Menu

What would your death row last meal be?

poppy

Sorry for the morbid topic ... It's really meant more as a thought experiment more than a literal question.

I was just eating a meal and thought 'I think this would be my pick for last meal if I was on death row.' And it made me curious what others would pick.

I was at a diner having coffee, scrambled eggs, fried potatoes and toast with jam. With hot sauce and ketchup.

Edited by poppy
  • Like 1

Sorry for the morbid topic ... It's really meant more as a thought experiment more than a literal question.

I was just eating a meal and thought 'I think this would be my pick for last meal if I was on death row.' And it made me curious what others would pick.

I was at a diner having coffee, scrambled eggs, fried potatoes and toast with jam. With hot sauce and ketchup.

Too funny! I just had basically the same lunch, and when I saw your title, that's exactly what I thought. :)

Ribeye steak cooked medium rare. French onion soup and creamy mashed potatoes. Fluffy yeast rolls with honey butter. Tiramisu for dessert. Oh, and ice cold cherry Coke from the can (I've pretty much sworn off regular coke for the rest of my life because of the sugar).

I told my dh about this and he said, "You can't even decide where you want to eat in a regular night. You'd just indefinitely postpone your execution by asking the guard, 'What do YOU feel like?'l

• Like 9

I've actually thought about this (not that I'm planning to go to prison).

I have a severe wheat allergy, so I told my sister that when it is my time to go: yes, I want to be resuscitated.  Then I would like Kentucky Fried Chicken, deep dish pizza with Italian sausage and green peppers, and lemon meringue pie.

And in the words of Queen Esther, "If I perish, I perish."  :)

• Like 4

Well, a death row row meal, they basically give you everything you ask for, right? So, I would ask for a little bit of everything. Lobster, scallops, cheese enchiladas, steak, chicken, apple pie, cherry turnover, etc etc. just a little taste of everything till I am full

I vaguely remember reading that you can request anything you want, but they can only give you what's already on site. Like, maybe fried shrimp instead of lobster :p I *think* there are still a couple of states that give you a small budget and will do takeout.

I have been thinking about this for a while, and I just have no idea. Maybe I'll come back when I'm hungry ;)

Hmm..  Maybe something like a yummy herb-flavored, blackened chicken breast, mashed sweet potatoes, a light arugula greens salad, a homemade slice of bread with a thick slab of butter, a half bottle of a good sauvignon blanc wine, strong coffee, and creme brulee for dessert. 

Although I don't imagine I'd be very hungry if I knew I was going to die the next day!

Assuming I was there because of a wrongful conviction, then I'd pick anything that would give me bad gas.  Like a big pile of grilled onions.  It'd serve 'em right.  :coolgleamA:

The "last meal" concept was so that the deceased had a full digestive tract and therefore ... ummm...  embarrassed themselves when killed.   The ultimate in Insult to Injury.  

Somewhere I've heard that you can get what you requested, but not the brand/source you requested.  So, I'd stick with things a cafeteria could do without completely ruining it.  But otherwise, I think the entree would be fetticini alfredo with deep fried shrimp.   Peanut Butter Fudge Malt for the drink.   

Chocolate ice cream, with hot fudge and caramel, and organic bananas and whipped cream. 

I would also like this crepe thing TCBY used to make. It has chocolate frozen yogart inside with peanut butter chips and fudge. Then the crepe is closed around it and then fudge on the outside with PB chips sprinkled on it and then whipped cream all around.

I might finish all this with some William Sonoma Hot Cocoa.

The "last meal" concept was so that the deceased had a full digestive tract and therefore ... ummm...  embarrassed themselves when killed.   The ultimate in Insult to Injury.  

The things I learn hanging around y'all! 

Since I'm pretty sure that embarrassment would happen to me anyway due to sheer terror, I would go ahead and ask for ribeye steak with bleu cheese sauce, pomme puree, and some asparagus. Oh and a glass of wine. Then follow that up with a small slice of chocolate fudge cake, and then a fudge brownie and a butterscotch and chocolate chip cookie. Then a chocolate martini, and then I should be good to go. I'm going to pretend that this is being prepared by a decent chef for the sake of argument rather than the prison cafeteria in which case I would probably take a pass and just die. 

In Texas, you don't get a last meal. Lawrence Brewer (2011) ordered a ton of expensive food, claiming to be very hungry, and then didn't eat a bite of it.  After the state had spent hundreds of dollars buying the food, they ended the "last meal" practice and now you get whatever is on the prison menu that day.

There are photography recreations of last meals that artists have done and published.

I'm still contemplating my last meal.....but I think Texas sheet cake is involved. :)

• Like 2

The "last meal" concept was so that the deceased had a full digestive tract and therefore ... ummm... embarrassed themselves when killed. The ultimate in Insult to Injury.

This sounds like it's more for the satisfaction of the living, the executioners and those desirous of it. After all a moment of humiliation just before extinction seems totally pointless. The deceased won't care. Edited by Onceuponatime

This sounds like it's more for the satisfaction of the living, the executioners and those desirous of it. After all a moment of humiliation just before extinction seems totally pointless. The deceased won't care.

The executed families would care.  Particularly since they've been extremely public for most of history.  

The crowd's last impression of the executed would be the ick and smell.   Would make it easy to say to among themselves, yeah, he was a turd.  

A banana.  Creme de caramel. A bit of Stilton cheese.

But they'd have to agree to shoot me real quick because I'm now seriously allergic to these things, and ... they'd kill me.  :0)

The executed families would care. Particularly since they've been extremely public for most of history.

The crowd's last impression of the executed would be the ick and smell. Would make it easy to say to among themselves, yeah, he was a turd.

To hang someone is supposed to , in theory , lead to death by a broken neck. Many died , intentionally or not , from asphyxiation --- which would lead to release of bladder and bowels. So I doubt the whole entire idea behind the last meal concept was making extra sure there was bowel release since it was almost inevitable anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I vaguely remember reading that you can request anything you want, but they can only give you what's already on site. Like, maybe fried shrimp instead of lobster :p I *think* there are still a couple of states that give you a small budget and will do takeout.

I have been thinking about this for a while, and I just have no idea. Maybe I'll come back when I'm hungry ;)

Most states will bring in food from the outside but there is a bidget.  Something around $25-35 comes to mind.

Now, I'm starving.

I couldn't eat my last meal. I would not enjoy it because I would be so sad at my imminent death.

I just spit out my drink laughing at the contrast between these responses.  Neither is wrong!!

I bet there is some way to know based on your Myers Briggs or Hogwarts House whether this thread makes you hungry or lose your appetite.

• Like 2

I just spit out my drink laughing at the contrast between these responses. Neither is wrong!!

I bet there is some way to know based on your Myers Briggs or Hogwarts House whether this thread makes you hungry or lose your appetite.

Well, this Ravenclaw's first thought was of a huge pile of buttery grilled shrimp and a pina colada, if you wanna start gathering your statistics.

ETA scratch the pina colada, that was a temporary craving. I'd wash down my bronzed shrimp with a crisp Riesling, thanks.

Edited by Seasider

BBQ ribs with a spicy BBQ sauce, good crispy french fries, a coke, and a creme brûlée or two for dessert.

Can we share? If not I'm having rendang or beef stroganoff (fillet steak, sour cream, no mushrooms!), a Coke Zero and white chocolate mouse liberally dosed with brandy-or-whatever-is-in-the-liquor-cabinet.

• Like 1

One afternoon a couple years ago, I was listening to an afternoon talk show on the radio while driving home from work.  They were discussing last meals and what each of them would request in that situation.  For my potential final meal, I ran through several options in my head and settled on my wife's (Chelle in MO) meatloaf, mashed potatoes and corn.

After I got settled in at home, I asked her what we were having for dinner.  She said, "Meatloaf, mashed potatoes and corn."  Before telling her the story, I thought, "Well, this might be it."  YIKES!

• Like 8

If I am dead, I don't care, so it really is a punishment to whoever has to clean up that mess.

• Like 1

Leaving aside the question of if I could eat it or not under the circumstances, to answer the OP question, I'd probably want a big mess of Ethiopian food.   Besides being good food it is tied to most of my happiest and most meaningful moments in life.  

Did your family just like Ethiopian food?  What was the history there?

Not sure if I could eat either. And my choice may vary... but right now I think Roast Beef, baby steamed potatoes with the gravy, corn on the cob, and chocolate cake. If I had an allergy to something I enjoyed, I'd consider that... lol

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

There was some TV show (maybe a Law and Order episode?) where the person asked for a PB&J sandwich to go into anaphylactic shock and need treatment knowing they couldn't execute if he was sick.  

I don't know if that is really a thing or just for TV, but I thought that was ironic.

Did your family just like Ethiopian food? What was the history there?

I went to high school in a neighborhood that was historically primarily African American. With the unrest in Ethiopia and Eritrea in the 1980s and early 1990s, a lot of Ethiopian refugees ended up in my city. A number of small Ethiopian restaurants and a couple of East African grocery stores opened. The year I started high school one in particular opened right down the street from my high school. It was very cheap. Like around $5-6 with a dollar tip for this huge platter of legumes and vegetables (lentils, split peas, collards, cabbage) and spongy injera (a flat bread made of ted flour) that was easily enough to stuff 2 high school kids and fill 3-4. Some friends and I started going there 2 or more times a week. The family that opened the place was very kind and they had kids around the same age as us. After high school, I ended up living a short walk from there while I was in college. The owners saw me a lot. My now husband and I went on a lot of dates there. It was an affordable place to host parties or larger gatherings so we had many a birthday or other party there. This pattern has kept up and we still go there. It's like comfort and celebration food all rolled into one. The same people still own it so a relationship has been maintained over the years. Sometimes my husband will try and surprise me with take out from there but I can smell it the moment he opens the door.

We have been to many other Ethiopian restaurants, some we liked and others that were just ok. Once, our neighbors were an ethiopian family and the wife would share food with with us and vice versa.

I can pull off a decent version of a chicken dish and of a lentil dish and a potato and cabbage dish but I can't get the injera right.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1

I would want crab cakes, shrimp scampi and not like 4 little shrimps either, pesto tricolor rotini, those cheesy biscuits from Red Lobster, slices of fresh baked sourdough bread (two breads, who cares, last meal), a 4pk of wine coolers, and I'll also take some peanut butter chocolate ice cream. Heck, make it a quart. I would die happy.  

• Like 1