Menu

I might have to get off FB

Scarlett

DIL23 posted a meme that says   'Divorce is ok,   Breaking up is ok, starting over is ok, moving on is ok, saying no is ok, being alone is ok. What is not OK is staying somewhere where you aren't happy, valued appreciated.'

And she circle the word divorce in red.  

SMH.

• Sad 19

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Scarlett said:

DIL23 posted a meme that says   'Divorce is ok,   Breaking up is ok, starting over is ok, moving on is ok, saying no is ok, being alone is ok. What is not OK is staying somewhere where you aren't happy, valued appreciated.'

And she circle the word divorce in red.  

SMH.

I don’t get why people put that kind of thing on Facebook.  I guess they’re addicted to drama??   

• Like 6

Oh no. I am so sorry. Even if it's just attention-seeking behavior, it doesn't bode well. 

Still, people can grow up and change. Hopefully she does so and doesn't do anything foolish.

ETA: Okay, I see it may be in support of a friend. Still, I don't get posting about this stuff publicly.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 4

I can't handle over-sharing on FB any more. More and more, I'm tending to think social media is pernicious. Just unfollow DIL but stay friends - then she won't know but you don't have to see. Or just spend less time on FB - I gave up.posting there a few months ago, and I basically only like photos of babies or little kid relatives. Sometimes a meme or a comment. But I have most of my extended family unfollowed.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, OH_Homeschooler said:

Could it be a post in support of a friend who is going through something?

Oh sure.  Probably is.  But it is a constant stream of such ridiculous stuff. I mean, at least she isn't posting conspiracy QAnon garbage like her step dad but still very annoying. And one time she posted 'Everything I posted isn't some big thing going on with me.'   So I guess basically ignore everything she posts.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

I can't handle over-sharing on FB any more. More and more, I'm tending to think social media is pernicious. Just unfollow DIL but stay friends - then she won't know but you don't have to see. Or just spend less time on FB - I gave up.posting there a few months ago, and I basically only like photos of babies or little kid relatives. Sometimes a meme or a comment. But I have most of my extended family unfollowed.

That is what I did.  But then I get bored and think, oh I wonder if there is a pic of the baby....and go there to find junk like this.

• Like 1

Just now, Scarlett said:

That is what I did.  But then I get bored and think, oh I wonder if there is a pic of the baby....and go there to find junk like this.

I have one person whose kid pics I like (and it's important to me to show distance 💕 for but everything else is cringe) and I've trained myself to scroll past the cringe stuff. I just don't read it at all. Skim, skim, skim. Not worth the aggravation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Melissa Louise said:

I have one person whose kid pics I like (and it's important to me to show distance 💕 for but everything else is cringe) and I've trained myself to scroll past the cringe stuff. I just don't read it at all. Skim, skim, skim. Not worth the aggravation.

Man you have great self control!!!

• Like 1

Oh sure.  Probably is.  But it is a constant stream of such ridiculous stuff. I mean, at least she isn't posting conspiracy QAnon garbage like her step dad but still very annoying. And one time she posted 'Everything I posted isn't some big thing going on with me.'   So I guess basically ignore everything she posts.

Yeah, there are some people who seem to post any random thing without considering how it might be interpreted. I tend to mute over-posters. And I've been slowly distancing myself from FB in general. I do a quick check-in daily, I like some random posts, and get off. Last year, there was so much ignorance being posted while I was laid off and had too much time on my hands, and I got into so many pointless arguments. I took the app off my phone, which has made it a lot more inconvenient for me to check in at all. It has really helped a lot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Scarlett said:

Man you have great self control!!!

As you well know from here, I don't! 😂

But it was either that or deal with daily feelings of aggravation. Honestly, I think we'd all be better off without any of it - FB, Twitter, Insta...life went off the rails post message boards and blogs. 

• Like 6

I don't know why I bother looking for pics of the baby anyway.  She posts one pic of the baby for 100 stupid memes.

Well, I can understand that you wish to see the baby. I would too. But it's probably not worth the 99 memes. 

Maybe unfollow her or mute her or whatever, but once a month go to her page and do a quick scroll for bub. 

• Like 4

When my FB friends share stuff I don’t want to see, I will block the original site, that way I don’t have to see the next time. It is not even controversial stuff necessarily. One person constantly shares recipes from several sources. I block everyone she shares from.

• Like 7

Blocking the original sites is a good idea.  I'd unfriend her entirely and let your DH ask his son for a photo via text now and again.  Life is too short for this sort of drama seeking nonsense.  It sounds like she could use some mental health care but that doesn't mean you need to get sucked in.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

If you are married, and posting a meme that says 'Divorce is ok' it tends to make people think you might be getting a divorce. 

Or, that you just are supporting people who have been in bad, perhaps abusive marriages, and are divorced. So what? 

Same with the job one - what is so terrible about it?

What some says is oversharing, others call being open. It's a different way to do social media than you do, but it's not obectively wrong or immoral. 

Now, the blocking one is silly, no need to brag about doing it. 

My mom has tried to say I overshare or whatever on facebook and that conversation did not go well. Not her place to say. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 6

I have someone on my FB who I think shares every meme she comes across that has a defiant statement over a wistful background picture.  Even if it completely contradicts the last one she posted.  

I think she just likes how the statements sound/look and doesn't pay attention to the specifics of what they mean.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Ugh.  Now you’re worrying no doubt and also I can’t stand it when people spill personal drama on Facebook (or gushy love posts to be honest - everyone I know who puts raves about their partners up seem to also have some significant marriage issues - it’s like a way to make up or something).  Facebook should be for cute happy pics and that’s about it.  I actually want to take a step back myself because I’m finding it’s not good for contentment in life in general.  I do have two groups that I love on there though.

• Like 4

I know a few girls the same age that do something similar.   I find it very annoying and they go on unfollow.  I would not take any meme share from a serial 'share-er' seriously.  Most of it is attention seeking, passive aggressive,  immaturity.   Just put her on unfollow and send a message asking for pics occasionally. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

The divorce one would have me worried that their marriage wasn't going well.

But I honestly don't see a problem with the job one?  

I think the job one is a terrible attitude. But honestly none of what she posts is the end of the world.  It is just so cringeworthy and sooooo much of it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Or, that you just are supporting people who have been in bad, perhaps abusive marriages, and are divorced. So what? 

Same with the job one - what is so terrible about it?

What some says is oversharing, others call being open. It's a different way to do social media than you do, but it's not obectively wrong or immoral. 

Now, the blocking one is silly, no need to brag about doing it. 

My mom has tried to say I overshare or whatever on facebook and that conversation did not go well. Not her place to say. 

Whose place is it?  Lol......my mom is the oversharer.  She posted the most embarrassing testimony for lack of a better word.....about what a great daughter I am and how wonderful I have always been.  I was inwardly just begging noone to comment so it would just die. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rebcoola said:

I would unfollow her.   Than check once a week on her profile for photos.  Just go there and scroll down  right before you start seeing posts their is a  button that says photos that will show you just her photos.

2 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Block her posts, and if you want to see photos, just go to her profile occasionally and look at photos.  That way you don't have to read the other stuff.

I have already unfollowed her.  It is hard to not read stuff when I go looking for baby pics. But sure I will work on my self control.  I just came her to vent to y’all. 

• Like 2

I’d put her on snooze for 30 days and just check at the end for baby pics. The snooze feature is lovely.

A lot of times reposting those kinds of memes are attention seeking, (sort of the way vaguebooking is) and it’s just annoying. If you want to support a friend going through a difficult time, do it. I guess if reposting memes helps the person feel better, ok. But honestly a call or text telling the person you’re praying for them or you’re there if they need anything seems more supportive than meme posting. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, katilac said:

Why is changing jobs because your current one no longer serves your purposes a terrible attitude? 

I don’t know why I have to defend my feelings about that meme.  But I can’t imagine that would play well to a prospective employer.  In reality many 20 somethings feel th at way. My son does in fact.  But he isn’t posting it all over SM and I doubt he would say that to someone interviewing him. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I don’t know why I have to defend my feelings about that meme.  But I can’t imagine that would play well to a prospective employer.  In reality many 20 somethings feel th at way. My son does in fact.  But he isn’t posting it all over SM and I doubt he would say that to someone interviewing him. 

You don't have to, of course, but it's interesting and curious to some of us that you think it's a terrible attitude. No, it may not play well to some prospective employers - but your dil didn't actually do that, she just reposted a meme. I think part of the issue here is that you are taking the memes far more seriously and personally than she likely does. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, katilac said:

You don't have to, of course, but it's interesting and curious to some of us that you think it's a terrible attitude. No, it may not play well to some prospective employers - but your dil didn't actually do that, she just reposted a meme. I think part of the issue here is that you are taking the memes far more seriously and personally than she likely does. 

Lol yes that is likely. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

I have already unfollowed her.  It is hard to not read stuff when I go looking for baby pics. But sure I will work on my self control.  I just came her to vent to y’all. 

When you go on FB, go directly to her timeline. Underneath the “about” info and “Friends” you will find “photos” and Life Events.  Click on photos and you can see a few choices. Photos, uploads, albums, etc.  Your best bet is to click on uploads.  Most recently posted photos of anything will show up at the top.  You don’t have to scroll though her feed at all.  N.B. This is on an iPad. Idk how it works on a computer. 

Nothing wrong with venting, but you can avoid her dumb memes pretty easily. HTH

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I have a cousin whose divorce played out as a bunch of vaguebooking on FB followed by zero communication to anyone in the family that he was divorced.  One day he was married, the next he was not and shortly thereafter he was married to someone new.  If I hadn't have just happened to see it, I would have sent him and the new wife a Christmas card addressed to him and the old wife.  FB is a weird thing sometimes.  I filter out the stuff that is not useful to me and just focus on the stuff that is.  I totally think it's fine to step away from it if it's stressful or unpleasant for you.  One thing that might help is accessing it only on the computer rather than having the app on your phone.  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, LucyStoner said:

I have a cousin whose divorce played out as a bunch of vaguebooking on FB followed by zero communication to anyone in the family that he was divorced.  One day he was married, the next he was not and shortly thereafter he was married to someone new.  If I hadn't have just happened to see it, I would have sent him and the new wife a Christmas card addressed to him and the old wife.  FB is a weird thing sometimes.  

A close relative divorced, and I forgot to tell my adult dc.  Imagine their surprise to discover photos of him with another woman on FB!  Oops.  

• Haha 4

Re the work thing, plenty of Zoomers stick a job out long enough to use it as a leg up - they come home and whinge about work like the rest of us! The idea that you just walk out because 'suffering' is a bit of a luxury belief, even for the young. Sure, don't suffer for 50 years! But sticking a job out for a while (till you can get a better one ) - yeah, that's not just for oldies.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, klmama said:

A close relative divorced, and I forgot to tell my adult dc.  Imagine their surprise to discover photos of him with another woman on FB!  Oops.  

Yeah, my cousins new wife looks a lot like his old wife and for a second there I thought maybe they were the same person but I realized the name had changed.  

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Whose place is it? 

It is not anyone's place to tell another adult what they are allowed to share about their own feelings and thoughts. 

9 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I don’t know why I have to defend my feelings about that meme.  

You can dislike it, that is valid. But it is JUST as valid for her to like it. Would you want people looking over your facebook profile judging all the stuff you post and then going to other social media to gossip about it? 

Having a different opinion than you does't make her wrong. Nor worthy of gossip and ridicule. 

• Like 3

I see the constant meme posting as the equivalent of email forwards of random stuff that used to go around. My in-laws still send us stuff like that..."heartwarming" stories, conspiracy theories... remember the fake stories about microsoft money give-aways?...  all with multiple headers showing all the forwarding the thing has gone through. I don't think they read the stuff they send on, and I think that some people who post lots of memes on facebook don't really give a lot of thought to what they are posting.  

I also snooze people, and block the original source of the meme. I have regretted unfollowing a few people - long after I unfollowed, I heard about some life events that I'd missed, and then it was rather late to comment on them - so I prefer the snooze option so I don't forget about people.

And  Scarlett, it's OK to have your opinions on stuff like this, and vent here about it as others often do about their own things they don't like. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1