Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

My church has had to cancel all children’s and youth activities. ALL of it including Sunday school. It’s mostly due to the adults who facilitate the small groups and activities testing positive. It doesn’t appear that we’ve had an outbreak associated with any church gathering as of yet. Adult small groups and Wednesday night dinner had already been canceled. 

• Sad 1

Seems like over half of the local small town of 1000 have Covid. Most cannot get tested. Apparently the very small local hospital has 30 nurses out. That is most of the workforce. The GP shifted away a week ago and I have heard they cannot get a locum., their clinic is closed. The local Petrol station has 7 staff positive and only has 3 staff left if one more gets sick it will have to close.  My son tells me that just about every one at his work has it. Only a few were able to RAT test.  So hopefully there are no bushfires in the next little bit. The rest have the same symptoms so all guess they are positive.

Both of my parents have both come down ill. They were able to get tested yesterday. They were told they will get the results in7 days. The only time they left their house was dad went to the post office a few days ago. Mum has been working from home for the last 14 months. Both are fully vaxed, last dose less than 2 months ago. The respite worker that works with my twins has it, fortunately she has been away the last few weeks and hasn’t been here, was due to start again this week.

so from only one week ago not knowing a single case. Seems like just about most every person I know is positive

we have decided to lock down and not leave our property for a few weeks. Have shifted twin one children hospital appointment for AFO fittings. I am not going to sit 6 hours each way on a  public transport bus atm

• Sad 10

36 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Seems like over half of the local small town of 1000 have Covid. Most cannot get tested. Apparently the very small local hospital has 30 nurses out. That is most of the workforce. The GP shifted away a week ago and I have heard they cannot get a locum., their clinic is closed. The local Petrol station has 7 staff positive and only has 3 staff left if one more gets sick it will have to close.  My son tells me that just about every one at his work has it. Only a few were able to RAT test.  So hopefully there are no bushfires in the next little bit. The rest have the same symptoms so all guess they are positive.

Both of my parents have both come down ill. They were able to get tested yesterday. They were told they will get the results in7 days. The only time they left their house was dad went to the post office a few days ago. Mum has been working from home for the last 14 months. Both are fully vaxed, last dose less than 2 months ago. The respite worker that works with my twins has it, fortunately she has been away the last few weeks and hasn’t been here, was due to start again this week.

so from only one week ago not knowing a single case. Seems like just about most every person I know is positive

we have decided to lock down and not leave our property for a few weeks. Have shifted twin one children hospital appointment for AFO fittings. I am not going to sit 6 hours each way on a  public transport bus atm

There are some storms going east from us over the border - hopefully they don’t make it that far. Rural health services are getting smashed here in the South east as well.  Hope you’re able to stay out and stay safe.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 1

Michigan numbers. Two day total of 28,458 for an average of 14, 229 per day.

The health department does not think we will peak until the beginning to middle of February. Our record was set last week at over 22,000 new cases in a single day. Not really the kind of record people should be aiming to break. Sigh.

I went to stock up on some groceries and will not do that again for a month. I wore a KN95 and went when hardly anyone was there. Still, I feel like a walking Petri dish.

• Sad 3

Here's Oregon Health Authority's data report: https://www.oregon.gov/oha/covid19/Documents/DataReports/Oregon-COVID-19-Update-01-11-2022-FINAL.pdf

Note the variants being monitored and the test positivity rates. There are some interesting data points on health care worker and congregant living status and on emergency room visits. 

16 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

This is insanity. I remember being freaked out by 1,000 cases a day. Now closing in on 60,000 a day. (state of Florida)

Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 5.59.57 PM.png

Holy freaking out batman! I thought our 14,000 per day was bad. You have 2.3 times the population of my state so I would have expected that if you were as bad off as us, something in the 31,000-33,000 ish range. But, 60,000???? Ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch

😱😰😭

3 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Holy freaking out batman! I thought our 14,000 per day was bad. You have 2.3 times the population of my state so I would have expected that if you were as bad off as us, something in the 31,000-33,000 ish range. But, 60,000???? Ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch

😱😰😭

And DH just left to go teach an in person college class. And none of the high quality masks fit him particularly well. So yeah, I'm on edge, to say the least. Students are required to be vaccinated, but as we know now, that doesn't mean they won't spread it. Thankfully they are also required to be masked, so hopefully having both them masked and DH masked - even if not perfectly - will be enough. 

I hate this. 

I will feel much better when my youngest is able to be vaccinated. Until then, DH teaching and a weekly fully masked small group for DD11 is our only contact with the outside world. We are even back to skipping church - broke my heart today when DD4 was saying, "I wish the germies would go down so I could go to church...." She doesn't even say, "go away" anymore, just "go down". Sigh. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Sad 8

23 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

😱😰😭

My state (NC) is just a little higher population than Michigan. We had over 25,000 cases today and over 17,000 yesterday. Just to make you feel better. 😉 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

"Move over, PCR tests, dogs are now trained to sniff out covid in schools"

(I think I'm starved for good headlines, but I LOVE this!*)

*Also quite relieved that the health status of the nation is not relying on MY OWN dog, LOL.

LOL, right there with you! Our cocker spaniel would NOT be an animal to depend on for anything except welcoming the thieves and showing them where the coin collection is in exchange for treats! 😁

• Haha 3

So just found out my son's swim teacher on Mon/Tues tested positive to Covid on Tuesday. I am still a bit confused about the timing of this as people were actually rung on Tuesday and told, so not sure when she tested positive? Anyway, it'll be interesting to see if he catches it from her. She was in the pool with him, so fairly close contact, but hopefully all the chlorine killed it? He got vaccinated on Monday so no time for it to kick in yet. 

So today is Thursday. I wonder how long for him to develop symptoms, if he did catch it?

• Sad 4

2 hours ago, bookbard said:

So just found out my son's swim teacher on Mon/Tues tested positive to Covid on Tuesday. I am still a bit confused about the timing of this as people were actually rung on Tuesday and told, so not sure when she tested positive? Anyway, it'll be interesting to see if he catches it from her. She was in the pool with him, so fairly close contact, but hopefully all the chlorine killed it? He got vaccinated on Monday so no time for it to kick in yet. 

So today is Thursday. I wonder how long for him to develop symptoms, if he did catch it?

I thought I remembered reading wait 5 days from exposure before testing

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

We have a rough plan for school going back.  Reception, grade 1, 7, 8 and 12 in person the rest virtual for the first fortnight. Schools open for children of any essential workers.

We are all back at once, I think 

Not happy about close contacts bring allowed to work in school. I am worried about our vulnerable students. 

13 hours ago, Corraleno said:

Worldometer is showing both Florida and Texas at around 72,000 cases today — and that's just people with official tests. Imagine how many more people are only testing at home or not testing at all.

My county is hitting 40% positivity some days here. 

And they opened a new testing site but still the wait is hours and hours if you go. Some people getting there before 3am to get in line even. You definitely are not seeing the real picture - most people can't get a test. 

https://www.wesh.com/article/new-covid-19-cases-in-orange-county/38739416#

Edited by ktgrok
  • Sad 5

29 deaths in NSW. 63,018 new cases though some are still RAT backlog coming through.

Vic 34,836 cases and 18 deaths.

The abattoir here that got permission to work with asymptomatic positive staff have had to shut down anyway so that’s not going to be a fix. 

1,201 in TAS 10 in hospital.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ktgrok said:

My county is hitting 40% positivity some days here. 

And they opened a new testing site but still the wait is hours and hours if you go. Some people getting there before 3am to get in line even. You definitely are not seeing the real picture - most people can't get a test. 

https://www.wesh.com/article/new-covid-19-cases-in-orange-county/38739416#

It could just be your area or the time of day.  Definitely not all of Florida.  There’s a testing site across my sons school that’s open from 7-7.  I’ve gone there for testing in the past and it’s very efficient, but today, I didn’t even see two dozen people in line. That was mid-day.  My dh went a week or two ago and it was a long line but he was only 45 minutes.

• Like 1

Ambulance services were a mess here with people waiting up to seven hours and non life threatening cases being told to find another way to hospital. It’s not all covid as things were messy before and it was a bad day on the roads as well.

At one point there were 42 life-threatening cases uncovered.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-14/ambulance-pressures-worsen-amid-covid-emergency-union-says/100753520

• Sad 6

In a round up of science stuff that I’ve found interesting over the last week 

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.01.11.21268036v1

Sniffer dogs detected covid in 23/45 long covid cases versus zero hits in controls. I guess if you have long covid this is an indication that there’s some underlying detectable biological process going on 

https://secure.jbs.elsevierhealth.com/action/getSharedSiteSession?redirect=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cell.com%2Fcell-host-microbe%2Ffulltext%2FS1931-3128(21)00570-9&rc=0#.Yd_XxBwwIos.twitter

Pre-existing immunity to the common cold negatively impacts response to Sarscov2. 

“We found hCCCoV antibody levels increase after SARS-CoV-2 exposure, demonstrating cross-reactivity. However, a case-control study indicates that baseline hCCCoV antibody levels are not associated with protection against SARS-CoV-2 infection. Rather, higher magnitudes of pre-existing betacoronavirus antibodies correlate with more SARS-CoV-2 antibodies following infection, an indicator of greater disease severity. Additionally, immunization with hCCCoV spike proteins before SARS-CoV-2 immunization impedes the generation of SARS-CoV-2-neutralizing antibodies in mice. Together, these data suggest that pre-existing hCCCoV antibodies hinder SARS-CoV-2 antibody-based immunity following infection and provide insight on how pre-existing coronavirus immunity impacts SARS-CoV-2 infection, which is critical considering emerging variants.”

this seems to contradict previous studies possibly and I’m not sure how conclusive it is but will be interesting to see further research

• Like 2

On 1/7/2022 at 2:47 PM, prairiewindmomma said:

This has been true with influenza and other viral diseases. Influenza can grow within the pancreas and trigger an immunoresponse causing diabetes.  There's about a 2 fold risk for T1D after influenza for a period of time.

Anecdotally, post-influenza triggering is how two of my extended family members ended up with T1D as young teens. 

That’s what happened to my son when he was 17. It’s not fun! You learn to live with it but it still sucks   

• Sad 5

26 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

RATs ordered by private businesses are being seconded by government 

There was a story on abc blog about it the day before yesterday. The fedgov is taking them all so at the end of the month they can hand them out at pharmacies for health care card holders , probably with big fanfare. 

we assumed that the government had ordered some for this purpose…. Why order some when they can just take what others have ordered and are already on the way..they are using their  emergency  powers to be able to do this.

• Like 3

Worldwide new cases on worldometer passed 3.2 million yesterday for the first time. Deaths are still trending up again though still a long way down from previous peaks. Last time they were at a similar low level was around October/November 2020.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Melissa in Australia said:

There was a story on abc blog about it the day before yesterday. The fedgov is taking them all so at the end of the month they can hand them out at pharmacies for health care card holders , probably with big fanfare. 

we assumed that the government had ordered some for this purpose…. Why order some when they can just take what others have ordered and are already on the way..they are using their  emergency  powers to be able to do this.

Family members had RATs on order - they were emailed that the stock had been requisitioned by the Feds.

I also read they requisitioned the RATs ordered by the QLD truckies union..

I'm just pretending RATs haven't been invented yet, and that I'm  living in 2020 where you only worry with symptoms and then go get a PCR.

Life is too short to be racing around Sydney trying to find a $50 RAT. 

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

Life is too short to be racing around Sydney trying to find a $50 RAT. 

Yes. It is ridiculous to be under the obligation to spend $$ so the government doesn't have to step up. And yet they're throwing literal billions around on defence, in the hope that it's never used (nb, I can never understand why they just don't pretend they've bought these tanks or submarines or whatever). 

I now know lots of people in my small town who have or have had covid. One caught it from an anti-vaxer who was sick and refused to get tested. Apparently he spread it to a number of people. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, bookbard said:

Yes. It is ridiculous to be under the obligation to spend $$ so the government doesn't have to step up. And yet they're throwing literal billions around on defence, in the hope that it's never used (nb, I can never understand why they just don't pretend they've bought these tanks or submarines or whatever). 

I now know lots of people in my small town who have or have had covid. One caught it from an anti-vaxer who was sick and refused to get tested. Apparently he spread it to a number of people. 

I know right, tanks. Talk about priorities being wrong! 

23 minutes ago, lauraw4321 said:

I read somewhere that Germany was thought to have peaked but is now increasing again. Can someone tell me if this is true or explain it. I'm too fried to research it and too stressed to care at the moment. But that sounds horrific.

I don't think that is true actually and I can't find anything about that in the recent news.  And by peaking, I assume you mean omicron peak.  UK seemed ahead for omicron and they are just now coming down so Germany peaking and it being reported already sounds off to me.

What did happen to some northern places including midwest US is Delta rose slowly through the fall peaking in December.  Our delta numbers were just falling when omicron picked up.  Germany also had a delta peak into December.  So that is why their curve looks a different than some other places.  I'm guessing they will peak in another week or 2.  

Anyway, to me, looks on a similar pattern as everyone else so far, just that their delta peak ran into their omicron peak.  South Africa is still falling and down to about 1/3 of their peak numbers (though I do not think their numbers are totally reliable), NYC, DC, UK are starting to fall.  Boston wastewater posted a glorious chart this week of a precipitous omicron level fall in wastewater that shows up before test numbers show up falling.  I wish everywhere was charting wastewater!  Our local facilities are going to start to share data publicly finally!  

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Like 10

26 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

I don't think that is true actually and I can't find anything about that in the recent news.  And by peaking, I assume you mean omicron peak.  UK seemed ahead for omicron and they are just now coming down so Germany peaking and it being reported already sounds off to me.

What did happen to some northern places including midwest US is Delta rose slowly through the fall peaking in December.  Our delta numbers were just falling when omicron picked up.  Germany also had a delta peak into December.  So that is why their curve looks a different than some other places.  I'm guessing they will peak in another week or 2.  

Anyway, to me, looks on a similar pattern as everyone else so far, just that their delta peak ran into their omicron peak.  South Africa is still falling and down to about 1/3 of their peak numbers (though I do not think their numbers are totally reliable), NYC, DC, UK are starting to fall.  Boston wastewater posted a glorious chart this week of a precipitous omicron level fall in wastewater that shows up before test numbers show up falling.  I wish everywhere was charting wastewater!  Our local facilities are going to start to share data publicly finally!  

Bless you.  The Delta / Omicron overlap makes sense.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

The abattoir here that got permission to work with asymptomatic positive staff have had to shut down anyway so that’s not going to be a fix. 

totally predictable!

22 hours ago, Melissa Louise said:

I'm.amazed anyone thinks that allowing positive people to work would actually help improve things for more than a few days. 

We are in such a spectacular meltdown. 

seriously!!!!

22 hours ago, matrips said:

It could just be your area or the time of day.  Definitely not all of Florida.  There’s a testing site across my sons school that’s open from 7-7.  I’ve gone there for testing in the past and it’s very efficient, but today, I didn’t even see two dozen people in line. That was mid-day.  My dh went a week or two ago and it was a long line but he was only 45 minutes.

I don't think I ever said it was every single place in Florida. But in orange county, and in Palm Beach County which is where my friend lives and I grew up it is definitely the case. Five hours or more to get a test if you go to the free sites or you could make an appointment at a pharmacy and wait five days to a week before you can go in to be tested at which point it is probably pointless. The at home tests are gone as soon as they hit the store.

I'm glad that's not the case where you live, but it certainly is the case in many places. It's not just my area. Heck, orange county is a big place. So is Palm Beach County. It isn't like this is just one small town.

• Like 1

Not Covid related, but did you all see the study that showed that Eppstein-Bar is the likely raise of multiple sclerosis?

“In a large cohort of military service members followed over many years, infection with Epstein-Barr increased the likelihood of developing multiple sclerosis, or MS, by more than 32-fold, a team of scientists led by Harvard University’s Neuroepidemiology Research Group reported in the journal Science on Thursday.”

https://www.statnews.com/2022/01/13/strong-new-evidence-suggests-virus-triggers-multiple-sclerosis/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

22 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Not Covid related, but did you all see the study that showed that Eppstein-Bar is the likely raise of multiple sclerosis?

“In a large cohort of military service members followed over many years, infection with Epstein-Barr increased the likelihood of developing multiple sclerosis, or MS, by more than 32-fold, a team of scientists led by Harvard University’s Neuroepidemiology Research Group reported in the journal Science on Thursday.”

https://www.statnews.com/2022/01/13/strong-new-evidence-suggests-virus-triggers-multiple-sclerosis/

Yes, very interested.  EBV is maintained in b cells. I'm hoping this is an indication that insurance companies will start covering b cell depleting drugs more readily.  It's a huge fight to get them now.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Now that's very interesting, thanks!

• Like 2

In my state 1 in 4 students are back to virtual learning. 

Positivity is still just over 40 percent.

I'm praying we are peaking. Based on what is going on at my church, it's bound to be near. Everything other than main worship services has been cancelled due to so many leaders, facilitators, and staff currently sick or quarantined. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, popmom said:

In my state 1 in 4 students are back to virtual learning. 

Positivity is still just over 40 percent.

I'm praying we are peaking. Based on what is going on at my church, it's bound to be near. Everything other than main worship services has been cancelled due to so many leaders, facilitators, and staff currently sick or quarantined. 

We just aren't having that many people sick over here.  Not sure why.  Maybe because we had higher vaccine usage and therefore we just have a lot of asymptomatic people walking around.  I mean unless you have symptoms, how would you ever know to test???   When my dd2 and dsil1 got it about ten days ago, they got tested and were positive but they had symptoms.  Dh and I didn't and didn't test because we just quarantined for 5 days and still had no symptoms/  But I have no idea if either of us ever had it asymptomatically,  either Omicrom or any other variant  Unless you are testing all the time. you have no idea.

And the wonderfully iincompetent administration just ordered insurers to reimburse for tests or send home tests  but not for either Medicare or Tricare.  Now, that really makes sense- huh- the people most at risk can't get the tests.

• Like 1