Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

1 hour ago, ScoutTN said:

My income has taken a hit because so many tutoring sessions have been cancelled. We can do Zoom, but sick kids cannot study.

My students are mostly struggling readers/dyslexic. The public school system, always stretched thin, has left so many students (and teachers!) without the resources they need. I feel the desperation of these parents and the frustration of their kids. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 3
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/acs.est.1c06531?fbclid=IwAR38IgyfDYZLw6W061KqQ1T3JINuGS9KebMZpXWLdr_oQAwJsgmC8uBGok0&

I am seeing this study referenced in the media a bit today. I am reading it over my lunch break, thought I would share it here…

I saw this when it first came out a few weeks ago.  It's a really meaty and important paper.  

• Like 1

https://www.euronews.com/next/2022/01/24/omicron-survives-much-longer-on-plastic-and-skin-than-earlier-covid-variants-new-study-fin

Omicron survives as viable virus longer on surfaces than previous variants. I know there was someone here a few weeks ago wondering if surface transmission was still a thing. I’m still not sure how common it is to catch it that way though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://www.euronews.com/next/2022/01/24/omicron-survives-much-longer-on-plastic-and-skin-than-earlier-covid-variants-new-study-fin

Omicron survives as viable virus longer on surfaces than previous variants. I know there was someone here a few weeks ago wondering if surface transmission was still a thing. I’m still not sure how common it is to catch it that way though.

Wow. 8 days on plastics. I might start wiping groceries again, at this rate.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Ugh. Darn. Yeah, I was one who wiped everything for the first 15 months or so, and then stopped last Summer when all but the youngest kids were fully vaccinated, but have recently started wiping the most high risk of groceries coming in (refrigerated or frozen solid surfaced packaging). I do wonder if this is how it's getting in for those who haven't had any exposure except curb side pickup.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, KSera said:

Ugh. Darn. Yeah, I was one who wiped everything for the first 15 months or so, and then stopped last Summer when all but the youngest kids were fully vaccinated, but have recently started wiping the most high risk of groceries coming in (refrigerated or frozen solid surfaced packaging). I do wonder if this is how it's getting in for those who haven't had any exposure except curb side pickup.

This is me too.  I only recently stopped wiping the refrigerated/frozen stuff.  Might be time to start again...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Melissa Louise said:

Covid finally caught up with my fam. Dd2's partner tested positive (essential worker - childcare) and dd is off to get a PCR. It's dreadful - they are meant to be moving state and dd starting a new big-wig job next week. Dd2 got booster last week, thank God. 

I’m sorry 😞 hopefully they have it mildly and no long term issues given she’s vaxed.  So disappointing right at the beginning of the move and new job though.

VIC return to school plan includes children and staff teasted 2 times a week, except in special schools, where all students are to be tested every day. Makes me wonder if the people who make these rules have ever been close to a nonverbal autistic child.

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

VIC return to school plan includes children and staff teasted 2 times a week, except in special schools, where all students are to be tested every day. Makes me wonder if the people who make these rules have ever been close to a nonverbal autistic child.

They have never been close to a school, judging by their 'plans', so I am pretty sure the thought of how to do daily tests on neuro-atypical children hasn't entered their tiny work-from-home brains. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Melissa in Australia said:

They really need to figure out saliva tests or something for these kids.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

they will be really lucky if they can even get something in their mouth.

the twins Play therapist/Psychologist works at a special school as well. She told me today that some of those kids that she works with get violet if someone comes to close to their zone. no way will they be allowing someone to get close enough to administer any test

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

they will be really lucky if they can even get something in their mouth.

the twins Play therapist/Psychologist works at a special school as well. She told me today that some of those kids that she works with get violet if someone comes to close to their zone. no way will they be allowing someone to get close enough to administer any test

There are similar issues with dementia patients unfortunately.  When they talk about testing an entire nursing home it’s a big deal. But doing it daily?  Unimaginable.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Even testing neurotypical preschoolers daily would be hard. I understand the idea of protecting the most vulnerable, but the plan definitely hasn’t been thought out. 

7 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I don't think this will work either, at least the way I've seen them done.  My son's university used spit tests for a semester and you have to spit in a vial the "correct way".  He actually prefers the self administered swabs as someone who has done of various testing.  They eliminated the spit tests this year because of all the troubles with it.  

I wish they had like a "breathalyzer" way to rapid test for it or something like that.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

There are similar issues with dementia patients unfortunately.  When they talk about testing an entire nursing home it’s a big deal. But doing it daily?  Unimaginable.

I don't know what the current state of the art on this is, but early on, there reports of successfully training dogs to sniff for covid.  Seems like this could be very useful for certain uses.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PaxEtLux said:

I don't know what the current state of the art on this is, but early on, there reports of successfully training dogs to sniff for covid.  Seems like this could be very useful for certain uses.

Imagine having the school's dog go to the cafeteria/etc and kids are to go and pet thet dog one by one as their morning ritual. 

(Yes an alternative would have to be made for the allergic) but it would help a lot for these cases

• Like 3

1 hour ago, vonfirmath said:

Imagine having the school's dog go to the cafeteria/etc and kids are to go and pet thet dog one by one as their morning ritual. 

(Yes an alternative would have to be made for the allergic) but it would help a lot for these cases

My ds's college has therapy dogs, cats, and bunnies on campus all during finals week. The students LOVE it. I am sure it lowers stress and anxiety levels.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, catz said:

I wish they had like a "breathalyzer" way to rapid test for it or something like that.  

I remember early on there was an app that was shown to be highly accurate at detecting Covid from someone coughing into the phone. I don’t know whatever happened with that. That’s a pretty risky way to do it for those tasked with administering it, though.

2 hours ago, PaxEtLux said:

I saw a recent story on this, and they are quite accurate. I can’t recall the detection right off hand, but I do imagine it would be difficult to scale up.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

My ds's college has therapy dogs, cats, and bunnies on campus all during finals week. The students LOVE it. I am sure it lowers stress and anxiety levels.

Come to think of it, I think of I had been allowed to have my chocolate ditch bunny in my lap during the S.A.T.'s, it would have greatly increased my score!  🐇

5 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

Interesting. I have asthma. Is the IgM test a blood test?

I would assume so. I have only had other Ig testing done, and those were all blood serum. I think IgM is in both blood and lymph fluid but it’s been a long time since I studied immunology.

IgM points to recent infection, I think, and is supposed to fade with time (days/weeks/months). IgG stays longer in the body. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PaxEtLux said:

I was thinking of this myself but wondered if this would be an issue for those with fear of dogs etc. They spent months training the dogs for the airports here and now I don’t imagine it’s really significant given the local outbreaks.

Numbers are up a bit here. I was worried that would happen as soon as people start moving back to normal mode though of course one day is not a trend. We had 13 deaths in SA though 6 of them from previous days in aged care. 2,401 cases. Testing is lower as well although it’s hard to tell if people don’t all report RAT results.  We are being encouraged to do PCR still as there’s enough resources and it’s more accurate.

24 cases in WA so seems like they are starting to struggle a bit.

Stats from ABC from VIC, cases definitely still trending down in VIC and NSW 

NSW: 21,030 new cases, 2,794 people in hospital, 175 in ICU, 29 deaths.

VIC: 13,507 new cases, 1,089 people in hospital, 113 in ICU, 35 deaths.

QLD: 13,551 new cases, 889 people in hospital, 47 in ICU, nine deaths. Watch the press conference here

TAS: 712 new cases, 11 people in hospital, two in ICU, one death.

ACT: 896 new cases, 67 people in hospital, five in ICU.

NT: 492 new cases, 84 people in hospital, three in ICU.

WA: 24 new cases. 

SA: 2.401 new cases, 288 in hospital, 26 in ICU, 13 deaths

• Like 1

I don’t want to be too confident but it’s day 9 here and three negative test results so I think we may have escaped.  Hopefully.

Numbers are down a bit here today though we don’t have deaths yet. There is a lot of talk of easing restrictions soon. Cases seem to be trending down in all states except maybe WA and ACT? It’s hard to decipher true numbers at the moment because of weird stuff with the way testing and reporting is handled.

Teachers union are making the final decision on striking or not today I think. There big issue is the lack of RAT surveillance testing. It will only be used for close contacts.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

@Melissa Louisehoping your dd is doing ok and not too sick 

@Melissa in Australiahow is your mil?  Hoping Covid isn’t hitting her too hard though I imagine it’s very worrying 😞

Thank you

we don’t know today ,we do know that she is sleeping g most of the day and night. My dh couldn’t manage to contact any relatives. She was ok yesterday.

Frankly dh is sort of thinking if she passes in her sleep it will be ok. His mum has deteriorated very rapidly in the last month, has that corpse look that the extremely old get before dying and is on The waiting list to go into the highest level of care. She also seem to developed some dementia in the last month as well, no longer recognises his 2 sisters,  and is calling the workers at the home servants( she grew up with servants pre ww2 in Germany)

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

I don’t remember which thread we have discussed mucosal immunity in, but this research looks quite exciting to me:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1486510697332842498.html

The gist is a hybrid vaccination using an intramuscular priming dose and then a nasal spray after the immune system has been primed. It appears to offer mucosal immunity which prevents infection. 

• Like 11

On 1/27/2022 at 3:13 PM, Melissa in Australia said:

Thank you

we don’t know today ,we do know that she is sleeping g most of the day and night. My dh couldn’t manage to contact any relatives. She was ok yesterday.

Frankly dh is sort of thinking if she passes in her sleep it will be ok. His mum has deteriorated very rapidly in the last month, has that corpse look that the extremely old get before dying and is on The waiting list to go into the highest level of care. She also seem to developed some dementia in the last month as well, no longer recognises his 2 sisters,  and is calling the workers at the home servants( she grew up with servants pre ww2 in Germany)

I’m sorry but I understand.  

Having a stressful time trying to help dd self assess from 10 hours away. 

She's developed some chest symptoms - got her a telehealth appt and now hoping the pharmacy will deliver the prescribed steroidal inhalers. Neither she nor her friends have an oximeter. I got her to count breaths/minute, which was ok, and she could talk in full sentences. So waiting to see if she can get the inhaler, and if it makes a difference. 

• Sad 8

11 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

Having a stressful time trying to help dd self assess from 10 hours away. 

She's developed some chest symptoms - got her a telehealth appt and now hoping the pharmacy will deliver the prescribed steroidal inhalers. Neither she nor her friends have an oximeter. I got her to count breaths/minute, which was ok, and she could talk in full sentences. So waiting to see if she can get the inhaler, and if it makes a difference. 

This isn't the best option, but there are some apps that can be used as an oximeter. It's not as accurate, but it might help in a pinch.  I have a friend, now deceased, who used to use it for her asthma monitoring when she was away from home. 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33619504/

Edited by Bambam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Worldwide daily deaths went back over 10,000 for the first time since September. Rolling average at just over 8,000.

Wow. I haven’t been tracking world totals recently and it’s stunning to me that the US accounts for about a third of all deaths currently. I knew it was bad, but I didn’t realize we would account for that large a percentage. 

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Thanks for sharing this. Really impactful.