Menu

Has anybody NOT started Christmas shopping yet?

Has anybody NOT started Christmas shopping yet?  

1. 1. Has anybody NOT started Christmas shopping yet?

• No hatin' -- I've finished all my Christmas shopping! I am the queen bee!
    • I hate shopping.
    • I'm waiting for Santa to deliver our gifts.
    • I've started but I have a long way to go.
    • I've tried but I still haven't found what I'm looking for. (Time to sing some U2)
    • I wait until the last minute.
    • We don't do Christmas.
    • I refuse to participate in such a crass and materialistic holiday.
    • We celebrate/participate/observe the holidays in a different manner.
    • Other since Api was so rude and didn't include my particular circumstance.

No, we pay cash for Christmas, so it gets pushed back to the last minute. My dh's birthday was this week and that is kind of the time we start. I'm going to try and do online this year, so I need to start so I don't run into shipping deadlines.

I love shopping, but hate doing it when there are crowds.

I know there is a Santa Claus.

No thank you, I feel horrible and have not started, I have to get the budget approved prior to commencement. But my fingers are itching and raring to go.

I havent even got Christmas lists yet. I think its way too hot here. I think we are moving straight into next summer.

What holidays?

with the gifts that can be bought (although I have this nagging feeling I forgot someone/ something). I am not done with the items which must be made. I have been working on a quilt since June and am praying I will finish before Christmas. The kids and I will also make some baked goods closer to Christmas... because green icing is much more festive on a Christmas cookie than green mold.

I refuse to do anything Christmas-related till after Thanksgiving. So there.

But my kids have started their lists, both what they want, and what they want to give people. Currently they are mass-producing potholders. And they have found and started playing the Christmas CDs, and set up the manger scene! Aaaa!

No, I havent started, just managed to get through ds's 13th b'day.

Each year I seem to simplify and minimise Christmas- particularly who I buy presents for. This year I am intending to make good quality copies of some of dd's artwork and send it to the few relatives I exchange gifts with.

I really don't like Christmas much. I dotn like feelign obligated to buy people presents and I am sure its all rather a media and coporation manipulation rather than anything most people decide for themselves. oh yeah, lets go out and spend hundreds or thousands of $ on people, many of whom we barely know or like, and more on the people close ot us. I prefer to spend on B'days, myself.

Last year my mum send the kids and I a card saying she had donated money to a charity- for a goat. I think thats a better idea in these times. We have enough "stuff".

Gosh, Im a bit negative, arent I? Thats why I havent started my Christmas shopping yet- I am not very enthusiastic! My kids have everything they could possibly desire and the means to get anything else.

No, I havent started, just managed to get through ds's 13th b'day.

Each year I seem to simplify and minimise Christmas- particularly who I buy presents for. This year I am intending to make good quality copies of some of dd's artwork and send it to the few relatives I exchange gifts with.

I really don't like Christmas much. I dotn like feelign obligated to buy people presents and I am sure its all rather a media and coporation manipulation rather than anything most people decide for themselves. oh yeah, lets go out and spend hundreds or thousands of $ on people, many of whom we barely know or like, and more on the people close ot us. I prefer to spend on B'days, myself.

Last year my mum send the kids and I a card saying she had donated money to a charity- for a goat. I think thats a better idea in these times. We have enough "stuff".

Gosh, Im a bit negative, arent I? Thats why I havent started my Christmas shopping yet- I am not very enthusiastic! My kids have everything they could possibly desire and the means to get anything else.

:iagree: I love gifts, it's one of my love languages, but the insanity is sometimes over the top for me.

I've started and am almost done. But, of course, I don't have many people to shop for :D

Our 2 girls, each other :glare: and 3 friends. MIL is a complete puzzle. THe girls pick something out for her. We took a great vacation earlier this year, so our friends are all getting sweatshirts ;)

I just need to pick up a doll house for dd7 and a kitchen set for dd4. Oh, and a bilibo. And stocking stuffers. But those are last minute things becasue they have to be hidden.

• I just sent the check for college prepayment in Japan for next semester. I had to see how much money was left after that before I started thinking of Holidays. We don't buy presents on credit.
  • My dd's birthday is Dec 13, and I really can't think of Christmas until after I figure out how I am going to survive a Pony party in my yard with giggling girls.
  • I don't have my turkey yet. I just realized that I should probably find one of those things soon.
  • Isn't that enough? :crying:
  • The weather has been in the 70's in NOVEMBER. It can't be Christmas anytime soon. I think summer is going to make a comeback first. :D

I chose other - the "big" gifts are done (dd gets one big - ie expensive - gift for Christmas and we buy her b-day gift at the same time). We still have to buy her two other gifts and stocking stuff.

Besides dd we don't actually buy a lot for Christmas. We're too far away from my side of the family (and there's way too many of us) so we don't exchange gifts. I'll have flowers or a fruit basket sent to my parents. For my dh's side he's got one sibling and his parents. So we buy his brother and sil a gift and his parent's one gift (and if I'm in the mood I'll make up stockings too) and that's it except for us and dd. Easy-peasy! :001_smile:

Edited to add - all other relatives, grandparents, cousins, aunts, etc. get a Christmas card.

I don't know what's wrong with me this year. Normally I love the Christmas season... the songs, the baking, the decorations, everything. We never go overboard on gifts but I try to make a special time with my children in other ways. My kids know that by this time of year I'm usually listening to my music and itching to put some sparkly lights up.

This year? *blah* I couldn't care less about any of it. Not even a little bit. There is no negative feeling at all, it's more like Christmas doesn't even exist or is 20 years away and not even a thought in my mind yet.

Having said that, I already bought the family gift (Wii package) a few months ago. As for the rest of it? *shrug*

I don't know what's wrong with me this year. Normally I love the Christmas season... the songs, the baking, the decorations, everything. We never go overboard on gifts but I try to make a special time with my children in other ways. My kids know that by this time of year I'm usually listening to my music and itching to put some sparkly lights up.

This year? *blah* I couldn't care less about any of it. Not even a little bit. There is no negative feeling at all, it's more like Christmas doesn't even exist or is 20 years away and not even a thought in my mind yet.

Having said that, I already bought the family gift (Wii package) a few months ago. As for the rest of it? *shrug*

Except for the wii, I could have written this post. What is wrong with us?! I usually want to have Thanksgiving early so we can decorate for Christmas early, but I'm almost dreading dragging out decorations. And this is my favorite time of the year, too.

This may be my first year to ever make myself do Christmas things. Go through the motions hoping that the joy will follow.

Perhaps when the weather gets a little colder we'll both be in the holiday spirit, eh?

:grouphug: to you, Brit!

I haven't started shopping yet, but wish I had. I like getting mine done early, but this year I've been waiting on the cash to come in. It has now, so I hope to start next Monday. No wading through the after Thanksgiving crowds thank you. I will just wait for Monday. I might miss some sales, but I will keep my sanity.;)

I've only bought 1 gift for my niece, and that was because I had to order it from a candle party of my sister's. My niece LOVES candles. I don't know why I haven't started yet. I seem to have so many things on my plate right now, and don't get much time out for shopping. I only have to buy for our own family, a nephew, and 5 adults. This number doesn't include any teachers at church, kids gifts for parties, or neighbors, but those won't be huge in number and will be relatively easy and affordable. My family is only buying for the kids this year. My husband's family always buys for everyone, but as you can tell, it's small. We have 2 of the 3 grandchildren on each side.

A friend (who also homeschools) and I have been talking of doing our own Mother's Day Out and watching each other's kids for the purpose of shopping. I can always go in the evening and my dh watch as well. I need to schedule it so it will get done.

I really hate the insanity of it all. I hate that Christmas has felt like such drudgery to me in years past because of the massive chore of shopping - finding those perfect things for each kid. We're going to sit down as a family and read some books about how the Santa Claus tradition got started (ie, the real historic Santa), and what God would want us to do with our resources. Maybe they could come w/ me to help serve food at the local food bank and hopefully that will humble their inner hunger for all those "hot new toys". I want to do fun things w/ my family and enjoy the season. I don't mind getting them things, but not too much. I also can't see spending a whole lot when the money simply isn't there. I'm trying to do what I can to contribute income, but it gets eaten up so fast by the home heating oil bill and medical bills. I sound like a regular humbug, don't I? My kids all want big-ticket items this year - musical instruments, dd wants braces (we don't have dental ins.), the really big Lego sets, etc. I've never not been able to get them what they wanted, at least 1 thing each from their "list". We'll see how it blows over on Christmas morning. :tongue_smilie:

because it doesn't look like we'll have any money for Christmas this year. We may get stockings stuffed, but that will likely be it. I had hoped to use my quarterly check from co-op teaching for Christmas, but we have unexpected medical bills from dh's detached retina surgery and now a big plumbing repair. Our guys will get a chance to spend more time focusing on the true reason for the holiday.

I voted other because I haven't actually shopped for anything yet. We are doing at least one homemade gift each this year and I have gotten some of it finished. My dd has a drawer full of team shirts saved from years of playing sports that she can no longer wear. The plan is to cut them up and make them into a quilt for her. This way she still has the memories and more drawer space!

You left off "don't start thinking about christmas until after thanksgiving" option. :) That would be my choice.

Long answer: Even though my neighbors start decorating their houses in november for the dec 1 start up of our annual month long neighborhood christmas light extravaganza, I steadfastly refuse to think about. (So you know what we will be doing the weekend after thanksgiving out in the chilly air)

Even though the stores start putting out christmas stuff before Halloween, I refuse to think about it. I put my blinders on, stick my fingers in my ears and say lalalalala when someone even mentions it. ;)

My resounding quote "Talk to me about it after thanksgiving."

Short and sweet answer: Nope, I haven't even started yet.

:001_smile:

Edited by Mytwoblessings
Forgot something

This is a multiple choice poll.

I'm thinkin' about it, but haven't done anything. I'll take my ds in to get an iPod (wants it so he can listen to books after his upcoming back surgery). My other son wants a Carhardt vest...not priced at what I would consider for an everyday purchase but O.K. for a Christmas gift. Dd? She keeps coming up with ideas, but when she figures it out, I'll shop. Then I'll have the oranges, candy, and little whatnots for the stockings. Hubby? He never keeps anything I buy for him, so this year he'll get stocking stuffers and money.

Relatives...ah! I do have a couple of gifts. I bought soy candles when they were on sale after Christmas last year. Gifts here are kept pretty low-key.

Jean

b/c we just moved over 4,500 miles and just got into our house last week. The farthest thing from my mind right now is Christmas shopping. I will be lucky to have the house in order and maybe put up a tree.

Well, unless you count getting the kids pets. We went to the humane society and adopted a puppy, adult cat and a kitten. We have a full house now for sure...Yes, we have lost our minds..moving will do that to you.

:lol:

I usually buy months and months in advance and am practically done by now. But I love the sales on Black Friday, and the last few years have gotten such good deals on Amazon in December that I ended up returning a lot of my earlier purchases. So this year, I decided to wait for the bargains and save myself the trouble. I'm hoping with the economy the way it is that the sales will be especially good this year. I enjoy the challenge of making my money stretch as far as possible. Hopefully this plan will work and I won't be scrambling the week before Christmas!