Menu

Site down?

lauraw4321

2 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

Sudden withdrawal was a little eye-opening. I may need more hobbies.

I read Reddit. The college DS19 attends has students not used to storms and flooding so there were interesting threads. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, lauraw4321 said:

Just came back for me.  I think we need a backup subreddit in case the worst happens. I was (surprisingly) sad.

I lurk so much more than I post but something about seeing that error screen made me feel a little adrift myself!  And this happened right after I had deleted Twitter and Facebook yet again from my phone!  Really need to pick those books back up instead...

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, kathyl said:

What is Reddit?  Is it like WTM or similar?

Reddit is also a forum based website like WTM. You can read without an account. For examples the Costco subreddit would have posts on sales and new products by the general public. My son's college subreddit have posts on things like classes being switch to online due to flooding, airfare sales, housing deals.

• Like 2

Just now, Arcadia said:

Reddit is also a forum based website like WTM. You can read without an account. For examples the Costco subreddit would have posts on sales and new products by the general public. My son's college subreddit have posts on things like classes being switch to online due to flooding, airfare sales, housing deals.

Thank you!  🙂 

11 minutes ago, kathyl said:

What is Reddit?  Is it like WTM or similar?

There are subreddits for pretty much every topic you can think of, and they each have their own moderators, so the general "culture" of a subreddit can vary from really helpful and supportive to really mean and nasty and everything in between. But the good ones can be really useful sources of info on very specific topics.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

There are subreddits for pretty much every topic you can think of, and they each have their own moderators, so the general "culture" of a subreddit can vary from really helpful and supportive to really mean and nasty and everything in between. But the good ones can be really useful sources of info on very specific topics.

Thanks!!  I will check it out.  🙂 

32 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Was down for more than 24 hours for me. So glad it’s back!

Same! I just now was able to get on, and it went out some time yesterday. Well, actually it may have been about 24 hours rather than more than.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, lauraw4321 said:

Was the site down for awhile for anyone else? Do we have a backup place to gather if something happens here? 😭🙏

It was down for me from yesterday afternoon until late this morning? 
I think about the backups everytime it's down. . . .
yes, "gatherine places" are good.  

• Like 1

For me, it seemed to be related to the log in process. I could see it in an open tab in Safari while I was logged in, but when I went to refresh the page, I got a blank screen. I tried using FireFox, and again I could see the forum landing page, but when I tried to log in I got a weird "prove you're human" page with an image of a car in a maze and had to put a dot where the end of the route was, and after I did that it seemed to be logging me in, but again I just got a blank page. Tried a 3rd time on my phone, same issue — I could see the forum until I tried to log in, then it went blank. And once I'd tried to log in, the blank page meant there was no way to log out so I couldn't even read it as a guest and see if there was any discussion of the issue or a work-around.

I was able (usually) to see the site using incognito mode but I couldn't log in and I couldn't use my normal bookmark that logs me in.

What was disturbing was the number of times that I found myself at the error page without being conscious of having clicked on the bookmark to get me there.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

And once I'd tried to log in, the blank page meant there was no way to log out so I couldn't even read it as a guest and see if there was any discussion of the issue or a work-around.

Clear your web browser cache. That was how I was able to read and realize people are probably having the same problem I had since the most recent threads were all “four hours ago” for example. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Clear your web browser cache. That was how I was able to read and realize people are probably having the same problem I had since the most recent threads were all “four hours ago” for example. 

I didn’t think it was likely a “clear your cache” issue since I couldn’t get in on multiple devices with different browsers, but I tried clearing my laptop just in case. But it didn’t help. I still got the same error message. On my phone I just got a blank screen. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I didn’t think it was likely a “clear your cache” issue since I couldn’t get in on multiple devices with different browsers, but I tried clearing my laptop just in case. But it didn’t help. I still got the same error message. On my phone I just got a blank screen. 

I meant if @Corraleno  clear her web browser cache, this forum website would automatically log her out. So she can view the forum as a guest. When I cleared my browser cache on my laptop and iPhone, I could read as a guest. If I log in to reply, I got the blank screen.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I meant if @Corraleno  clear her web browser cache, this forum website would automatically log her out. So she can view the forum as a guest. When I cleared my browser cache on my laptop and iPhone, I could read as a guest. If I log in to reply, I got the blank screen.

So you're saying it was up all along except to those of us who are members? I was a little lonely here and looked to see if anyone posted anything on the related FB pages. 

5 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

So you're saying it was up all along except to those of us who are members? I was a little lonely here and looked to see if anyone posted anything on the related FB pages. 

I was able to read the forum while logged out until yesterday evening before I slept (pacific time). This morning I didn't clear my cache to check and then the website was back up for me later. If you or @MercyA are on FB messenger, I could text you.

Anyway, you didn't miss anything because no one could post. I could only read what was already posted.

around 1pm PST - blank screen appeared. cleared cache and could read threads as guest

5:28pm to 5:31pm yesterday - could log in and replied two posts before getting the blank screen again.  cleared cache and read as guest

• Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

I was a little lonely here and looked to see if anyone posted anything on the related FB pages. 

Which FB pages did you look at?  I did a search yesterday and found a couple, but none had anything forum-related that I could see.  I was hoping to find some kind of FB WTM forum page.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Am I the only one who had to do a weird prove you’re a human captcha style thing (but not captcha) to get back in?

I had to do that once yesterday but got a blank screen after the captcha screen.