Menu

Tell me about life w/o microwave, or an inaccessible microwave

Trilliumlady

5 hours ago, mom2scouts said:

We use our microwave so often I'm not even sure how we lived without one. I don't think I'd like to have one in an out of the way place. It's a high use item in our kitchen.

Ours as well! We have four people on four different schedules, thus four people heating up leftovers at various times. It's a rare day when someone is motivated enough to dirty another dish or pot to heat leftovers in a different way (because, yes, we are also the people who fling caution to the wind and both store and heat our leftovers in plastic food containers). 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I had to come back to this thread as I had a revelation of sorts.  If I was going to redo my kitchen, I would not put a microwave above the stove. I am so tired of cleaning grease splatters off the microwave that no one else in my house can see. Also, my DH cannot seem to remember to cover his food when reheating, and when I make comments about cleaning up the mess, he says he will do it “later” when it cools off which never seems to happen.

I still like the convenience of a microwave, but I would like my own secret microwave that I don’t have to share. 😀 maybe I could hide it behind the trash can.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, City Mouse said:

I had to come back to this thread as I had a revelation of sorts.  If I was going to redo my kitchen, I would not put a microwave above the stove. I am so tired of cleaning grease splatters off the microwave that no one else in my house can see. Also, my DH cannot seem to remember to cover his food when reheating, and when I make comments about cleaning up the mess, he says he will do it “later” when it cools off which never seems to happen.

I still like the convenience of a microwave, but I would like my own secret microwave that I don’t have to share. 😀 maybe I could hide it behind the trash can.

I don't like the microwave above the stove either.  We had to do some minor remodeling of our kitchen because it had an 80s microwave oven combo that was small and didn't work.  The stove top did work but was very old.   So dh took out the combo, and the stove top, shifted cabinets all around and down and we put in a gas range, slide in, with a vent hood above it.  I love it.  Anyway the cabinet that once held the microwave above the stove is now to the left of the range and dh put a shelf in it and it now holds the microwave.