Menu

How much does your 11 year old weigh? Dd weight question

The kids were at the Dr on Tuesday and dd's height and weight are "way above the 100th%ile. Since I'm only 5', I expect both kids to be taller than me. But with the weight, dd doesn't *look* that big.

She doesn't get out nearly as much as ds, but when she gets out, she has no problems playing. We took a hike to the star one weekend, and she was ahead of ds and I. She loves walking to and from the park which includes a set of 66 stairs.

She's about 56" and 100lbs.

56" is above the 100th percentile? My 11 year old is 56" (4 ft 8 in) and he seems short for age compared to boys and girls. Seems many girls are shooting up and rounding out faster at this age and boys are doing it later. My son weighs about 64 lbs and he is rail thin to the point I'm throwing food at him constantly.

Pooh Bear, I'm amazed your 11 year old is 5'9"! Wow!

56" is above the 100th percentile? My 11 year old is 54" and he seems super short for age compared to boys and girls. Seems many girls are shooting up and rounding out faster at this age and boys are doing it later. My son weighs about 64 lbs and he is rail thin to the point I'm throwing food at him constantly.

Pooh Bear, I'm amazed your 11 year old is 5'9"! Wow!

Tell me about it. He grew an inch in January! I'm 5'7", his dad is 5'10". You look at him sometimes and forget that he is only 11.

If her height and weight are near the same percentile, I'd assume she was just fine.

I don't know my 9yo's height right now, but she's 72lbs. I would not be surprised if she made it to the 90s by 11. 100 isn't a huge leap from that.

My 13yo ds just broke 100 (and 5'8) and he's an absolute twig. So 100 doesn't sound all that impressive to me. ;)

It can really vary! I have a ds 11 1/2. He is 4" 8" same as yours, 56" and is 80 lbs. He is quite thin but very fit. I think he could be 100 lbs and not look overweight, just filled out. He eats a lot!!!! and is extremely active.

I also have a dd 10 1/2 yr old, She is close to 55" and 83 lbs. She doesn't look overweight either, not as active or fit as her brother.

I had 3 very different 11 yo girls. I don't recall their exact heights and weights, but one was very tall, very thin (to the point the swim coach threatened not to let her practice anymore); one average height and very thin; and one short and a bit...soft. All three exercised regularly, okay plenty, and ate well. The shorter one just had a different genetic code. I knew from living with my sister that she would be a little pudgy during those preteen years. Pictures of dh's sister showed the same. I didn't pay any attention to the difference and assured her that she would turn out just fine. Some girls hold weight when goign through puberty. Sure enough, she is now a little on the short side and absolutely perfect in weight. I don't put much stock in doctor's charts.;)

My 9yo is 57" and 100 pounds.

My 11yo is 5'1" and 88 pounds.

To the PP with the really tall 11yo - my oldest hit puberty early and was 5'8"ish at 11. However, since he grew earlier, he quit growing earlier, too. At 18 he is 5'10" or so. OTOH, my 14yo was 5'5" before he ever hit his growth spurt, so I expect he will be 6'2" or taller.

Those stupid BMI charts for children are worthless. When my 11yo was 9, he was the same size as most 12yo's. Since he was 9, he was considered overweight. However, if you looked at the BMI measure for 12yo's, he was average. Makes no sense.:glare:

I don't have any girls that age now, but I do know that one of my girls was full-grown at age 10 or 11. She started her period then too, and really -- when you look at pictures of her from age 10 - 20, she hasn't changed too much! ha ha Just thinned out as her "baby fat" disappeared. So, she maybe seemed bigger or "sturdier" for her age then, but that's just because her body matured faster. Funny thing is, now she's the shortest one in our family!

I just looked at a chart -

At 11 years:

your child is 100 pounds, and that is

at the 81st percentile for weight.

your child is 56 inches, and that is

at the 39th percentile for height.

BMI is 22.5, which in pediatric BMI charts places her in the 91st percentile.

Edited by Tigger

My ds11 is 58" and about 110 lb. He has some meat on his bones, so to say, but, I wouldn't call him fat.

He likes to read a lot and while he does like to run around too, he'd rather read. His father (my ex-h) is rather large and I expect both boys will be too. Ds8 is 56" and 87 lb.

Ds11 used to be tall for his age, now he's more average. Ds8 is big for his age.

My 11 year old dd has always been top of the chart for both height and weight. She eats the same diet as the rest of us and swims on the swim team. Her genetic code is just large. The pediatrician and I have discussed it over the years. My ped is not concerned because if you follow dd's chart throught he years her height and weight are tracking evenly. She would be concerned if her height stopped and her weight continued the upswing.

The bottom line for my dd is that she will always have to be careful and monitor what she is eating and making sure that she is getting enough exercise.

You may want to have her thyroid levels checked just to make sure it is functioning properly.

56 inches or 5ft 6 inches? I can see the later being off the chart in height, but not the former.

My 11 year old dds are 5'5.5" and 5'6" at last measurement and are both around 130lbs. You can see photos of them in my blog. They are big girls, but not overweight. The ped was fine with their numbers at their last check up.

It isn't POSSIBLE to be ABOVE the 100%tile. Not sure what I think about a doctor that can't do basic math. She does sound a little overweight if you think that 100 pounds would be average for a 5foot tall woman and she is four inches under that. But I don't think it is much to worry about at her age. She'll hit a growth spurt as she enters puberty and will grow into her weight. As long as she's eating healthy....and find some fun exercise.

My 12 yo daughter is 5'5" and weighs about 150 pounds.

She's a little chunky, but is also very ... I guess solid would be the word. Even as a baby she felt heavier than she looked. You'd think you were picking up a cute little chubby baby and once she was in your arms you'd think you were holding a cinder block. She's very athletic - swims, plays tennis, runs and exercises regularly - as well as eats a well balanced diet, so I'm not worried right now. She'll always have to stay active and eat well to stay on top of her weight, though.

You want to look at a weight for height (or stature) chart. The one I have for girls doesn't quite go to 56" but I have one for boys that does and it puts her somewhere above the 95th percentile.

:iagree: That must be the sort of chart it was.

My dd10 is 56" (I think that's in the middle percentiles for height alone) and 62 lbs.

Edited by wapiti

DD12 is a bitty little thing, I am not sure of her exact height but she comes up to just above my shoulder and I am 5'4" ish, she just gained some weight and is now 61lbs.

DS13 on the other hand 5'3" and 125lbs, the ped called him obese at our last check up. He is chunky, but I would not say he is obese. He has just started puberty and has not his his growth spurt yet. The Ped thought he was so big that he screened him for diabetes and had his thyroid checked. Up until we took him off ritalin he was very thin, he gained some when he stopped taking it, and then when he started puberty he gained a bit more.

Dd11 is 5"1' and about 80 lbs. She is taller than most of her 11 and 12 year old friends. Dd has a "willowy" build. She has friends who are shorter than her, who look thin, but are very solidly built and weigh much more than it appears. She doesn't have a huge appetite - she eats frequent small meals and mostly healthy foods. She also eats VERY slowly.

If your dd is healthy and active and eats good, healthy foods and not a lot of snack foods, I wouldn't worry about the weight, but continue to encourage lots of activity. We strive for about an hour a day of moderate to strenuous activity for all of the kids.

The kids were at the Dr on Tuesday and dd's height and weight are "way above the 100th%ile. Since I'm only 5', I expect both kids to be taller than me. But with the weight, dd doesn't *look* that big.

She doesn't get out nearly as much as ds, but when she gets out, she has no problems playing. We took a hike to the star one weekend, and she was ahead of ds and I. She loves walking to and from the park which includes a set of 66 stairs.

She's about 56" and 100lbs.

My 11yo daughter weighs 90 lbs and is around 4'10" tall. She looks the right weight for her height, neither too heavy nor too thin.

Son currently 11, turns 12 on 2/9.

Height 5 feet 3 inches tall

Weight: 110 lbs

wears size 16-18 slim jeans

adult medium t-shirts

size 9 1/2 or 10 mens shoes (and growing)

He looks skinny, and even wears slim jeans (no butt), but now I'm wondering after reading all these posts... kinda curious what the pediatrician will say when we go for his well visit!

I have an 11yo boy, so things are a little different.

He is 5' 9" and weighs 130lbs. He is tall and lean and eats like all the food is going to spoil if it is not eaten within 10 mins.

My second son is about the same height and weight, but he will be 18 this month! Your son is likely going to be very tall.