Menu

Christmas songs you DO like

Indigo Blue

16 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

This is my most favorite Christmas song

We’re singing in on Christmas choir this year and when I get to the third verse I choke up every. Single. Time. Hoping I can get through it on performance day.

I love this one too. One of my kids sang in the children’s choir part when younger. It was my beautiful.  Somehow the song is more powerful to me without the imagery in this video. 

14 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

But for just plain fun Christmas music, I’m loving Rend Collective’s album from last year. Christmas in Killarney is one we love and my dd17 can play it on her violin.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGXQK3aC61FSXr58qpXkQgUPx409ct4h5

Thanks for this! I haven’t heard this recent album and it sounds like a fun one for this year.

So...I'm one who actually walked out of a store when "Drummer Boy" was played one year. That and another one which I shall not mention mean that when it comes to Christmas/holiday songs, I am a real Scrooge. Finding anything I can tolerate is, um, challenging. However.....my brother played the Bare Naked Ladies holiday album for me years ago and it remains my favorite. That and Toolbox Christmas are what keep me sane when music is played everywhere that I can't stand. 🙂

O Come, All Ye Faithful, on the other hand, is my favorite Christ-mas song for sure. Even a child, I remember wanting to be counted among the faithful, joyful and triumphant. Performed with trumpets, it seems like a song of victory - I just love it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BakersDozen said:

So...I'm one who actually walked out of a store when "Drummer Boy" was played one year. That and another one which I shall not mention mean that when it comes to Christmas/holiday songs, I am a real Scrooge. Finding anything I can tolerate is, um, challenging. However.....my brother played the Bare Naked Ladies holiday album for me years ago and it remains my favorite. That and Toolbox Christmas are what keep me sane when music is played everywhere that I can't stand. 🙂

O Come, All Ye Faithful, on the other hand, is my favorite Christ-mas song for sure. Even a child, I remember wanting to be counted among the faithful, joyful and triumphant. Performed with trumpets, it seems like a song of victory - I just love it.

I love The Bare Naked Ladies and didn’t know they had a holiday album.  Thanks!

• Like 1

This one is a long time favorite of mine - 

All is Well

This  is on Michael W Smith’s new Christmas EP - Freeze the Frame - it isn’t just a Christmas song, really. It will probable become a classic to me. Get your Kleenex ready. 

However - this is my all time favorite - 

O Come, O Come Emmanuel 

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TechWife said:

However - this is my all time favorite - 

O Come, O Come Emmanuel 

Mine too.  I really like the choir as well.  They're in my collection.

I like the Piano Guys musical version.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 3

I am a traditionalist when it comes to Christmas music.  I am not even religious, but choral music is my favorite.  During the holiday week there is absolutely nothing better than a huge mug of hot tea, a fluffy blanket, LOTS of candles, working on the annual Christmas puzzle next to the tree (a REAL tree with only all white lights because.....traditionalist) with choral Christmas music playing.  It is very dark and snowy in winter where I live and there is just this timeless feeling of voices in dark and cold stone buildings/churches/abbeys that seems to plant a feeling of warmth and connection to times past as the wind howls and snow hits the dark windows.   But if I have to deviate, 1940s will do.  Those teleport me to busy train stations, smokey and festive urban apartments, and basically all things "It's a Wonderful Life" and (the original) "Miracle on 34th Street."   Anything pop by any artist after 1970 is an abomination.  My family teases me mercilessly because normally we are always finding and adding brand new music of all genres to our play lists.  This stubborn close-mindedness is uncharacteristic of me.  They do generally let me "win" 2/3 of the time.  They save the Mariah Carey for when I am not home, thank goodness!

This one if hands' down my favorite:  

• Like 2

Weirdly, Jethro Tull put out a Christmas album in 2003, I think. It's available on Spotify. It's everything you would expect from them. Bittersweet and somewhat melancholy, but some nice jazzy versions of traditional carols, as well as their own stuff. It's a nice break from the 1960's Christmas stuff that can be hard to get away from. (I'm ok with the 1960's Christmas stuff, but it gets overplayed imho.)

7 minutes ago, knitgrl said:

Weirdly, Jethro Tull put out a Christmas album in 2003, I think. It's available on Spotify. It's everything you would expect from them. Bittersweet and somewhat melancholy, but some nice jazzy versions of traditional carols, as well as their own stuff. It's a nice break from the 1960's Christmas stuff that can be hard to get away from. (I'm ok with the 1960's Christmas stuff, but it gets overplayed imho.)

Not technically a Christmas song, but we often put this one on our holiday playlists:

11 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

Alan Jackson Let It Be Christmas album

Kenny G Miracles album

And this beautiful performance. Just beautiful. I’m partial to the horn because older son played the horn in high school. 

Oh I like that Alan Jackson song too.

I also like Old Toy Trains by Roger Miller and Christmas Time’s A-Comin’ by Bill Monroe. 

• Like 1

My favorite fun Christmas song is "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" by Brenda Lee (and only Brenda's version). 

I love a lot of Christmas hymns and can't think of a true favorite, but I love Vanessa Williams' version of "What Child is This"

Edited by marbel

2 minutes ago, TechWife said:

That’s a pretty version!

Theres nothing like a choir! Choral music is just lovely. 

without brass . . . . 

The one I listen to most, is The Messiah.

One year the choir I was singing with did "out of the Orient crystal skies"  - I've listened to a lot of versions online, and this is the one I like the best.  and yes, not polished.

I also enjoy really old Christmas songs  (re: Veni veni Emmanuel - it dates to the 9th century)

On this day Earth shall ring (PERSONENT HODIE)  

• Like 1

5 year old's favorite two songs are Jesus Loves Me and Rudolph.    We are on day 372 of singing both songs nightly.  Yup, you heard me.....Rudolph is requested every.single.night since LAST year around this time.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, DawnM said:

5 year old's favorite two songs are Jesus Loves Me and Rudolph.    We are on day 372 of singing both songs nightly.  Yup, you heard me.....Rudolph is requested every.single.night since LAST year around this time.

This reminds me of the year we had to sing Rubby Ducky every single time we got in the car. All three verses. Loudly. With feeling.

DS was about 2.5 and would fall apart without the distraction of the song. 

Edited by Garga

• 4 weeks later...

Celine Dion's Christmas album is my all-time favorite. I believe she does best most of the traditional carols and hymns. We also enjoy the albums from Casting Crowns, David Crowder, Jewel, and Faith Hill. 

Another I love that I have discovered in the last few years that is not on one of those is Be Born in Me by Francesca Batistelli. 

Ukrainian Bell Carol, the Bach Prelude in C/Ave Maria, and anything Christmas by the Piano Guys. I really enjoy playing their arrangements, and have a local cellist to play with. Their arrangements are easy enough for both of us that we can sight read them and it doesn't take much time to pull them together, very enjoyable.

Other than that, I adore Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas for the harmonies. Our whole family sings parts so we belt it out a cappella which is so much fun. Silver Bells is another one we like. Middle son who speaks Danish has been trying to teach us some Danish Carols as well. It is a ridiculous language for my tongue, and I am hopeless at it.