Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

6 minutes ago, Kassia said:

@kbutton I hope your friend can be treated right away and get relief.  That is scary.  I'm sorry.

I know the wait times are insane, and I can't imagine feeling so bad and having to wait so long. It won't matter where she goes around here in that regard. Our local area is a hot mess. 

• Sad 5

Ok, another update. Again assuming Omicron bc of where we are. MIL, 78, is on the mend 3days after symptoms. No temp today and less pressure in her chest. She said if she didn’t know it was Covid she’d have thought it was a cold with flu overtones. She is double vaxed in June, no booster. SIL, 48, is also feeling better and had fewer symptoms.

Edited by freesia
  • Like 12

Just an anecdotal tidbit for anyone who's been following Evusheld -- a couple of patients on the cancer board I belong to have received it in the past week. I believe both of them have multiple myeloma. They said it's two injections, one in each arm, then a one-hour observation period. Neither report any side effects so far.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, kbutton said:

She has no pneumonia or blood clots, so they sent her home to watch her oxygen levels. I am still nervous, but this is very good news! Praise God!

Thank you for the update!  Glad she was seen and hope she feels better soon.  Scary.  😞

• Like 1

I've read that under fives seem to be more at risk from Omicron than older kids. We've had two deaths in Australia of under fives that I know of. I hope they hurry up with the under 5s vaccine. 

23 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

%positive doesn’t work for now due to reporting of positive RATs I guess

Right - data now is really stuffed. I hope they sort it out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bookbard said:

I've read that under fives seem to be more at risk from Omicron than older kids. We've had two deaths in Australia of under fives that I know of. I hope they hurry up with the under 5s vaccine.

I've been icreasingly reading about this. I was reading this evening the thought that because the upper airways are smaller in very young children, this more upper airway focused version is harder on them. A lot of doctors are reporting seeing a lot of covid induced croup in small children. I also saw these numbers:

1 minute ago, Rosie_0801 said:

That's like pulling a Christmas cracker and having a cockroach fall out. Surprise!

See, now my kids would quite like that! 😂

44 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I’ve seen it but even freaked out medical people seem to be saying the most likely explanation is sample contamination at this point and those numbers.  So that calmed me down a bit.

• Like 7

18,000 for QLD. Both QLD and NSW are moving toward a model of essential worker close contacts continuing to work provided they remain asymptomatic and negative on RAT and their company can prove they are really critical.  In the areas of food logistics and manufacturing only for now.

Actually it looks like QLD are using a broader definition of critical industries. Here’s the list from the ABC blog.

• health (private hospitals included)
  • emergency services
  • resource sector
  • power and utilities
  • agriculture and fisheries
  • production
  • freight and logistics
  • public transport
  • teachers
  • essential retail such as supermarkets
  • and stores in remote locations and communities

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

That's like pulling a Christmas cracker and having a cockroach fall out. Surprise!

Apt description!

9 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I’ve seen it but even freaked out medical people seem to be saying the most likely explanation is sample contamination at this point and those numbers.  So that calmed me down a bit.

That would be a nice explanation! Since people can have multiple flu strains...let's hope your intel is correct.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

18,000 for QLD. Both QLD and NSW are moving toward a model of essential worker close contacts continuing to work provided they remain asymptomatic and negative on RAT and their company can prove they are really critical.  In the areas of food logistics and manufacturing only for now.

Education and childcare included in NSW. 

I really don't want to work with close contacts of Covid infected people. I can accept casual contacts.

I don't trust RATs will be available for testing, and if they are, the disincentives for families and staff to use them and be honest about results are huge. 

7 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

30-50pc of coles and Woolworths distribution workers absent as close contacts. They are scrapping close contact requirements for them to avoid food shortages. This is what failure looks like.

Just read that in South Australia meat workers can go to work if they are positive https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-10/covid-positive-abattoir-staff-told-to-keep-working-in-sa/100748372

Having no food at all on the shelves in supermarkets is pretty grim . This is the taking personal responsibility and the Living with Covid that the government was spouting looks like https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-10/two-to-three-weeks-of-supermarket-supply-disruptions-ahead/100747880 way worse than the height of panic buying during lockdown

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

My poor grocery delivery driver turned up just before midnight last night. Everything arrived except chicken.  Thankfully we have our own meat supply if needed here so won’t be too bad if things get worse, but have spoken to a couple of people who say the shops were looking well-stocked this morning.  I feel crappy that people are being expected to work alongside covid positive or possible covid positive people to keep it that way though.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Just heard that they're considering not counting deaths in NSW of people who died of Covid, but also had an end of life diagnosis. Which is just . . . 

I'm not feeling well today, was able to get a PCR test with only a 10min wait, feel really lucky. My co-worker's husband has confirmed Covid, she has been negative on tests but has the same symptoms so assumes she has it. She's off for the next 2 weeks, luckily we're able to swap staff around easily.

My kids got vaccinated yesterday. All good, minor sore arms today. My booster due this week. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

We’ve had a bit of a drop in numbers the last two days in SA. 2,921 today. It’s likely just weekend numbers as testing has dropped some but it’s possible that things have peaked a bit earlier with people being more cautious and some density restrictions.  1 woman in her 50s died yesterday.  44pc of eligible have boosters.  About 41 paramedics out if I understand right. 211 in hospital and 22 in ICU.

so far we’ve had 19 deaths- it was at 4 all the way back to April 2020 prior to the borders opening.

We now have more daily cases flying into NZ than we have community spread. We have been running around 30 omicron cases each day flying into quarantine and around 20 delta cases in the community each day. The scientists are very worried that omicron is going to hop the border before we are ready. We can't boost about 50% of people until mid Feb even with a 4 month gap. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, lewelma said:

We now have more daily cases flying into NZ than we have community spread. We have been running around 30 omicron cases each day flying into quarantine and around 20 delta cases in the community each day. The scientists are very worried that omicron is going to hop the border before we are ready. We can't boost about 50% of people until mid Feb even with a 4 month gap. 

At least you’re still trying. Hopefully you can hold it back.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ausmumof3 said:

At least you’re still trying. Hopefully you can hold it back.

Agreed. Given the government response so far, when omicron does hop the border, I'm am sure that there will be strong public health measures to hold it in check. The longer we delay, the more likely we can get effective vaccines and treatments. Our death count is 51 per 5 million.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I feel crappy that people are being expected to work alongside covid positive or possible covid positive people to keep it that way though.

Yup. And these workers can't afford to be sick and miss work, so lots of pressure to work I'm assuming. And from my non scientific observation of people with Long Covid, not getting enough rest while sick is correlated with symptoms lingering months later. So, more likely to cause long term disability, which is really a dumb strategy long term. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

3 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Yup. And these workers can't afford to be sick and miss work, so lots of pressure to work I'm assuming. And from my non scientific observation of people with Long Covid, not getting enough rest while sick is correlated with symptoms lingering months later. So, more likely to cause long term disability, which is really a dumb strategy long term. 

Have there been any advancements in mask technology lately.? Cuz doing nothing is not what “learn to live with it” should mean. Maybe once we all have anti COVID pills… which is not now!

3 hours ago, Kanin said:

Have there been any advancements in mask technology lately.? Cuz doing nothing is not what “learn to live with it” should mean. Maybe once we all have anti COVID pills… which is not now!

I think a well fitted mask with high filtration is still looking very effective. The problem is that not enough people are wearing that type of mask.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, KSera said:

I think a well fitted mask with high filtration is still looking very effective. The problem is that not enough people are wearing that type of mask.

Partly because they are more expensive, and are becoming VERY hard to find! I have some coming, I hope they fit us, as all the ones I've bought before are sold out. 

4 hours ago, Kanin said:

The SonoMask uses a washable, antimicrobial cloth. It’s about $50 per mask but is supposedly good. I’ve read that they run small but I don’t know for sure. Something to check if you buy one.

• Like 1

Just now, Melissa Louise said:

NSW - $1000 fine for not registering the positive result from the RAT none of us can find/afford. Glad they've got their priorities straight!

Can you think of a better way to stop people buying RATs? Now no one will bother testing at all. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, bookbard said:

My PCR results came back in less than 24 hrs (text at 2am!) - negative, thank goodness. I guess the quick line up and response are a benefit of not being in the city.

Good news on the research front - Covid loses 90% of ability to infect within 20 minutes in air

Glad you were negative!

This study has been  critiqued on med Twitter today. It's an unreviewed piece with some issues that don't translate to real world conditions and don't match what has been seen in super spreader events. It also was done pre omicron. I'm not ready to change anything based on this piece at this point.

Edited by KSera
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, KSera said:

This study has been  critiqued on med Twitter today. It's an unreviewed piece with some issues that don't translate to real world conditions and don't match what has been seen in super spreader events. It also was done pre omicron. I'm not ready to change anything based on this piece at this point.

Ah, thanks for that update. Oh well!

13 hours ago, Kanin said:

Well, at dds’ university there is a female student who has become famous for wearing a full face military grade gas mask every single day while masks are required on campus. So that’s an option. 🤣

Edited by popmom
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Add 7 more deaths in SA although apparently they didn’t all happen in the last 24 hours, which is supposed to somehow make it better. My gut feel is it’s catch up reporting from aged care and given the number of ambo call outs to certain aged care homes there’s likely more to come that haven’t been recorded yet.

We’re at about 3,800 cases with a ref of 1.1 so definitely slowing at this time also without massive increases in percent positive.  I know more people locally who have it.