Menu

Hurricane Helene check-in

1 hour ago, Halftime Hope said:

Google Tampa General coffer-dams for something really interesting.  There were news stories showing the portable barriers being put up, and it appears that they kept back about 12 feet of storm surge.  (Two videos showing before and during.) I'm not able to link them here. (I've tried.)

Before

during

• Like 8
  • Thanks 7

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are very concerned about Mark's cousin in Weaverville, NC. The news reports look really bad, and though their house is on a hill, it is also in a place where the river could overflow, bring down trees, and roll them right down through his subdivision. We have seen some frightening pictures. No one has been able to make any contact with him or his wife, and there doesn't seem to be any possibility of getting anyone in to see if they are okay. This may be a nerve wrecking day or two if we do not hear from them soon.

Mark's brother in Seneca SC had some tree damage, very small house damage (just a deck), and he is okay. His daughter in Greenville had a couple of trees take out her fence and a shed, but missed the house. They are out of power but no flooding. So we are relieved about that.

• Sad 10

12 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

We are very concerned about Mark's cousin in Weaverville, NC. The news reports look really bad, and though their house is on a hill, it is also in a place where the river could overflow, bring down trees, and roll them right down through his subdivision. We have seen some frightening pictures. No one has been able to make any contact with him or his wife, and there doesn't seem to be any possibility of getting anyone in to see if they are okay. This may be a nerve wrecking day or two if we do not hear from them soon.

Mark's brother in Seneca SC had some tree damage, very small house damage (just a deck), and he is okay. His daughter in Greenville had a couple of trees take out her fence and a shed, but missed the house. They are out of power but no flooding. So we are relieved about that.

I ve read cell towers are down many places. I pray they are ok and can reach out soon! 

• Like 5

Internet/cell is very spotty in our area. I can open about 3 websites about 20% of the time. I leave the tabs open bc I think if I close them, I may lose them. I can make calls but they all drop at some point. I can text, but they may take up to 20 minutes to send. I know receiving is also wonky bc I will get nothing for hours, then a whole text thread at once ping ping ping.

Our town is still 100% down today. We are outskirts and on the edge of the grid with the next town over. Our town is small but straddles 3 counties, and 3 electric companies. Because of the road closures and bad internet, I am not seeing any concerted effort in assisting people when I drive thru to another adjoining town, which is mostly open and fine. There is heavy police presence because of the trees and power lines, so they may be trying to limit activity in the area while it's not totally safe. 

We have opened an offer to everyone who can get our texts and get here safely to come eat, shower, enjoy the AC. I know the area our church is in can be weeks without power; I don't know if the roads are passable between us.

• Sad 9

My sister traveled to me (in the Northeast) last week and was supposed to fly back to Asheville Friday am. Her flight was cancelled but she managed to get one stopping in Atlanta. Second leg to Asheville has been cancelled multiple times and now it’s looking like maybe tomorrow night. She’s been there since noon yesterday. She has no idea if she’ll have a car or home when she returns, or if she can even get home from airport. She’s been unable to reach any friends so has no idea what to expect. 

• Sad 17

People around us lost power but we never lost power.   My friends in Columbia, SC still don't have power.

My 3rd son is living in Boone, NC, where he attends App State. They were hard hit.   He lost power, internet, cell service, and water for 24 hours.   The roads are a mess.   Our usual route is washed out.   He would need to go all the way around, adding about 45 min. to his drive.   But he can get out if he needs to.

Classes are cancelled for this entire week and they are asking students to help with the clean up.   After this week, we will see what happens.   There is a lot of damage and they are saying they may have to go remote for a while.   

Edited by DawnM
  • Sad 9

9 hours ago, whitestavern said:

My sister traveled to me (in the Northeast) last week and was supposed to fly back to Asheville Friday am. Her flight was cancelled but she managed to get one stopping in Atlanta. Second leg to Asheville has been cancelled multiple times and now it’s looking like maybe tomorrow night. She’s been there since noon yesterday. She has no idea if she’ll have a car or home when she returns, or if she can even get home from airport. She’s been unable to reach any friends so has no idea what to expect. 

Given the chaos in WNC, she’d most likely be better off waiting until most roads are cleared, power and cell service are restored, etc. to go back. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, whitestavern said:

Get a hotel in Atlanta and hunker down until she can reach people to know what she might be walking into.   If she gets back and has no home to go to and the hotels are full, she could be in trouble.

• Like 6

We still have not heard from his cousins. We did find a recent update about conditions very, very close to where they live. It doesn't look good. When we got up this morning, we filled out the missing person report for Buncombe County. We did find out that some residents of their road are sheltering inside a golf course clubhouse that would be up hill further, and not in danger of falling trees, but I think it would still be in danger of mudslides though I am not certain. Their daughter also lives in the area, no word on her. We don't have her birthdate, and can't remember her married name, so we didn't fill out the report for her. We are hoping that Mark's brother (Seneca, SC) can make it to cousin's other daughter to her home near Greenville, SC today to find out if she has any updates on her family or maybe to be pleasantly surprised and find that they evacuated to her house. His brother has cell phone reception, but S does not yet or her phone battery is dead and she doesn't have a solar charger so we haven't been able to call.

I am so worried.

• Sad 18

Dh's corporate office is in Greenville, SC. 97% of the area is without power, for the third day in the row. Dh talked to one of his colleagues - there are power lines down *everywhere*, as in...just laying on the ground. Tons of trees down, people can't drive anywhere, there's no gas, no propane, people hoarding and flashing guns at each other. It's really, really difficult.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

We are hoping that Mark's brother (Seneca, SC) can make it to cousin's other daughter to her home near Greenville, SC today to find out if she has any updates on her family or maybe to be pleasantly surprised and find that they evacuated to her house. His brother has cell phone reception, but S does not yet or her phone battery is dead and she doesn't have a solar charger so we haven't been able to call.

I am so worried.

I’m near Greenville, Faith. Is your husband’s cousin’s other daughter in a neighborhood? I can try to sleuth out some info here. At one point something like 97% of the area had no power and no internet and no cell service. It’s coming back slowly but surely in sections but it’s super frustrating (and dangerous) still for many.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hyacinth said:

I’m near Greenville, Faith. Is your husband’s cousin’s other daughter in a neighborhood? I can try to sleuth out some info here. At one point something like 97% of the area had no power and no internet and no cell service. It’s coming back slowly but surely in sections but it’s super frustrating (and dangerous) still for many.

Thank you. We don't have Stephanie's address. She isn't that close to the extended family. But Mark's brother said as soon as roads are open, since he has a general idea what area she lives in, he is going to drive over there and see what he can see. We have had regular contact with him even though he is helping his daughter clear a big tree in her yard in Greenville because he has a satellite link and solar charger for his phone.

I do appreciate your offer very much!

• Like 1

There was more damage in our area of Ohio than I thought, but it’s nothing like down south. There are roads flooded here and there—enough that the weather service asked for help reporting them. Lots of people without electricity, but for people of normal means, it’s just a little “extra” right now. I do have one acquaintance that had a tree come down and will need a new roof and some new ceilings inside.

Some towns near rivers had more extensive flooding.

The damage was pretty random otherwise from what I can tell.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, whitestavern said:

How is your sister? This may be late information, but I saw the Asheville Regional Airport has a Facebook page they’ve been updating with good info. 

Just heard some wonderful news! Our cousins are okay. They are surrounded by a lot of destruction but are fine, and have water and food while they wait. They may not be able to get out of the neighborhood for a long while as the road at the bottom of the hills in the bridge are destroyed and much of the road is not really there. They had a brief glimmer of signal and were able to get a text message out before signal as lost.

Breathing a very big sigh of relief.

Thanks to all here. You have been so supportive and comforting!

• Like 32

My App State kid came home!   WHOOHOO!

We got a notice that if students could leave, they should.   They said that the resources need to remain for the students who can't leave and for the emergency personnel coming in to clean up and work on the area.   The main road near the school is closed down.  It was under 3' of water for a long time.   He had to go an alternate way as the road from there to here was closed.   It took him longer but he made it.   

Some of the professors have either lost their homes entirely or have badly damaged homes.   I think they will be remote for a while!

• Like 26

My cousins came and hauled all my mother's furniture to the curb. They emptied, cleaned and dried the garage and have piled all of the items that are to be kept there. Mom has moved in with her sister for the near future, and she will visit insurance office tomorrow hopefully to figure out her next move. Her neighbor across the street lost his brand new pickup truck; she said it's horn went off for about an hour until my cousin went over and helped him take the fuse out of it.

Many people came to check on her the last few days, so she's feeling fairly loved during this time of overwhelm. I feel so helpless here 4 states away. 

This isn't her house, but it's right down the street from her during high tide Thursday night.

May be an image of lighting

Edited by historically accurate
  • Like 11

Tonight our Main Street has street lights and traffic lights again. I dropped some items off at the community free pantry, and it is still moderately stocked, so that was good. I went a bit further than planned and found open the CVS, Subway, grocer, a dollar store, and 2 gas stations. So people can get some things they need.

It is weird to be in a small town surrounded by small towns and all of them get wildly different levels of damage. Ours is the worst we have seen it in the nearly 20 years we have been here. Town A to one side got maybe 40% of what we got. Town B to another got 10%. Town C got 70% but they usually get hit pretty bad due to proximity to waterways. I am amazed at the speed of restoration, and am sure that the lack of the rain we usually experience with a hurricane is why they could get it wrapped up so quickly. 

• Like 9

14 hours ago, Hyacinth said:

How is your sister? This may be late information, but I saw the Asheville Regional Airport has a Facebook page they’ve been updating with good info. 

Yes, we found that page a couple of days ago and it’s been most helpful! The latest flight she was scheduled for (this am) was delayed but not cancelled, so we are hopeful she gets back today. She finally reached some neighbors, and except for a tree down all seems to be well. Her car is at the airport and their FB page indicates there’s been no flooding there. She’s just praying she has enough gas in it to get home (and that the roads are open).  

• Like 13

They now think they haven’t even come close to an accurate death toll. We are about 1.5 hours away from Boone and 2 hours from Asheville. A friend of DD’s has been recruited for a team that is going in via horseback just to search and tag bodies around the chimney rock area. 

• Sad 26

14 minutes ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

They now think they haven’t even come close to an accurate death toll. We are about 1.5 hours away from Boone and 2 hours from Asheville. A friend of DD’s has been recruited for a team that is going in via horseback just to search and tag bodies around the chimney rock area. 

This is just heartbreaking. The pictures of Chimney Rock are mindboggling. It is practically as if that town never existed.

We vacationed last summer in Spruce Pine, and then did a lot of things in the region so we were in Asheville, Weaverville, Little Switzerland, Chimney Rock, many many places. So between that and worrying so much about Mark's cousins, this hits us in a really personal way even though we aren't from the area.

Love to all, and many hugs! Donations being made because it is our only avenue of assisting at this time.

• Sad 2

34 minutes ago, freesia said:

Liking because I agree.  I've been surprised that this hasn't been said more.  Just the scenes of the towns wiped out and houses floating away. . .

And I don't think we will have a tally for a while of folks who die indirectly from the disaster, but after rescue. Elderly and medically fragile folks trapped without enough water and possibly unable to get their meds, people with severe injuries who have been airlifted for treatment, but still won't make it, etc. Buncombe County Emergency Management had a notice on Saturday on their Facebook page that they would not be able to prioritize rescue of people with broken limbs, anyone who was currently having CPR performed, and anyone who was likely to bleed out. They had to save their energies and resources for injured, but likely to survive. It is going to be days, maybe weeks, before authorities identify everyone who died as a result of the storm. My guess is we will see a body count of at least 200, but given what happened in several small towns in the region, my guess is it could be right up there with Katrina, and that is so heartbreaking to even consider.

• Sad 8

This is so heartbreaking. This area is just so beautiful and definitely different than the kind of geography usually hit by a hurricane. We visited this area last summer and can see the back roads we were on- they’re just not there now. So many people are stuck up in the mountains with no roads to get down. Just so sad. I’m glad everyone on this thread is getting some good news. 

• Sad 8

Indirect deaths will also include the diabetics who had bad insulin from lack of cooling, people who had heart attacks from clearing trees, kidney patients who didnt make it to dialysis, etc. 😞 

My kid was at a competition this weekend where teams came from all over the US…one of the teams from outside Asheville is going to have a rough return. Like, some might not be able to meet with their families for a bit. 😞 They left pre-storm as checkin was Friday. When roads are gone, some of these little isolated places may not make it back. Counties are hampered by money and time and they will be lower on the priority list. 

• Sad 11

Operation Air Drop is a good place to support right now. Since we live so close, we are taking supplies to them to deliver to those who are trapped. ETA: I think you can donate to them and they will also purchase and deliver supplies as well. 

https://www.operation-airdrop.com/hurricane-helene

here is a list of what our base needs if anyone is in this area

mms.thumb.png.43c43374ed1029dd6ee5510d87e63ab3.png

Edited by Ann.without.an.e
  • Like 5

I have a young relative in Ashville. She is a hair stylist. The salon where she works has been completely destroyed. They have started a go fund me to raise money to repurchase all the tools they use. She managed to get out and drove home to her parents' place in N GA. 

Has anyone heard if there will be assistance for lost wages? She fortunately has a good support system with family, but so many don't. 

• Sad 6

We have family in Asheville that lost almost everything. My husband's extended family all come from there. Unfortunately, we are familiar with catastrophic destruction on the Gulf coast, but it never makes it easier.

Our thoughts are with everyone dealing with this. Words just can't express the nightmare.

• Sad 15

7 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

My guess is we will see a body count of at least 200, but given what happened in several small towns in the region, my guess is it could be right up there with Katrina, and that is so heartbreaking to even consider.

It makes me think of the Johnston flood, honestly. I think because it’s not coastal and involves small towns and tons of flash flooding that came so fast.

I don’t know how many of these places even really had much warning or safe ways to get out.

5 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Indirect deaths will also include the diabetics who had bad insulin from lack of cooling, people who had heart attacks from clearing trees, kidney patients who didnt make it to dialysis, etc. 😞 

I can’t imagine trying to survive the storm or the aftermath in fragile or vulnerable health (thinking of a relative in a power chair from MS and thankful she is at very low risk of flooding or being totally cut off from care).

4 minutes ago, TechWife said:

For anyone who making in kind donations & wants to donate baby formula, please consider buying the ready to use formula in bottles if possible. That will help stretch donated water.

With all the water treatment plants offline, potable water is gonna be a problem for a while. 

• Sad 2

21 minutes ago, TechWife said:

For anyone who making in kind donations & wants to donate baby formula, please consider buying the ready to use formula in bottles if possible. That will help stretch donated water.

First check the guidelines of whatever organization is handling distributing the donations. Many are saying no water, only powdered mixes. It depends on how they're transporting supplies in. Some organizations aren't able to handle the weight and volume of a lot of water and other liquids.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

The fatality count is way underreported. God have mercy. We just heard from our nextdoor neighbors-- a couple in their 70s who have a second home in Newland, NC. They stay there during the summer through fall. Population is 700. He told us local officials have confirmed 66 people have died. And that number will likely go up. That's 10 percent of that little town's population. He said the town will never be the same and that it was the worst storm they have ever experienced. We are just glad to know they are okay. This is all just incomprehensible. Please keep praying.

ETA #2  Newland is in Avery County. I am hoping the death toll is for the county rather than just Newland. Not that it makes a difference. I just want to make sure I am being as accurate as possible.

edit #3: I had dh read the text to me. Our neighbor said, "66 died just in our little town." He said they were lucky and had gotten their power back today, but he said that they had been told that some will be without power for up to 4 months.

Edited by popmom
  • Sad 15

21 minutes ago, popmom said:

The fatality count is way underreported. God have mercy. We just heard from our nextdoor neighbors-- a couple in their 70s who have a second home in Newland, NC. They stay there during the summer through fall. Population is 700. He told us local officials have confirmed 66 people have died. And that number will likely go up. That's 10 percent of that little town's population. He said the town will never be the same and that it was the worst storm they have ever experienced. We are just glad to know they are okay. This is all just incomprehensible. Please keep praying.

That’s an “everyone” knows someone who died number, and with 700 people, it’s probably more like everyone knows multiple dead people. How terrible.

If people want to pass this along through any channels possible to get people help, SBC mud-out teams are forming to deploy to these areas: 

image.thumb.png.3147742747d92504f09349cf2392269c.png

They are feeding people in Boone, NC right now if that is information that is helpful to friends and family.

I no longer attend an SBC church, but we have acquaintances who sacrifice a lot of vacation time and travel expenses to volunteer for these things. It is something they feel called to do, and I am grateful they have jobs that let them do it.

• Like 5