Menu

Do you live near the area where you grew up?

So, I don't remember what led me down this road last night, but I ended up looking up around a dozen people I knew from high school and college. I don't keep in touch with anyone I knew in school, partially because I moved away after college and have moved a few times since. Everyone I looked up was scattered across the country, no one was near the place they grew up.

So what about you? Do you live in:

same hometown/city?

same area but different town?

same state/province?

different state?

different country?

Edited by Ellyndria

I live very, very close to where I grew up...same zip code, same school district, about 3 miles from the house I lived in (where my mom still lives). I didn't really plan it this way...I went to college 2 hours away, but never even came home for the summer. Then I moved to Ohio for a year after college, then we were in Boston for 5 years. And then....we wound up back here.

I lived in the same region until 3 years ago. Now I'm 800 miles away. My plan was to move away long before then.

I've gotten in touch with some high school people through facebook and I'm actually surprised how many people still live in that area even after being out of school for two decades.

Yes, we moved back to our hometown almost 2 years ago. I haven't really meet up with anyone I went to school with though. We moved to be closer to the grandparents, which in reality may have not been the best decision. We are now wishing we had moved to the Florida beaches where we went to college. :tongue_smilie:

I grew up in WA, and planned to live there forever. I really liked where I grew up, 20 minutes from the ocean, mountain climbing, hiking, no nasty snakes bugs etc. But then I met this totally WONDERFUL guy in college, who by the way was from Oklahoma........so to make a long story short, here I am, living in Oklahoma. Isn't it amazing how God's plan can be so different from "my" plan?

So you're Scottish? I thought you might be ex-pats :)

We're hoping to get to Scotland summer 2010, my dd does Highland dance and she finishes high school that year, it would be a fitting graduation present. :)

Yes, Scottish through and through:) I think your daughter will love her graduation present.

Same house.

I moved away for college, then work.

Then I married dh who was in the Navy. We moved around the world for 16 years, then settled in NY.

However, as my parents age, I feel it's important for us to be here so the dc can know their g-parents better and so I can help when they need it.

They built another home right here on the property and the original farm house was empty, so we made some renovations and moved here last summer.

We sold our dream house in our dream location to make the move.

While this house isn't even close to my 'dream house', both the dc and my parents are loving the arrangement.:001_smile:

I live about 10 minutes away now, and am back in that area several times a week. I even delivered flyers to my childhood home over xmas when I was doing flyers. I moved away to a few smaller towns in the province when the kids were infants, but have been back for the last 9 years.

We live in the PNW: Same area, different town about 30 minutes from my childhood community. My sisters and some of my best friends from high school have also stayed in the area, which is a part of what keeps me here. I love it here, and love having my friends and family nearby.

Cat

My dh and I are totally different on this. He lives next door to the house where he grew up. His parents still live there. His Dad grew up in a house just a few hundred yards up the road, where his own mother lived until she was in her 90's. Of FIL's three siblings, the one living furthest away is in the next town, 30 miles.

It's the same with Dh's mother, she grew up a few miles away and her 2 siblings live within a few miles still.

Of dh's two brothers, 1 lives a half mile down the road, and the other across town, about 15 miles away.

Now for me.. well, obviously I'm not near where I grew up! ;)

I grew up in the south-west of England, my parents still live in the same town but not the same house. My mother and father both moved from London, about 75 miles away to the area when I was a few years old.

I'm living 3000 miles/an ocean/a continent away.

Of my 3 siblings, 2 live in another town near my parents, about 20 or so miles away, and one lives in New Zealand, about 11,000 miles/an ocean/a continent away. (And we're lucky to not be farther apart... the two siblings of mine who live near 'home', one almost married a German guy and moved there, the other was seriously considering moving to South Africa to be nearer his wife's father.)

Edited by BritAnnia

Oddly, enough, after marrying and moving all over the place (overseas, even)...we settled about twenty minutes from my family (they still live where I grew up).

In fact, my grandparents both came from small towns east of the capital city (where we lived), and I now live in a small town, just minutes from "The Old Country", as my husband calls it, lol.

I guess those weekends of visiting said small towns had an effect on me. :-)

The closest I ever got in the past 30 years was within. 3 hrs. I would love for my children to grow up in the area I grew up in or pretty much anywhere in New England. I keep asking dh to get a 1 year tdy but he says you pretty much get stuck or they have your there over spring and summer and not fall and winter which I would love for the kids to experience.

I live about 5 minutes from the house where I grew up where my parents still live. My brother (only sibling) and family also lives within 5 minutes of our house and now my inlaws (who lived in CA) and my sil (dh's only sibling) and family also live within 5 minutes of our house. And, my grandmother lives in a retirement home less than 5 minutes from our house.

And I LOVE it!!!!!

So, I don't remember what led me down this road last night, but I ended up looking up around a dozen people I knew from high school and college. I don't keep in touch with anyone I knew in school, partially because I moved away after college and have moved a few times since. Everyone I looked up was scattered across the country, no one was near the place they grew up.

So what about you? Do you live in:

same hometown/city?

same area but different town?

same state/province?

different state?

different country?

We live 1 hour 15 minutes from where we both grew up and graduated high school. Same state...and the 'city' where people from our home town come to shop.

I consider myself an Okie since I've lived here since I was 10. I'm half an hour away from where I grew up (we measure distance in time here, too). I'm an hour and a half away from where I spent the first 9 years of my life. Not very far, really. DH, on the other hand, is about 8000 miles away from 'home.'

Blech, yes, about 45 miles away. My sis lives in house we grew up in. Can you tell how much I love San Diego.:glare:

I grew up there too and I feel the same way. Great place to visit though, don't you think? I left 30 years ago and never moved back. My son thinks it would be a grand idea to live in San Diego. He just doesn't "get" all this lovely rainforest out our window. Which actually is covered in lovely snow right now and is glistening in the sunshine..... but no, he wants a big city.

Julie

I've always lived in the south: TN, LA, KY. I'm further north now than I've ever been. I'm much closer to home now, too: about 3 hours vs. the hard driving 13 I was for years while in south Louisiana. Oddly enough, I saw my family and talked to them more then than now.... I didn't keep up with my high school friends after going to college and didn't keep up with college friends after graduating, either.