Menu

Light weekend topic - what’s your skin care regimen?

Grace Hopper

This has been a week full of heavy stuff, nationally and right here in our forums. Let’s talk about something lighter!

Pre pandemic, c2018, I was pretty satisfied with the skin care regimen I had going (and still kind of piecemeal practice). I let good habits lapse with the challenges of the past few years, and I’m ready to get back on the bandwagon. I suppose I’m at the age where anti-aging products; my skin is a little sensitive and a little on the dry side during the cold months.  

Please share your regimens and favorite products & tools for taking care of your skin, on your face, décolleté, hands and feet. Whatever makes you feel good! Also, I need to shake up my cosmetic bag, too, so share about your make up favorites as well!

Menopause took away my acne, yay!

So my current skin care regimen is:  whenever I take a shower, I wash my face with Aveeno face wash and then put on Aveeno moisturizer.  That's it.  🙂

Not saying my skin is nice ... I look my age, and I'm fine with that.

• Like 3

I wash my face with a washcloth and mild soap every morning, and then use cream on it and my neck.  The creams I rotate between depending on how dry things seem are:

Jan Marini Rejuvenation

Jan Marini Juveneck (a little thicker)

Cerave Daily Moiturising Lotion

PCA SilkCoat Balm, which I no longer have a source for

I have rosacea and extremely sensitive skin, and these products, plus Lancôme ones, are the ones that I’ve used for a long time without getting sensitized to.

• Like 1

I moisturize with coconut oil before my shower, wipe with a hot washcloth at the end of my shower and pat dry.  Once a week or so I exfoliate with scrubby facewash.

That's about it. In the winter I may use some extra coconut oil after my shower because it gets windy/many indoor places have hot, dry air.  No acne, and the oil before shower routine helps loosen the dirt while still keeping my skin moisturized and not stripping it, which puts me into a cycle of clean/too dry -> producing too much oil -> clean/too dry ->....

• Like 2

I clean my face (am & pm) with Burt's Bees micellar water and then wipe over with a toner.  Right now my toner is by Farmacy.   I'll switch to BBs when it runs out.   Right now, I put on a moisturizer/sunscreen I got from the dermatologist.  They gave me a ton of samples and I'm trying to use them all up before I get the moisturizer I want (again, Burt's Bees).   At night, I put on my rosacea cream.    I've never been one to take care of my skin, but now I'm mid 40's and I need to.    I only use cruelty-free products for face/skin/body care and Burt's Bees is good for my sensitive skin so I plan to stick with it.   Plus it's not pricey, which is a nice bonus.  

• Like 1

I still swear by Dr. Bronnner’s plain Castile soap. I think it’s labeled Baby? Gentle and effective.  Putting a filter on our well water has improved all of my skin.

Cerave pm moisturizer is my new favorite thing. I did get the AM, too, but I’m pale enough without its white sunscreen added. I got a tinted sunscreen instead, but I’d still like to find a sunscreen that is neither white nor tinted.

I started doing a vitamin C serum in the morning and retinol serum at night, but only on certain areas because I got a laser treatment less than 2 weeks ago.

If affordable, I totally recommend laser for rosacea and/or broken blood vessels and/or enlarged pores. 10 minutes of torture (for me), and well over a week to see the real results, but fully worth the results I got after 1 treatment. The spot I’ve been extremely self-conscious about for YEARS is 99% gone for $150.  YEARS!!! (And the rest of the area is nice, too, BUT THAT SPOT!!!!)

Anyway, not skipping that night wash is definitely my biggest rule.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, SKL said:

So my current skin care regimen is:  whenever I take a shower, I wash my face with Aveeno face wash and then put on Aveeno moisturizer.  That's it.  🙂

Not saying my skin is nice ... I look my age, and I'm fine with that.

Pretty much the same for me.  I use some kind of mild face wash in the shower, then use Olay active hydrating lotion after my shower on my face.  I use Jergen's body lotion with shea butter or a scented bath and body works lotion on my body after showering.  At night, I use some kind of drugstore nighttime facial moisturizer - usually Palmer's or Neutrogena.  And I use lotion on my hands before bed too - the Jergen's body lotion with shea butter is my favorite.  

I'd love for my skin to look better but I am too cheap to spend more than I am now.  

• Like 1

I wash my face morning and night with Paula's Choice. In the morning I moisturize with Olay Regenerst (?) and at night I use Olay with retinol. Every day in summer or if I'm going to be outside much in winter I use Glossier sunblock on my face/neck and Neutrogena sunblock on the rest of my exposed skin. On lips I always use Burt's Bees and on winter hands I use CeraVe cream (I don't need to moisturize my skin in summer).

For makeup I like Glossier and Thrive Causemetics mostly. 

• Like 1

I use Cerave cleansing balm to

take off makeup and then Trader Joe's cleanser to take off the oily sheen/stuff the balm doesn't get.   Then I moisturize with the nighttime Cerave cream in the little tub/canister. Daytime I use mostly Cerave (or knockoff) moisturizer.   I also use a Korean (?) pore minimizer recommended by the podcaster Jamie B. Golden on one of her skincare deep. dives. It's like the Paula's choice stuff but much less expensive.

• Like 1

My skin is dry mostly due to being post menopausal. 

Shower -

Dove bar soap. It was recommended by my dermatologist to help with my dry skin. After showering while my skin is still damp I use CeraVe Moisturizing Cream (comes in a tub/jar) on my driest areas - mainly my shins and forearms. This too was recommended by my dermatologist.

Facial skin care-

Morning - Wash the nighttime stuff off with CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser. I then use CeraVe Vitamin C serum, Neutrogena Hydro-boost gel, and CeraVe Daily Moisturizing Lotion for normal to dry skin. Sunscreen varies but I currently have LaRoche-Posay tinted mineral sunscreen 50 SPF and Neutrogena Invisible Daily Defense Lotion 60 SPF. The latter most definitely has a sunscreen smell so I'm not sure if I'll buy more when it's gone. Daily sunscreen is a must where I live and I'm always looking for a favorite face sunscreen. I can't say that I found The One. I just use whatever we have in the house on my exposed forearms.

Night - I usually shower at nigh so that's when I cleanse my face. If I'm wearing makeup I double cleanse with Clinique Take the Day Off and CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser. If not I just  use the CeraVe. It does a good job getting the sunscreen off and I'd rather save the expensive Clinique for when I really need to double cleanse. Lotions are Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair and Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair Eye, followed by CeraVe PM Moisturizing Lotion.

As you can see I use a mix of pricey and drugstore items but I'm happy with this regimen. It's easy enough that I don't blow it off yet I see a difference when I use everything consistently.

ETA: I was using trentinoin that I got from the dermatologist but I really didn't see results and decided the cost wasn't worth it.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 2

I love the products made by an Etsy seller called Unearth Malee. I use her olive oil soap, body butters, lotion bars, and lip balms. Everything she makes is vegan, cruelty free, no chemical preservatives or synthetic fragrances.

Andalou Naturals is my favorite for face moisturizer and BB cream with sunscreen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Am & PM:  CeraVe SA wash, Eczema Honey Witch Hazel & Honey spray (as toner), CeraVe PM face lotion 

A couple times a week: CeraVe Resurfacing retinol. I also sometimes add Badger Balm Rose Beauty Balm after moisturizer, if I feel like it. It’s very heavy, so it’s better (for me) in the winter (it’s a waxy balm).

I just ordered the Resist BHA from Paula’s Choice so I’ll be giving it a try.  I love skincare stuff, so I’m never content, but I have to be careful because I’ve become sensitive to certain things as I’ve aged. Used to be oily/acne prone but now I’m more combo/dry and sensitive. I recently ordered the Eight Saints sample kit (after seeing tempting ads) but wasn’t impressed with anything. Drying and highly fragranced (smelled like lemon cleaning product). 

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 1

The one product I consistently use is sunscreen—Elta MD tinted.

For washing my face, usually Lush Montalbano lemon shampoo or Pink Vitabath body soap.

I don’t wear makeup but for dry skin Lush’s Lime & Coconut lotion called Lime Bounty, I think.

I also think it’s important to wear good quality sun glasses to protect eyes from UV damage.

• Like 1

I am old and am dealing with aging skin.

Morning: The Ordinary Copper Peptides Buffet, the Cerave Daily Moisturizing/sunscreen

Evening shower: wash with Dove, followup with Cerave PM Lotion

2x per week in evening -- The Ordinary Retinol 1%

5x per week -- red light/infrared light for 10 minutes

I used to take collagen for my skin, but eventually figured out that even if I take it at 6am it gives me insomnia

• Like 3

I use Origin brand. I rotate which face wash and moisturizers I use. I only wash my face in the evening, just rinse my face with cold water in the morning. I would like to be better about applying moisturizer but it only happens once or twice a week. I have been blessed with great skin, even during the teenage years. I seldom wear sunscreen. I know I should, but I detest it and I struggle with low vitamin d. I do get skin cancer checkups. 
Several years ago, a friend of mine started a soap and lotion business. She isn’t selling online anymore, as she has had some life changes, but she still makes bath items as a hobby. I absolutely love her products. It is such a fun treat to decide which bar to use next. 

• Like 1

Sensitive, dry skin with lots of eye reaction lotion sensitivities ….

Because of this, I’m resigned to this simple routine:

Warm wash cloth/oil cleanse.

Ceramedex moisturizer in the small pump bottle.

A bit of Vaseline under eyes and cheeks.

Badger Balm sport sunblock in the round tin. 

Mustela lotion for hands. 
Coco butter balm for lips. 

• Like 1

I used to love trying all the latest and greatest skincare and my skin was always happy and healthy.  Then COVID hit. The continuous mask wearing, stress and possibly perimenopause gave me a case of perioral dermatitis I have been fighting for several years.  I tried every cream, pill and supplement under the sun both RX and OTC and finally in the past few months found something, that while I am not completely healed, has made it at least not burning, itchy, red and oozy all the time.  Turns out Cerave hydrating facewash and then spraying with some random teatree/aloe/etc moisturing spray I got online is something my face can tolerate and has let it heal.  I was sure I was going to be miserable when I tried this because I always thought I had dry skin, but after the first day or two, everything seemed to normalize out. The price of only two inexpensive items certainly beats the heck out of the $90 (with insurance) cream I was using with no relief.

Long winded way of saying sometimes simple is best.

Edited by OakParkOwlets
spelling is hard
  • Like 1

Mid30s, normal skin, no acne, in FL, makeup most days.

For nearly a decade I have used and loved Acure cream cleanser, brightening face scrub, and argan oil. Cleanser daily, scrub 1-3 times a week, oil at night.

Daytime, I use Neutrogena dry touch facial sunscreen, Ordinary hyaluronic acid moisturizer, and an eye cream (currently rotating Lancome and Andalou).

I started Good Molecules gentle retinol cream on my fine lines about 8 weeks ago, and I have an Ordinary AHA/BHA peel I use occasionally.

For eye makeup removal, I use Neutrogena or Lancome.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for all you’ve shared!

I feel validated hearing a number of you mention CeraVe and Lancôme products, I have found them to work well for me in the past and perhaps I should stick with some of the things are tried and true. 

I’d like to also try some of the things mentioned throughout the thread. I really do appreciate all the info you’ve all put into this thread!

• Like 1

Any chance you can find a trusted place for a facial? I found an esthetician almost a year ago that I go to every 5-7 weeks. She has helped me build a morning and evening skin care routine that has changed as my skin has changed (ie post hysterectomy, etc).  I have never been complimented on my skin in my life - most importantly I am happier than I’ve ever been with my skin, but I’m also complimented several times a week on it now. It’s more $ than some of the items mentioned here, but zero wasted money on things that didn’t work out for me. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, footballmom said:

Any chance you can find a trusted place for a facial? I found an esthetician almost a year ago that I go to every 5-7 weeks. She has helped me build a morning and evening skin care routine that has changed as my skin has changed (ie post hysterectomy, etc).  I have never been complimented on my skin in my life - most importantly I am happier than I’ve ever been with my skin, but I’m also complimented several times a week on it now. It’s more $ than some of the items mentioned here, but zero wasted money on things that didn’t work out for me. 

That’s a neat idea! When I was a young career woman, I did have a facial every now and then. But then that line item had to fall off the budgets (both time and money).

I think maybe I’ll do a little googling and see what my local options may be. Do you ever get a hard press for buying products or up selling on treatments? How often would I have to plan to go for results without it being excessive!

Also a question for everyone - do you have a simple one gua sha routine? I use one when I remember but I need a quick video to use on the regular. Does it make a difference whether to use morning or evening?

1 hour ago, Grace Hopper said:

That’s a neat idea! When I was a young career woman, I did have a facial every now and then. But then that line item had to fall off the budgets (both time and money).

I think maybe I’ll do a little googling and see what my local options may be. Do you ever get a hard press for buying products or up selling on treatments? How often would I have to plan to go for results without it being excessive!

Also a question for everyone - do you have a simple one gua sha routine? I use one when I remember but I need a quick video to use on the regular. Does it make a difference whether to use morning or evening?

No hard sell at all.  I have bought three or four things she recommended / they sell, but she started with a starter pack that was super reasonable $ so I could confirm I liked the products and that they agreed with my skin day to day. She also gives me samples for things, so there’s a longer try before I buy as we change some things around. 

I am sure going monthly would be amazing. Depending on your current skin condition, your goals and your budget, you could talk through a plan for how often you should go. Some places will do better pricing if you buy a certain amount of facials at one time.  Oh, and all treatments aren’t the same: hydrofacials, microdermabrasion, etc - ask what different types of facials they offer to confirm your person will be able to customize to you. There is no one size fits all in this scenario!

• Like 1

In the last year or two I’ve tried about everything. I’m 52 and post menopausal with the driest possible skin. Cerave pm is my go to as well after all the experimenting. But I layer it on, Let it dry, layer again. I just can’t find anything that quenches the dryness. I’ve tried oils, creams, fancy, cheap. Vaseline sometimes too. 
I did order a red light mask. Fingers crossed! I have clear skin, but more wrinkles than usual for my age due to the dry skin. I’ve always been good about sunscreen and hats. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Toocrazy!! said:

In the last year or two I’ve tried about everything. I’m 52 and post menopausal with the driest possible skin. Cerave pm is my go to as well after all the experimenting. But I layer it on, Let it dry, layer again. I just can’t find anything that quenches the dryness. I’ve tried oils, creams, fancy, cheap. Vaseline sometimes too. 
I did order a red light mask. Fingers crossed! I have clear skin, but more wrinkles than usual for my age due to the dry skin. I’ve always been good about sunscreen and hats. 

The biggest help for skin dryness for me was changing my diet - no partially-hydrogenated fats, heavy on omega 3 fats, light on omega 6 fats, got rid of most sugar, lots of vegetables.

As for the red light mask, have fun with it! I figure if nothing else I enjoy my few minutes of relaxing with it on. Yeah, mine has straps and all so I could actually maybe accomplish something while wearing it, but why? Why not just spend a few minutes quietly contemplating that maybe the cat has the right idea, and you should wrap yourself in a slightly warm, glowy thing just because it feels luxurious (sometimes the cat sits on me while I'm using it, and I have sometimes wrapped her in it to give her a turn).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toocrazy!! said:

Consider trying this!

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/cerave-anti-aging-skin-renewing-night-face-cream-with-hyaluronic-acid/ID=300403254-product

I originally (YEARS ago) used the CeraVe PM, then found the cream in the tub (which I still use head-to-toe and LOVE). Then, I discovered this CeraVe cream and now use it for nighttime in the winter. It’s thick, creamy, and sinks right in to the skin. No fragrance, stinging ingredients,  or anything to upset my skin. It feels so good on dry skin. Also, apply it when your skin is just slightly damp from cleansing and it works even better. All 3 CeraVe moisturizers are good, I just found I needed something thicker than the PM for my skin. 

Edited by mmasc
Links
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Off tangent but for those of you mentioning omega 3/6, a good way to check that ratio is with an omega-3 index test. Improving the o-3 index leads to better health in many ways. It is quite astounding actually.

It’s a simple diy finger prick test that you send in to get analyzed.

Everyone in my family gets one for Christmas and then does the finger poke around New Year’s Day repeating around June 1st if the January results were not optimal.

We get the $80 test but they also sell one for $50 that has less info. These are the same tests that Life Extension sells, btw, in case you see it on their site.

https://omegaquant.com/omega-3-index-plus/

• Like 2

Re Cerave: I was using it and I liked it but I confess it felt good when my dermatologist recommended it. I go to a medical dermatology practice not one that's trying to sell you procedures, so hearing it from them made me realize you don't need expensive high end products to get results. I do like Estee Lauder night repair though. It's the only skin care product I spend extra money on.

@Toocrazy!! I hear you on the post menopausal dry skin! I started paying attention to how much water I drink and it helped. I'm not sure it's a battle that can be won though. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, mmasc said:

Consider trying this!

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/cerave-anti-aging-skin-renewing-night-face-cream-with-hyaluronic-acid/ID=300403254-product

I originally (YEARS ago) used the CeraVe PM, then found the cream in the tub (which I still use head-to-toe and LOVE). Then, I discovered this CeraVe cream and now use it for nighttime in the winter. It’s thick, creamy, and sinks right in to the skin. No fragrance, stinging ingredients,  or anything to upset my skin. It feels so good on dry skin. Also, apply it when your skin is just slightly damp from cleansing and it works even better. All 3 CeraVe moisturizers are good, I just found I needed something thicker than the PM fo

This is the night cream I use.   I also love it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Serenade said:

Which vitamin C serum do you use?

I use Obagi. I used to buy it at the dermatologist’s office, but I found out that periodically Zulily carries it (they rotate products, and I signed up to be notified when they have it). It’s a bit less through Zulily.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

Re Cerave: I was using it and I liked it but I confess it felt good when my dermatologist recommended it. I go to a medical dermatology practice not one that's trying to sell you procedures, so hearing it from them made me realize you don't need expensive high end products to get results. I do like Estee Lauder night repair though. It's the only skin care product I spend extra money on.

@Toocrazy!! I hear you on the post menopausal dry skin! I started paying attention to how much water I drink and it helped. I'm not sure it's a battle that can be won though. 

I remember the Estée Lauder clear under eye gel and used it consistently through the early 90’s. I loved it! But it dropped off the budget when we got aggressive about saving for our first house. Is it still the same clear gel in a little jar? I might have to go get some!

Like Lady Florida I find drinking more water makes a huge difference. As well as quality fats in foods. When I remember to take my EFA supplements those also seem to help with dryness (most noticeably my eyes). My diet also makes a big difference - too much dairy and my face breaks out. I really notice this when dh brings home half n half for his coffee and I use that for a week or so     instead of the oat or coconut creamer I usually use. My skin looks best when I am compliant with what I know is best for my gut.

@mmascdo you use this linked CeraVe night cream on your neck, too? That’s a part of me that needs more moisture. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

I remember the Estée Lauder clear under eye gel and used it consistently through the early 90’s. I loved it! But it dropped off the budget when we got aggressive about saving for our first house. Is it still the same clear gel in a little jar? I might have to go get some!

This is it. https://www.esteelauder.com/product/685/104163/product-catalog/skincare/eye-cream-treatment/advanced-night-repair-eye-supercharged-gel-creme/synchronized-multi-recovery-eye-cream 

It's not cheap but such a small amount is used so it last a long time.

27 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Yep I bet that’s the latest and greatest version of that stuff - and yes, I remember being surprised that such a small container could go a long way. 

Are you ever able to pick it up on sale?

22 hours ago, OakParkOwlets said:

. The continuous mask wearing, stress and possibly perimenopause gave me a case of perioral dermatitis

For mask wearing, applying baby aquaphor (or any thick moisturizer you like) on the face and behind the ears  before wearing help my teens and I with dermatitis at the mask edges and behind the ears. I have always had dermatitis and eczema so can’t blame menopause for that.

13 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

Yep I bet that’s the latest and greatest version of that stuff - and yes, I remember being surprised that such a small container could go a long way. 

Are you ever able to pick it up on sale?

Macy’s before Christmas promotions for Estée Lauder. The night repair series is always part of the promo. Estée Lauder online would usually have similar sale at the same time as Macy’s. I alternate between Estée Lauder’s night repair face cream and L’occitane’s Immortelle Precious Cream.

• Thanks 1