Menu

What's a thing that makes your life easier?

hs03842

2 hours ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Oh my word I LOATHE online grocery shopping.  It takes me hours every week to put together an order  than make acceptable substitutions, than stay up to the alloted time when new openings are released then submit my order.  then have to go pick it up at a specific time.  

Oh man that sucks in normal times I do Fred Meyer curbside because it's nextdoor to the children's theater.  They show me all the coupons and everything I have ever bought that is on sale.   They make wonderful substitutions.  

COVID times I use instacart and don't worry about price & coupons as much.  It took me 20 minutes to order today and it was dropped off in under 2 hours.  

Airpods.  I love that I can go for a walk and not worry about a cord getting in my way.  I can just use one and listen to music and still hear if someone starts talking to me.  I can take one out and my music pauses automatically.  I don't even use them every day, but I love them.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I feel the same way about the basketball hoop in our driveway.  

I dream of having a basketball hoop for the boys (and myself!) in the driveway. Sadly, our driveway is a hill that leads to a street which is a steep hill, so it's not going to happen. Boo!

My planner. I don't work nor are there any children in the home but that planner keeps me on task. Before I started using one, I could find a day slipping away without any real accomplishments to show for it. I even have a section for my crafts to help ensure there are no more UFOs (unfinished objects) in my future. It's such a feeling of accomplishment each time I tick off a box.

22 hours ago, LucyStoner said:

Autopay for bills.  

My iPhone for so much but most especially MOBILE DEPOSIT.  No more going to the bank, basically ever.  

I'm a big label maker user as well.  

A garlic press that allows me to press the garlic out without peeling it or getting peel detritus in my garlic.

Do you have a link? That sounds awesome. 

A rubber husband. Which turns out to be a little doohicky that helps you open jars, but I actually only got one because I found the term in a linguistics blog and could not resist pulling it out, showing it to everybody in the family individually, and daring them to guess what it's called. Over-the-top gender essentialism, whatever, I just love that name. (I am secretly twelve, how about you?)

It turned out to be really useful! Best cheap purchase I've ever made on a whim!

• Like 2

A doggy door. We had one for a long time until we moved the last time and I miss it so much. Our new exterior doors have too much glass to put one in so it just stinks. If we get a doggy door we have to get rid of the windows/french door look, cut a hole in a wall, or pay way too much for some custom glass door. Get a doggy door if you can!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paige said:

A doggy door. We had one for a long time until we moved the last time and I miss it so much. Our new exterior doors have too much glass to put one in so it just stinks. If we get a doggy door we have to get rid of the windows/french door look, cut a hole in a wall, or pay way too much for some custom glass door. Get a doggy door if you can!

This made me think of another.  I love our doggie door bell.  I do have to open the door but at least I know when the dog needs to go out. 

• Like 1

The Libby app for finding ebooks!  I’m horrible about having any idea what I want to read.  In the Before Time, our library had a great section right in front with lots of copies of the most popular new books.  Great for impulse shopping when you have lousy executive functioning skills.  Fast forward to now.  I know the library has boatloads of ebooks, but I’m completely overwhelmed by the idea of browsing the library website.  Libby to the rescue! It shows you a list of *available* ebooks, sorted by popularity!  It took me seconds to find several books that caught my eye, and it’s set up to send them directly to my kindle!  Why didn’t I know about this three months ago?

I forgot about these. I just found out this year that they make post-its with lines, which are great for annotating in books (if you don't like writing in the book).  Sometimes my handwriting is pretty terrible so it's nice to be able to recopy and replace a post-it instead of trying to erase in a book.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006JNN2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Steam mop

robot vacuum

replacing carpet with vinyl plank flooring

kindle unlimited for kid’s books 

rotating toys at 80/20 ratio from the garage to playroom 

wall to wall cabinets with bookshelves on top for our dining room/ homeschool room combo to house all of the craft supplies, manipulatives, and school books

This one probably doesn’t apply to many, but my ds with autism, severe anxiety and insomnia has slept in my room on a mattress on the floor for years.  My room has been cluttered with millions of quilts, stuffed animals, pillows, etc.  This week we bought a trundle bed for his room and assured him that if he woke in the night dh or I would come sleep on the trundle on a rotating basis.  Now dh and I are guaranteed a full night sleep at least every other night and we have our own room back!!!  I have no idea why I didn’t think of this solution sooner.

• Like 1

I don't have a DH as of 2 years ago. So last summer I had to move to make life manageable as a single mom. These things have helped:

-Smaller house to organize and clean

-Smaller yard to mow

-Dishwasher (did not have in old house)

-Air conditioning (did not have in old house)

-Fenced yard so we can let the dog out instead of having to walk him 6 times a day (did not have)

-Robovacuum (a quarantine splurge)

-Tension rods-Easiest way to hang curtains, no tools required! 🤣

-Block button on FB 🤣

-Scissors in every room

ETA: Apps to order food. We only get takeout once a week but I love ordering food on apps. The kids can take their time deciding what to get, they can't beg to add on cookies or chips at the restaurant (we have plenty of those at home), the apps save your orders so it makes re-ordering easy, and there are usually great deals you can't get otherwise.

Edited by OH_Homeschooler
  • Like 1