Menu

Coronavirus....why are people stocking up on water and worrying about electricity being out?

Tap

I am seriously asking this question....not trying to be dismissive of peoples attempt at being safe.  I really don't understand and am looking for clarification.

This is specific to corona virus (not general emergency preparedness).  Why are people stocking up on water, disposable plates (etc), and food that doesn't have to be heated?  How would a virus quarantine prevent water or electricity from working? 

I live in the PNW and we are not expecting snow or significant bad weather. This is not people prepping for weather or natural disasters. People are getting in fights over bottled water. Why????? (Friend works in a store where this happened, so not a rumor).

• Like 6

My guess is that it's a weird muscle-memory-like-reaction. We've been trained all of our lives to think no power/no water when planning for most emergencies. So it's hard for some people to let go of that for this particular scenario.

• Like 6

Posted at the same time as Pawz, saying mostly the same thing...

Also, people are being told to prep/stock up. Most prepping prior to this (at least that which gets attention) tends to focus on large-scale disaster (EMP, government collapse) in which case, utilities would be unavailable. So people may think "be prepared" = copious amounts of bottles water. 

• Like 2

Because PG&E is famous for power outages in NorCal and parts of SoCal. We had power shutoffs in October and November.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_California_power_shutoffs

“The 2019 California power shutoffs, known as public safety power shutoff (PSPS) events, are massive preemptive  power shutoffs occurring in approximately 30 counties in Northern California and several areas in Southern California from October 9 to present, by Pacific Gas and Electric Company(PG&E), Southern California Edison (SCE), and San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E). The power shutoffs are an attempt to prevent wildfires from being started by electrical equipment during strong and dry winds. The shutoffs initially affected around 800,000 customers, or about 2.5 million people[4][5][6][needs update] but expanded to cause over 3 million people to lose utility-provided electrical power by late October as more  utility companies from around the state also did preemptive power shutoffs.”

• Like 1

I agree that it's just "emergency preparedness" general reaction and not rational. Except maybe for PG&E customers, who maybe should just always be ready to lose power for no reason.

I did see some people suggest that some people do regularly need it - for medical equipment, for certain pets, because they have particular water quality issues and buy more water anyway... but I think it's mostly irrational. I certainly didn't buy any.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Because PG&E is famous for power outages in NorCal and parts of SoCal. We had power shutoffs in October and November.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_California_power_shutoffs

“The 2019 California power shutoffs, known as public safety power shutoff (PSPS) events, are massive preemptive  power shutoffs occurring in approximately 30 counties in Northern California and several areas in Southern California from October 9 to present, by Pacific Gas and Electric Company(PG&E), Southern California Edison (SCE), and San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E). The power shutoffs are an attempt to prevent wildfires from being started by electrical equipment during strong and dry winds. The shutoffs initially affected around 800,000 customers, or about 2.5 million people[4][5][6][needs update] but expanded to cause over 3 million people to lose utility-provided electrical power by late October as more  utility companies from around the state also did preemptive power shutoffs.”

Sincere question...not snark.  I understand the rolling blackouts due to weather and subsequent hardships. How does this relate to the corona virus?

• Like 1

I don't get it. People were piling bottled water into carts today at the store. And we have feet of snow on the ground right now. Worse case scenario and all of our wells stop working and we can start boiling melted snow. We will not have a water shortage here. 

• Like 1

I admit to picking up 1 case of water bottles & 1 gallon of distilled water when I did my grocery stock up run- I fully understand that I am most likely to have power and water. In fact, my food prep is mainly a freezer meal session, not shelf stable rice and beans. 

My reasoning? I have a child who has to drink over 100 oz of water a day due to a health condition, and another child who has to use distilled water in a piece of medical equipment. Heaven forbid, our water goes out - we can't leave to go stay with someone else if we're quarantined.

I also picked up Brita filters which is how we do 99% of our water here. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AmandaVT said:

I don't get it. People were piling bottled water into carts today at the store. And we have feet of snow on the ground right now. Worse case scenario and all of our wells stop working and we can start boiling melted snow. We will not have a water shortage here. 

It doesn't make any sense to me, either.  Although some people think the local water is unhealthy and don't drink it, in which case it's like stocking a staple.  (I think it tastes bad, but it's still potable water.)

But yesterday I had to do a little shopping (was out of milk) and I was very strategic in picking an older, smaller, more tired Safeway instead of the very crowded and stripped out Costcos, Targets, and Whole Foods's.  I did find everything I wanted except allegra.  Which DH got elsewhere, so we are fine.

19 minutes ago, Tap said:

This is specific to corona virus (not general emergency preparedness).  Why are people stocking up on water, disposable plates (etc), and food that doesn't have to be heated?  How would a virus quarantine prevent water or electricity from working? 

I didn't stock up on water, but some of my stocking up included shelf stable items because it doubles as emergency preparedness as we head into tornado season. I plan to check my water stash as we get closer to tornado season. Other stuff is ordinary but became more of a priority vs. putting it off another month (ordering a half a steer--we were almost out and definitely down to "fussy" cuts of beef).

I also bought easy to fix food in case we don't feel well enough to do normal cooking.

I bought disposable plates and such because someone in my household works in the medical field--there is a good chance that a patient could be improperly triaged or a patient is not yet showing symptoms could be part of this person's case load, and this member of my household could be exposed. If we have a quarantine situation at home, I am not washing this person's dishes--they can use disposable plates, etc. Also because we might not feel well enough to cook if we're infected, even if we don't require hospitalization.

None of our buying was enormous, just careful. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

People are preparing for a double whammy; Murphy’s law.

I am really trying to understand. Just continuing the conversation, feel free to not reply if you feel like I a picking on you.  Why would the virus be part of a double whammy? It doesn't affect water/electricity. This is one of the  worst flu seasons in the past 10 years. People aren't stocking up on flu supplies.  Wouldn't people who live in those areas already have a stock of water if they felt they needed it? I guess my question is.....why prepare now?  Aside from a few people who may be rotating stock, or setting up new supplies/adding for extra people, it doesn't explain the masses of people making a huge run for water. 

I haven't stocked up on bottled water because I don't get it either. 
But, when someone here has something pretty contagious, I do give you food on paper plates/plastic utensils, canned/bottled drinks - mostly so you can toss them all and we don't have to concern ourselves with washing our hands every time we handle your dishes until they come out of the dishwasher. 
But we drink a lot of seltzer water regularly, so we have a variety of cans and a few bottles always handy. 

18 minutes ago, Tap said:

I am really trying to understand. Just continuing the conversation, feel free to not reply if you feel like I a picking on you.  Why would the virus be part of a double whammy? It doesn't affect water/electricity. 

People are hedging their bets that a quarantine would happen the same time as a power outage and some prefer bottled water to filtering their water. Also the news says that shelves will start to be empty in April. 

E.g. https://www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/guid/38731CC2-4CD3-11EA-B630-D3AA685BDC0A

https://news.yahoo.com/u-could-see-empty-shelves-184700616.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/u-s-could-see-some-empty-shelves-mid-april-if-n1144351

“But global supply chains running on lean inventories could be vulnerable to disruptions as suppliers are cut off from markets or can't access critical components or essential ingredients.

If production isn't restarted soon, the bottlenecks could lead to some bare shelves at brick-and-mortar retailers by mid-April, with stores such as Target and Walmart at the greatest risk, Kelly wrote.

Supply chain disruptions and shortages have the potential to hit retailers such as Best Buy, Michaels and Wayfair in the near future, considering that 60 percent to 70 percent of their inventory comes from China.

Even Costco, BJ's Wholesale Club and Kroger could see issues because of China's role in packaging materials and basic paper products.”

ETA:

When we are sick, we drink bottled water. Not in the mood to filter and boil.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Tap said:

I am seriously asking this question....not trying to be dismissive of peoples attempt at being safe.  I really don't understand and am looking for clarification.

I live in the PNW and we are not expecting snow or significant bad weather. This is not people prepping for weather or natural disasters. People are getting in fights over bottled water. Why????? (Friend works in a store where this happened, so not a rumor).

Well for me personally we are low on tank water so I want a back up supply if we can’t get a water truck

There was a couple of indicators I think from China that during the worst in Wuhan there was some risk to the electricity supply.  It does depend on keeping healthy workers to keep everything functioning.  I don’t think realistically we’re looking at that scenario at this point.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sassenach said:

People went bananas this weekend. Water and toilet paper were totally wiped out. I guess I'll be ordering tp on amazon!

Safeway has plenty. Grocery outlet too. ETA: I mean toilet paper and bottled water 

55C71137-CB70-48A1-B1AF-95FAEE61AC94.jpeg

Edited by Arcadia

43 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I agree that it's just "emergency preparedness" general reaction and not rational. Except maybe for PG&E customers, who maybe should just always be ready to lose power for no reason.

I did see some people suggest that some people do regularly need it - for medical equipment, for certain pets, because they have particular water quality issues and buy more water anyway... but I think it's mostly irrational. I certainly didn't buy any.

More than just PG and E people---- All of us in tornado land should always be prepared for long power outages.  While we have most of our tornadoes in Fall and Spring, we also have them in  the winter and summer and also lots of severe thunderstorms in the summer.  Not only that, lots of people live in areas where there is really hard water like my area-- unless you want to add kidney stones to your disaster or pandemic, you should always be either buying water that isn't hard or softening the water.  We do not soften because that increases heart attack risks and both dh and I are at increased risk because of heredity.   I will be buying even more water than usual because if areas are quarentined or lots of people are sick, we will have shortages of water shipments.

• Like 3

Because people that drink bottled water are buying enough for weeks or months at a time instead of a normal supply.

In other areas of the country it's time to do Hurricane preps soon.

Because they saw stuff on the news about water & sewers being contaminated with the virus in China and misunderstood.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I am wondering about impact in stuff like seasonal clothing for the kids etc.  if factories aren’t up and running.  They’re starting but not at full capacity yet.

Long article 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/callyrussell/2020/03/02/what-does-coronavirus-mean-for-retail-supply-chains/#d75190f2edc9

“The World Trade Statistical Review found that in 2018 – the most recent data available – China exported $118.5bn (£91.1bn) of textiles and $157.8bn (£121.5bn) of clothing, making it the world’s biggest exporter of these categories. China is a major producer of cotton, fabrics and silk, and its factories churn out everything from coats to swimsuits for fashion brands, from H&M and Next to higher-end designers such as Tory Burch.

... Mid-market fashion brands have more supply chain exposure to China than their luxury peers. Analysts have commented that while rising labor costs mean China is not as important a manufacturer as it used to be, it is still a major source of fabrics for garment makers in places such as Bangladesh and Vietnam.  

And even if its not the manufacturing hub it once was there are some categories where it still has a huge impact, in an off the record conversation with one leading UK brand this week they informed me that 100% of their footwear had some level of Chinese development in it. 

For retailers, who follow a traditional two-season model with long lead times, luckily most stock for spring and summer will already have been dispatched before the virus hit, and will be en route to distribution centers. The bigger issue is whether manufacturing and dispatch of autumn-winter stock will be disrupted by a delayed return to work in China after the lunar New Year.”

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I am wondering about impact in stuff like seasonal clothing for the kids etc.  if factories aren’t up and running.  They’re starting but not at full capacity yet.

Well I for one would be THRILLED if seasonal clothing was delayed so you know they might actually sell summer clothes in the summer instead of when it's 10 degrees outside.  I'd even be happy if they would sell summer clothes in the spring but usually they are clearancing it out before summer ever starts. 

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Well I for one would be THRILLED if seasonal clothing was delayed so you know they might actually sell summer clothes in the summer instead of when it's 10 degrees outside.  I'd even be happy if they would sell summer clothes in the spring but usually they are clearancing it out before summer ever starts. 

I dunno. Who wants to buy a bathing suit in July? That's just crazy talk. Or, at least, that's what my Target seems to think.

• Like 3
  • Haha 14

12 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

It would be winter for Australia when it’s spring here. Shortage of summer clothing isn’t an issue. Shortage of winter clothing and shoes might be an issue.

• Like 1

If workers can't work on downed power lines because they are sick or there are quarantines, then the power will be out for longer than normal.  I live in the PNW as well, and the power goes out all the time around here.  And if the power is out for long enough, the wells that supply our community system will eventually stop working.

• Like 6

In our area ( remote north of Canada), there are very few people who know how to run the water operating plant. One time when a guy went on vacation, his replacement did not understand the importance of chlorine so when they ran out of the additive, he told no one. Yes , this is a true story.  Lots of diarrhea that month!  If this hit our area hard, it would be entirely possible for all staff who know how to operate the plant to be out with the virus. Also power goes out a lot up here during the spring , which immediately affects the water system.  It would not be at all surprising for both events to occur at the same time.  As there is only one store, and many of us get groceries flown in ( which if there is a power outage, both our internet and cell phones won't work and therefore will not be able to arrange)  .  It might not happen.  But it might.  Why not get the water and be on the safe side.  We have had times where internet and phones were out for several weeks.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 5

Pandemic

Before a Pandemic

• Store a two week supply of water and food.
  • Periodically check your regular prescription drugs to ensure a continuous supply in your home.
  • Have any nonprescription drugs and other health supplies on hand, including pain relievers, stomach remedies, cough and cold medicines, fluids with electrolytes, and vitamins.
  • Get copies and maintain electronic versions of health records from doctors, hospitals, pharmacies and other sources and store them, for personal reference. Get help accessing electronic health records.
  • Talk with family members and loved ones about how they would be cared for if they got sick, or what will be needed to care for them in your home.

During a Pandemic

Limit the Spread of Germs and Prevent Infection

Avoid close contact with people who are sick.

When you are sick, keep your distance from others to protect them from getting sick too.

Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing. It may prevent those around you from getting sick.

Washing your hands often will help protect you from germs.

Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.

Practice other good health habits. Get plenty of sleep, be physically active, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids, and eat nutritious food.

I’m just adding this here too.  It’s from Ready.gov - came up in my Apple news and is supposedly for Us Department of homeland security.

interestingly most of the advice we are receiving now is of the “during a pandemic variety”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

It would be winter for Australia when it’s spring here. Shortage of summer clothing isn’t an issue. Shortage of winter clothing and shoes might be an issue.

Yes this!  I think we can get buy for the younger two but oldest is growing like crazy.

16 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I’m just adding this here too.  It’s from Ready.gov - came up in my Apple news and is supposedly for Us Department of homeland security.

interestingly most of the advice we are receiving now is of the “during a pandemic variety”

It is by US Department of Homeland Security for the public https://www.ready.gov/pandemic

Those of us who prep for earthquakes would have the basics https://www.ready.gov/kit

Main website https://www.ready.gov/plan

• Like 2

I was at Costco this weekend. I saw a few people moving really fast to grab multiple packages each of bottled water and toilet paper, and I heard one guy talking about buying it now because people were already panicking.  Other than that, I didn't notice anyone else in the store who looked like they were buying up anything special.  It was just a typical weekend at Costco.  My only special purchase was a box of Mucinex.  It will likely take several years to use up, unless we all get really sick, but it always makes a huge difference for us when respiratory illness gets bad.  My adult dc will be visiting soon over spring break, so I'll send some back with them, as well, just in case.   

Because Murphy. Sure, electricity will probably be fine. But if we get high winds, a storm, or a tornado, it may not. March is a windy time here, and if we lose electricity and the people at the electric company who fix those things can’t come out, better to be prepared. Our water comes from a well (live rurally). If we have the bad luck to have the well pump go out, extra water comes in handy, especially if the pump company is short staffed because of sickness or can’t come at all because of quarantine.

That said, I haven’t gone crazy stocking up, just bought a few canned goods and some water to replace what we used up the time the well pump actually did go out. I’ve been meaning to do it for months. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, emba56 said:

Because Murphy. Sure, electricity will probably be fine. But if we get high winds, a storm, or a tornado, it may not. March is a windy time here, and if we lose electricity and the people at the electric company who fix those things can’t come out, better to be prepared. Our water comes from a well (live rurally). If we have the bad luck to have the well pump go out, extra water comes in handy, especially if the pump company is short staffed because of sickness or can’t come at all because of quarantine.

That said, I haven’t gone crazy stocking up, just bought a few canned goods and some water to replace what we used up the time the well pump actually did go out. I’ve been meaning to do it for months. 

And some non perishables makes sense in event of quarantine/ lockdown because many fresh foods won’t keep more than a couple of weeks even in a refrigerator.  Frozen will keep longer, so long as no power disruptions. Still, non perishable foods can allow a longer time in quarantine or lock down

also some people have quite small refrigerators and or freezers and may only be able to fit a few days fresh food, but can store more non perishable even if it’s the bag of beans and bag of rice under a bed type method 

not to mention that appliance go bad.  Our refrigerator/freezer combo died recently.  And almost everything in it had to be thrown out.  I am glad to have a new one now going into this whole global health emergency. 

• Like 3

I was out on Saturday and people were going wild. Someone was shouting across the store, "They're out of rubbing alcohol!", which was followed by a general rumble of stress through the accumulated population. I was confused about wth was going on til after I left that store empty-handed because of the lines and the general anxiety of everyone there.

Once it dawned on me WHY people were freaking out, I joined in and went out to another store and grabbed an additional case of water bottles (we always keep on case on hand). There was plenty to be found here.

I also stocked up on cold/flu meds because it's now on my mind and I realized we were out. And chicken soup because same. And Sprite. And Kleenex. And hand soap because, why not? And, while I had looked through the cabinets to see what we were out of, I realized we were low on BandAids and Neosporin. And Advil. And.... So, it was really just that I happened to be out of a lot of stuff and hadn't realized until all the coronavirus stuff started becoming prevalent.

But, I never fought anyone over hand sanitizer or toilet paper. I swear. ... ...But... I did buy some rubbing alcohol that I didn't know I needed til some stranger was panicked that he couldn't find any. 😀

It helped a lot with my anxiety over this (over any virus, really). I can't do much, but I sure feel better with chicken noodle, cough drops, and hand sanitizer in the house.

Then, I told my oldest DD (who is away at college) to go stock up her flu-prep stuff and she came up empty at the first store. Second store - she easily found everything she needed. (She had a bad case of the flu last year and only by the grace of God did she have stuff on hand to eat - I had JUST nagged her about it two days before she got sick.) So, for her, coronavirus or flu - I wanted her to have stuff on hand because I don't trust any of her friends to drop it by her dorm if she's very ill.

Edited by easypeasy
  • Like 5

I went to Costco yesterday and the lines were like Thanksgiving or Christmas. Paper towel and toilet paper seemed to be in a lot of carts. I picked up Lysol wipes only because they were on my list. Oh, and no samples😕I was hoping to have a few snacks😜 As far as I know, we’ve had no cases near us. I live in NOVA.

4 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Must admit I saw some headline about power outage in Nashville or something while scrolling and thought of this thread.  Hopefully they all stocked up for coronavirus.

Bad Tornado

perfect example of how a second problem can come on top of another 

@Tap

when I bring up pictures sometimes my cellphone chooses to show a photo I took on same date another year.  From that I am reminded that in early March there was a big snow storm since I had this cellphone — maybe just last year or year before— taking out our power, and our road access to stores too.  thus because our well works by electricity, also our water   And I know that has even happened in April too. 

Then in summer the west coast of USA,  or at least parts, goes into dry and wildfires season, and that gives a different need for back up water.

plus west coast is subject to earthquakes (andsometimes volcano problems like Mt St Helens, or Tsunami problems parts of coast, though those are rarer) 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, easypeasy said:

I was out on Saturday and people were going wild. Someone was shouting across the store, "They're out of rubbing alcohol!", which was followed by a general rumble of stress through the accumulated population. I was confused about wth was going on til after I left that store empty-handed because of the lines and the general anxiety of everyone there.

Once it dawned on me WHY people were freaking out, I joined in and went out to another store and grabbed an additional case of water bottles (we always keep on case on hand). There was plenty to be found here.

I also stocked up on cold/flu meds because it's now on my mind and I realized we were out. And chicken soup because same. And Sprite. And Kleenex. And hand soap because, why not? And, while I had looked through the cabinets to see what we were out of, I realized we were low on BandAids and Neosporin. And Advil. And.... So, it was really just that I happened to be out of a lot of stuff and hadn't realized until all the coronavirus stuff started becoming prevalent.

But, I never fought anyone over hand sanitizer or toilet paper. I swear. ... ...But... I did buy some rubbing alcohol that I didn't know I needed til some stranger was panicked that he couldn't find any. 😀

It helped a lot with my anxiety over this (over any virus, really). I can't do much, but I sure feel better with chicken noodle, cough drops, and hand sanitizer in the house.

Then, I told my oldest DD (who is away at college) to go stock up her flu-prep stuff and she came up empty at the first store. Second store - she easily found everything she needed. (She had a bad case of the flu last year and only by the grace of God did she have stuff on hand to eat - I had JUST nagged her about it two days before she got sick.) So, for her, coronavirus or flu - I wanted her to have stuff on hand because I don't trust any of her friends to drop it by her dorm if she's very ill.

Yep!  This is me, but I haven’t seen anyone freaking out here.  Just stocking up.  It eases my mind to know we have some supplies and thay my dad has enough to shelter in place for a couple of weeks if I can’t get to him.  

And...while I don’t think it will happen that we lose electricity and water, but at some point, it takes people to run these things and they may not be available.  We have no odea what is going to happen wit this thing.  For me, better safe than sorry.

Most everything I bought, including the water, will be used.  I have spent a LOT of time taking care of my dad the last year and a half and, when I started seeing what I might want to stock up on for Coronavirus, I realized how much I let slip at home during that time.  So now I have backup toiletires, etc.  Feels good to feel a little prepared.

I do have to admit that my boys and I read aloud One Second After last year.  That was intense and that may have also played a lottle part in my stocking up 😁.  That was based on an EMP though.  I’m not a prepper by any means, but there are some things I want to try and keep on hand going forward.

10 hours ago, Tap said:

I am really trying to understand. Just continuing the conversation, feel free to not reply if you feel like I a picking on you.  Why would the virus be part of a double whammy? It doesn't affect water/electricity. This is one of the  worst flu seasons in the past 10 years. People aren't stocking up on flu supplies.  Wouldn't people who live in those areas already have a stock of water if they felt they needed it? I guess my question is.....why prepare now?  Aside from a few people who may be rotating stock, or setting up new supplies/adding for extra people, it doesn't explain the masses of people making a huge run for water. 

I think it’s like the first few posters, Pawz, Allison, Arctic, said: people *think* they should “be prepared” and if they don’t have a logical list of what that means, they just stock up on whatever things they see other people buying and/or on what they usually buy. 

I went to Costco Sunday (not because of the virus, but because I’m coming back from a trip and we are low on our ordinary stock) and it was legitimately the most mind-bogglingly crowded I have ever seen it. Also, some of the things that were out of stock were absolutely baffling. I noticed in one aisle the frozen section that has “Uncrustables” - those gross, frozen PB&J sandwiches - were out of stock with a couple of empty boxes sitting there. Who stocks up on frozen PB&J?! In fact, the frozen foods section overall looked depleted. Other out of stock things were more logical: they were out of wipes, for instance. 

I did see at least one shopper with four cases of water on her cart, but there are other legit reasons people do this ordinarily; it’s not like I have never seen it before. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Yeah, for some reason, stock up advice has been including water.  

Another way to look at it is no water will kill you faster than no food, and faster than the Coronavirus in most cases too. 

So likelihood of ending up with no water may be small in cities with municipal systems piping it independent of electricity.

But if it does stop, the risk of serious troubles are huge. 

So get some.  But it doesn’t need to be clearing shelves.

We “lose” our water which is from an electric pump in a well pretty much every year in some storm, sometimes multiple times .  I have some potable water for drinking stored.

But I also have big 32 gallon garbage cans that I fill with a hose to give water for non-drinking purposes 

one task today will be to refill them because I didn’t after last storm and outage

i think I have 4 water garbage cans total and right now only two of them have water left

i will also check the quality of the water in the two full ones

• Like 1

We have a well, and lose power OFTEN (weather problems, car crashes into electrical pole somewhere in town, random no-apparent-reason, etc.), which means no water. No flushing the toilet, no showers, no ability to wipe down the counters, nothing. Multiply that shortage by # of people in the house and # of days of outage. We stay permanently "ready" with emergency backups, but when *any disruption is predicted, we do "top off" our supplies because we've learned the hard way.

• Like 4

We use distilled water for dh's CPAP and in humidifiers.  I picked up an extra gallon when I was shopping yesterday.   The store had plenty of bottled water.

Items that I noticed were in short supply were cold remedies, chicken noodle soup, and ramen noodles.   The store had plenty of canned soups, even other varieties of chicken soup, but no four-packs of chicken noodle and only a few single cans.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pen said:

And some non perishables makes sense in event of quarantine/ lockdown because many fresh foods won’t keep more than a couple of weeks even in a refrigerator.  Frozen will keep longer, so long as no power disruptions. Still, non perishable foods can allow a longer time in quarantine or lock down

also some people have quite small refrigerators and or freezers and may only be able to fit a few days fresh food, but can store more non perishable even if it’s the bag of beans and bag of rice under a bed type method 

not to mention that appliance go bad.  Our refrigerator/freezer combo died recently.  And almost everything in it had to be thrown out.  I am glad to have a new one now going into this whole global health emergency. 

Yeah, I’m all set for flour, rice, and beans because I buy them 20 lbs at a time anyway. Not prepping, they just keep well and we use a lot. Since I can’t just run to the store easily, I like to keep lots of staples on hand.

Local Sam's here said their weekend sales were 90% higher this past weekend than the year before.  She said the almost empty shelves are allowing them to deep clean. 

I definitely have read articles about what to buy for preparation and toilet paper, water and paper towels were on the list.  Not sure why.