Menu

Are your pies ready??

MaBelle

Yes because we bought them from Costco.😶 I was in charge of pies and rolls and wanted to make them from scratch but we had a stomach bug go through last week and while we are well and I totally bleached my kitchen surfaces, I just couldn't bring myself to prepare food for a bunch of people in there. 🤢

Edited by EmseB
  • Like 4

Nope. Don't need to worry about pies. 

My stepson's mil makes delicious pies so she always signs up to bring pies to our holiday gatherings. She brings a side dish for the meal too but is famous for her pies. (She often brings them to dss' fire station for everyone to share, and she's known there as "the pie lady".) None of us sign up to bring pie because we all know M will bring pumpkin, cherry, apple, and maybe something new she wanted to try.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 2

Pies all done!  I made a rum mincemeat, an apple, and a pumpkin.  SIL is bringing two more pies tomorrow - I think one is chocolate pecan; the other may be plain pecan, but I'm happy with whatever she brings!

Tomorrow I just have to clean a bit, set the table, and cook the turkey, gravy, and two veggies.  Everything else is being brought by others.   This is so much easier than when I used to host for dh's family.  I had to do pretty much everything.

Dh made his very popular cranberry orange relish tonight, so that's done too.

• Like 1

Yes, I made them during Fall Break in October.  Oldest was planning on bringing 2 specialty pies when she flew in from Ohio but the pear ginger pie order didn't go through to the bakery online, only the pumpkin pie order did.  Not to worry, I have 3 homemade apple pies and 1 homemade cherry pie left in the freezer.  I made the cherry pie in July and it's covered in several miles of plastic wrap and aluminum foil. I usually have one at Christmas.

• Like 1

Yes and no.  My sister bought an ice cream pie from our neighborhood ice cream shop and that is sitting in my freezer.  My son decided to make an apple crumble, which he will put together this morning, instead of apple pie (no crust - easier).  Dh is making two different green bean casserole recipes (which he hasn't started!).  Sister is bringing sheet-pan root veggies to roast at the last minute.  I have finished the turkey and dressing (though I will need to re-heat them).  We plan to eat around noon.

Normally two ovens is too many...

Happy Thanksgiving everyone, and enjoy your pies!

• Like 1

I was assigned pecan (pie) bars (among other things!) And I turned off my oven when I stuck them in. this was yesterday, BTW.

So 45 minutes later, I opened the door and said, "Heh?" and then "Whaaaat?"

When I noticed the oven was OFF...I was relieved that it hadn't died. But I was really mad at myself. I can't remember the last time I did that.

i pulled them out, preheated the oven and stuck them back in.

The good news: They are edible and taste very similar to what they should.

The bad news: the sugary layer sunk thru the crust and then thickened A LOT so it is almost like caramel. It is very sticky, too. So I put them in the container sticky side up and they look really odd. You can't see the pecan layer bc it is on the bottom.

We'll see how they go over!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I've never made key lime; Calvin requested it - he doesn't like pumpkin.

Do you have a good recipe?  Tangy rather than overly-sweet please.

Sorry, I don't. The texture is notoriously tricky to get right so I always let someone else make it (bakery, restaurant, etc.). Just don't try to substitute any other kind of lime. The flavor won't be at all right. You have to use key limes or a good bottled key lime juice.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Amira said:

I made sour cream apple and pumpkin yesterday.  There’s a peanut butter cream pie and a berry pie in the freezer.  I’ll probably save those for Friday.

Sour cream apple pie?!  Mind blown. I hope the supermarket is open because I'm going to need some sour cream urgently. 

25 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Sorry, I don't. The texture is notoriously tricky to get right so I always let someone else make it (bakery, restaurant, etc.). Just don't try to substitute any other kind of lime. The flavor won't be at all right. You have to use key limes or a good bottled key lime juice.

I'm afraid that's past praying for.  Three of us have no idea what key limes should taste like anyway, so it will have to be (non-key) lime pie.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I'm afraid that's past praying for.  Three of us have no idea what key limes should taste like anyway, so it will have to be (non-key) lime pie.

Oh well. Enjoy your pie, but if you want to try real key lime pie some time buy the juice. The limes are really small so it takes a lot to get the amount of juice you need. Plus they're a pain to juice. As long as the ingredient is just key lime juice you'll get the same flavor as with fresh ones, with a fraction of the work.

They have a different flavor. All the articles I found say they're more tart than other limes but there's more to it than that. Though hard to explain it's a kind of tartness and sweetness you don't find in say, Persian limes.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/what-are-key-limes-1807847

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Minerva said:

Sour cream apple pie?!  Mind blown. I hope the supermarket is open because I'm going to need some sour cream urgently. 

It’s so good.  I haven’t used sour cream in years, since I usually can’t get it where I live, but most any cultured dairy product works.  Crema and labnah are my favorites.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

Oh well. Enjoy your pie, but if you want to try real key lime pie some time buy the juice. The limes are really small so it takes a lot to get the amount of juice you need. Plus they're a pain to juice. As long as the ingredient is just key lime juice you'll get the same flavor as with fresh ones, with a fraction of the work.

They have a different flavor. All the articles I found say they're more tart than other limes but there's more to it than that. Though hard to explain it's a kind of tartness and sweetness you don't find in say, Persian limes.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/what-are-key-limes-1807847

If we like the version we have this time, I'll order key lime juice from Amazon next year at the same time as tinned pumpkin.

ETA sour cream apple pie looks good too. Maybe at Christmas.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Ellie said:

Yes, but I am not nearly as creative as y'all: two pumpkin pies, the end. 🙂

Haha, you make them different and then you have an excuse to eat more. This year I made some kind of creamy, but I also really like the walnut apple pies that have a streusel on top. I'm always looking for more kinds. 

One pumpkin pie cooling and rolo cookies done. Still need to dip & freeze the pumpkin cheesecake truffles because... well, I do. We'll have those tonight, I guess. Still have one pie crust in the fridge so I can make apple pie tomorrow or Saturday. 

Enchiladas in the oven. Dinner in 20 minutes, then DH is off to work.

Rolo cookies are super easy. Devil's food cake mix, an egg, some water & oil. Mix around until everything is moist. Take a bit of the dough & roll it around to completely cover the rolo. Cook for 10 min +/- 2 min at 350°F. Chewy caramel inside of a chocolate cookie.

DD at college made an apple Smores pie with one of her suitemates for the dorm potluck.

I officially don't care for the pumpkin cheesecake truffles. Should have made Buckeyes instead. Blerg. (But the pumpkin pie was superb!)

• Thanks 1

I thought I was done with pies, but then the kids wanted to give one to a neighbor and I had the foresight to check the ingredients on my crust. Lard. He's Muslim. I'm gonna have to make a pie with a homemade butter crust! But... I'll wait until tomorrow. I need more flour and more butter, and I don't want to brave the grocery store today.

Judge away, but everyone always raves about the Marie Callendar pies I buy in the frozen section! 😉All of their fruit pies except pumpkin are VEGAN, with fairly natural ingredients, too! For $4.97 on sale they are a bargain. Their apple crumb pie is amazing!

p.s. I am very open about them not being homemade. 🙂 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Amira said:

It’s so good.  I haven’t used sour cream in years, since I usually can’t get it where I live, but most any cultured dairy product works.  Crema and labnah are my favorites.

It was a total hit! This is going on the permanent Thanksgiving pie menu. I would love to try it with labnah next year. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Minerva said:

It was a total hit! This is going on the permanent Thanksgiving pie menu. I would love to try it with labnah next year. 

My middle ds loves it. He’s at university this year and it was sad to not share it with him. But maybe I can make one when we visit him at Christmas.

• Like 1