Menu

What's a thing that makes your life easier?

hs03842

What is something you have come across over the years that makes your life easier?  Something that, as soon as you discovered it, seemed to take a load off you or otherwise make things work better--big or small.  Looking for ways to work smarter not harder!

I'll start:  Buying and using a label maker.  For some reason having that is a difference maker.  I even use it to label freezer bags of precooked or chopped stuff (I make several bags at once so I guess typing out the labels is more foolproof and faster.).

Edited by JoyKM

A shared shopping list on Google Keep Notes. Exercise kit in the boot of the car, so I can exercise any time. A Soda Stream for fizzy water. Eating a lot of vegetarian meals, because healthy store cupboard meals are easy. 

ETA electric kettle. But everyone in the UK has one.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 5

I'll second the label maker! I use mine constantly. Somewhat related to that, I also have a notebook labeled Where Stuff Is, and I write down stuff that's in odd places or might otherwise be forgotten about. Extra pillows, childhood toys we're keeping, tools we only use occasionally, Christmas gifts. People always think this notebook is pretty funny, but I can find almost everything quickly . 

Another big help is my stick vacuum and handheld vacuum. I went without them for a long time, because we have a good full-sized vacuum cleaner - but it's heavy and I'm pretty disinclined to drag it out and use it. It's like this whole ordeal 😄 but the stick vac is light and easy and so small I just keep it in a corner of dd's room. And the hand vac lives next to the sugar glider cage. So dh continues with the full-sized vacuum, but things are much cleaner because I'm supplementing in between. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, katilac said:

I also have a notebook labeled Where Stuff Is

Another big help is my stick vacuum and handheld vacuum.  

Wow—I have never heard of that kind of notebook!  That’s an intriguing concept. 

I think we could use a couple of extra vacuums. Small vacuums=small children using them somehow. 😂 Maybe a little red Hoover handheld for the stairs. 🤔

Edited by JoyKM

Separating loads of laundry.

Mountains of laundry were always getting out of control because nobody put it all away because it ‘wasn’t their laundry’ (it was, but mixed together and nobody wanted to go through it). Now each person in the family has his/her own laundry basket. Dirty clothes go in all week; end of week the person does just his basket-full start to finish; now empty basket is ready for dirty laundry again. So simple, yet so sanity-saving for me. 

• Like 2

Large commercial size washer/dryer and fridge

Shared Google calendars with DH and teens in the house

Having my kids make lunch daily for everyone when they get to about 6th or 7th grade

One note shopping list and big monthly pantry stocking trips so I only have to get a few quick perishables weekly

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JoyKM said:

I think we could use a couple of extra vacuums. Small vacuums=small children using them somehow. 😂 Maybe a little red Hoover handheld for the stairs. 🤔

My stick vac is so light that a very young child could use it. Even if they are short, they can just let the handle lean back. It actually comes apart so you can use it as handheld, too, but I haven't tried it bc I have a handheld also (and I think both are worth it to not hassle with taking things apart). Handheld on stairs, yes, but turn them loose in the kitchen and dining room, too. You'll be surprised at how much it picks up even if you have swept that day. 

When my kids were little, I'd give them a wet wipe and tell them to clean the appliances and baseboards. They didn't do it to adult level, but I figure every bit of dirt helps. Plus it keeps them occupied 😄

1 hour ago, ScoutTN said:

For cooking: an immersion blender.

Omigosh, yes, 100%. 

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

My smartphone.  I was Team Flip phone for a long time but the apps I have on my smartphone have made tracking and maintaining my health easier, made shopping easier, made making appointments easier, etc. 

Yes. My smartphone can do more than the first computers we owned, and it's always in my pocket. It saves me a ton of time. 

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Bullet journal!

I love paper planning! 

1 hour ago, Patty Joanna said:

Exempt from cabinet: fabric.  That would be asking too much.

Collections:  Putting together tool kits in the locations where I use them.  This is especially where the label maker comes in handy--none of the other people who live in my house can dispute whose tool they have used, and NOT PUT BACK and so they are finally learning to do that.   

Good exemption. 

dh has a shed full of tools. I have a small box. Guess who can always find a hammer or screwdriver, lol? He doesn't even know where my box is; when he can't find his hammer, I don't tell him where mine is, I go get it for him. 

• Like 2

These list-type threads are my absolute favorites!  Whether it's Christmas gift ideas or Covid-19 indulgences, I find myself posting to say, "I love this thread".  It's just that I'd never stopped to think about why I enjoy them so much. 

They include great ideas and innovations that hadn't occurred to me before, of course, but I think I love them because they're so positive and empowering.  Gaining control or finding joy, even in small, simple ways, can be a game changer for me.

Thank you @JoyKM for starting this thread and to everyone who contributes!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, katilac said:

I'll second the label maker! I use mine constantly. Somewhat related to that, I also have a notebook labeled Where Stuff Is, and I write down stuff that's in odd places or might otherwise be forgotten about. Extra pillows, childhood toys we're keeping, tools we only use occasionally, Christmas gifts. People always think this notebook is pretty funny, but I can find almost everything quickly . 

Another big help is my stick vacuum and handheld vacuum. I went without them for a long time, because we have a good full-sized vacuum cleaner - but it's heavy and I'm pretty disinclined to drag it out and use it. It's like this whole ordeal 😄 but the stick vac is light and easy and so small I just keep it in a corner of dd's room. And the hand vac lives next to the sugar glider cage. So dh continues with the full-sized vacuum, but things are much cleaner because I'm supplementing in between. 

I have that too! I got that idea from here once upon a time, so maybe from you! 

• Like 1

Having DS11 empty the dishwasher every night after his younger brothers go upstairs for bed. (He is allowed to stay downstairs to read longer if he does this.) It makes my mornings SO MUCH LESS STRESSFUL to wake up to an empty dishwasher...and *I* don't have to do it!

• Like 3

One of mine was a spray bottle (like a quality one from the plant department) with Lysol concentrate and water in it.  I used that to spray down the kitchen, table, gave kids a rag and sent them to do the doorknobs, etc.  Very low cost and killed germs.

My other favorite kitchen tool is the small little brown nylon pan scraper.  It is wonderful for getting cooked on food off pots and pans, dried stuff off the countertops, etc.  Love those things.

• Like 1

Swiffer dusters. Changed my life.

My 10x lighted magnifying mirror.

Online grocery shopping.

Headed to Amazon to check out label makers. 😉  ETA: Oh, I so want one. Label-making peeps: I want labels that can be peeled off without leaving residue. Is that a thing?

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Headed to Amazon to check out label makers. 😉  ETA: Oh, I so want one. Label-making peeps: I want labels that can be peeled off without leaving residue. Is that a thing?

Yay!  My Brother PTouch PTD210 doesn't leave residue on anything.  I buy the generic label tape refills, and that has gone okay so far, too.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

bread machine-I would not make homemade bread without it.  I mean, I know how, and I could, but I just wouldn't.

This is cool!  How often do you have to use it, and what machine do you have?

My sliver/splinter kit.  Life changing.

I have my magnifying headband so I can see.  Then a headlamp to light up the area.  Then I have a set of tweezers and needles (sterilize) to get the slivers out.

I am very successful with slivers in other people.  I am moderately successful at removing them from my own hands....hard if it is in my left hand as I am left handed.

15912264658827013119612809051193.jpg

• Like 5

Robot vac

Dishwasher 

Ryobi line of battery operated tools, with 6 batteries accumulated over the years

Impact driver (why so many people stick with a plain drill, other than a few particular applications, is beyond me)

A new laptop (this one is huge. I was using an old, slow one and it was such a pain that I would put off doing things.)

Everything on auto-pay

Grocery pickup

The library FINALLY doing online holds! Limit is 10, which is awful, but they allow each of us to have a separate account, so I can do 40 books. Not enough, but much better than 10.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Jentrovert said:

Robot vac

Dishwasher 

Ryobi line of battery operated tools, with 6 batteries accumulated over the years

Impact driver (why so many people stick with a plain drill, other than a few particular applications, is beyond me)

A new laptop (this one is huge. I was using an old, slow one and it was such a pain that I would put off doing things.)

Everything on auto-pay

Grocery pickup

The library FINALLY doing online holds! Limit is 10, which is awful, but they allow each of us to have a separate account, so I can do 40 books. Not enough, but much better than 10.

I’m also at my hold limit right now. My library is making me a bit dizzy with three different e-loan platforms. They do kindle, overdrive, and cloud library and they all have different selections. I’m happy for the choices. I haven’t even dipped into their streaming service or e-magazine thing. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I’m also at my hold limit right now. My library is making me a bit dizzy with three different e-loan platforms. They do kindle, overdrive, and cloud library and they all have different selections. I’m happy for the choices. I haven’t even dipped into their streaming service or e-magazine thing. 

We have Hoopla, and I do use it, but much prefer actual books. It's nice to have options. It felt like they were *never* going to do online holds. The tab was just sitting there, taunting me every time I logged in, for years. The librarians acted like it was no big deal . . . why would I possibly want to simply click and have my husband pick up books when I can drive a half-hour, corral kids, and search myself? And then, a pandemic. Boom! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Jentrovert said:

I have 100 books on hold/request/in transit right now. This makes me love my local library even more...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jentrovert said:

Oh, that would be wonderful . . . 

When the library announced that it would be closing (due to covid) in March, we had a 24 hour heads-up from one of the children's librarians. That night, I went through their online catalog and put every single book that I knew my kids liked/would reread/had previously mentioned/looked interesting/was science- or math-related/had a complete series available/was illustrated by Ben Hatke or David Shannon on hold. They called the next morning, and I picked up ALL THE BOOKS. We spent our lockdown with just under 200 library books. They reopened on Monday, curbside pick-up and by appointment only, and all of our books are due back next week.

I love my library! Also, I owe them cookies...

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, Jentrovert said:

We have Hoopla, and I do use it, but much prefer actual books. It's nice to have options. It felt like they were *never* going to do online holds. The tab was just sitting there, taunting me every time I logged in, for years. The librarians acted like it was no big deal . . . why would I possibly want to simply click and have my husband pick up books when I can drive a half-hour, corral kids, and search myself? And then, a pandemic. Boom! 

Ohhhh, I thought you meant online holds for ebooks. Our libraries are still all closed for real books. I don’t think I ever checked out ebooks until the pandemic. 

We had online holds for physical books when my kids were little. It was a lifesaver because my son was a maniac toddler and I couldn’t count on being able to browse. I just chased him while DD stocked up and got my own selections at check out. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Noreen Claire said:

When the library announced that it would be closing (due to covid) in March, we had a 24 hour heads-up from one of the children's librarians. That night, I went through their online catalog and put every single book that I knew my kids liked/would reread/had previously mentioned/looked interesting/was science- or math-related/had a complete series available/was illustrated by Ben Hatke or David Shannon on hold. They called the next morning, and I picked up ALL THE BOOKS. We spent our lockdown with just under 200 library books. They reopened on Monday, curbside pick-up and by appointment only, and all of our books are due back next week.

I love my library! Also, I owe them

😍😍😍 WOW

Our librarians are very nice, but the available services just aren't that robust. Most of the library services in the small towns around me seem geared to things other than books. Needed things, like computers with internet, but it can be frustrating for someone just needing books. It only took a couple weeks for us to read all available children's books that were remotely age-appropriate in my local library, they charge for inter-library loan, and have something like a 4 book limit per person. So we drive a half hour and pay an out-of-county fee at a different library. And still waited years for online hold. 😄

• Like 2

When I had babies it was a portable crib. That was awhile ago!  Somewhere in-between then and now, I realized all the ways I could use a printer and how helpful that was.

The recent two items are a cordless super-light vacuum cleaner, and a foldable cart on wheels.  

• Like 1

Meal planning and all that goes with it: the standing freezer for all my bulk cooking, the instapot, the crockpot, the gas stove, and my 3 ring binder full of tried and true recipes that are color coded.

My tea kettle with a thermometer built into the lid.  I don't like it when the water is so hot it makes the tea bitter. I want it at 160-170 F. I can make 3 cups in it at a time and use it every morning for green tea and every evening for chamomile tea.

Waterproof Kindle. Having so many books in one place and easy to transport is great.  Having Kindle Unlimited to check out free books at Amazon is so nice.

Reusables: kitchen trash can/diaper pale liners, napkins, dishtowels/cloths, cloth make up remover pads, cleaning cloths, and hemp coffee filters. It doesn't take any longer ( 1 hour) to wash and dry them than it would take to drive to the store, purchase disposables, and drive back home. And it's so much less expensive. I'm in the process of making reusable, quilted Christmas gift bags with scraps from other quilting projects.

Battery operated machinery (the same battery fits all of these): weed eater, push mower, chain saw, and extended mini chainsaw.

Chauncey, our lawnbot. We have 1.3 acres. Of that, .25 acres is a fenced permaculture food forest and there's a small ornamental/woodland garden that keep us busy.  We don't need to mow the grass in addition to that.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I am in awe.

Your son is the same age as my oldest.  There is absolutely no way I could describe my kids as "things that make my life easier".  More joyful?  Sure.  Worth living?  Yep.  But definitely not easier.

Maybe my husband could go in that category, if he wasn't the cause of 2 of those kids.  

Haha! 

In general, my 13 yo is challenging and does NOT make my life easier.

However, the fact that he and dh do all the heavy yardwork and deal with the machines, does in fact make my life easier. I was a single homeowner for many years and did my own mowing, weed-eating, blowing, hedge trimming etc. I detest that work and am thankful to not even think about it, ever.  

P.S. What makes my life easier with respect to my ds is summer camp! 😉

• Like 3

4 hours ago, rebcoola said:

Online grocery shopping. 

Oh my word I LOATHE online grocery shopping.  It takes me hours every week to put together an order  than make acceptable substitutions, than stay up to the alloted time when new openings are released then submit my order.  then have to go pick it up at a specific time.  Grocery shopping is easily double or more the time investment for me now than just going in person.  I can't wait until its safer to go back in the stores.  

But I will say, I'm not a list shopper.  I shop the discount bread section first, then the discount produce and then I hit the fresh produce and pick up whatever is reasonable price then I pick up dairy.  I buy what's economical and I meal plan based on what's in the house.  I don't care about brand in the slightest so scrolling through lists of things to find the best price drives me nuts.  None of the grocery stores around here has very good search/sort features for online ordering (at least not the way I'd like to see it).  And the grocery store with the best prices/widest selection has the worst site for adding products to an existing order so it takes 3 times as long if you forgot to add something the first time.  

• Like 1

Autopay for bills.  

My iPhone for so much but most especially MOBILE DEPOSIT.  No more going to the bank, basically ever.  

I'm a big label maker user as well.  

A garlic press that allows me to press the garlic out without peeling it or getting peel detritus in my garlic.

• Like 3