Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

2 hours ago, ieta_cassiopeia said:

Also, let 'er rip is something I'm very wary about because a meta-analysis indicates that about a third of people with COVID end up with fatigue, and a fifth with cognitive impairment (there's overlap). This doesn't seem to reduce much in the 3-6 month period, nor with mildness of initial infection (this tallies with the 11.5% incidence of certain serious conditions found by a study several months ago). It's also indicated that over a quarter of adults who got COVID have been unable to return to work for at least 6 months after contracting confirmed COVID. Children are more resilient but still get significant problems bouncing back from the fatigue and cognitive impairment issues.

Where do you get the 1 in 4 adults could not return to work for 6 months? We've had quite a bit of COVID at my workplace (different waves over the last 18 months) and everyone has come back after recovery. So this stat seems very out of touch. Or like it might apply in some subset of audience that has been lost.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

Where do you get the 1 in 4 adults could not return to work for 6 months? We've had quite a bit of COVID at my workplace (different waves over the last 18 months) and everyone has come back after recovery. So this stat seems very out of touch. Or like it might apply in some subset of audience that has been lost.

I don't mind people asking for stats at all, but it's also possible that your workplace represents a subset of people for whom this stat doesn't fit. 😉 

The first person we know of that contracted Covid (HCW) was still unable to do normal daily tasks 9 months afterwards (and now we're not in the same circles to know how she is). I know someone else that acquired new exercise-induced asthma after Covid, and lots of people that have informally stated taking a long time to come back (usually touting recommendations from a group that promotes conspiracy theories, sadly), and even some people that didn't realize they might be facing a version of long-Covid that has only affected on part of life and haven't yet followed up with anyone to find out if it's permanent (also asthma-like condition that is new to the person). 

1 minute ago, kbutton said:

I don't mind people asking for stats at all, but it's also possible that your workplace represents a subset of people for whom this stat doesn't fit. 😉 

The first person we know of that contracted Covid (HCW) was still unable to do normal daily tasks 9 months afterwards (and now we're not in the same circles to know how she is). I know someone else that acquired new exercise-induced asthma after Covid, and lots of people that have informally stated taking a long time to come back (usually touting recommendations from a group that promotes conspiracy theories, sadly), and even some people that didn't realize they might be facing a version of long-Covid that has only affected on part of life and haven't yet followed up with anyone to find out if it's permanent (also asthma-like condition that is new to the person). 

I guess I expected if 1 in 4 people cannot return to work for 6 months, then in ALL the groups I'm aware of, with many more than 5X that number of people having had COVID, I'd at least know a few that fit the category. The people at work just being the largest number of those and the place I'd know the best if they returned to work or not.  However, if it is 1 in 4 of people over the age of 70? Then yeah not many of those at my work.

I certainly know a few women that had menstrual irregularities after receiving the vaccine and that stat is much smaller than 1 in 4. (Not including anyone on the board that has discussed the matter)

• Like 1

Just now, vonfirmath said:

I guess I expected if 1 in 4 people cannot return to work for 6 months, then in ALL the groups I'm aware of, with many more than 5X that number of people having had COVID, I'd at least know a few that fit the category. The people at work just being the largest number of those and the place I'd know the best if they returned to work or not.  However, if it is 1 in 4 of people over the age of 70? Then yeah not many of those at my work.

I certainly know a few women that had menstrual irregularities after receiving the vaccine and that stat is much smaller than 1 in 4. (Not including anyone on the board that has discussed the matter)

The fact that your stats don't fit either way shows it's not that cut and dry. 🙂 

My son has a disease with an incidence of 1/5000 to 1/10,000, but any doctor's likelihood of seeing a patient with it is not 1/5000 to 1/10000. Some will never see it, some will see it multiple times, and some will discount it because they've already seen the one case their medical school professor said they'd see. Sometimes they do this while acknowledging clinical manifestations of the disorder that are nearly definitive for that disorder, and that good clinical practice requires you to find a differential diagnosis for those manifestations (or to refer them to someone who can make that diagnosis). It's literally malpractice to not follow-up on it, and yet doctors don't. This is terrible given that 50% of the people who have the disease don't know they have it, and the average lifespan for those who don't know is age 40 because they can't get treatment when they don't have a diagnosis (treatment leads to an almost normal average lifespan, and that stat just keeps getting better). 

Anyway, stats inform population-wide practices and decisions but should be used with caution in smaller samples.

Just now, Ausmumof3 said:

A question I have and am seeing discussed is why reduced lung issues with Omicron is such a big deal given that covid has many other aspects such as blood clotting etc. Does anyone know if there’s any indication that omicron is less severe in those areas as well? 

Not sure about the microclotting but I’ll see if I can find something.

17 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

A question I have and am seeing discussed is why reduced lung issues with Omicron is such a big deal given that covid has many other aspects such as blood clotting etc. Does anyone know if there’s any indication that omicron is less severe in those areas as well? 

No, have only read that it affects bronchi rather than lower lungs, but nothing so far on multi- system effects. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ieta_cassiopeia said:

Also, let 'er rip is something I'm very wary about because a meta-analysis indicates that about a third of people with COVID end up with fatigue, and a fifth with cognitive impairment (there's overlap). This doesn't seem to reduce much in the 3-6 month period, nor with mildness of initial infection (this tallies with the 11.5% incidence of certain serious conditions found by a study several months ago). It's also indicated that over a quarter of adults who got COVID have been unable to return to work for at least 6 months after contracting confirmed COVID. Children are more resilient but still get significant problems bouncing back from the fatigue and cognitive impairment issues.

This linked meta analysis appears to be the percentage of people suffering from post covid syndrome who experience fatigue or cognitive impairment, not the percentage of people who have had covid.

56 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

This is why I've chosen to homeschool my niece and nephew who are in MI. I figure that I currently have it very good here in NZ so I'm going to pass it on. I have not told my sister that I will take an $8k financial hit because I won't take on this new student I was considering taking on.

• Like 6
  • Sad 3

Not sure if this has been posted 

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2022/01/early-israeli-findings-show-fivefold-boost-fourth-covid-vaccine-dose

”Researchers from Israel reported promising preliminary findings from a study on fourth COVID-19 vaccine shots, which suggest the second booster produces a fivefold increase in antibody levels.

Antibody findings follow recent safety data

A few weeks ago, a team from Sheba Medical Center near Tel Aviv launched a study in 154 hospital workers to examine safety and antibody response. All had received their first booster before Aug 20 and had antibody readings below 700, according to Haaretz, a newspaper based in Tel Aviv.

Israel pioneered the use of booster shots and is among the first to recommend them for high-risk groups. Two days ago, the country announced that it would begin offering fourth doses to those over 60, along with health workers.

Today, the country's health ministry Director-General, Nachman Ash, MD, received his fourth dose. "We're talking about a very, very contagious variant, as we can see. Infection rates are rising and soaring with each passing day," he said in a statement, adding that the best response is vaccination.

Researchers had recently released preliminary findings on safety, noting that the side effect profile was similar to that of third doses. Recent data from Israel indicated significant waning in protection as soon as 3 months after the third COVID-19 vaccine dose.”

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Arcadia said:

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2022/01/early-israeli-findings-show-fivefold-boost-fourth-covid-vaccine-dose

”Researchers from Israel reported promising preliminary findings from a study on fourth COVID-19 vaccine shots, which suggest the second booster produces a fivefold increase in antibody levels.

A few weeks ago, a team from Sheba Medical Center near Tel Aviv launched a study in 154 hospital workers to examine safety and antibody response. All had received their first booster before Aug 20 and had antibody readings below 700, according to Haaretz, a newspaper based in Tel Aviv.

Israel pioneered the use of booster shots and is among the first to recommend them for high-risk groups. Two days ago, the country announced that it would begin offering fourth doses to those over 60, along with health workers.

Today, the country's health ministry Director-General, Nachman Ash, MD, received his fourth dose. "We're talking about a very, very contagious variant, as we can see. Infection rates are rising and soaring with each passing day," he said in a statement, adding that the best response is vaccination.

Researchers had recently released preliminary findings on safety, noting that the side effect profile was similar to that of third doses. Recent data from Israel indicated significant waning in protection as soon as 3 months after the third COVID-19 vaccine dose.”

Nope. I am done.  I mean are we supposed to get a booster every 2-4 months? Not sustainable. I mean here we are getting booster after booster and the majority world can’t even get the initial vaccine. 

In a year, if I need a shot , fine.  But I am done. 3 shots will have to be enough. Just done. The goalpost never stops. I am done. 

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Nope. I am done.  I mean are we supposed to get a booster every 2-4 months? Not sustainable. I mean here we are getting booster after booster and the majority world can’t even get the initial vaccine. 

In a year, if I need a shot , fine.  But I am done. 3 shots will have to be enough. Just done. The goalpost never stops. I am done. 

Yep.  I’m not wanting to do it every three months. Unless there’s evidence of zero protection against severe illness or something I guess. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I don’t wade through this thread often, but has anyone posted this yet? Possible breakthrough on long covid: https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/medical-advances/588443-south-african-scientist-thinks-she-may-have

Research has shown that Covid causes microclotting. I would think they’d have suspected it might contribute or cause long Covid, too. I’ve read about some of the treatments that are being used to target the microclotting and they seem to look good. More studies are needed but this is looking positive. I’ll try to find the paper. I think it’s a preprint.

• Like 5

Well, my 2 year run of not knowing anyone (or even anyone who knows anyone) with Covid has come to an end.

My eldest's fiance tested positive. We fully expect my daughter to test positive too.

*sigh* 

I want our old Queensland back. The one where our Premier would proudly talk about protecting Queenslanders and would boast of double donut days.

It's a runaway train now.

Edited by chocolate-chip chooky
  • Sad 14

9 hours ago, TexasProud said:

I understand that not everyone will want to keep up with boosters, but I don't think we'll need constant boosters once we're past pandemic stage except maybe for traveling to outbreak areas or maybe for healthcare workers.

I don't think it's that big of deal to keep getting them, but we've had middle of the road reactions and aren't people that get sick often. Our covid shot woes are probably about equivalent to the number of days we get colds when we're out about without masks in a normal year. I have one child that's never even barfed without having a migraine (age 14), and the other hasn't had tummy issues since he was potty training (age 17). If we have to suck it up to feel a little crummy for a few shots, it's not a big deal. I can imagine people who get sick a lot or who have tight schedules might feel differently.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Well, my 2 year run of not knowing anyone (or even anyone who knows anyone) with Covid has come to an end.

My eldest's fiance tested positive. We fully expect my daughter to test positive too.

*sigh* 

I want our old Queensland back. The one where our Premier would proudly talk about protecting Queenslanders and would boast of double donut days.

It's a runaway train now.

Me too. 

My brother who lives locally apprentice and wife has it.. They were lucky enough to have a rapid test. There are no more testing facilities in this part of the state as they have shut down to process the backlog of tests. My brother knows dozens and dozens of locals with it, all whe were at big local new years party outside at a local pub. All are not officially reported as they cannot access testing. A few managed to get rapid tests that were positive. All vaccinated to be able to attend event. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

17 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I'm really grateful to Israel and Israelis for being so far out in front that at this point, they are the world's guinea pigs. I've actually found it reassuring to be able to look and see what Israel is doing. 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, TexasProud said:

Well, everyone will make their choice. If I can get a free booster and have a bad evening with chills and it reduces my odds of infecting my high risk family members I will be there with bells on. Heck, get me a punch card where I can earn a free sandwich after however many - only slightly kidding - I've had a hankering for a BLT for days now. One bread with gluten, not the stuff I have in the house. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

2 out of 7 guys in dh’s one-room office have it.   The two who are positive are the only two vaxxed.   Just one more reason for the other guys to balk at getting vaxxed.  I’ve tried nagging, bitching and moaning… sigh.   This won’t help.  🤦🏻‍♀️😢    I’m guessing we’ll both have it by tomorrow.   😒

• Sad 14

15 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

2 out of 7 guys in dh’s one-room office have it.   The two who are positive are the only two vaxxed.   Just one more reason for the other guys to balk at getting vaxxed.  I’ve tried nagging, bitching and moaning… sigh.   This won’t help.  🤦🏻‍♀️😢    I’m guessing we’ll both have it by tomorrow.   😒

I hope not but I would be feeling the same way.  😞  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm feeling a bit tetchy at the moment. 

My county health agency just posted on facebook a message that goes something like, "Hey! We know that covid tests are commercially unavailable and that there are no testing appointments out for several days. We ordered a very small amount of tests and have already distributed those to various agencies and those are already gone. Wow! Covid sure has blown up. Didn't see this coming. Uh, if you think you have covid, stay home. Don't seek medical attention unless you are dying because we're so overwhelmed we can't help you. Good luck." 

My state sent out a message, "Um, yeah, so we ordered millions of tests, and received 1/30(!) of what we ordered, but don't worry, the feds will have some tests you can order for delivery to your home by the end of the month."

It's like they are so danged surprised that people might need tests during a pandemic or something. We haven't had a steady supply of inexpensive tests EVER during this thing. We haven't had easy access to PCRs with a quick return EVER during this pandemic.  We haven't had easy access to vaccines for ped doses or boosters or anything. It's just one dang train wreck after another for nearly three years. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 3

7 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I'm feeling a bit tetchy at the moment. 

My county health agency just posted on facebook a message that goes something like, "Hey! We know that covid tests are commercially unavailable and that there are no testing appointments out for several days. We ordered a very small amount of tests and have already distributed those to various agencies and those are already gone. Wow! Covid sure has blown up. Didn't see this coming. Uh, if you think you have covid, stay home. Don't seek medical attention unless you are dying because we're so overwhelmed we can't help you. Good luck." 

My state sent out a message, "Um, yeah, so we ordered millions of tests, and received 1/30(!) of what we ordered, but don't worry, the feds will have some tests you can order for delivery to your home by the end of the month."

It's like they are so danged surprised that people might need tests during a pandemic or something. We haven't had a steady supply of inexpensive tests EVER during this thing. We haven't had easy access to PCRs with a quick return EVER during this pandemic.  We haven't had easy access to vaccines for ped doses or boosters or anything. It's just one dang train wreck after another for nearly three years. 

Truth.

So frustrating.

• Like 1

I never felt bad after any of the shots.  I just don’t like medicine. I cannot do pain meds and other than vitamins don’t do anything other than advil once or twice a year.  I just don’t like the idea of chemicals in me so much.  At this point, if I am going to die, I will die. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TexasProud said:

I read an article about this. At some point, you can only boost so much before you've maxxed out your benefit.  I know everything says these are safe and all that, but boosting myself an unknown number of times is one thing, but for my children, it is a much harder choice.   I chickened out of the kids' appointment this week at a clinic and made appointments at the health department across the county to get individual time slots without a crowd.  I am still not sure I can go through with this, knowing they're still getting the original formula.  I'm just bitter I shouldn't have to worry about my kids as much because adults could do better---not just with vaccines, but with precautions.  I feel like I have to protect them from idiots.  And yes, the logistics already suck of dealing with this with four kids.  

Edited by KrisTom
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

I never felt bad after any of the shots.  I just don’t like medicine. I cannot do pain meds and other than vitamins don’t do anything other than advil once or twice a year.  I just don’t like the idea of chemicals in me so much.  At this point, if I am going to die, I will die. 

Yeah, but see, you did your part.  You did three shots.  Some will never do 1, so I guess we just have to achieve the path from pandemic to endemic the harder way.

5 hours ago, kbutton said:

I understand that not everyone will want to keep up with boosters, but I don't think we'll need constant boosters once we're past pandemic stage except maybe for traveling to outbreak areas or maybe for healthcare workers.

I don't think it's that big of deal to keep getting them, but we've had middle of the road reactions and aren't people that get sick often. Our covid shot woes are probably about equivalent to the number of days we get colds when we're out about without masks in a normal year. I have one child that's never even barfed without having a migraine (age 14), and the other hasn't had tummy issues since he was potty training (age 17). If we have to suck it up to feel a little crummy for a few shots, it's not a big deal. I can imagine people who get sick a lot or who have tight schedules might feel differently.

I actually wouldn't mind having a booster every 4 months. My booster was a little over 3 months ago and whenever I hear talk of more boosters I think, "Bring it on!" 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Longtime Lurker said:

I actually wouldn't mind having a booster every 4 months. My booster was a little over 3 months ago and whenever I hear talk of more boosters I think, "Bring it on!" 

My view may be coloured by the fact that mine was yesterday and I’m currently feeling pretty average. Achy and tired again. Off balance. 

Also, I thought booster was a half dose but according the nurse doing it it was a full third dose.  I’m not sure what the deal is with that.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

My view may be coloured by the fact that mine was yesterday and I’m currently feeling pretty average. Achy and tired again. Off balance. 

Also, I thought booster was a half dose but according the nurse doing it it was a full third dose.  I’m not sure what the deal is with that.

Pfizer's booster is a full 30 mcg dose, Moderna's is a half dose of 50 mcg. Pfizer's initial dose was already so low, I don't know how effective it would be to halve it, and I think they halved Moderna's because of the side effects and higher rate of myocarditis with the full 100 mcg dose.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

Weird question, but is smelling mothballs a symptom?  I swear I smell mothballs.  🤷🏻‍♀️

I don't know about mothballs,  but I still smell a weird smell after recovering.  I kept describing mine as fruity cardboard  🤷‍♀️

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Pfizer's booster is a full 30 mcg dose, Moderna's is a half dose of 50 mcg. Pfizer's initial dose was already so low, I don't know how effective it would be to halve it, and I think they halved Moderna's because of the side effects and higher rate of myocarditis with the full 100 mcg dose.

Thanks! That probably explains that conversation and why I feel pretty much the same as dose two. 

• Like 1