Menu

Colleges requiring covid vaccine to live on campus

melmichigan

Just now, AbcdeDooDah said:

After FDA approval

I think this is a reasonable way to go. It gives more confidence that they are going through all of the adverse effects reports carefully (we know they are all along, but it is official) and there will be more trial data and other studies, though with few or no people left in the placebo group, I’m not sure what that means.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Here in CA the UC and CSU universities (and Stanford) have already announced Covid vaccinations will be required of students and staff to be on campus.

Bill

Yup. I suspect many (most?) schools already plan to require the vax, but won’t announce until it has full approval, which will almost certainly be before fall semester.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, regentrude said:

At our mass vaccinations, patients have to fill out a form. Is that not the norm everywhere?

I didn't fill out any form other than what I did to register online (which wasn't much information).  I was never asked for an ID at the clinic. I was simply asked my name and the time of my appointment.

I was handed the little CDC card and asked to write my name on it--it is the only thing I filled out at the vaccination clinic.  Then, the person who vaccinated me forgot to mark anything on the card, and I had to ask for something to be written on it. So I am not confident any records are accurate.

My understanding is that at the mass clinic where the eight-year old was vaccinated, people registered online and then were sent QR codes that they showed at the clinic and were then injected without filling out any paperwork or showing any type of ID--simply the QR code on a phone.  

Also, Oakland University has mandated it for fall. U of MI Senate Assembly just passed support for such a mandate. It is given that Northern Michigan University and Lake Superior State will also. Both of those last schools are in the Upper Peninsula, and overwhelming the small, hospital system up there is NOT wise. My guess is that Michigan Tech may do that as well.

From Michigan schools, this is all we have heard thus far.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

I didn't fill out any form other than what I did to register online (which wasn't much information).  I was never asked for an ID at the clinic. I was simply asked my name and the time of my appointment.

I was handed the little CDC card and asked to write my name on it--it is the only thing I filled out at the vaccination clinic.  Then, the person who vaccinated me forgot to mark anything on the card, and I had to ask for something to be written on it. So I am not confident any records are accurate.

My understanding is that at the mass clinic where the eight-year old was vaccinated, people registered online and then were sent QR codes that they showed at the clinic and were then injected without filling out any paperwork or showing any type of ID--simply the QR code on a phone.  

But if you register online and that info is linked to a QR code, there is a (electronic) record. I would think people would register under their own identities? Why would one make up a fake personal? (Of course the system shouldn't have let a child register and the nurse should have noticed)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

That is so weird and sad. I had to send a copy of DDs passport (which they didn’t accept b/c it was expired) and birth certificate to DH while they waited for check in. They wouldn’t let him or her go in otherwise. He also needed the online appt. confirmation page/number. We’re not in TX tho.

Edited by Sneezyone

2 minutes ago, regentrude said:

But if you register online and that info is linked to a QR code, there is a (electronic) record. I would think people would register under their own identities? Why would one make up a fake personal? (Of course the system shouldn't have let a child register and the nurse should have noticed)

That information is not necessarily linked to state vaccination records.  If the system isn't asking for something that definitively identifies someone (such as a social security number), then how is it related to an individual person; when several people in a family have the name John Doe (even with the same address), how do you ever know which one is vaccinated?  How does the individual go back to the electronic record that has been created to provide proof of vaccination?

Especially early on there was an incentive for John Doe to register multiple places.  If John was in Tier 1 and could get appointments at several places, then John's brother, cousin, uncle, could easily use one of the appointments to get a vaccine when they were not in Tier 1 by simply showing a QR code and no ID.  

The TX vaccine rollout has been nothing short of horrid — unorganized and rife with inaccurate information. It’s been hard to get appointments and yet vaccine sites have unused vials. I received my vaccine in late January, I believe. I am a HCW and the process was difficult to maneuver for me and many of my colleagues. Very little has improved since. It’s beyond ridiculous. 

• Sad 1

Ours was a mass Vax site.  No ID required.  My shots haven't shown up in the state vaccine database but I was emailed a Vax record to email I registered with plus the card they gave at the site.  I am sure their will be a few issues but I don't think proof of Vax or people forging Vax records are going to be widespread problems. 

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

But most could be vaccinated, like with other illnesses. We need to get to herd immunity. 

Until then I don't plan to be unmasked in crowds. One person, like a friend, who is unvaccinated I could see. But crowds of people, parties, etc increase the chance of there being someone contagious, and 95% effective isn't enough for me when community spread is high. If we get closer to herd immunity community spread drops a lot, and then I'm more comfortable with it. 

thank you for explaining your thoughts on this; this is what the CDC says, and what my DH says, but he hasn't been able to put into words *why* and it was bugging me. This makes some sense, though, enough that I can now understand his thoughts on the matter.  Thank you!

• Like 1

In case anyone wants to know what the health department did locally, they had everyone provide I.D. so no one would sneak in someone under 16. We have parents that would do that around here. Sigh. The confirmed birthdays, and the took our insurance card info. The state is billing insurance companies who are willing to pay, but it is otherwise free. Our insurance was willing to pay 100% not subject to deductible. I was grateful for that. They hold the clinics in a huge gymnasium not currently in use because the area schools are only having children exercise outside. It was very well run, and worked smoothly. But, it took a while to get to that point.

My mother and mother in law got there vaccines back in Jan/Feb by calling their primary physicians whose offices arranged for them to get the shots at the little county hospital. The health department website was a mess, and many seniors did not know how to make online appointments. Some did not have internet. So in the beginning stages, it took a lot of work on the part of younger, tech advanced family or friends. Some seniors had no one to rely on and took to turning up in nursing home parking lots pleading for leftover doses. Bless the staff. If they had them, they shared them! Updates to the software system has helped a lot. Dh got his through a local pharmacy online registration system. It took some work. What I have told folks without computers or internet savvy is to call the pharmacies directly and simply demand someone help them register, and if they don't, call them over and over until they finally get sick of you and just do it. This has worked for a few folks, some were even told to just get in the car and go because they would have leftover doses at the end of the day.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, brehon said:

The TX vaccine rollout has been nothing short of horrid — unorganized and rife with inaccurate information. It’s been hard to get appointments and yet vaccine sites have unused vials. I received my vaccine in late January, I believe. I am a HCW and the process was difficult to maneuver for me and many of my colleagues. Very little has improved since. It’s beyond ridiculous. 

A lot has improved since. I've been able to get appts for myself, my family, several extended family members, some friends.....just by going to various websites (Walmart, CVS) and searching for available slots. Including rescheduling 2nd Dose shots for 3 of my family members, from their original spot 2.5 hours away to something in our town. 

It may have had it's issues here in the beginning, but at least where I am (and having looked for appts in many locales across the state via WM and CVS sites, it seems in most of the state as well) it's getting pretty easy. 

On the ID note, we've all been asked for ID at the 1st appt, but then only the vaccine card for the 2nd one (at CVS); the mass vaccine clinic in our county requires ID/proof of age -- DH and DS have volunteered there multiple times. I'm surprised some are not requiring it, particularly for young people. 

• Like 5

I have a friend who works for the State of Texas in health data tracking (but not specifically COVID).  I asked him what percentage of Texans opt-in for IMMTRAC (the centralized database for immunizations in Texas); he had no idea.  He did a bit of research and could not come up with an answer (there is some old data that suggests 90-95% of parents opt-in for their kids but once someone is 18 they must opt-in on their own).  He could not come up with any estimate of what percent of COVID vaccines that have been given in the state can be tracked to individual people.

So, there is a question of what records can legally be maintained, and of those that can be, what percentage are correct.  Apparently a lot of the data is being submitted via Excel spreadsheets with errors (we already saw that with the COVID case data tracking).  On top of that, you have the question of how easily can someone request documentation of vaccination--which is a part of the system that hasn't even really been tested yet.  If we had 100s of thousands of college students trying to do that within 3 months, I think it would really tax the system that is having difficult simply administering vaccines.  

And I just looked at my card and it has my name (in my handwriting) and birthdate, Janssen, a lot number, and three letters for clinic.  The patient identifying number is blank.  There are no initials, no stamp, no watermark, or anything that identifies the card as official--I could duplicate it in a matter of seconds on the scanner sitting next to me and a piece of cardstock.  If a college student wanted to prove a vaccine with a card like this--it would be much easier than creating a fake ID (or even the fake doctor's excuses that are common)

Edited by Bootsie

3 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

I have a friend who works for the State of Texas in health data tracking (but not specifically COVID).  I asked him what percentage of Texans opt-in for IMMTRAC (the centralized database for immunizations in Texas); he had no idea.  He did a bit of research and could not come up with an answer (there is some old data that suggests 90-95% of parents opt-in for their kids but once someone is 18 they must opt-in on their own).  He could not come up with any estimate of what percent of COVID vaccines that have been given in the state can be tracked to individual people.

So, there is a question of what records can legally be maintained, and of those that can be, what percentage are correct.  Apparently a lot of the data is being submitted via Excel spreadsheets with errors (we already saw that with the COVID case data tracking).  On top of that, you have the question of how easily can someone request documentation of vaccination--which is a part of the system that hasn't even really been tested yet.  If we had 100s of thousands of college students trying to do that within 3 months, I think it would really tax the system that is having difficult simply administering vaccines.  

I think some states will have problems. Michigan has a very robust system with no opt out. If you get a vaccine, it is in the system. That got started under Governor Engler back in the 90's when vaccination rates got quite low, and many people had also lost or misplaced their vaccine cards. So the bulk of the students here will not have an issue. But out of state students may find themselves in a pickle if their state records are a mess or non-existent.

It is something that every state should be working on now instead of waiting until August move-in, and then going, "Oops!"

• Like 1

Anyone who provided insurance info for the vax should be able to get proof through their insurance company, no matter where the shot was given.

DS, DD, and I all went through different processes:

(1) DS got his at an on-campus event, which he registered for through the university's healthcare portal (MyChart), and then he just showed his student ID at the appointment. I'm not sure what's on his card, but all the info (lot #, date, location, etc.) was automatically added to his MyChart file.

(2) DD got hers at a mass vax clinic run by the state, which she registered for online through the MyHealth portal. At the appointment she showed the QR code plus her driver's license. MyHealth shows that she got the shot, but not the specific details like lot number or location. There is a sticker on her vax card with that info.

(3) I got mine at a local pharmacy, and my card has a printed label that includes the lot number and other info about the vaccine, as well as my name, birthdate, date the shot was given, and signature of the person who gave it. It does not automatically show up in my medical records (MyChart), but I'm sure my doc can add it based on the card.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Anyone who provided insurance info for the vax should be able to get proof through their insurance company, no matter where the shot was given.

DS, DD, and I all went through different processes:

(1) DS got his at an on-campus event, which he registered for through the university's healthcare portal (MyChart), and then he just showed his student ID at the appointment. I'm not sure what's on his card, but all the info (lot #, date, location, etc.) was automatically added to his MyChart file.

(2) DD got hers at a mass vax clinic run by the state, which she registered for online through the MyHealth portal. At the appointment she showed the QR code plus her driver's license. MyHealth shows that she got the shot, but not the specific details like lot number or location. There is a sticker on her vax card with that info.

(3) I got mine at a local pharmacy, and my card has a printed label that includes the lot number and other info about the vaccine, as well as my name, birthdate, date the shot was given, and signature of the person who gave it. It does not automatically show up in my medical records (MyChart), but I'm sure my doc can add it based on the card.

I just checked my insurance records.  I know DH provided insurance information.  He received the Pfizer vaccine (so two doses) both in March and nothing shows up in the insurance records.  I don't remember providing insurance information to sign up at the clinic where I received it.  

3 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

That is so weird and sad. I had to send a copy of DDs passport (which they didn’t accept b/c it was expired) and birth certificate to DH while they waited for check in. They wouldn’t let him or her go in otherwise. He also needed the online appt. confirmation page/number. We’re not in TX tho.

I was not asked for any ID either, just my name and if I had an appointment.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bootsie said:

I just checked my insurance records.  I know DH provided insurance information.  He received the Pfizer vaccine (so two doses) both in March and nothing shows up in the insurance records.  I don't remember providing insurance information to sign up at the clinic where I received it.  

I actually asked my insurance company about this, because I wanted to make sure I wouldn't get stuck with part of the cost if I provided insurance info when I got vaxxed. They said that it would show up in my records, but not in my bills (since I wouldn't owe anything), but that there seems to be a big backlog, so it might not show up for a while. Which makes sense, because it can take months sometimes for things like lab tests to show up, and when places that normally do very few vaccinations (or none, in the case of the mass events at convention centers and such) are suddenly doing hundreds or thousands per week, I assume that takes some time to process.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

I actually asked my insurance company about this, because I wanted to make sure I wouldn't get stuck with part of the cost if I provided insurance info when I got vaxxed. They said that it would show up in my records, but not in my bills (since I wouldn't owe anything), but that there seems to be a big backlog, so it might not show up for a while. Which makes sense, because it can take months sometimes for things like lab tests to show up, and when places that normally do very few vaccinations (or none, in the case of the mass events at convention centers and such) are suddenly doing hundreds or thousands per week, I assume that takes some time to process.

DH's first does was over 6 weeks ago at a CVS.  I looked at everything for our insurance since the first of the year and searched by provider, by date, and by individual family member.  At least so far, nothing has shown up.  Maybe it will eventually.  

I teach at a university with over 10,000 students.  About 1/2 are from out of state.  The university hasn't announced that vaccines will be required; it has done a lot to recommend and push vaccinations.  Logistically, I just don't think it would be easy within 3 1/2 months to have all of these students vaccinated, with records traced down, reported to the university, and verified.  It is one thing to ask for verification of vaccinations for incoming freshman (a much smaller group) when those same vaccinations have often been reported on a centralized form which has been used over the years for schools, sports, etc. and there has been a clear procedure for collecting those records.  

• Like 1

On 4/8/2021 at 9:25 AM, Bootsie said:

From what I have heard, it has become easier, but can still be difficult around the Fort Worth area.  No one in my family is needing an appointment at this point.  But one of my coworkers had to drive 30 miles out of Fort Worth yesterday.  The CVS pharmacies in this area have big signs that they are NOT giving COVID vaccines.  They show up in the CVS vaccine location as "fully booked" but that simply means there are no appointments being scheduled.  If I had waited for an appointment through my health care provider (Baylor Scott and White) or through the county which I signed up for as soon as I was eligible I would still be waiting for an appointment.  And, no HEB...  As of last week DH drove 175 miles roundtrip for his second shot (and he is 70 years old)--so not easy to get an appointment locally even if you are in Tier 1

We have had them in abundance on the eastern side of the metroplex; no problem getting vaxxes for the past couple of weeks.  

6 hours ago, brehon said:

I'm surprised; then again, maybe not:  it's a big, big state.  In my area, it's gone quite well in spite of a patchwork of providers, all doing their thing. 

11 hours ago, Bootsie said:

There isn't a nationwide NHS IT system - long story - but almost everyone is registered with an NHS GP. I think the GPs provided vaccination lists to the vaccination service by age and medical need.

In Scotland,  my invitation was thereafter issued centrally, as will be my invitation for the second dose, and I checked in using my invitation letter. I'm hoping that means there are decent records.

• Like 1

University of Maryland system just announced requiring all on-campus students and staff to be vaccinated by fall (unless they have a legit exception). My college son already has his first shot, but I’m glad they are requiring. 

• Like 7

I had to provide id for my shot at a mass vax site.  I also sat with someone for a few minutes while they compared to an online record and asked some questions, before I could move on to getting the actual shot.   I was pre-registered partially because the site was being run by the same health group that my regular GP is through.  My vaccine is noted on my record because it's all the same system, but I don't know how that would work for people not in that system.   There are two big ones in this area (Summit and Atlantic Health) that it seems most doctors are with one or the other (my ped and specialists are with Summit, only my GP is Atlantic).   

I've had the same ped for 27 years so they definitely have full vaccination record for my kids but I've always felt like it wasn't very "official" when I had to provide it places.   It was basically a photocopied form with dates written in for the longest time, now they print it out.  Either way its something I could make on my computer very very easily.    When ds did some summer camps on a local university campus we had to provide vaccination information but it was just me filling in dates on the registration form online.   I could have put anything.  

I remember my "vaccination record" was a small folding card that we had to bring to each appointment and the doctor would write the vaccine and date on it for each new one.   I'm pretty sure I have mine in a drawer somewhere. 

• Like 1

The college 20yo dd goes to and the 3 that 18yo is deciding between this week, all in CA, will be requiring the Covid vax. And perhaps more important to my everyday lifestyle, our governor here in OR announced yesterday that she wants our colleges to require it also, though she is planning to have that conversation with them. Surges on campus very much affect life in our city. Everyone masks and we've been very conservative about opening schools, restaurants, churches, etc, yet campus cases keep our numbers pretty high. So I am all for having our local college require vaccines as it will help the whole town get things somewhat in control and life somewhat back to normal. We're surging again--over 1000 cases/day in the state the last couple of days when just a week or two ago it was in the 300's.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, kand said:

That link is for general childhood vaccine records. This link suggests that the CDC is doing separate data collection for Covid vaccines: 

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/vaccination-provider-support.html

For those provider agreements not specifying vaccine administration data to be recorded or reported, the following applies:

After administering a dose of COVID-19 vaccine, record to the extent not already recorded in the vaccine recipient’s record all information marked below by an asterisk and report the following required vaccine administration data, or other data elements if revised by CDC, to the appropriate entity noted in the agreement:

1. Administered at location/facility name/ID
  2. Administered at location type
  3. Administration address (including Company)*
  4. Recipient name and ID*
  5. Recipient date of birth*
  6. Recipient sex*
  7. Recipient race
  8. Recipient ethnicity
  9. Recipient address*
  10. Administration date*
  11. CVX (product)*
  12. NDC (national drug code)
  13. Dose number*
  14. Lot number (Unit of Use [UoU] or Unit of Sale [UoS])*
  15. MVX (manufacturer)*
  16. Sending organization (name of the Agency submitting the report)
  17. Vaccine administering provider’s name and suffix*
  18. Administering provider’s address, if different than the administration address*
  19. Vaccine administration site (on the body)*
  20. Vaccine expiration date*
  21. Vaccine route of administration*
  22. Vaccine series

It does appear from another CDC page about tracking Covid vaccine data that Texas is an outlier and handles and reports their Covid vaccine data differently than any other state, so their were caveats about the vaccine data from Texas. Perhaps that will cause particular challenges for Texans who have not opted in to the IIS.

We have had some of the family done at a hospital drive-through site and some at a medical clinic, and both required ID. I could see the possibility that some sites serving underserved populations might be not wanting lack of ID to be a barrier to vaccination, which makes sense. I would think they would just have to go based on what the person tells them in that case. As far as the possibility of some students forging cards for college, I think that’s totally possible, but I think the vast majority of people aren’t that dishonest and will do the right thing. I expect we will just have to accept that there will be some people who cheat the system and not let perfect be the enemy of good. I don’t expect enough students will lie to prevent a college campus from reaching herd immunity.

That's consistent with my experience (where I'd signed up for two appointments with different types of providers; was unsuccessful in canceling the later one, but then they contacted me, having received word from CDC that I'd already had one.)

FWIW, I've been working with ESL students to find sites / appointments, and while the online portals ask for name and address at the time of sign-up, they have not been asked to show ID at the state or municipal sites.  I don't know anyone who's done one of the FEMA sites -- they only started doing it here a few weeks ago -- so dunno about that.  The pharmacies seem to be checking ID just to confirm identity -- that you really are who's on their list... but not taking any DL or other iinformation down, so I imagine a library card or YMCA ID or whatever would equally serve the purpose.  Herd immunity requires *everyone* in the herd is protected.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kand said:

That link is for general childhood vaccine records. This link suggests that the CDC is doing separate data collection for Covid vaccines: 

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/vaccination-provider-support.html

For those provider agreements not specifying vaccine administration data to be recorded or reported, the following applies:

After administering a dose of COVID-19 vaccine, record to the extent not already recorded in the vaccine recipient’s record all information marked below by an asterisk and report the following required vaccine administration data, or other data elements if revised by CDC, to the appropriate entity noted in the agreement:

1. Administered at location/facility name/ID
  2. Administered at location type
  3. Administration address (including Company)*
  4. Recipient name and ID*
  5. Recipient date of birth*
  6. Recipient sex*
  7. Recipient race
  8. Recipient ethnicity
  9. Recipient address*
  10. Administration date*
  11. CVX (product)*
  12. NDC (national drug code)
  13. Dose number*
  14. Lot number (Unit of Use [UoU] or Unit of Sale [UoS])*
  15. MVX (manufacturer)*
  16. Sending organization (name of the Agency submitting the report)
  17. Vaccine administering provider’s name and suffix*
  18. Administering provider’s address, if different than the administration address*
  19. Vaccine administration site (on the body)*
  20. Vaccine expiration date*
  21. Vaccine route of administration*
  22. Vaccine series

It does appear from another CDC page about tracking Covid vaccine data that Texas is an outlier and handles and reports their Covid vaccine data differently than any other state, so their were caveats about the vaccine data from Texas. Perhaps that will cause particular challenges for Texans who have not opted in to the IIS.

We have had some of the family done at a hospital drive-through site and some at a medical clinic, and both required ID. I could see the possibility that some sites serving underserved populations might be not wanting lack of ID to be a barrier to vaccination, which makes sense. I would think they would just have to go based on what the person tells them in that case. As far as the possibility of some students forging cards for college, I think that’s totally possible, but I think the vast majority of people aren’t that dishonest and will do the right thing. I expect we will just have to accept that there will be some people who cheat the system and not let perfect be the enemy of good. I don’t expect enough students will lie to prevent a college campus from reaching herd immunity.

But this is on the CDC site:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/facts.htmlimage.thumb.png.0dff9fac86be4d1123fdd5989574a796.png

This is specifically under COVID FAQs.  If the CDC does not maintain or monitor a person's vaccination records, then are they maintaining a database of who has and has not received COVID vaccines?

32 minutes ago, kand said:

Sounds like no. Reading over again from the link I posted, it sounds like the administration site is required to record that information, but I don’t see that it says that all that information goes to the CDC. Certainly they are recording information about doses given, but now it sounds more like the individual information they are required to collect gets transmitted to the state. Which in the state of Texas is handled differently than everywhere else.

Doing a bit more research, it looks like there was a data use and sharing agreement for COVID vaccines.  This is form several months ago, but it suggests that California is not providing information that does not identify individuals to the CDC.  

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/COVID-19/Data-Use-and-Sharing-Agreement-FAQ.aspx

My state doesn't have any kind of centralized registry -- I got the CDC card and that was it.  The university where I work has sent out emails asking student, faculty and staff to upload our vaccination details (info and then a scan of the card) so they can get a sense of how many people have been vaccinated and make decisions about possibly easing restrictions.  They haven't yet announced plans for the fall and whether vaccination will be required, but I very think (and really hope) that it will.  The university has managed to stay in-person all year through an elaborate, onerous and expensive rigamarole that is crummy for everyone.  If everyone on campus is vaccinated most of the stuff they're doing now can just go away.  (The school has eliminated quarantine requirements for vaccinated folks but everything else is still highly restricted.)

Vaccination rates in the state overall are low and even in the city it seems unlikely that we'll get to any sort of robust community immunity without many many more people getting sick first.  Some other universities in the state have already announced that they will NOT be requiring vaccination, but at least a couple of those schools also appear to be planning to keep their masking/distancing protocols in place indefinitely.  

Edited by JennyD

21 minutes ago, kand said:

Interesting. Confusing the issue even more is this little snippet I noticed from an article shared on another thread: “The C.D.C.’s count of missed second doses is through April 9. It covers only people who got a first Moderna dose by March 7 or a first Pfizer dose by March 14.” So I wonder how that works? Still, I think it’s mostly going to come down to relying on the fact that the majority of people aren’t going to be liars. Hopefully the small number of people who will be won’t have be enough to mess things up for everyone else.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7011e2.htm

Looking at some of the CDC studies it appears that people are matched by a recipient ID--So there is reporting that recipient 123789 at Walgreens returned four weeks later.  So, Walgreens may know who recipient 123789 is but the CDC does not.  Then if recipient 123789 gets the first vaccine at Walgreens in Texas and then the second vaccine at CVS in another state, they may not be matched as the same person.  

My concern is not so much of whether people will lie or not; my concern is would I really be able to provide "proof" if someone asked for it?

I certainly don't want all of the Walgreens, and CVSs to have to spend time piecing together records over the next three months to provide proof of vaccinations for hundreds of thousands of college students and take time away from actually administering vaccines.  

And it is concerning that in populations for which people are less likely to have a driver's license or are more leery of providing proof of identity to a government entity may not be vaccinated.  

image.png

Here, we're asked to show ID, but there are ways around it. Like, I know they went around and did homeless folks before nearly anyone else and ID was not required. And they're doing home visits to vaccinate the elderly now. And apparently it does not need to be a driver's license.

They're trying really hard to make sure it gets to communities that are resistant here... but there have been big challenges for sure.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Agnes Scott has joined the list of schools that are requiring vaccination to be completed to take classes on campus. I guess the feeling is that a) vaccination is readily available now for US students, at least, and b) they are able to vaccinate on campus now over the summer.

https://www.agnesscott.edu/engaging-the-challenge-together/updates/vaccination-policy-fall-semester.html?fbclid=IwAR1I1PDmTdUc4Otv_u32X4cLj2FFZcI61A8TOjVIkF8K4iqF9fVJ5woq26Y

• Like 5

My son will walk for his Masters Degree next week.  They are requiring all graduates and their four guests provide either proof of two vaccinations with last dose at least 2 weeks prior to grad date OR note from doctor saying recovered from Covid  OR a negative test within 72 hours of grad date.

This is going to be hard for his younger brother who wants to come from across state for the ceremony as his second shot date will be only 6 days prior so  he'll have to figure out where to get tested and get results quickly as he works on Friday, and has a 12 hour drive already to get to college on Saturday... so the 72 hour cut off will be close..

Yikes

• Sad 2

My bleepity bleep of a governor just made it illegal for schools or private businesses to require a Covid vaccine. 

And struck down all and any mask mandates (although private businesses can can require them, but not the city/county/etc and they are no longer required in any government office)

• Confused 3
  • Sad 3

7 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

My bleepity bleep of a governor just made it illegal for schools or private businesses to require a Covid vaccine. 

And struck down all and any mask mandates (although private businesses can can require them, but not the city/county/etc and they are no longer required in any government office)

why don't we get good emojis on this board? Confused or sad don't cut it. 

• Like 6

Just now, regentrude said:

why don't we get good emojis on this board? Confused or sad don't cut it. 

I will repent of this at some point I'm sure, but right now a burning at the stake emoji would fit my feelings about this man. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

I will repent of this at some point I'm sure, but right now a burning at the stake emoji would fit my feelings about this man. 

The disregard for human life is astonishing. Those politicians who refuse to implement Covid safety measures for political reasons have blood on their hands. (And yes, I get that we cannot keep businesses closed indefinitely - but why the hell can't we do business wearing masks??? )

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Myra said:

My son will walk for his Masters Degree next week.  They are requiring all graduates and their four guests provide either proof of two vaccinations with last dose at least 2 weeks prior to grad date OR note from doctor saying recovered from Covid  OR a negative test within 72 hours of grad date.

This is going to be hard for his younger brother who wants to come from across state for the ceremony as his second shot date will be only 6 days prior so  he'll have to figure out where to get tested and get results quickly as he works on Friday, and has a 12 hour drive already to get to college on Saturday... so the 72 hour cut off will be close..

Yikes

I am curious as to what they are requiring as proof of two vaccines.  (and will they not allow people with the J&J vaccine which is only one dose attend?)  Is it simply that they are carrying a little card in their wallet that anyone could reproduce easily?  

I happened to be in for an annual exam yesterday.  The nurse asked if I had received my COVID vaccines.  I said I had received the J&J vaccine and asked if there was any official database and records.  She said they had records of who they gave the vaccine to but did not have any thing beyond that and did not report to anyone else.  She said she would put a note that I had the vaccine on March 1--I said that wasn't the date--that it was during the second week in March and she said "close enough"  --she didn't ask to see the card or anything.  So, at least in the state of Texas, asking someone for proof of vaccine seems totally meaningless and pointless.  

• Sad 1

On 4/23/2021 at 2:20 PM, Bootsie said:

If a student is in college in a different state and receives a vaccine there, then this would not appear on the state record with their childhood vaccines.  My experience has been such a push to get as many people vaccinated as quickly as possible that there has been little thought put into the logistics of how to keep a record of any of this, or even how to know for sure who is getting a vaccine.  (An eight-year old girl was vaccinated at a mass drive-through clinic here recently.)

There has been significant thought put into it. It’s no different than tracking administration of any other vaccine, which has been happening for decades. Mine is in both my medical record and in the state records. I also have the hard copy CDC card. I doubt there’s anyone giving vaccines that isn’t keeping records, that would be unethical and, I believe, illegal. If an eight year old was vaccinated at a clinic, then someone was acting unethically & it certainly isn’t the norm in vaccine clinics. 

7 minutes ago, TechWife said:

There has been significant thought put into it. It’s no different than tracking administration of any other vaccine, which has been happening for decades. Mine is in both my medical record and in the state records. I also have the hard copy CDC card. I doubt there’s anyone giving vaccines that isn’t keeping records, that would be unethical and, I believe, illegal. If an eight year old was vaccinated at a clinic, then someone was acting unethically & it certainly isn’t the norm in vaccine clinics. 

But, see I was at the doctor's office yesterday and it is NOT in my medical records.  I was vaccinated at a clinic.  I was told by the doctor's office that this is not all being reported for state records.  

Yes, the clinic is keeping records, but the amount of time it would take for hundreds of  thousands of college students to track down these pop-up clinics, request, and receive any official documentation would be massive. 

The hard copy CDC cards are, IMO, worthless.  There is nothing official about it at all.  I think that if we ask someone to show that as proof they are vaccinated we are fooling ourselves.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

But, see I was at the doctor's office yesterday and it is NOT in my medical records.  I was vaccinated at a clinic.  I was told by the doctor's office that this is not all being reported for state records.  

Yes, the clinic is keeping records, but the amount of time it would take for hundreds of  thousands of college students to track down these pop-up clinics, request, and receive any official documentation would be massive. 

The hard copy CDC cards are, IMO, worthless.  There is nothing official about it at all.  I think that if we ask someone to show that as proof they are vaccinated we are fooling ourselves.

I sent my doctor a message through the patient portal with a  copy of my vaccination card and asked for the Covid vaccine to be added to my medical records. Done

And, as I said before, almost all records of past vaccination are based on patients self reporting at the intake survey anyway

• Like 4