Menu

So, who is making preparations for the Great American Eclipse?

Terabith

My husband's aunt and uncle live right in the path. My birthday is the next day, and I think their anniversary as well. We are hoping to go up and stay with them for it. Or at least, I am. I was way more into the last eclipse than rest of the family. 

• Like 6

Oh, I'll be there! I was not at all prepared for how amazing the eclipse was in 2017, and I was SO GLAD we made the effort to drive a couple of hours to get to totality. I felt a sort of religious zeal afterwards to impress upon people how important totality is. I was this close to selling everything to become a full time eclipse chaser 😂

• Like 4

We were in the US for the 2017 eclipse since it was in the summer, but I doubt we’ll be able to make the 2024 eclipse.  But I do consider eclipse schedules (and the Olympics) when we’re deciding which country to move to next. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

Currently, my 2dd lives in the path of totality.   So - we'll visit her.

eta: for 2017 - we had "dimming" here.  Dh and 2ds went and stayed with a friend so they had an easier drive into the totality zone.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

I am. It is close enough to us that I could probably just find a Big Box parking lot somewhere to hang out in, so I'm not feeling the pressure to make reservations. Last time, the friends we visited for the day had a sheet out on the ground and we could see the solar snakes. Easy to do, so I highly recommend it. I pitched my solar viewer after a few months of taking up space in the garage, so I'll keep an eye out for pieces for another one of those. What else am I missing? Any other cool things to do? Maybe buy/borrow a welder's mask?

• Like 1

We were in the path last time but only had a few seconds of experience because of cloud cover. Looks like we will road trip to a family friend in Illinois to see if the weather will be kinder next time. DH is a big solar eclipse guy. He had dd#2 design a logo & had shirts made last time...

• Like 4

If the usual pattern holds, it will happen right AFTER my husband's spring break, and the rule is that he can't take any personal days immediately before or after a holiday. I have been fretting about this preemptively since 2017. But we'll figure it out somehow! I just told him to e-mail the school board and put in his request for spring break to be the second week of April instead that year. Maybe I can get the whole county on board.

• Like 4

THANK YOU for this prompt - back in 2017 when we chased the last one down to Kentucky it seemed so improbable that 2024 would ever arrive, LOL; but NOW I'm all about planning for the AfterTimes.

21 minutes ago, kokotg said:

If the usual pattern holds, it will happen right AFTER my husband's spring break, and the rule is that he can't take any personal days immediately before or after a holiday. I have been fretting about this preemptively since 2017. But we'll figure it out somehow! I just told him to e-mail the school board and put in his request for spring break to be the second week of April instead that year. Maybe I can get the whole county on board.

I am 100% stealing this.  "fretting about preempitvely" sounds vastly better than "futile ruminating...."

• Haha 6

Just want to say, in 2017, I had so many friends who were like, "Eh, we'll get 90% coverage here, so why bother going anywhere?"  

The difference between 99% coverage and totality is literally NIGHT AND DAY.  

It's easily one of the top five transcendent experiences of my life.  Highly, highly recommend.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Just want to say, in 2017, I had so many friends who were like, "Eh, we'll get 90% coverage here, so why bother going anywhere?"  

It's easily one of the top five transcendent experiences of my life.  Highly, highly recommend.  

I was coming back to post this.  Partial eclipse is cool, but totality is something else altogether.  There is no “close enough” or “almost a total eclipse.”  It’s a flipped switch into an alien world.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Terabith said:

I was one of those. Lesson learned. It was kind of like a brief cloud cover that I never would have noticed except I was paying close attention.

• Like 2

We were lucky to live in the path of totality for the 2017 eclipse. What an incredible experience! If you live in driving distance to the path of totality, do make plans to be in that path. For us, nothing will ever match the ease of walking to our wide-open neighborhood park  and hanging out for hours with friends and neighbors to experience the eclipse.

Dh is the family photographer--I think he had 3 cameras set up, most pointing skyward. But this is my iphone panorama shot during totality, and it's my favorite for capturing the feel of the event (yes, the horizon stays light during totality). Those are my delighted teens on the left.

1266197050_eclipsepanorama.jpg

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 8

During the hours of leading up to totality, you watch the moon slowly creep over the sun through your safety glasses. Just watch a few seconds at a time. You notice the quality of light changing around you--everything seems sharper, crisper, more in focus.

sept - 13.jpg

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 4

My in-laws live right in the path. Dh missed the last one (kids and I did a road trip to TN to see my high school friends and their families and watch it together). We're definitely headed up to see it there! One of Mushroom's top college picks is there too, so maybe he'll be there too.

• Like 3

Something I was not prepared for in 2017 was both the way the temperature dropped and the sounds changed so dramatically.  It was just utterly transcendent.  

My family had seriously humored me about it.  None of them thought it would be worth the 10 hours of driving we did or going early to avoid traffic.  When it was over, my youngest, who was 11 and was born sarcastic said very sincerely, "Okay.  That was worth it."  

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

WTM solar eclipse party at Chelli's house in three years! 🤣

My husband would die if a large group of homeschool moms and their families showed up at our house. Can you say extreme introvert? 

I'd love it though!!! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

We are very close to/on the edge of the total eclipse path.  Woot!  So we will probably watch from home or go down to Indy where dh's brother lives, as they are definitely in the total eclipse path.  

Of course, by 2024 all my kids will be done homeschooling, so I'll have to convince (rather than require) others in my family to be excited about it.  🤪

• Like 1