Menu

How are you going with Christmas shopping?

bookbard

I know it's only early November (and those from North America have still got Thanksgiving) but I'm sure I'm not the only one who has begun. I order stuff online because we're not near any decent shops, so I like to give myself a fair bit of time for things to arrive.

We do secret santa in our family so I only have one couple (new young couple - ordered a picnic basket still to come); one baby niece (peg dolls, sorted); my parents (Dad's books arrived, Mum's kickstarter is on its way, apparently . . .) and a few friends and neighbours (planting calendars, they all have green thumbs). 

For my own little family, everyone from Dad to youngest is getting a board game, books, t-shirts, and some kind of treat. About half of that has arrived. 

I usually buy myself a few Christmas gifts as otherwise there isn't anything much for me, but I can't think of anything I want. I will definitely load up my e-reader so I have lots to read on the day, though. 

So where are you up to? 

• Like 1

Christmas? What is Christmas? Denial here.

I have two things purchased and no desire to finish my Christmas list—there isn’t much I want that is just for me vs. the household.

I did start a not secret cross-stitch for a gift, and I made good progress before kind of losing track of time.

DH’s family has hinted at their plans, but of course they didn’t at all take into account that he often works holidays when decided when to come. We haven’t even looked to see what he’s working.

My parents are always flexible, but it’s not likely we’ll see the on any actual holiday.

• Like 1

I’m usually finished by now! But I’m having a hard time this year. October was crazy busy; my dad had a major heart attack a few weeks ago and I’ve been battling upper respiratory crud. I just can’t find the motivation. 

I’ve finished the presents for my nieces. I usually do photo calendars for all the adults in the extended family but ugh. I don’t want to make them. Don’t even get me started on my kids — we’ve hemorrhaged $$ recently, so I’m trying to keep the spending under control.

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Sad 5

We haven't gotten much yet. Still assembling ideas.

Each adult kid is going to get a gift that is around $50 value, and for the three plus daughter in law who are spending Christmas with us, they will get stockings. Dd and hubby and grandsons are hunkering down at home for Christmas after being gone last year, coming home through a blizzard from PA, and finding the pipes frozen. They just want a quiet Christmas at home, and I do not blame them. We are giving them another year of family membership to the Botanical Gardens. The little men will each have a book and small toy to open from us. All of the adult kids including honorary ones will get homemade cocoa mix, pancake mix, dried apples crisps, another jar of my peach salsa which turned out to be wildly popular, a loaf of banana bread, and a loaf of homemade bread. Though I want the breads into be super fresh, the reality is that I have way too much cooking and baking to do prepare for Christmas Eve Smorrebrod. So I am going to have to make them in advance and freeze them.

What I really need to get cracking on is a college graduation gift for our daughter in law. Commencement is Dec. 16. 

• Like 3

We are taking a big trip this year instead, but I'd still like to get a few small packable items for DS. I'll pick up grocery store gift cards when we're there and I have a few fun pairs of socks he'll love (silly socks are a tradition), but I'm not sure what else to do. I gave him my best idea when he came home briefly last month, because I couldn't wait any longer to give it to him, lol.

For DH I think I'll get him a pair of Loop noise cancelling earbuds. 

• Like 3

Our family is 23 plus one girlfriend..most of them have birthdays during this season. We start shopping in September and get the birthday gifts for  January and February done as well. (Costco is amazing for us for younger grands, and we tap into Amazon for the older grands if we need too.)

Our goal is to be done and wrapped before Thanksgiving. We are done shopping except for a few gift cards and will be wrapping soon.  December 1st or so I will order some holiday treat/cookies, for DH siblings on Amazon. We don’t do anything for siblings any longer…my family is just too big .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bookbard said:

Sorry to hear that. Can we help with ideas?

22 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

I’m sorry @Kassia. I wish it weren’t so for you. 

Thank you.  

I'll definitely post for help if there's anything anyone can do.  Too much to type out and I shouldn't derail the thread anyway.  But the short version is that I've come to hate Christmas and just look forward to it being over.  It's become exhausting and stressful and miserable for me.  I start getting depressed and anxious about it in October and then it just gets worse until January 1st arrives and the holiday season is over.  

• Sad 7

Nothing. It’s complicated, Christmas used to be my favorite holiday and now it just makes me sad, my kids don’t want much and don’t really have any ideas, DH doesn’t like any holidays and wouldn’t celebrate any if it was up to him, I don’t even know if or how we are getting together with family this year as we always do Christmas in the morning with all the family but with my sister in law having a foster daughter this year I don’t know if my in laws will want to go there or come here or what. My oldest struggles with routine disruptions so we always had both sets of grandparents and any aunts that were local come over in the morning, did all of Christmas by 10am, and then were done with gifts/extra people. No multiple celebrations throughout the day or travel. So I don’t have any idea how this will look.

I should start thinking about all of it though.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Going well!! Done with Oldest, Youngest and DH. Middle child still has a birthday later this month so I have to see what he gets 1st but he is easy he gives very clear prioritized lists with multiple price points.  My parents and good friends will get homemade Nutella liquer. DH takes care of his own family. A murder mystery role play game and snacks for BFF's family.   Cash for neices and nephews, siblings dont exchange gift.

I do a $50 gift(s) for each kid and that is it.  I don’t buy for extended relatives or even my “grandsons”.  Instead I try to do experiences through the year.

I want to keep it very low key.

we go to my brothers house and have a nice lunch and maybe play games but NO gifts.   So freeing.

• Like 1

I just got in a few sets of stickers ordered from Etsy, which are funny/cute but also very minor stocking stuffers, lol. 

I'm trying to make that my first focus, items that might need some time to come in. 

Second is looking for stuff for the five niblings, which I like to be inexpensive but fun or unusual. I will never beat the year I got $12 big squishmallows! 

My parents both had birthdays in the summer and are still waiting on gifts, so I'm a wee bit behind 😄

I have three gifts for my 10 yo (he also has a birthday right after Christmas to add to the fun), who will be fairly easy this year.  

The trouble is my older kids.  They are 15, 18, and 20.  15 yo will almost certainly provide with some ideas of things she'd like.  18 yo and 20 yo will both say, repeatedly, "I don't know, there's really nothing I want or need."  I'm thisclose to declaring that anyone over 18 from now on gets a flat cash gift and maybe a few fun/edible things and that's it. Honestly, they'd probably be fine with it, but it feels kind of scroogy to me to do that before they've fully moved out/gone independent.  

DH and I stopped exchanging gifts with each other and with my family several years ago, and that has been great.  We can just enjoy each other's company at the holidays.  DH's extended family, however,  is hanging on to the annual gift exchange with a death grip and every year our family gets some version of either (a) a blanket or (b) a board game and maybe some chocolate/edible stuff to go with, and we in turn give another family unit (a) a blanket or (b) a board game and some yummy edible stuff.  Neither DH nor I wish to participate anymore, but he's been reluctant to be the first one to drop out.  We are all in our 40s or older and comfortable financially and it's just getting so old to try to come up with novel (or not) gifts every year.  

Soon after we got married the in-laws declared no more presents. We were more than happy to comply. We don't get our kids any Christmas presents and now that DD5 realized she can write letters requesting things to grandma and grandpa I'm pretty sure they have a list of stuff from her. Don't worry we don't specifically get our children Christmas or Birthday presents, but we still spoil them. They have plenty of stuff.

Picked up an advent calendar, a few stocking stuffers, and a couple of books. 

DS has no idea what he wants. Neither does DH.

My extended family is difficult to buy for, but also gets very upset if they don't receive a gift. 🙄 Everyone is getting food and if they don't like it, better luck next year!

• Like 1

I started fairly early this year.  I’ve been buying things as I find them or if I find a great sale.  Today I went to a holiday craft/vendor market and found several things.  I’m feeling good about gifts this year because I’ve either bought or know what I’m going to buy for some of my hardest to buy for people.

My daughter visited in the spring, and I put several Christmas gifts in her luggage. A friend of my husband visited South Korea in late summer and kindly delivered several more gifts to her. I think my Christmas shopping for her is done (though a Kindle book or two might still be purchased).

I'm a big thrift store shopper, and I've picked up a number of gifts for my husband throughout the year. More shopping to do still.

I also have a few things for my sister, her husband, and my ex-sister-in-law/friend. Some more shopping to be done there.

I've made/am making bookmarks for my sister, her husband, and their adult children.

This year I'm no longer giving gifts to all the great-nieces and -nephews which is rather liberating. 

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Kassia said:

Super stressed, just like every year.  I have a very complicated family.  

8 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

Nothing. It’s complicated, Christmas used to be my favorite holiday and now it just makes me sad, my kids don’t want much and don’t really have any ideas, DH doesn’t like any holidays and wouldn’t celebrate any if it was up to him, I don’t even know if or how we are getting together with family this year as we always do Christmas in the morning with all the family but with my sister in law having a foster daughter this year I don’t know if my in laws will want to go there or come here or what. My oldest struggles with routine disruptions so we always had both sets of grandparents and any aunts that were local come over in the morning, did all of Christmas by 10am, and then were done with gifts/extra people. No multiple celebrations throughout the day or travel. So I don’t have any idea how this will look.

I'm sorry. Last year I couldn't cope with the family thing and we went away over Christmas. Had a quiet day at the beach instead. No big gatherings at all. So good. We are doing the same this year. I see my parents the week before, swap gifts (and leave secret santa with them) and that's done. I thought that we'd get a huge reaction last year when we ditched the family thing but they coped and it was so much better. 

• Like 2

Not a thought of any kind yet!

My older boys want cash and the usual stocking stuffers of underwear, socks, PJ bottoms, T-shirts, etc....

A is very easy to please.....a few Spiderman items and he is good.....although his birthday is also between now and Christmas.

We don't really do much for extended family.   I may send DH's mom a photo with a frame or something, and maybe a few dinners via DoorDash or something.

So, not a whole lot of thought yet.

• Like 1

Haven't even started. I've been so wrapped up in my own life and what's going on there that I can't seem to step out of it and remember what's going on with the world. My granddaughter's birthday is this month and I might have forgotten had I not just chatted with her and she was talking about the party she wanted.🤦‍♀️

I did get my granddaughters Christmas gifts ordered.  Working on what to get grandson.  DD just wants money for her Nintendo account and I will eventually get to Ulta or Sephora for one of their Advent sets for her.   I'm looking for a sale on electric blankets for adult married kiddos.  

Most of the time by this point I'm almost done. But I hadn't really started until yesterday. I already had a few small things I've picked up when I see good deals. But not much.

Yesterday, I did Amazon shopping for all my nieces and nephews, plus mil. That leaves my kids, fil and his husband, and a few friend for dh and me to figure out.

Dh and I aren't exchanging gifts this year since we have a bunch of stuff we're working through using and enjoying. We'll do a treat yourself day in March or so where we spend the whole day together enjoying each other's company and doing what we want without budget in mind for the most part

I managed to order a Christmas present yesterday. My mom is going to France for 3 months, leaving middle of December so she can spend Christmas with my sis and brother in law. Mom's wardrobe is old, very frumpy, and she doesn't like her clothes but also doesn't shop much and has to be conservative with her money. So every year for Christmas and birthday, I buy her a full outfit. I found an adorable blue (her favorite color) knit dress with embroidered daisies around the bottom (daisies are her favorite). It is cute and classic style, and will go very well with the beautiful cable knit pale grey cardigan I bought her last year. I purchased grey leggings to go with it since she doesn't wear dresses that fall at or above the knee without something under it. Since it will be cool on the Mediterranean (Sis is in Antibes just outside Nice/Cote d'Azur), the leggings will be a nice addition, and I got no show socks which she can wear with her walking shoes. I think she will like it. One year I bought her a black tunic dress/hundreds with flowers on it, and leggings plus a little contrasting shrug, and she was just over the moon for it. Sis said she wore it numerous times. Hopefully, I did okay with my choice. I am giving it to her right away so if it doesn't fit right or she doesn't like it, I can send it back and find something else before she leaves.

• Like 6

I’m almost done! I decided to quit agonizing over hard to buy for family members and just ordered some nice things for them today. I only have a couple of small gifts left to buy and some small treats for my daughter’s stocking. I always try to finish early because I get stressed out trying to pick the perfect gifts and then stress over whether they will get here in time. I’m glad to have the bulk of my shopping done!

• Like 1

I never start this early, in part because we are list people and no one has their list done.  But the other factor this year is finances. I don't know what we will be able to do. Plus we have several surgeries scheduled for early December.  It could very well be Amazon gift cards for all this year.

I'm starting my annual collection of (mostly) used books for my little family (husband, 2 kids) and one significant other. Other than my FIL and his new wife, and my sister-in-law, that's about all I buy for these days. IF I see something perfect, I might send my sister something. She has too many kids and grandkids for me to buy gifts for. 

I do give my kids other things but am having trouble with ideas for my son. My daughter is super easy. 

I also buy some family things, like a Christmas jigsaw puzzle, and this year, a Lego Christmas tree which will be available for assembly on Thanksgiving Day. Oh and some games, though my people are super picky and we haven't found too many games we all like. I keep trying though. 😉

Also I'm working on my gift to myself - my collection of Christmas mysteries which I like to read for the month of December, along with Advent books. 

Just to be clear, the significant other belongs to one of my kids. I dunno, I read it and thought 'would someone think I have a SO besides my husband?'

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, marbel said:

I'm starting my annual collection of (mostly) used books for my little family (husband, 2 kids) and one significant other. Other than my FIL and his new wife, and my sister-in-law, that's about all I buy for these days. IF I see something perfect, I might send my sister something. She has too many kids and grandkids for me to buy gifts for. 

I do give my kids other things but am having trouble with ideas for my son. My daughter is super easy. 

I also buy some family things, like a Christmas jigsaw puzzle, and this year, a Lego Christmas tree which will be available for assembly on Thanksgiving Day. Oh and some games, though my people are super picky and we haven't found too many games we all like. I keep trying though. 😉

Also I'm working on my gift to myself - my collection of Christmas mysteries which I like to read for the month of December, along with Advent books. 

Just to be clear, the significant other belongs to one of my kids. I dunno, I read it and thought 'would someone think I have a SO besides my husband?'

Marbel, I just figured there is no way a sane woman wants to manage two men and thought you picked up a wife for yourself, and if that was the case, BRAVO because that is exactly what we all need! 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

19 hours ago, Lynn in al said:

I did get my granddaughters Christmas gifts ordered.  Working on what to get grandson.  DD just wants money for her Nintendo account and I will eventually get to Ulta or Sephora for one of their Advent sets for her.   I'm looking for a sale on electric blankets for adult married kiddos.  

I’m not sure what a good sale price is, but kohls has a pretty good sale going on right now on stuff like this. I normally dislike their “never know what the real price is” model, but sometimes it works out and I really get a good deal. 

1 hour ago, mmasc said:

@marbel Ooooo…tell me more about these Christmas mysteries please! If they’re cozy and especially if they’re British, just go ahead and list links and/or titles please lol.

LOL. I started with A Christmas Party (original title Envious Casca) by Georgette Heyer, which is a fun British house party murder story which I read every couple of years.  Then I started looking for more. Mainly I look for books in the British Library Crime Classics group, or books written in that style.

Here is a list of what I remember or listed and having read or am going to read: (this list is in random order!)

Murder Most Festive - Ada Moncrief - published in 2021 but in the style of BLCC, I enjoyed this one and will reread.

Murder at the Theatre Royale - Ada Moncrief again - 2022, I haven't read this one yet.

The Santa Klaus Murder - Mavis Doriel Hay - part of BLCC, read, enjoyed, and will reread.

Mystery in White - J Jefferson Farjeon - part of BLCC, I thought this one was kinda weird and won't reread.

Murder in the Snow - Glady Mitchell - this is new to me.

Murder at the Old Vicarage - Jill McGown - new to me.

Portrait of a Murderer- Anne Meredith - BLCC, new to me. 

There are others that I've forgotten, so they were unremarkable. A lot of current cozy series authors have Christmas mysteries in their collection; I have found most of those to be hit or miss.  

I used to read Dickens' A Christmas Carol every year, and still read that every few years, but these are just for fun. 

• Like 1