Menu

s/o Cord around baby's neck

I'm curious about this. I have always thought that a baby born with the umbilical cord around their neck was pretty common and that bad outcomes were pretty rare in these cases. But a few people have posted some scary things (in a response to the post I'm spinning off of, the cord was wrapped 4x and baby was in major distress). I'm curious, if you have had a baby born with their cord around their neck, how many times was it around and what was the status of your baby?

I have had 1 baby with it around once and 1 baby with it around 3 times. Both were completely fine.

My first child had the cord wrapped around both his neck and his hand. The cord was only wrapped once. He was not in distress. No one was worried about the situation. The doctor simply informed me that they had to give me an episiotomy because he wasn't going to be able to fit coming out without it because of the situation.

All 3 of my babies had the cord wrapped, but I don't know how many times. First child had no problem going down the birth canal. Second dd's head came out and she was stuck there until dr cut the cord, at which point she shot out and dr caught her like a football. Third child went into distress and I had an emergency C-section. I often wonder if this is what caused her LDs.

One baby with cord wrapped around twice- 9 on APGAR. One baby with cord wrapped 3 times - APGAR 10.

One baby with a complete knot in the cord. He was 10lbs 2oz and 24" long- APGAR 9. The midwife said "you don't see babies with knots in the cords born alive, though I've since met a couple of them :001_smile:

My second child was delivered really fast. So, I often wonder if that was the cause of his cord wrapping OR if God just got him out fast so he could breathe. I don't remember his apgar. But, he wasn't breathing at first. He had a problem with his temperature while in the hospital, too. We were able to get the temp up though. I never asked how many times it was wrapped around. But, for a second I felt awful. My husband says it was only a second. But, still scary that he didn't cry right away. He is sweet as pie now.

DS9.5 had cord wrapped once around his neck. He had excess amniotic fluid (twin pregnancy) - he is one of those babies that had had excess fluid simply because he was large (study done about 13 years go, I think - some multiples have excess fluid simply b/c they are large as opposed to the other reasons which would be cleft palate, gestational diabetes) --

I digress - what a surprise :glare: - I was sectioned and when they made the incision into his sac, there was so much fluid, the release of the pressure pushed the cord up around his neck -- I didn't know any of this at the time.....ds was bagged for about 30 seconds and then he cried. I could only hear dd crying, it did not register that ds wasn't crying......I do know that the anesthesiologist started up a conversation with me and the rest of the room except for dd crying, was silent. Dh told me it was the longest 30 seconds of his life.

I was told about this the next day. Thank G-d ds is fine...no complications, no problems. And I am incredibly thankful that I did not know about it at the time.

My first had the cord around her neck once. The attending nurse-midwife slipped it off her neck. No problems. APGAR was 9/9, IIRC.

My second had the cord around his neck twice. We were at home this time, midwife slipped both loops over his head. Again, no issues. I have no clue what his APGAR scores were - probably 10/10, tbh. He started crying before he was fully birthed, so..

My third, I spent a lot of time talking to her. Before implantation, I told her I didn't want an anterior placenta this time, thankyouverymuch. Posterior placenta! I also told her that, since she was the third, it would NOT cute to have the cord around her neck thrice. She obliged - the cord was around her shoulders like a feather boa.

There is some speculation that nuchal cord actually helps protect babies from cord prolapse.

Cord wrapped around multiple times AND it prolapsed AND her shoulders got stuck... apgar was 1 (and that was being kind)... she was pale, GREY--way past purple and blue--no movement, not breathing, no heartbeat... but she revived quickly... she is at the top of her class in 2nd grade at the local PS!!! ...no ill effects!!

When her shoulders 'stuck' (dystocia) the cord slipped out (prolapse)--because the cord was wrapped around her neck multiple times she could not breath on her own (head was out)--and DR could not cut the cord--she was strangling! I was TERRIFIED!

DD7 is my miracle baby.

----

Oldest dd had cord wrapped around twice--normal, quick, unmedicated birth--but she was 'purple'--apgar 8. This dd has mild/moderate learning disabilities so I will always wonder...

--

My brother also had cord issues but was born via emergency C-section... he also has learning disabilities...(he was blue).

I think my kids were both just once. Both apgar scores fine.

I think there is more at play than how many times. Obviously several times could be pretty problematic. But it'd be more problematic with a fairly short cord than a fairly long one. The quality of the cord may also play a part.

I really don't know about this stuff. It just seems like once could be a real issue for some babies while a few times may work out okay for others.

One baby with cord wrapped around twice- 9 on APGAR. One baby with cord wrapped 3 times - APGAR 10.

One baby with a complete knot in the cord. He was 10lbs 2oz and 24" long- APGAR 9. The midwife said "you don't see babies with knots in the cords born alive, though I've since met a couple of them :001_smile:

Reading this gave me chills. My 3rd child was born with a "true knot" in his cord according to the midwife and at the time I didn't think it was a huge deal. I wonder what the difference is between a knot and a true knot. Are there knots that are fake or something? He also had a nuchal hand. My midwives were so impressed, lol!

Regarding the OP- I think 2 of my kids had the cord wrapped but honestly I'm in such a daze during labor and birth that I don't remember. Not sure where the daze comes from since I've never had even the slightest bit of pain med during labor...but I just don't remember much.

I had a true knot baby, too! My second. She is fine. I've also had two wrapped cord babies, and my last had an unusually short cord. The placenta came out with him, lol.

About 25% of babies have a cord wrapped somewhere (usually the neck). It is usually not a problem. In some cases, a tangled-up cord can prevent a baby from descending properly and a c-section is an appropriate course of action. Cord compression (which usually happens only after a woman's water is broken or breaks on its own because the fluid cushions the cord) can cause fetal distress. Fetal distress that doesn't resolve with a change in mom's position or amnioinfusion (if the water is broken) or severe fetal distress may indicate c-section as well. If the birth is imminent, it may be faster (and safer) to just push the baby out vaginally.

The vast majority of babies with cords wrapped can be born vaginally without any problems and the hype about it is just another example of how the dangers of childbirth get exaggerated. Yes, there are risks. Those risks, however, are quite small.

I've had five babies and two had cords wrapped around their necks. My last one was quite tangled up. I've attended births with cords wrapped and they were also fine. The birth attendant just moves the cord out of the way (in most cases).

My first son had a "true" cord not and was and is perfectly happy and healthy!

I think there is more at play than how many times. Obviously several times could be pretty problematic. But it'd be more problematic with a fairly short cord than a fairly long one. The quality of the cord may also play a part.

This was the case, for my first. It was a short and thin cord (and wrapped twice). I was adamant about a natural birth, so the doctors and my midwife worked and worked with me, but my daughter was definitely in distress and unable to descend properly. She was ultimately an emergency c-section, and we are so, so thankful. Actually, my plan was to labor at home, but miraculously, my BP suddenly spiked that day. In monitoring me, they noticed distress in my daughter with every contraction that started mild but ultimately was quite bad. Her apgars were decent, but she had blood sugar issues for her first 12 hours or so from the stress.

Again, so thankful! My second didn't have a wrapped cord at all.

One thing I'll add is that he hiccuped a LOT in the womb. None of my subsequent 3 babies had hiccups or if so it was once maybe? I learned recently that hiccups in the womb "can" be related to a cord knot. If I had another one who hiccuped lots, I would probably get an ultrasound to check out the cord situation. Only had one ultrasound that was medically necessary out of my first four. :)

my girl came out superman style (one arm over her head a la superman flying) with the cord wrapped around her neck once, her superman arm once, and then around both (holding the arm to the head). She wouldn't breath for a short while but the midwife massaged her and got her going. I would say it was about 5 minutes b/f she could hand her to me. I would call that distress but the midwife said that I was in more distress over it than the baby.

As a L&D nurse I see alot,, I mean ALOT of babies with nuchal cords (around the neck) most do just fine. Occasionally the doc has to clamp and cut before the rest of the baby comes out at the delivery of the head but not very often. The most you see on the monitor is dips in the heart rate. Sometimes the kids don't even have that and have a suprise nuchal cord. I think the weirdest one was 3 nuchal cords and 2 true knots and the baby didn't even have one dip in the heart rate and did fine. We had twins a while ago that were in the same sac. One baby had a nuchal cord and the other baby had a knot and their cords were so tangled together it was crazy. She was kept in the hosp for about a month for continuing monitoring and U/S for fetal well being and then delivered when things didn't look so good. Both babies are doing well now. Most babies do fine even with a nuchal cord or a knot. Of course I don't have long term outcomes from this since we don't see them again past 2-3 days old.

My oldest dd had the cord wrapped around her neck twice. Dh just unwrapped it before her body came out. She was born quickly and had good color and responsive right after the birth. My youngest dd had a prolapsed cord. I don't remember if it was around her neck at all. She wasn't breathing when she was born but came around pretty quickly.

First baby had the cord around his neck 2x. No problems.

Thrida baby had the cord around his neck, around his shoulder, wrapped under his arm, across his body, and out between his legs. He was all twisted and wrapped in it. He came out very fast. So fast the midwife didn't make it here on time. He was born in the water, and when he came out, my friend (supposedly there to help with my older boys!) just kind of flipped him around and over under the water until he was unwrapped, and then I lifted him out of the water onto my chest. I rubbed his back with my knuckles and talked to him telling him to breath, and he sputtered his first breath, and then cried. It was a beautiful sound! Had he decided to wait for the midwife, those few seconds of anxiety would not have happened. Little stinker.

Not sure where the daze comes from since I've never had even the slightest bit of pain med during labor...but I just don't remember much.

Of my two vag deliveries, I was much more clear-minded during my medicated birth than the unmedicated one. For me, the daze came from the pain! :tongue_smilie:

DS has his cord wrapped tightly around his arm and ended up as an emergency C-section because he was squeezing the cord every time I had a contraction, he won't descend because of how the cord was wrapped. He had APGAR of 8 and 9 when born, I believe I was under general so I didn't see him right after birth.

DD was a VBAC and had the cord wrapped either once or twice around her neck with APGAR of 9 and 9.

My #4 had a wrap and a true knot.

He had had a few heart rate dips in early labor, then it took a real dive around 6 or 7cms, just as I was getting all comfy in the tub. :tongue_smilie:

My mw ordered me out of the tub, yelled for the operating room across the hall to be ready, and then told me to get him out or I was going in. I delivered him less than 2 minutes later.

He was perfect, but I started bawling when I saw that knot. It was like a nightmare shoelace!

While I did have a major repair done, my mw is convinced the OR never would have been able to get it done in time. We'll never know if that's true, and I'm perfectly fine not knowing!

My dd had the cord wrapped around her neck 2 times. She had a hard delivery that did not help the situation. Her first apgar was a 2, but the second reading was a 9! She's doing well today, smart as a whip and is a light in our lives.

My friend on the other hand lost her baby in utero due to the cord being wrapped around his neck. It was a very sad time.

Edited by mom2koh

T had the cord around his neck and his hand next to his face. No problems at all; the midwife just slipped the cord off as he was being born. Apgar of 9/10.

I (most recent baby) had a long cord with a knot in it. (eta: I looked up "true knot" and found an image that looked exactly like the one in I's cord--no idea this can be dangerous!) (He had mild distress right before delivery, but that was unrelated to the knot; his chin wasn't tucked, making his head more difficult to push out. Also, I had very little help from my uterus during the pushing stage and had to do most of the pushing myself. As soon as his heart-rate dipped, my midwife told me she'd have to cut an episiotomy if he didn't come out next push. He came out the next push. :D)

Edited by yslek

My dear friend lost a baby at 5 months in utero--the cord was wrapped around the baby's neck, but I don't know if there were other complications (I don't think so).

Ds was in some distress before being born, but they didn't mention the cord, that I could tell.

I had no idea it was so common.

Nate had a true knot. He was perfectly fine, but the doctor was really shaken. He had been an OB for over 30 years and he said the only things that scare him are true knots. He was very happy that my babies come early, because he wasn't sure that Nate would have survived if he had waited the extra 3 weeks before arriving. I get chills every time I think of it.

All 3 of mine had cords wrapped, but only one was scary. 2 came very easily with cord wrapped only 1 or 2 times.

My oldest came with the cord wrapped several times. She was having heart decels and when her head came out her lips were turning blue. I didnt end up having time to push her body out at the Dr couldn't get enough slack to get the cord off. She just had to pull her out right then and there without waiting for the next contraction. Baby ended up being fine...I had to have 26 stitches, but it was worth having a healthy baby!

I would say most cord wrap births are fine, but when it goes wrong it is usually do to a lack of slack to correct the problem, or it is because it is wrapped around limbs as well.

But a few people have posted some scary things (in a response to the post I'm spinning off of, the cord was wrapped 4x and baby was in major distress). I'm curious, if you have had a baby born with their cord around their neck, how many times was it around and what was the status of your baby?

my first daughter's cord was wrapped around her neck, her wrist and her foot. It was a really long cord. There was no distress at any time. APGAR 9/10. It was helpful that the cord was long and that the amniotic sac was intact until just a few seconds before exit.

She does have dyslexia and ADHD but as there was no distress at all during labor/birth with her it's unlikely that the cord issus played a roll. Most likely her 'stuff' is related to low maternal/fetal vitamin D levels and not enough zinc (vegetarian at the time, didn't take any supplemental zinc).

It's optimal if hcp's leave the cords intact - somersaulting the baby over the cord if there isn't enough slack. Delayed cord clamping improves outcomes, apgars and iron stores.

My second daughter also had an APGAR of 9/10 and was born in with intact membranes into the water. It was *so* cool. Her head was out, still in the 'bag of waters' and i couldn't get my fingernail in to open it up. Strong stuff! I called to the midwife from across the room, she calmly came over, was able to open it with her gloved finger then I continued birthing and catching my own baby *by myself* in the pool which is exactly what I wanted.

Best,

Katherine

Edited by cillakat

I could have written this! My second tied himself a nice knot and I had 2 with cords wrapped around at least once. The only ones that scored lower than 9s were the ones that decided to meet the world face up!

All 3 had the cord wrapped around more than once; all were blue with low initial APGAR scores which rose to 9 after 5 minutes. Two have LDs, and other neurological issues, probably not birth related. All are labeled profoundly gifted and show no lasting effects.

A few of mine have had the cord wrapped, but no problems associated with it.

When I arrived at hospital with #5 they immediately hooked me up to the monitors. The nursed freaked out over a deceleration in the heart rate with the first contraction they monitored. She was still adjusting the belt at the time and he was moving, so I wasn't the least bit concerned. She made me change positions, wear oxygen, etc. until my doc arrived. Doc said everything looked perfect and I was free to labor how I pleased.

I got in the tub, but my labor stopped (this was about 10-11 pm...I'm convinced it was because of the hub-bub of the nurse. She was so spastic). After a fitful night, I convinced my doc to break my water the next morning about 6:30. Labor immediately started back up and he was born just before 10 am with one push (he wasn't supposed to be a water birth per hospital policy :tongue_smilie: oh, well!), and a 3 ft. cord with a true knot. The knot had absolutely no effect on him, but it may have been the cause of the decel when he was wiggling around.

The midwife said "you don't see babies with knots in the cords born alive, though I've since met a couple of them :001_smile:

My daughter had a knot and the cord wrapped around her neck. She was a fairly vigorous kid and nothing much has changed in that department. Lucky the knot wasn't tight or she wouldn't be here now.

Rosie

My oldest daughter had the cord wrapped around her neck, once but pretty tightly. MY OB told dh that he would not be able to cut the cord when he first realized it was wrapped but he ended up needing the help. MY OB used his hands to hold the cord out as far as he could from her neck and asked dh to cut the cord. He was terrified but all was well and she had no complications.

Dd had the cord wrapped once around her neck. Everytime she started to come down the canal, her heart rate would dip. Then the cord would tighten and pull her back in again. The Dr. was with another patient and when the nurses saw that my body was on auto-pilot pushing, they called him on the intercom to "Come Stat". He came in running, grabbed the scalpel and cut that cord in one motion. They took the baby to the side because she was blue. I don't remember her apgar but I know it was lower than 9 or 10.

First dd had cord around neck. I don't know how many times. She was a traumatic delivery and we were told she had DS and heart problems, neither of which is true. :001_smile:

Did lose a baby to a cord accident at 5 months 2 years ago. I was told it was wrapped around the baby's leg. :confused:

I'm the one with the baby who's cord was wrapped 4 times and the Dr. counted them as he unwrapped her. Her apgar score was either 1 or 2. She was white as a sheet. My two older daughters were in the room and one of them was video taping the birth (discreetly). The neonatal nurse made her turn the video camera off. She was hispanic and said repeatedly, "No camera! No camera!" That's when I KNEW something was terribly wrong. She didn't want us to video tape our own baby's death. It took 20 minutes for the nurse to allow us to turn the camera back on. My baby was completely lifeless in apearance, like a rag doll with NO movement. But she did have a pulse the whole time.

I was 38 when she was born and it had been 10 years since my last birth. It was also my first epidural, the other's having been 100% natural. I was SO scared that I wouldn't be able to push her out strongly. But I did. I only pushed for a couple of minutes and she was out that quick. THANK GOD! She had been monitored the whole time and was NOT in distress until the very last couple of minutes. If I HADN'T been strong enough to push her out quickly, or if the epidural had been too stong and prevented me from being able to use my muscles, she would have been dead, no question. Today, she is 100% normal, quite the genius ;), and the greatest joy of my life!

my girl came out superman style (one arm over her head a la superman flying) with the cord wrapped around her neck once, her superman arm once, and then around both (holding the arm to the head). She wouldn't breath for a short while but the midwife massaged her and got her going. I would say it was about 5 minutes b/f she could hand her to me. I would call that distress but the midwife said that I was in more distress over it than the baby.

My kid had his arm bent (elbow first), had to be manipulated so he would be hand first, had to have his shoulder tweaked so it wouldn't dislocate, came out hand, arm, head, cord wrapped around neck. Apgar 9.

And this was after seizing my way into back labor, pre-eclamptic, one shot of stadol early on (nothing else - no epidural, no pitocin. no internal monitor), no IV).

I say a good nurse midwife is worth their weight in gold. The resident on call wanted to give me the full monty, despite all of my sisters having had a bad reaction to the pitocin/epidural route.

a

Edited by asta

All my children had the umbilical cord wrapped atleast 2 times. My 5 y/o son had it 4 times and he had shoulder dystocia so this was probably more related to that, he didnt cry when he was born, he was blue and his first apgar score was 1 :eek:. The nurses didnt seem to care at first and was working on me as the dr was dealing with him, then the dr said something, all the nurses ran to him and 2 other drs ran in. Talk about having a heart attack. (Still no crying) FINALLY about 3 minutes later (do you know how long that is when you are waiting to hear your blue baby cry?? :confused:) he cried, and every body started slowly leaving the room.

To be perfectly honest with you when the dr told me it was only 3 minutes I about called him a liar. They were giving my son oxygen tha I could see but they were positioned so I really couldnt see what was going on. Im sure they do that on purpose, and they sure know how to tune out the panicked crys of a new mother..... Today he seems ok. I was told that between that and a few other reasons he may have learning disabilites. Im not sure yet. He just doesnt want to do anything yet, but maybe that is his age. He didnt talk til over 2 years old-- they said that could be related, and has had a few other minor delays that have corrected themselves so maybe he will just be a late bloomer with school too. We will see what happens :confused: but all I know is my boy is not that same blue limp baby that came out not crying!

My baby was completely lifeless in apearance, like a rag doll with NO movement. But she did have a pulse the whole time.

That is how my son came out. It is so scary-- to say the LEAST. They whisked him off after they got him stabalized before I was even allowed to see him, atleast 20-25 minutes. I was a nervous wreck the whole time