Menu

Tell me about life w/o microwave, or an inaccessible microwave

Trilliumlady

We used to not have a microwave, so one would think I could easily make this decision.  Apparently I can’t.  

Our over range microwave broke a few days ago.  I really didn’t like using it, though I did.  It was used almost exclusively for reheating my teas, reheating meals (not daily), and melting butter, etc, for baking.  No meal prep in it, no popcorn, etc.  I would love to try to go for no microwave again, but DH might not agree.  IF I had a good alternative to offer him, he might be more willing.  I am considering compromising with a small microwave and putting it in our pantry instead of above stove.  Definitely don’t want one on the counters.  

What does the Hive say about an out-of-the-way microwave?  Anyone do this?  I’m guessing it would cut down on its usage (which is fine by me).  Are there any other kitchen appliances that I should consider getting to “replace” the microwave?  We do have an air fryer I was told could be used to heat up (some) meals/foods but I haven’t done this yet.  It’s a smaller one, not one of the toaster oven looking one.

Or do I just throw my hands up and say no more microwave, thank you very much, and get back to that way of life?  For those w/o one, are you happy with the choice?

Why don’t you want a microwave and is your dh on board with your reasons?

I tried living without a microwave for a couple of weeks and it was intensely frustrating. If your dh isn’t on board, give the man a little microwave in the pantry! 😄

In college I lived in an apartment  with no microwave. I had a full size oven/range and a toaster oven.  I really prefer having a microwave. I never liked heating leftovers  up in the toaster oven. It took too long, and they dried out too much.

Whether having a microwave in an out of the way place would work for your family is different. Maybe really think about traffic patterns that it would create/disrupt.

Edited by Emba

We don't have one and it is perfectly fine.  We don't even notice not having one.    The only issue is sometimes certain frozen products are only microwave heatable.  We simply don't buy that product.  I wouldn't even consider  having one at this point.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, City Mouse said:

What will you do with the space above the range, if you don’t put in a new microwave? I would guess that other options would not be any cheaper. (Except leaving the empty space when you take it out). 

My family would not want to go without a microwave for long.

We just put up a vent hood.  It wasn't expensive at all.

• Like 1

I find above the range to be the most annoying and impractical place for a microwave.   I would not want to do entirely without one one, however.

I think a small countertop microwave in the pantry would be a good compromise.  The nice thing about countertop microwaves is they are portable.  If the pantry location turns out to be impractical, you can relocate the microwave to a countertop, cart, or even inside a kitchen cabinet.

In the summer we do all of our reheating in the microwave to avoid heating up the kitchen with the oven.  All year round we use it to warm up coffee.  It’s totally worth it for the coffee alone.  And in my world, the further you have to trek said coffee to get it to warm up, the more places will end up coffee colored.  Just saying.  

I don’t see that a fan would be much smaller than another microwave, and I’d replace that sucker in a fat second, just for accessible coffee.

We don't have one.  We were in exactly the same position you are.  We had one above the range.  It stopped working at some point and I started using it as a place to store bread and any other goodies our cats or fruit flies were interested in.  It had a recirculating fan that was not very efficient anyway and I wanted a legit vented-to-the-outside hood fan.  So after awhile, we replaced it with the hood.  I never liked the noise of the microwave nor the condition of foods cooked/reheated in it and I find my hood to be much more useful for me.

We use insulated mugs for coffee so we never have to reheat.  We use the oven or stove to reheat leftovers.  We eat leftovers for lunch every day and I have yet to find a dish that does not taste better reheated without a microwave.  My oven can be programmed with a timer so I will often toss lunch in there on a timer if I know something I am doing is going to interfere with my remembering to start lunch. In a pinch, even leftover pizza can be reheated nicely on a cast iron pan on the stove top.  Way better than being nuked.

• Like 1

I have not had a microwave for several years, and the only thing I sometimes miss it for is melting butter for baking ( which I can easily do in the oven while it preheats). 

For me, the microwave never earned the space it used to take up. I would not ever want one again. 

My mother hasn't used a microwave in her life.

We heat leftovers in a pan on the stove. That takes just minutes, too.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 4

Our kitchen didn't come with a microwave above the oven and our space is too small to accommodate a microwave on the counter. We've gone without one for 6 years and it's not been a big deal. If I want to reheat something I used to do it on the stove (and sometimes still do) but I did get a hotlogic casserole food warmer for those times I don't want to heat the house by putting something in the oven (I live in Florida). It's a hot plate that sits inside a cooler and it's pretty amazing and can be pulled out when needed (but you have to plan for it as it takes a while to heat).

I got stainless steel measuring cups and melt butter in those on the stove and it's done really quickly.

One of the things I do miss is an easy way to make popcorn but I might get myself a whirly popcorn maker (my MIL burned my kitchen cupboards making it in a regular pot so I don't want to do that again!)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, importswim said:

One of the things I do miss is an easy way to make popcorn but I might get myself a whirly popcorn maker (my MIL burned my kitchen cupboards making it in a regular pot so I don't want to do that again!)

I dont know how you MIL managed that but I make popcorn in a pan on the stovetop all the time and the only thing I've ever burned is popcorn lol or theres Jiffy Pop! 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, theelfqueen said:

I dont know how you MIL managed that but I make popcorn in a pan on the stovetop all the time and the only thing I've ever burned is popcorn lol or theres Jiffy Pop! 

She's super talented apparently, and started a fire in the pot that came up and singed the cabinets over the stove. Thankfully I ran in and put the lid on the pot (to cut off the air) as she wasn't sure what to do. LOL! She's a loveable but interesting person. I didn't let her try to make it again.

I do have a couple of jiffy pop containers in my garage! I may just stick to that as I can already see DH giving me the side-eye if I got another appliance/pot. 😂

• Haha 1

Who does what in the microwave?  If  you are the one to heat up foods and melt butter, think of how you will do it without the microwave.  And experiment.

Does your dh use it for more than heating up beverages?  Can you get him an electric tea kettle? 

I think the issue is accommodating both people's needs for (quick)  warm food and beverages. 

We don't have a microwave, but it sure would be convenient if we did.  We just don't have the space, and fruit storage beat out microwave.  It is a pain to heat up leftovers and ends up using more dishes.  Other than that, it hasn't really been that big of a deal to live without it.  It just takes a little getting used to.  

How far away/inconvenient is the pantry? How badly does DH want a microwave conveniently placed? Could you agree to try, say, two weeks without it to see how it goes?

I would have a tough time refusing to replace an appliance that other family members have relied on using.

3 hours ago, regentrude said:

I have not had a microwave for several years, and the only thing I sometimes miss it for is melting butter for baking ( which I can easily do in the oven while it preheats). 

For me, the microwave never earned the space it used to take up. I would not ever want one again. 

My mother hasn't used a microwave in her life.

We heat leftovers in a pan on the stove. That takes just minutes, too.

Everything she said is the same here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marbel said:

How far away/inconvenient is the pantry? How badly does DH want a microwave conveniently placed? Could you agree to try, say, two weeks without it to see how it goes?

I would have a tough time refusing to replace an appliance that other family members have relied on using.

The pantry is about 6 feet away from current microwave location, and only about 3 feet from the end of our island, so not a deal breaker in my mind as far as distance.  

DH really doesn’t use it much either. I’m the only hot beverage drinker for the most part.  Once in a while he might reheat, but he’s from a country where most homes likely do not have one d/t electrical coverage, and I don’t think it would be too much of an adjustment.  

And, as far as kids, I’d much prefer them learn other ways to re-heat foods (or, God forbid, learn to eat something cold!), than to rely solely on microwaves.  Again, who knows where they might end up living...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Trilliumlady said:

I’m encouraged by other voices saying they get by just fine without having one 🙂. I’m just wondering now what to replace the space with above the range, if we do just end up nixing the microwave idea.  Any thoughts in that direction? Specific looks?  

We put in a real vent hood.  We love it.  

3 minutes ago, Trilliumlady said:

I’m intrigued.....  Link, if possible???  

Mine is 20 years old, but this one actually looks better! If i can shed my sentimental attachment, I'm going to have to consider replacing the one I have.

I have a gas range and there are two cautions. One is that my sauce pan can tip easily because of the sparse grid on the burner and the heaviness of the handle on the pot I own. The one I linked doesn't seem to be as much at risk for that. Second is that the burner diameter is large enough that anything other than lowest flame is too big for this little pot.

11 minutes ago, SusanC said:

Mine is 20 years old, but this one actually looks better! If i can shed my sentimental attachment, I'm going to have to consider replacing the one I have.

I have a gas range and there are two cautions. One is that my sauce pan can tip easily because of the sparse grid on the burner and the heaviness of the handle on the pot I own. The one I linked doesn't seem to be as much at risk for that. Second is that the burner diameter is large enough that anything other than lowest flame is too big for this little pot.

I have one of those.  I think it belonged to dh's grandmother.

• Like 1

If your family uses the microwave, getting rid of it will be an issue.  If you'd said that yours hasn't been touched in a month, I'd say toss it, but it sounds like normal usage to me.  Do you have a dining room? You can put it on a shelf in there.  I think a small microwave is fine for reheating meals, so you could downsize.  Is there a shelf in the kitchen where it can fit? I've had the same microwave since 93 and would have a hard time pushing leftovers without one.  If they have to 'cook' anyway, my people will just make new stuff.

• Like 1

We use our micro all the time so we couldn't do without. (When it is broken for even a few days, we do way more pot/pan washing & use more electricity warming up stuff on the stove. No way would it fly here!

If you like warm water for your tea, check out the electric kettle thread. ;)

Ours broke. Or rather, the electricity was never properly wired and it's the thing I decided had to go to make sure there were no other issues resultant.

At first I was like, I'm going to just replace it with a hood. But... I've missed it. It's been two years. (I know, but it's an expensive fix because I have to hire someone and labor is very pricey here.) I still kind of miss it. I have my replacement picked out. They make these low profile ones now! They're so much smaller! It's perfect. Ours was always a bit too low IMHO.

Anyway... while I miss it, I never used it that much - same as the OP, to melt butter, occasionally warm something up, no cooking or popcorn. I've adapted. I now freeze stews and soups and things in freezer bags and just cut them off and reheat in a pot instead and I'm used to that. I've gotten better at reheating on the stove in general. There are a few tricks. So even though I still kind of miss it... I really don't need it at all.

6 hours ago, theelfqueen said:

It can be done quite easily! I walked away from popcorn to check drink orders..there were flames 2 feet high when I got back to the kitchen. Lots of smoke damage.

We moved a few years later. My neighbor told me his wife had a kitchen remodel twice due to popcorn fires. 

I've never owned a microwave in my life and have never desired one. Not remotely interested in having one.

I don't like the way they reheat food from the inside out (weird). Water can be boiled. Stove-top popcorn tastes better. And I suspect they encourage unhealthful eating habits.

I'd much rather have a Breville Smart Oven or similar large convection toaster-oven.  I use our Smart Oven many times daily. Top notch.

Bill

• Like 1

Man, I have been popping corn on the stovetop for years and have never had any excitement. Just the drudgery of scrubbing the pot when I let the corn burn...  But I  must say I'm with Bill, popcorn on the stove is much better than microwaved (or air popped for that matter).  

I am pretty agnostic on the microwave question myself. I don't use it a ton, mostly to reheat coffee I forgot to drink. Sometimes I use it for leftovers. Others in the house use it more than I do. I'm not sure my daughter's vegetarian bacon (facon!) can be heated up any other way? But if it disappeared tomorrow, we'd adjust. 

Edited by marbel

2 minutes ago, marbel said:

Man, I have been popping corn on the stovetop for years and have never had any excitement. Just the drudgery of scrubbing the pot when I let the corn burn...  But I  must say I'm with Bill, popcorn on the stove is much better than microwaved (or air popped for that matter).  

A thick (ply) saucepan with a heavy lid (and the right temp) is the key. Hot to start (to create interior "steam") and then reduced to just what's necessary to maintain the heat. A heavy well-fitting lid is critical.

In my home, Mrs Spy Car is the designated popcorn maker. She does a great job. Clean ups are extremely rare.

My popcorn is good too--I just try not cross into what's become "her thing." Always good. 

We have good friends and neighbors who have us over frequently (in normal times) and the husband loves popcorn (which he microwaves). He's for of "famous" in his family for his popcorn. I never say anything, but it doesn't come remotely close to Mrs Spy Car's popcorn. Her's is far better.

Bill

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

A thick (ply) saucepan with a heavy lid (and the right temp) is the key. Hot to start (to create interior "steam") and then reduced to just what's necessary to maintain the heat. A heavy well-fitting lid is critical.

Yes, mine is a fairly thin Revereware saucepan. But it is not used for much more than popcorn, and Barkeeper's Friend has taken care of the burned spots quite well. Mostly the burn happens when I am adjusting to a new stove. 

What is your preferred oil?  Or, I mean, Mrs Spy Car's oil? I like peanut or coconut. On rare occasion, bacon fat is very nice too. And then... the best part... nutritional yeast. That is a nod to my Mom's popcorn, generously sprinkled with parm from The Green Can.

Edited by marbel

23 minutes ago, marbel said:

Yes, mine is a fairly thin Revereware saucepan. But it is not used for much more than popcorn, and Barkeeper's Friend has taken care of the burned spots quite well. Mostly the burn happens when I am adjusting to a new stove. 

What is your preferred oil?  Or, I mean, Mrs Spy Car's oil? I like peanut or coconut. On rare occasion, bacon fat is very nice too. And then... the best part... nutritional yeast. That is a nod to my Mom's popcorn, generously sprinkled with parm from The Green Can.

Yeah, Revereware is thin and prone to hotspots. I grew up with that stuff. I remember that it was tricky.

The All Clad saucepan we use is nearly foolproof. Burned popcorn is no fun scrape off--but Barkeepers Friend does help a lot.

I think Mrs Spy Car generally uses either coconut oil or olive oil. Peanut oil would be an excellent choice.

She did some with Nutritional Yeast for a period. It was pretty good. 

Bill

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

Yeah, Revereware is thin and prone to hotspots. I grew up with that stuff. I remember that it was tricky.

The All Clad saucepan we use is nearly foolproof. Burned popcorn is no fun scrape off--but Barkeepers Friend does help a lot.

I think Mrs Spy Car generally uses either coconut oil or olive oil. Peanut oil would be an excellent choice.

She did some with Nutritional Yeast for a period. It was pretty good. 

Bill

I don’t know how to quote just a section of this, but we LOVE nutritional yeast on popcorn made with a WhirlyPop in this home!

• Like 2

We didn’t have a microwave in our kitchen for years. We used our toaster oven frequently to reheat food. Popcorn was made either on the stove or in an air popper. 

When we first decided to get rid of our microwave we stored it in the basement. We brought it upstairs only once when company wanted to use it. We eventually got rid of it and didn’t miss it at all.

Having said all that, we later moved to a house with a microwave above the stove, and use it frequently.