salad and sometimes homemade bread.

It is perfectly normal for us to have lasagna, shepherd's pie, baked ziti, stuffed shells, tacos, enchiladas, or one of a variety of chicken based meals (sweet and sour, garlic-lime, honey-ginger, stir-fry) for dinner. All homemade.

I never thought anything of how we eat, until I found out that many other families consider hot dogs, sandwiches and take-out to be a normal week night dinner.

The meal doesn't sound overly fancy (although I don't make mashed potatoes VERY often because it's a bit time-consuming).

We definitely snack here, my kids usually get 3 meals a day and 3 snacks a day, a morning snack, an afternoon snack, and a dessert, on average.

We snack but it's because of the odd times that we eat. DS eats breakfast before 7. Then we all eat lunch at 11. Then dinner isn't for 6-7 hours. So we do have an afternoon snack, but it's small. 2 grahm crackers, a handful of Annie's bunnies, 10 saltines. That kind of small. They are allowed fruit and veggies any time they want them. But they never go for that.

The dinner sounds like simple. Its something I might serve when our friends come over, if I knew how to make it. :tongue_smilie: I was thinking the breading and frying are what threw him until I read what someone else said - processed food might be the norm for him. Oh and 2 veggies. That's a lot! :lol:

Most of our meals are one item -- A Pasta with meat added in dish. Or hot dogs and applesauce. Or Rice casserole. Tuna Mac. Etc. only on weekends do we do much cooking at all. We warm up as much as possible during the week. or make simple stuff -- Sandwiches and such.

So yeah, that sounds very fancy to me.

We snack. My kids (skinny by the way) are grazers and still eat well at mealtimes.

I think the whole "You didn't need to go all out!" kind of comment is some people's way of paying a compliment and/or letting you know they appreciate your inviting them. Of course, maybe for him it was all out.

Everything I've ever read on weight says that we are better off eating mini-meals rather than eating 3 large meals, so, we tend to eat a bit differently than you, too :D

Breakfast: whole-grain cereal, or eggs and whole grain toast

Mini meal or snack: yogurt and cheese and fruit

Lunch: sandwiches with lean meat or salads with lean meat or grilled fish

Mini meal or snack: salad, yogurt, lean protein, peanut butter and celery fruit etc

Dinner: Whatever---not always very healthy :lol:

We have snacks.

I keep fruit, cheese, crackers (healthy whole grain kinds),yogurt, sandwich stuff and if there is leftover soup in the fridge that is allowed.

I don't really buy chips or things like that unless there is a specific plan involving the chips. "Oh we have people coming over for burgers. I can make baked beans, potato salad and maybe I will get a bag of chips." If I do buy chips we eat them and that is not good for me. :lol:

The meal sounds like standard fare to me. I usually cook a main dish and one or two sides

Edited by Sis

We are snackers, and it probably does cut into how much my dd eats at meals a bit, but not much. I have a feeling that fewer and fewer families eat "normal" meals anymore. Many families have meals that come out of a box and go in the microwave. Then again, what I consider a "normal" meal would never have qualified as a full dinner when I was growing up. We used to ask why we couldn't have franks 'n beans for dinner like the other kids did. We were so deprived. :lol:

dd snacks at least once more days than not. Depending what time she gets up she may have a morning snack; either before or after breakfast. Like if she gets up at 630-7 she will have just a very small breakfast--think a banana. This means she'll get a snack around 830-9. If she wakes up around 730-830 she has a bigger breakfast and no snack.

We eat lunch between 11 and 12 and depending on what time her nap is she will get a snack. If she goes down at 1230/1 and sleeps for an hour she will get something small when she gets up. If she naps later like 130/2 for an hour she won't have a snack since we eat dinner early...430 and/or after

When my dh is home, our meals typically consist of protein, noodles/potato/rice, a vegetable and salad.

So your meal seems normal to me!

Of course, when my dh was gone, meals look MUCH different!!! :)

Anne

When my dh is home, our meals typically consist of protein, noodles/potato/rice, a vegetable and salad.

So your meal seems normal to me!

Of course, when my dh was gone, meals look MUCH different!!! :)

Anne

Oh if my dh isn't here the meals are a lot cheaper. :lol: It is more pasta, beans and salad-as-a-meal

My kids are big snackers but are thin and eat well at meals so I don't worry about it. A typical dinner is a protein/starch/veg/fruit and probably dessert. My kids snack in the morning, afternoon and after dinner. It's usually cheese or peanut butter with crackers or bread, toast, fruit, nuts, popcorn, veggie sticks&hummus. I usually buy something special for the weekend like ice cream, chips or something.

My kids eat snacks - the oldest one (and the second is not far behind) is like a bottomless pit. Snacks: apple, cheese stick, Cheerios. He always finishes all his meals, too. I don't know how he'd get by on just meals, he is always hungry. He eats a pretty big plate of food, too. Tonight: chicken, couscous, sweet potato, watermelon, lettuce. All PLAIN with not a thing on them, not even salt! It does bug me that my kids don't like sauces and such.

Sounds exactly like our family. Not a lot of snacks (when they go to grandma's they eat ALL DAY and come home sick :glare:) and your dinner sounds pretty typical. I don't think my kids are starving. We eat pretty good for the three meals we eat. Sometimes we will have some crackers or fruit or something but nothing major.

A typical day for us is:

Breakfast: 2 pancakes about 5 inches in diameter w/juice or milk, sometimes with a fried egg

Lunch: A turkey and cheese sandwich. Depending on the person it may have tomatoes, pickles, and/or lettuce on it. If we have any, I might cut up a piece or two of fruit to share or add some chips.

Dinner: Well, you've already seen our dinner.

If the kids are hungry in between meals, they can find something. Usually, they'll eat a granola bar or a individual-size bag of Annie's bunnies or a piece of fruit. It's not often that they ask for something, though.

We're snackers here... breakfast is usually cereal or a bagel and juice, fruit if you want it. Lunch a sandwich or soup, again, fruit is always available. Dinner is a bigger meal but not usually huge. A meat or casserole, bread, one side (pasta/rice/potatos) and vegie/salad/fruit. For snacks, I keep string cheese, yogurt, pretzels and snack crackers/cookies around. My boys eat a lot but are not overweight. At their ages (18 and 20), I'm not about to tell them if they should or shouldn't snack between meals. I would say I really haven't monitored snacking since they were about 10. If I'm hungry, I'm going to eat, and they should be able to do so too.

Edited by CathieC
added info

We snack. My kids (skinny by the way) are grazers and still eat well at mealtimes.

I think the whole "You didn't need to go all out!" kind of comment is some people's way of paying a compliment and/or letting you know they appreciate your inviting them. Of course, maybe for him it was all out.

:iagree: Your meal sounds like ours. In the summer we eater lighter dinners so it's not unusual for lunch to be our largest meal.

Having snacks doesn't necessarily = snacking all the time. :) We get hungry between meals sometimes and so we nibble on healthy stuff. ?

And...

I'm sure everyone has their idea of "fancy" and there seem to be a lot more people eating pre-made meals from the freezer section nowadays. If there are 2 working parents, chances are, from the people I know, that they are doing convenience foods or eating out a LOT. (We eat meals like the one you made most of the time, so that's typical for us, too. :) )

Definite snackers here. That was my son's complaint about PS, he was always starving. And this kid is skinny. I need the slim pants w/ adjustable waist plus he's tall so hard to find clothes for him. And he eats well at dinner. I know many people no longer cook. My HSing friend has so much more time b/c she doesn't cook that much b/c her kids don't eat anything. Mine like a varied diet....grilled shrimp, steaks, chicken casserole, lamb chops, salads, grilled/baked fish, tacos, pork tenderloin, spaghetti and meatballs, Thai curry (although I have to rinse it a bit), Indian dishes, etc. I cook something every day. DH is the chef in the family so he does the heavy cooking on weekends such as whole baked chicken, whole-fish baked (including cleaning it)

My kids must have much higher metobolism than yours. When I look at what your whole meals for the day are my kids would be starving. My kids (at least the 7, 9 and 12 year old) would probably eat 3-5 pancakes for breakfast (whole grain and covered with homemade applesauce) around 8:30 in the morning. For lunch (around 11:30-12:00) they would probably eat 2 sandwiches each and a pile of cooked veggies. There would be an afternoon snack (3:30-4:00) of a piece of fruit and probably a starch to go with it (muffins, crackers, slice or two of bread) and then your supper would be very typical for us (served at 5:00). 2 of the oldest kids would then be telling me they were hungry about 7:00 at night. They would either get another piece of fruit or offers of leftover supper. But then everyone jokes that I never feed my kids because they are ALWAYS hungry.

I've learned a lot of people don't cook anymore. I used to make hamburger helper and when my husband took the leftovers for lunch people at work would rave over how good his food smelled and I just kept saying but it's hamburger helper. Now that most of his meals are cooked from scratch people will actually stop him and ask him what he's having today? I frequently get recipes requests based solely on how the food smelled.

We do snacks, but the stuff we have in our home is good. Hummus, hardboiled eggs etc. I don't see the point of junk snacks. I also don't see the point of no snacks, esp protein ones. I have a couple who need to keep their blood sugar stable. If you ever experience behavior issues, it could be a blood sugar issue.

So for us, your eating habits wouldn't work with our needs.

Edited by LibraryLover

Someone has probably said this already, but wait until your ds becomes a teenager. There will definitely be snacking at your house then! :D

I have 3 boys, and at our home we eat 3 meals a day.

With 3 growing boys, all of whom swim daily for swim team, I have no problem with them snacking on healthy food between meals.

I don't necessarily have a "snack time," but the boys know they can eat between meals if they need to. But if they can't eat at the next mealtime the snacking needs to stop.

We do NOT have junk food snacks here, though. Snacks at our house are things like: fruit, string cheese or cheese slices, graham crackers, yogurt, nuts (sometimes), carrot sticks and dip.

I thought my family was fairly typical for our eating habits but yesterday I had two separate incidents that made me wonder if we are abnormal.

First, I was at our friend's house getting a spare key because the kids and I will be staying with them for 3-5 days as DH finishes our flooring project. One thing that struck me as interesting was when she asked about snacks for the kids. We really don't have snacks in the house. I've found that when I have them in the house, my kids fill up on junk food between meals. If they are healthy snacks, they don't touch them. So, I just don't stock my kitchen with snacks. She made a few suggestions and all I could say was that I that we don't usually eat that but I think my kids would like them. I wonder if she thinks I starve my kids because, apparently, hers snack all the time. LOL

Do most kids snack? We just eat our three basic meals. Occasionally, my kids will eat a granola bar or Annie's bunnies but it isn't typical.

no snacking here! (glad I'm not the only weird one...)

That sounds kinda elaborate to me but not outrageously so...My typical meal is a meat (grilled or baked, b/c it doesn't take much time) and two veggies (sauted, again to take little time). I do not do a lot of prep. work so mashed pots are not typical. Others are probably right though, he prob. was thinking that homemade was outrageous! :)

We're non-snackers too. Not because I'm trying to deprive anybody, but just because we don't get around to it. Breakfast could be anywhere from 8 - 10; lunch is anywhere from 12 - 4; and supper is between 5 and 7. There isn't really time for snacks, ha!

On the other hand, we are a chubby family. No doubt we'd do a lot better if we added snacks in between--maybe we'd eat smaller meals? Hmm. Must ponder. Maybe over a bowl of popcorn.... :tongue_smilie:

We do graze throughout the day on nuts, fruit, whole grain crackers, etc. but I know that not everyone snacks (I don't know how they do it, as I am hungry every few hours myself and need to snack a lot, but I know everyone is different). That said, my kids would really be hungry if we had the meals you described without snacks in between. Here's a typical day for us:

Breakfast: Whole grain mini bagel with nut butter or cream cheese, fruit, small glass of milk

Snack: Trail mix, fruit

Lunch: Ravioli (frozen) cooked, drained, and served on a bed of wilted baby spinich with marinara on top, grated parm, glass of water

Snack: Small cup of fruited yogurt with granola on top, glass of water

Supper: Ham and cheese omelettes, fruit salad, green salad with O/V dressing

Snack: Baked sweet potato with cinnamon and brown sugar sprinkled on top, small pat of butter

I don't think your supper was 'all out'. I think that's something people say to express their appreciation. Or maybe he and his wife don't cook much at home. Maybe it really was 'all out' to him!

I honestly don't think I would be asking- 'are we abnormal' , as it sounds like code for --'Aren't we superior?" -- wrt the family generously hosting my family.

I get that the family is somewhat protected because we don't know them (although honestly...thread last forever), but they offered your children something to eat at a time you do not typically eat, and you're disucssing that generosity in a negative way here. It feels off to me. Maybe they are trying to be polite. Let it go.

Why not say, "We are staying with such a nice family who generously oferred my children a snack!" or 'They were so willing to help us!" . That would seem so much more gracious that this. Perhaps this sounds harsher that I would like, but I really don't think you should gossip (in any way) about a family taking in a large family, and then being generous to this large family.

Edited by LibraryLover

The dinner sounds normal to me. But, we ARE snackers.

I have SKINNY 14, 12, 10, and 4 yo. During the day, the are able to snack on carrots, celery, cream cheese, homemade bread, hummus, apples, peaches, oranges, almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds, yogurt (plain, with jelly or honey), etc. I've definitely noticed that my oldest two are eating a LOT more snacks than the others! But, they're both skinny as can be (my oldest is 5' 9" and weighs 115 - fully clothed!! My 12 yo weighs a bit more - 120 or so - and is 5' 5".)