Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

12 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

The cases in my state are still under investigation by the coroner I think.  We haven’t had any covid deaths since April 2020 until last week.

Premier was very quick to say they were covid-positive deaths not yet known of covid as it’s much better politically for him if that turns out to be the case. The media are asking daily about the baby so we should get an answer soon. The relatives of the 96 year old lady were on social media saying that she had no serious health conditions and was in good health prior to catching Covid though of course she was 96.  

The child under or around 2 that died I SA the other day had Hyrocephalus (I think . ) My sister has a child with this condition and was in the same  online support group and knows the mother. 😢

Sadly it is a condition that can deteriorate  rapidly with even an ordinary cold.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

The child under or around 2 that died I SA the other day had Hyrocephalus (I think . ) My sister has a child with this condition and was in the same  online support group and knows the mother. 😢

Sadly it is a condition that can deteriorate  rapidly with even an ordinary cold.

Wow thanks.  There so very little information being made public for privacy reasons, but obviously people with healthy kids want to know how worried to be.

Also I’m sorry about your sister’s child… that sounds scary to deal with.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Thanks 1

ABC- scomo is making it clear what the real motivation behind not providing free testing anymore - it’s about making sure businesses can make money out of it. I know people were claiming this but I didn’t believe it till he came out and actually said it 😒. Unbelievable!

He said businesses needed confidence they would not be "undercut" by free testing regimes.

"By making that policy very, very clear, then that means the private market, whether it's in the big warehouse pharmacies or the other pharmacies or the supermarkets, they can now go and stock their shelves with confidence that they won't be undercut by the government," Mr Morrison said.

• Sad 5

6 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

ABC- scomo is making it clear what the real motivation behind not providing free testing anymore - it’s about making sure businesses can make money out of it. I know people were claiming this but I didn’t believe it till he came out and actually said it 😒. Unbelievable!

He said businesses needed confidence they would not be "undercut" by free testing regimes.

"By making that policy very, very clear, then that means the private market, whether it's in the big warehouse pharmacies or the other pharmacies or the supermarkets, they can now go and stock their shelves with confidence that they won't be undercut by the government," Mr Morrison said.

I have a lot of hate in my heart right now. This man is a fake Christian.

Did you see his photo with the $150 barramundi for NYE? 

@popmom I thought you might be interested in this stat from QLD. I haven’t seen similar for our state yet but will let you know if I do. I’m taking from this that 27 of the cases are in hospital for other reasons.

QLD: Vaccination rate of hospitalisations 

Dr Gerrard says there are 170 people in hospital with COVID-19 but Queensland Health figures say 147 of those are "specifically requiring treatment for COVID-19".

Of those, 39 cases are unvaccinated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

@popmom I thought you might be interested in this stat from QLD. I haven’t seen similar for our state yet but will let you know if I do. I’m taking from this that 27 of the cases are in hospital for other reasons.

QLD: Vaccination rate of hospitalisations 

Dr Gerrard says there are 170 people in hospital with COVID-19 but Queensland Health figures say 147 of those are "specifically requiring treatment for COVID-19".

Of those, 39 cases are unvaccinated.

😔 maybe I’m tired, but that does not help me want to get my kids vaccinated tomorrow… 

4 hours ago, KrisTom said:

😔 maybe I’m tired, but that does not help me want to get my kids vaccinated tomorrow… 

It’s worth keeping in mind when you’re looking at our vax stats that everyone over 60 and many over 50s got Astra Zeneca which is less effective against omicron.  But yeah.  We had someone triple vaxed and two double vaxed die in NSW today. 

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Globally deaths are still on their way down. Back under 6000 a day for rolling average - first time since around October 2020. I’m not sure when we’d expect to see an uptick from Omicron if there is one but I imagine it would still be a couple of weeks away.

Infections are typically 2-3 weeks before hospitalisations are required (a bit less for the oldest and people with weakest underlying health). Hospitalisations in London started rising 2 weeks ago, which is about when I'd expect to see a rise in ventilator use if that's going to happen for Omnicron. 1-2 weeks after that is when the deaths land. Thus, deaths would be expected to start rising 5-7 weeks after the case rise starts.

However, it's arriving in different places at different speeds - my local area (also in England) hasn't started getting the hospitalisation rise yet (which is surprising as that would have been expected to start last week), possibly because restrictions started kicking in before Omnicron showed up (my area's cases are currently rising at 2/3 of the national average, which logically means 2/3 of the hospitalisation increase if the demographics of those catching it reflect the national average - and restrictions ideally mean the people who do catch it are less likely to be those with the least ability to self-recover from the virus). The Eastern Mediterranean has been experiencing a drop in cases through the whole autumn.

Some places will have had the misfortune to find themselves in the opposite situation. I've heard some horror stories from certain parts of continental Europe, as well as parts of the USA (via this board).

On the other hand, cases started rising globally 10 weeks ago (mid-October), and global deaths have been falling for the last 3 complete weeks. This is a hopeful sign, though we must be cautious as the effect of Omnicron on deaths in Americas and Africa is not due to show until some point in January due to their only reporting region-wide (as opposed to nation-wide) case increases 7 or fewer weeks ago.

Edited by ieta_cassiopeia
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

It’s worth keeping in mind when you’re looking at our vax stats that everyone over 60 and many over 50s got Astra Zeneca which is less effective against omicron.  But yeah.  We had someone triple vaxed and two double vaxed die in NSW today. 

Oh, ok.  Thank you for the clarification.  I think at this point, hopefully a vaccination does help keep most of us out of the danger zone.  

• Like 1

I am not hearing locally about people getting sick that are being cautious, but we seem to still be having a Delta wave: https://yourlocalepidemiologist.substack.com/p/state-of-affairs-jan-4?token=eyJ1c2VyX2lkIjoxMTQ1MDQxOSwicG9zdF9pZCI6NDY0ODk3NDksIl8iOiI3cC9XTiIsImlhdCI6MTY0MTI0OTc5MSwiZXhwIjoxNjQxMjUzMzkxLCJpc3MiOiJwdWItMjgxMjE5Iiwic3ViIjoicG9zdC1yZWFjdGlvbiJ9.p02Gu6BoS7S64yhHlo-i9O-Mk3PLXEWW-rjudVWqiRY

Delta. Ohio has one of the highest hospitalization rates right now (50 per 100,000 people), but only has modest case growth (+90% in past 14 days). Indiana is showing a similar pattern. This is an indication that hospitalizations in some states are still from Delta not Omicron. Whether Delta sticks around (or comes back after Omicron) is yet to be determined.

Our rates are super high, but apparently it's still largely Delta. I don't know what that means in terms of how things play out here over time--is it better/worse/same that it's Delta? Probably too early to tell. Sigh. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Australia is now officially a mess. A huge big mess. 

A disaster zone. 

Never in my life have I heard hospitals begging people not to seek attention at the ED. 

People can't get PCR tests when symptomatic, so can't be enrolled in hospital in the home programs if need be. 

No RATs.

Many testing centres closing so they can try to manage the backlog of tests done over Christmas/NY. Positivity so high they can't batch test any more.

Whistleblower in SMH says nurses in NSW are being asked to work when Covid +

GP's overwhelmed because everything now lands in their office - people sick at home after or without a RAT, people seeking tests, boosters, kids vax...on top of their usual workloads. 

Feds engaging in insider trading in clear view - alerting their donors to stock up on RATs in order to make a profit from price gouging during shortage. 

Media weak. Opposition weak. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 16

There doesn’t seem to be any difference if you are vaccinate or not in getting omicron . Doesn’t seem to be much difference in people in hospital either.

in vic currently every positive case is spreading it to at least 6 others. The labs haven’t processed the tests taken on the 30th. Most testing centres are closing today so they can focus on processing the backlog. So todays jump in numbers is at least 5 or more days old. 

a relative who works for a health provider as a social worker was just sent an email stating that they are aware that there are no rats available, so if you feel unwell or are a close contact work from home for 5 days. No mention on seeking getting tested at all.

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

And of course, you are only a close contact if contact occured in a home setting.

Get exposed at work? No test, no ability to isolate unless symptomatic. And even then...

Feds are gambling on the hospitals holding on, in order to go to an election in May, in order to spruik their freedom agenda. A win on the backs of HCWs. We are governed by sociopaths. 

God only knows what NSW govt is doing. I think Dom.is just a nasty combo of extreme libertarian + incompetent. 

• Sad 4

My sister is in MI and just pulled her kids out of school, grades 6 and 8. Having had two wonderful weeks of freedom after my youngest officially finished high school, I'm now homeschooling my niece and nephew until the end of the school year. I'm not sure what emoticon I should add. 😳 or 😇 or 🤓 or 🥰 or ☹️ . So many mixed emotions. 

• Like 11
  • Sad 7

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-04/covid-live-updates-omicron-coronavirus-testing-venues-booster/100736920

according to the chief deputy health officer the majority of people in intensive care have delta. Most people with Omnicron have it extremely mild. Most of the people not in intensive care in hospitals are in hospital for other reasons and have found out they have omicron after being admitted to hospital

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

State by state numbers seem somewhat less relevant now aside from WA so here’s Australia as a whole today

“At the moment, I'm still waiting on WA's numbers to drop, so this isn't the complete tally but with all the other state and territory numbers, we're sitting on 47,799 cases today. 

And since what we're really focusing on is the hospitalisation rate, here's the number of COVID patients being treated in hospital: 2,172

Nationally, there are 237 people in intensive care.”

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-04/covid-live-updates-omicron-coronavirus-testing-venues-booster/100736920

according to the chief deputy health officer the majority of people in intensive care have delta. Most people with Omnicron have it extremely mild. Most of the people not in intensive care in hospitals are in hospital for other reasons and have found out they have omicron after being admitted to hospital

Have they really done enough sequencing to know that though? We’ve only sequenced 39 cases here. 36 were omicron and there are more than three people in ICU.

I have hit the point where I’m super skeptical of anything coming from anyone official attached to the federal government right now tbh. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

16 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

That’s encouraging.

We are experiencing similar with EDs telling media to get out the message…Don’t come here with mild symptoms and/or wanting to be tested. 

No RATs available here, but getting a PCR is still very easy—plenty of walk ins availability and same day or next day appointments. 

Edited by popmom

9 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Have they really done enough sequencing to know that though? We’ve only sequenced 39 cases here. 36 were omicron and there are more than three people in ICU.

I have hit the point where I’m super skeptical of anything coming from anyone official attached to the federal government right now tbh. 

I think here in vic it is something like 40%delta in The community. No idea how they come to that conclusion. But I think all the people who are in hospital have the sequencing done.

1 hour ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I think here in vic it is something like 40%delta in The community. No idea how they come to that conclusion. But I think all the people who are in hospital have the sequencing done.

I found some actual stats from ABC beyond the CHO’s statement

“The number of patients in intensive care rose to 105, up from 95 the day before, with 27 people requiring ventilation.

NSW Health has revealed 72 per cent of COVID positive patients admitted to ICU since December 16 were infected with the Delta variant of the virus, not the Omicron strain.

Of those patients, 62 per cent were not vaccinated or had received only one dose of a vaccine.”

So roughly 28pc Omicron in ICU.  This probably fits with the 50pc reduction in hospitalisation stat that’s floating around given hospitalisations are likely from a couple of weeks ago when there was a lower percentage of omicron?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

There doesn’t seem to be any difference if you are vaccinate or not in getting omicron . Doesn’t seem to be much difference in people in hospital either.

in vic currently every positive case is spreading it to at least 6 others. The labs haven’t processed the tests taken on the 30th. Most testing centres are closing today so they can focus on processing the backlog. So todays jump in numbers is at least 5 or more days old. 

a relative who works for a health provider as a social worker was just sent an email stating that they are aware that there are no rats available, so if you feel unwell or are a close contact work from home for 5 days. No mention on seeking getting tested at all.

If you have even numbers, more or less, of vaccinated and unvaccinated hospitalized, but say 80% of your population vaccinated then it would still seem that vaccinations protect against serious illness. Half the hospitalizations are coming from the much smaller 20% unvaccinated portion. It always gets weird to see when you have such a high proportion of vaccinated people.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TCB said:

If you have even numbers, more or less, of vaccinated and unvaccinated hospitalized, but say 80% of your population vaccinated then it would still seem that vaccinations protect against serious illness. Half the hospitalizations are coming from the much smaller 20% unvaccinated portion. It always gets weird to see when you have such a high proportion of vaccinated people.

Agree, and also, I posted on another omicron thread something from a NYC ER doctor explaining that they're getting lots of those patients, but they're not staying nearly as long as used to be the case when no one was vaccinated.

• Like 4

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2022/01/04/wccusd-schools-kn95-masks-staff-covid-surge/?amp
“RICHMOND (CBS SF) — Beginning next week, the West Contra Costa Unified School District will require all staff members to wear a medical-grade KN-95 mask while at school sites.

The new requirement comes as COVID cases are surging in the Bay Area and the state as well as throughout the country. The announcement from WCCUSD comes days after district staffers and volunteers Sunday distributed 15,000 COVID-19 test kits to families to enable more students to return to school Monday.

“Everyone on our school sites deserves to feel safe and informed about COVID-19 and we are always prepared to adapt our safety measures when the conditions change,” Superintendent Kenneth Chris Hurst, Ed.D said in a press statement. “The spike in cases because of the omicron variant requires us to take further action to protect our staff members and school communities.”

WCCUSD has ordered enough masks for each of the district’s 3,000 employees to have one KN-95 mask per week through the end of the school year. The KN-95 masks are expected to arrive this week for distribution to school sites before Monday, January 10.”

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2022/01/04/wccusd-schools-kn95-masks-staff-covid-surge/?amp
“RICHMOND (CBS SF) — Beginning next week, the West Contra Costa Unified School District will require all staff members to wear a medical-grade KN-95 mask while at school sites.

The new requirement comes as COVID cases are surging in the Bay Area and the state as well as throughout the country. The announcement from WCCUSD comes days after district staffers and volunteers Sunday distributed 15,000 COVID-19 test kits to families to enable more students to return to school Monday.

“Everyone on our school sites deserves to feel safe and informed about COVID-19 and we are always prepared to adapt our safety measures when the conditions change,” Superintendent Kenneth Chris Hurst, Ed.D said in a press statement. “The spike in cases because of the omicron variant requires us to take further action to protect our staff members and school communities.”

WCCUSD has ordered enough masks for each of the district’s 3,000 employees to have one KN-95 mask per week through the end of the school year. The KN-95 masks are expected to arrive this week for distribution to school sites before Monday, January 10.”

I like this idea, but hope it is implemented well. I saw where another school district did this, and the KN-95s they ordered turned out to be ones on the counterfeit list that had low filtration. I'd also hope they allowed staff to use their own equivalent FFP. The KN95 mask shape doesn't fit any of us in my house properly, and we always use boat shaped KF-94s or N95s instead. No one should be made to ditch a mask that's as good or better to have to wear the district provided ones and put themselves at higher risk. On the surface though, I think this should be the minimum standard.

• Like 2

On 1/3/2022 at 10:49 PM, lewelma said:

My sister is in MI and just pulled her kids out of school, grades 6 and 8. Having had two wonderful weeks of freedom after my youngest officially finished high school, I'm now homeschooling my niece and nephew until the end of the school year. I'm not sure what emoticon I should add. 😳 or 😇 or 🤓 or 🥰 or ☹️ . So many mixed emotions. 

I would go for the first one, shock and surprise. They are really lucky to have you!

• Like 8

On 1/3/2022 at 10:49 PM, lewelma said:

MI as in Michigan? Are you still in New Zealand? Are you teaching them via zoom?

• Like 2

SARS-CoV-2 Omicron VOC Transmission in Danish Households (31 page pdf)
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.12.27.21268278v1.full.pdf
“Among 11,937 households (2,225 with the Omicron VOC), we identified 6,397 secondary infections during a 1-7 day follow-up period. The SAR was 31% and 21% in households with the Omicron and Delta VOC, respectively. We found an increased transmission for unvaccinated individuals, and a reduced transmission for booster-vaccinated individuals, compared to fully vaccinated individuals. Comparing households infected with the Omicron to Delta VOC, we found an 1.17 (95%-CI: 0.99-1.38) times higher SAR for un- vaccinated, 2.61 times (95%-CI: 2.34-2.90) higher for fully vaccinated and 3.66 (95%-CI: 2.65-5.05) times higher for booster-vaccinated individuals, demonstrating strong evidence of immune evasiveness of the Omicron VOC.
Our findings confirm that the rapid spread of the Omicron VOC primarily can be ascribed to the immune evasiveness rather than an inherent increase in the basic transmissibility.”

• Thanks 3

I've been alerted to another issue with the UK situation specifically (potentially applicable elsewhere). Staff.

Staff working with COVID will pass it on to other people unless isolated. The NHS got warned to prepare for up to 25% absences due to COVID positivity or isolation. Well... ...I know of one department that's on 50% absence today. Not a patient-facing one, thankfully, but it's a matter of time until some patient-facing department, somewhere in the UK, will have this issue.

When that happens, the department won't be able to provide a safe patient service. 100% staffing is based on expected requirements for a safe and efficient service. Those 5% / 10% / 25% drops are achieved by allowing things to be a bit less efficient, but still maintain patient safety. 50% requires either dangerous conditions or cancellation of part of the service (generally elective stuff, but there's a limit as to how far that measure can go to enabling safe practice).

Omnicron in itself probably wouldn't lead to an increase in ventilations. Inability to provide needed care just might, in hospitals with staffing issues in the wrong places.

Also, let 'er rip is something I'm very wary about because a meta-analysis indicates that about a third of people with COVID end up with fatigue, and a fifth with cognitive impairment (there's overlap). This doesn't seem to reduce much in the 3-6 month period, nor with mildness of initial infection (this tallies with the 11.5% incidence of certain serious conditions found by a study several months ago). It's also indicated that over a quarter of adults who got COVID have been unable to return to work for at least 6 months after contracting confirmed COVID. Children are more resilient but still get significant problems bouncing back from the fatigue and cognitive impairment issues.

• Like 3
  • Sad 8

34,994 for NSW. 6 deaths. 1,609 in hospital. 131 in ICU.

21,997 in VIC. 6 deaths. 631 hospitalised. 100 in ICU, 22 on ventilators.

Hard to believe we let this happen. Kind of feels like we’re all part of an experiment we didn’t consent to now.

I’m getting my booster today. Yay. Just desperately hoping to stay safe until youngest has at least one vaccination.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

There is a lot of angst here about an exemption being made for Novak Djokovic for vaccination requirements by tennis Australia and VIC. Now apparently the federal government have cancelled his visa on arrival.  Not a fan, but it all seems a bit pointless when everything is already so messy.  The international border is the least of our worries. I can’t help wondering what we’re meant to be distracted from.

• Like 5

On 1/3/2022 at 11:14 PM, Ausmumof3 said:

Just for clarification, which federal government? It seems to me that many are a joke right now.

24 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

There is a lot of angst here about an exemption being made for Novak Djokovic for vaccination requirements by tennis Australia and VIC. Now apparently the federal government have cancelled his visa on arrival.  Not a fan, but it all seems a bit pointless when everything is already so messy.  The international border is the least of our worries. I can’t help wondering what we’re meant to be distracted from.

Easy PR win...'strong on borders'.

I'm worrying about the difficulty in getting PCR tests, and whether they are being phased out. There doesn't seem to be any info re accessing hospital in the home with a RAT. That's the program I should be enrolled in if infected, but zero idea how to access independent of a PCR. 

Also just realized I have no idea what is meant to happen with dialysis if ex gets infected. Wondering if they will be able to set aside an area for + dialysis.

31 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

34,994 for NSW. 6 deaths. 1,609 in hospital. 131 in ICU.

21,997 in VIC. 6 deaths. 631 hospitalised. 100 in ICU, 22 on ventilators.

Hard to believe we let this happen. Kind of feels like we’re all part of an experiment we didn’t consent to now.

I’m getting my booster today. Yay. Just desperately hoping to stay safe until youngest has at least one vaccination.

Glad you are getting your booster. Hope you have minimal side effects. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

Easy PR win...'strong on borders'.

I'm worrying about the difficulty in getting PCR tests, and whether they are being phased out. There doesn't seem to be any info re accessing hospital in the home with a RAT. That's the program I should be enrolled in if infected, but zero idea how to access independent of a PCR. 

Also just realized I have no idea what is meant to happen with dialysis if ex gets infected. Wondering if they will be able to set aside an area for + dialysis.

In SA, they are working on switching to RAT for all close contacts but the tests will be registered and there’s a place to log your results I think. We are in a very slightly more manageable position than NSW for the moment though but changing daily.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

In SA, they are working on switching to RAT for all close contacts but the tests will be registered and there’s a place to log your results I think. We are in a very slightly more manageable position than NSW for the moment though but changing daily.

There's nowhere to log a RAT in NSW. Just hope you can get a telehealth appt  with the GP, I guess, in a timely way.