Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/long-island-mom-who-gave-sons-friend-covid-shot-at-home-faces-trial/3508524/?amp
“Laura Parker Russo is facing a felony charge and potential prison time for injecting the vaccine into the arm of a 17-year-old inside her home on New year's Eve.

Video capturing the incident was shared on TikTok.

"You'll be fine — I hope," Russo can be heard saying as she administered the unauthorized vaccine.

NBC New York is not sharing the teen's name because he is a minor.

Russo told police she got the vaccine, which she says on the video is Johnson & Johnson, from a pharmacy that is now under investigation. 

"It was almost treated like they were doing something funny and it’s not funny when you’re breaking the law and injecting children," said Nassau County District Attorney Anne Donnelly.

When the boy went home, he didn’t feel well and told his mother, who then called the police.

Russo did not speak to reporters on Friday, but her attorney says she was simply trying to help.

"She’s a graduate of Cornell, she’s been a teacher for 35 years and she’s got no criminal record," said attorney Michael Dergarabedian.

Russo is a science teacher at Herricks High School, and has been reassigned pending the outcome of the investigation.

Prosecutors say the teen and his family have asked for an order of protection from Russo, which she signed today. She is due back in court later in January.”

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

4 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/long-island-mom-who-gave-sons-friend-covid-shot-at-home-faces-trial/3508524/?amp
“Laura Parker Russo is facing a felony charge and potential prison time for injecting the vaccine into the arm of a 17-year-old inside her home on New year's Eve.

Video capturing the incident was shared on TikTok.

"You'll be fine — I hope," Russo can be heard saying as she administered the unauthorized vaccine.

NBC New York is not sharing the teen's name because he is a minor.

Russo told police she got the vaccine, which she says on the video is Johnson & Johnson, from a pharmacy that is now under investigation. 

"It was almost treated like they were doing something funny and it’s not funny when you’re breaking the law and injecting children," said Nassau County District Attorney Anne Donnelly.

When the boy went home, he didn’t feel well and told his mother, who then called the police.

Russo did not speak to reporters on Friday, but her attorney says she was simply trying to help.

"She’s a graduate of Cornell, she’s been a teacher for 35 years and she’s got no criminal record," said attorney Michael Dergarabedian.

Russo is a science teacher at Herricks High School, and has been reassigned pending the outcome of the investigation.

Prosecutors say the teen and his family have asked for an order of protection from Russo, which she signed today. She is due back in court later in January.”

How in the world does a science teacher get access to these vaccines??? That is not okay! I mean I want the kids to be vaccinated, too, but this is not the way.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, popmom said:

How in the world does a science teacher get access to these vaccines??? That is not okay! I mean I want the kids to be vaccinated, too, but this is not the way.

Even though the child’s name was withheld, the video is on TikTok.  So people probably knew who the child involved is. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Even though the child’s name was withheld, the video is on TikTok.  So people probably knew who the child involved is. 

Still doesn’t say how does a science teacher get a vial of vaccine to inject into —anyone—much less a minor. I reread that it says she got it from a pharmacy that is now under investigation. WOW.

Edited by popmom

9 hours ago, popmom said:

Still doesn’t say how does a science teacher get a vial of vaccine to inject into —anyone—much less a minor. I reread that it says she got it from a pharmacy that is now under investigation. WOW.

Right! I am flabbergasted. What in the hell goes down at that pharmacy? Are they selling drugs out the back door on the black market? Crazy

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dmmetler said:

I'm so sad to see that your government has chosen to borrow policy from the US South as opposed to....anywhere else in the world. I go back tomorrow and am just praying my kids actually wear masks. 

Masks are optional here K - 6 for students. 

I think we are following England. I don't know why! 

(I think the thing I find hardest is that no-one in my family wants to recognize my job is going to put me at sig risk of infection, exacerbation of existing illness, hospitalization. It's one thing that the government doesn't give a toss - par for the course - it's hard that family are in denial. Nobody wants to think about it.)

• Sad 5

46 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

Masks are optional here K - 6 for students. 

I think we are following England. I don't know why! 

(I think the thing I find hardest is that no-one in my family wants to recognize my job is going to put me at sig risk of infection, exacerbation of existing illness, hospitalization. It's one thing that the government doesn't give a toss - par for the course - it's hard that family are in denial. Nobody wants to think about it.)

I think people that don’t work up close with kids really don’t have a clue about the reality of it which explains some of the totally ridiculous ideas that come out occasionally about how schools will run. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

This is true. 

I honestly don’t get how this is going to work unless we have a massive drop in cases. We’ve had to separate the family in half twice this month first time to protect youngest who is unvaxed second so that dh could keep working while I isolated. It is far from ideal as it means the kids are tending to themselves while I’m out of action and dh is at work. They are old enough to manage that for a short period while I’m close by if anything goes seriously wrong but I can’t imagine doing this over and over again through the year. I really struggle to make myself heard clearly masked up. But if I don’t we’re going to end up like this over and over again. 

• Sad 1

What do people think about the short sharp omicron peak? How much of that is inherent and how much is human behaviour? What we saw here was that people really stopped going out once things were spiking so I’m assuming that had a bit of an impact. If it was some kind of natural spike that might be good and mean it’s not a recurring pattern but if it was human behaviour driven it’s just going to happen again 

32 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

What do people think about the short sharp omicron peak? How much of that is inherent and how much is human behaviour? What we saw here was that people really stopped going out once things were spiking so I’m assuming that had a bit of an impact. If it was some kind of natural spike that might be good and mean it’s not a recurring pattern but if it was human behaviour driven it’s just going to happen again 

Ref is under 1 here, but I assume that's behavior driven. People haven't locked down, but they've moderated movement considerably. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I honestly don’t get how this is going to work unless we have a massive drop in cases. We’ve had to separate the family in half twice this month first time to protect youngest who is unvaxed second so that dh could keep working while I isolated. It is far from ideal as it means the kids are tending to themselves while I’m out of action and dh is at work. They are old enough to manage that for a short period while I’m close by if anything goes seriously wrong but I can’t imagine doing this over and over again through the year. I really struggle to make myself heard clearly masked up. But if I don’t we’re going to end up like this over and over again. 

I'm love-hate with my mask. Love that it's a form of protection I can control, hate working in it for extended periods. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

I'm love-hate with my mask. Love that it's a form of protection I can control, hate working in it for extended periods. 

I agree. I'm not really looking forward to wearing a mask to teach in tomorrow, after more than a month of wearing one for maybe an hour at a time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Melissa Louise said:

I have a dry cough and it literally feels like I’m breathing in mask fibers. When I inhale my mouth feels weird. This has been going on for weeks. I started wearing a cloth mask under my N95 but then read that it’s not good to double up with those because it messes up the fit. I really hope I’m not damaging my lungs wearing a mask day after day. 

Edited by whitestavern
  • Sad 2

Just now, whitestavern said:

I have a dry cough and it literally feels like I’m breathing in mask fibers. When I inhale my mouse feels weird. This has been going on for weeks. I started wearing a cloth mask under my N95 but then read that it’s not good to double up with those because it messes up the fit. I really hope I’m not damaging my lungs wearing a mask day after day. 

Oh, that doesn't sound good! Hope you find one that works better for you.

I just get incredibly hot and sweaty and dehydrated under there. And my nose hurts where the mask sits. It's miserable. 

We have finally had our superspreader event. There was an omicron case that went to a wedding in Auckland which had people from all over the country attending. And one of the people who then tested positive was a flight attendant who worked on 5 flights. So they have moved the entire country to the 'red' level, which really doesn't impact the vaccinated much as we are already with masks and vaccine passes but now we can't meet with more than 100 people. But the unvaccinated can really only go to the grocery store now. They basically cannot go inside any public buildings or meet in any groups.

I've been at camp and now come home to my block of flats, and have talked to about 15 different people, and not one is worried. It is really fascinating. People generally feel that 1) they have done all they can with being double vaccinated and boosted, 2) the hospitals are in a reasonably decent shape because the staff are not tired and we only have 19 covid cases in the hospital today and none in ICU, and 3) the public is not covid weary so is willing to do what is required to slow the growth while we get all the boosters in.

The government has released a 3 part plan with phase 1) the stamp it out strategy with contact tracing and isolating to give us a month to get as many boosters in as possible and get the kids vaccinated. Phase 2) they expect more than 1000 cases within a month and they will switch to protecting the vulnerable. Phase 3) endemic spread. Their goal is just to slow the whole thing down through public health measures - the unvaccinated can't go into public spaces, masks are mandated, no events over 100 (which is why Jacinda cancelled her wedding next week), testing, isolating, controlled school closing, localized lockdowns etc. And everyone I have talked to is all OK with this and willing to follow the advice and requirements. 

The government is also working on dealing with supply chain issues. I'd love to get more details on this as I'm very curious how they hope to mitigate some of the impacts. 

NZ will be an interesting control for this crazy world-wide experiment. We have basically eradicated delta, so all the spread will be omicron. But we have no exposure to Alpha, Beta, or Delta, so we are just reliant on vaccines not on natural immunity. 

But I have just found it interesting that there is no panic yet. There was panic buying the day of the announcement, but it lasted for only 3 hours, and what went was the potato chips, beer, and mayonnaise (not sure I want to go to that party!). Most of us seem to already have a plan and have been slowly stocking up. And I think the general trust in the government will serve us well. Don't get me wrong, there are loud descenters, but they are in the very small minority as 97% of all New Zealanders have had at least one jab to are in agreement that this is the right path. (My city is 99%+). I also think that by cancelling her wedding, Jacinda has say 'we are all in this together and will all make sacrifices.'

I'm hopeful as this thing spreads here that we will keep calm and carry on, which is really the kiwi way. The constant refrain here is "be kind."

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Melissa Louise said:

I have one kid who has a parent with mask exemption and he asks me to take a mask off every time he comes in. Last year I wasn’t that worried and just unmasked with younger kids but obviously I don’t want to do that now. Kid has autism so hope he doesn’t freak out.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, whitestavern said:

I have a dry cough and it literally feels like I’m breathing in mask fibers. When I inhale my mouth feels weird. This has been going on for weeks. I started wearing a cloth mask under my N95 but then read that it’s not good to double up with those because it messes up the fit. I really hope I’m not damaging my lungs wearing a mask day after day. 

That doesn’t sound good.  Does the mask sit up hard against your face? I have seen some that look like they have a better shape to allow a tight seal round the edge but more room in front of the face. Maybe they would work better?

34 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I have one kid who has a parent with mask exemption and he asks me to take a mask off every time he comes in. Last year I wasn’t that worried and just unmasked with younger kids but obviously I don’t want to do that now. Kid has autism so hope he doesn’t freak out.

That's hard. Social stories about masks? We also talk about how to tell the teacher is smiling under there - look for the eye creases! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lewelma said:

So they have moved the entire country to the 'red' level, which really doesn't impact the vaccinated much as we are already with masks and vaccine passes but now we can't meet with more than 100 people.

That seems like so many to me! Especially since its omicron, and vaccines are only going to protect a smaller portion of people from being able to catch it. The plan does seem like it will keep everything manageable in health care and prevent a lot of serious disease and death among the unvaccinated. I wonder why they are going with such large groups?

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Is there such a thing as a mask exemption that means someone else has to remove their mask? That doesn't seem like it would be a thing.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KSera said:

That seems like so many to me! Especially since its omicron, and vaccines are only going to protect a smaller portion of people from being able to catch it. The plan does seem like it will keep everything manageable in health care and prevent a lot of serious disease and death among the unvaccinated. I wonder why they are going with such large groups?

Is there such a thing as a mask exemption that means someone else has to remove their mask? That doesn't seem like it would be a thing.

No. It definitely doesn’t mean I have to but kid is hard to manage and obviously has some anxiety around people in masks. So it’s more of a social pressure thing. I can technically be exempt from wearing one because it can be considered an impediment to teaching.  However, I’m going to just have to stand my ground and not worry about what people think. If that doesn’t work I guess I resign and start looking for something else.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, KSera said:

Agreed. They made the traffic light system for delta, and then omicron came. They will be adjusting the rules, but have not yet made them public. We are supposed to get an announcement by Wednesday. Because they are following science and the scientists' recommendations, sometimes the rules take some time to adjust. They don't just shoot from the hip. 

The plan is to still contact trace and isolate while the numbers are small. There are currently 20 known omicron cases and it has only been circulating for 6 days. This is pretty much a certainty. So the numbers are still manageable for contact tracing which they will do until they hit 1000. With restrictions, and it being summer, and people being careful, we might get 5 days to doubling. If so we have about 28 days until it gets unmanageable. American never started with a known number of cases and locations that they could track and trace and isolate. So we are in a different situation.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

No. It definitely doesn’t mean I have to but kid is hard to manage and obviously has some anxiety around people in masks. So it’s more of a social pressure thing. I can technically be exempt from wearing one because it can be considered an impediment to teaching.  However, I’m going to just have to stand my ground and not worry about what people think. If that doesn’t work I guess I resign and start looking for something else.

There exists a KF94 with a clear front panel. Made by Savewo I think? They ship from Singapore and got good ratings when tested by Aaron Collins. Might not be able to get any in time I realize. 

Omicron has now started to spread in WA, we had 24 cases yesterday and 13 today. Most are traceable to known cases/location at the moment so still mostly under control I think. With ‘Australia Day’ celebrations still going ahead (at this stage) on Wednesday I’m not optimistic about keeping numbers low but we will see.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, KSera said:

There exists a KF94 with a clear front panel. Made by Savewo I think? They ship from Singapore and got good ratings when tested by Aaron Collins. Might not be able to get any in time I realize. 

I think to be honest volume is the issue. I do tend to be on the quiet side in real life so have to keep reminding myself to speak up when I’m in a mask. 

45 minutes ago, AurieD said:

Omicron has now started to spread in WA, we had 24 cases yesterday and 13 today. Most are traceable to known cases/location at the moment so still mostly under control I think. With ‘Australia Day’ celebrations still going ahead (at this stage) on Wednesday I’m not optimistic about keeping numbers low but we will see.

I kind of wonder if it will be politically more palatable in WA to have it escape versus opening the border to it.  I know that’s kind of cynical though.

• Like 2

January 24, 2020. Wow. So much has changed. So much then was still unknown. So much still left to learn. I’m taking some time to reflect on all the lives lost and those lives that have been changed forever due to this virus. I’m sick with it even as I type this. And yet I’m so grateful for the vaccines. So much more to be grateful for. I will refrain from waxing philosophical here on the forum. I’m hopeful that relief is near.

2 hours ago, SKL said:

This is the 2nd anniversary of this thread.  Sadly.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I kind of wonder if it will be politically more palatable in WA to have it escape versus opening the border to it.  I know that’s kind of cynical though.

I’m not sure. Delaying the border opening wasn’t super popular, so if we end up with high numbers and a closed border it’s not going to go down well.

I think with closed borders we have a better chance to slow it down and not overwhelm our hospitals, so I personally prefer it. But most of my family and friends are here, it’s a lot harder for others. They should never have said the opening was set and wouldn’t change though - that’s lost a lot of trust. 

Scotland is not fully following England: masks are still required in most indoor areas, but other restrictions have mostly been lifted.  My colleague is self-isolating because both of her grandchildren have tested positive (cold symptoms) and she spent Saturday with them.  She says that the junior schools are full of Covid - staff and senior school pupils have to wear masks, but junior school pupils (up to age 12) do not. 

The following graph is just for PCR tests so will understate the total, but that would probably have a similar shape.

image.png.24e13b38583cd3afc5ff06f651e92c2d.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AurieD said:

I’m not sure. Delaying the border opening wasn’t super popular, so if we end up with high numbers and a closed border it’s not going to go down well.

I think with closed borders we have a better chance to slow it down and not overwhelm our hospitals, so I personally prefer it. But most of my family and friends are here, it’s a lot harder for others. They should never have said the opening was set and wouldn’t change though - that’s lost a lot of trust. 

Yeah okay.  A lot of people were vocal about borders here but they’re mostly quiet now.  I don’t think it’s gone politically well here. But there’s still time before an election.

8 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

That doesn’t sound good.  Does the mask sit up hard against your face? I have seen some that look like they have a better shape to allow a tight seal round the edge but more room in front of the face. Maybe they would work better?

The mask is comfortable and feels roomy enough. It only touches my face around the edge. I may have to try a 5 ply cloth, though I won’t feel nearly as confident in its ability to filter 😞

Great start for the semester. I have 6 private students scheduled today. So far, I have two kids and one parent with COVID symptoms and awaiting tests. The good news, I guess,is that they all cancelled as opposed to coming anyway (including the one where the parent is sick). 

Last term, I had more kids miss in the first month than the entire 2020-2021 year. If this continues, I may well hit more kids in the first WEEK of this semester than in the entire 2020-2021 year. 

L starts classes in person today. Except for Spanish, because the professor tested positive. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 10

11 hours ago, SKL said:

Incredible.

I remember mentioning this thread to DH in the beginning, and updating him with *how many* pages we were up to— 20 pages! Omg 70 pages unbelievable!

And here we are two years later at 450 pages, detailing our biases, our misunderstandings, research as it happened in real time, personal feelings and opinions from around the world, conspiracies both debunked and clung to, losses, hopes, the monumental and small ways this has touched the lives of every one of us.

I hope this is archived; DH says it ought to go in some sort of time capsule. Lol. I’m overwhelmed at the amount of information residing here. Thanks to everyone who has kept it going.

• Like 26

36 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Incredible.

I remember mentioning this thread to DH in the beginning, and updating him with *how many* pages we were up to— 20 pages! Omg 70 pages unbelievable!

And here we are two years later at 450 pages, detailing our biases, our misunderstandings, research as it happened in real time, personal feelings and opinions from around the world, conspiracies both debunked and clung to, losses, hopes, the monumental and small ways this has touched the lives of every one of us.

I hope this is archived; DH says it ought to go in some sort of time capsule. Lol. I’m overwhelmed at the amount of information residing here. Thanks to everyone who has kept it going.

It is a very good diary of what it was like to go through this.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

Great start for the semester. I have 6 private students scheduled today. So far, I have two kids and one parent with COVID symptoms and awaiting tests. The good news, I guess,is that they all cancelled as opposed to coming anyway (including the one where the parent is sick). 

Last term, I had more kids miss in the first month than the entire 2020-2021 year. If this continues, I may well hit more kids in the first WEEK of this semester than in the entire 2020-2021 year. 

L starts classes in person today. Except for Spanish, because the professor tested positive. 

My income has taken a hit because so many tutoring sessions have been cancelled. We can do Zoom, but sick kids cannot study.

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

My income has taken a hit because so many tutoring sessions have been cancelled. We can do Zoom, but sick kids cannot study.

I am so sorry. I decided not to tutor this year due to this very thing. If I tell mother in law not to make medical appointments on days x and y, and then the students are always cancelling, it is hard on her especially when she is waiting on openings with specialists. I just couldn't have her continue saying, "I don't have a driver that afternoon" when I wasn't going to be able to keep a schedule anyway. It is so frustrating.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Mine pay by the semester, and I have two weeks for makeups built into the calendar. Which may end up not being enough if this semester goes like fall did, or worse. I only had one kid take me up on zoom last year, and she was quarantined, but not sick. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SKL said:

This thread has been such a huge resource!

I get a little testy when I hear the US media speak over and over about the pandemic being more than two years. I know we had scattered cases here and there, and it was technically an epidemic in China (and a few places) before March of 2020, but I feel like talking about it being "more than two years" just makes people more antsy about taking precautions of any kind. IIRC, it was declared a pandemic in March of 2020 with it being an epidemic before that. 

I do remember the dread and concern of waiting and wondering how it would go. I never expected shut downs, so I was immediately grateful for them. Prior to the lockdown, I was truly anticipating that my family would get it quickly, and that my DH might die (frontline healthcare worker; one of the first cases we knew about was in a co-worker that ended up with long Covid--was still barely getting out of bed 9 months later). 

Edited by kbutton
  • Like 2