Menu

Annoying dog people

Moxie

I’m at the car dealer, getting an oil change. There is another customer here with a dog, no leash. Dog is running around, smelling everything including my feet. Dog owner thinks it is adorable and we should all love his dog. People, wtf, leave your dog at home. And don’t tell me it might be some kind of service/support creature, I don’t care, stop smelling me!

• Like 23

I’m at the car dealer, getting an oil change. There is another customer here with a dog, no leash. Dog is running around, smelling everything including my feet. Dog owner thinks it is adorable and we should all love his dog. People, wtf, leave your dog at home. And don’t tell me it might be some kind of service/support creature, I don’t care, stop smelling me!

I feel your pain.  I like dogs.  But I don't like this trend of dogs everywhere.  

• Like 10

I adore dogs and would love to spend some free time with one! But this mentality drives me insane, right along with the one that believes that it's OK for THEIR dog to be off their leash because THEIR dog is friendly and knows its boundaries and would never bolt across the street/attack another pet/jump on a child/bite someone. It has always boggled my mind. 

• Like 11

I feel your pain. I like dogs. But I don't like this trend of dogs everywhere.

I like dogs, too. I even have a dog! But I’m allergic and break out in hives at most dogs, so it would be nice to leave your dog at home or on a leash.

• Like 3

Last weekend, I got into a very loud verbal altercation with a complete jerk at my favorite running trail over this very issue.  I had my LEASHED dog running with me; I'm a regular there--I know all of the other regulars; I am there four times a week.  I know the rules; I obey the rules; and I LOVE these trails.  But my dog, the Best Dog in the World, does not like other dogs sniffing at her.  This guy's dogs come running up to us, the owner was 20 yards away, and I tried to kick one of his dogs away.  Note that the dog was on my feet, easily within kicking range, and the owner was 20 yards away.  I tried to stay between my dog and his dog, but there were two of them--not possible.  Anyway, the dogs were clearly not under his control.  The guy went ballistic!  And I yelled right back at him, so we stood and yelled at each other on the trail.  It was LOVELY.  And then his wife joined in.  And these were not kids--they were in their 60s!  Other regulars occasionally have their dogs unleashed, but they grab their dogs and apologetically snap on a leash any time someone comes within view.  If I don't have my dog with me, I'll waive them off, "Oh, that's okay; mind if I say hi?"  That actually happened this morning, and I got to pet an adorable little black something-or-another.  But when I have my dog with me, the only appropriate response from him would have been, "I am so, so sorry!  I'll leash them from here on out."

• Like 10

I was in the bakery section of the grocery store last week when a woman walked by with a fluffy-tailed little dog on a leash!  That dog was swishing its  tail all over the baked goods on the bottom shelf as they walked by.  I was disgusted so I went to the customer service desk and asked them about health department regulations concerning non-service dogs in food stores.   They claimed it's not allowed.  So why are they letting people do it???

• Like 6

I love dogs too, but don't get me started on people letting their dogs roam off-leash or taking dogs into public accommodation places.

Oh, just one.  Yesterday a dog ran out into the street and I almost hit him.  His human, a middle-aged woman, was carrying the leash.  Unattached to the dog, see. Just carrying it. 

• Like 1

We were walking into Best Buy on Friday and walked past a couple getting out of the car. The lady was holding a baby and she told her husband that she changed her mind and they needed the stroller. So the guy gets it out and we see them in the store...it wasn't a baby the lady had been holding, but a dog in a sweater. 

On the plus side, the dog was in a stroller so not running around or sniffing my crotch.  It didn't bother me at all but I admit we did laugh. So glad dh was there- not sure he would have believed me. 

I like responsible pet owners but ones who expect me to cater to their dog as much as they do...not so much.  Then again, I feel the same way about parents and kids. Sometimes kids cry or whatever and I don't fault the parents. But parents who let their kid ride a bike in the store or push the shopping cart wildly....ugh. 

• Like 1

When I was in London a couple of years ago, dd and I were walking in Hyde Park. We saw a dog off leash and walked behind it for awhile. At first we thought it was a stray, but it was apparently being trained by someone several feet in front of it. The dog would stop and stand still, sit down and wait for a signal, or immediately lay down from a trot. The owner didn't appear to be able to see it, but the dog was watching for the owner's signals. We were amazed at this little dog!! There were other dogs around, but this dog totally ignored them. If dogs were as well trained locally, I wouldn't mind them being off leash.

• Like 3

I love dogs but hate it too. Emotional support/service dogs who are allowed in businesses should behave like working dogs. They should either be on leash or so good at doing their jobs that they don't leave their people's sides.  If your pup is training and has a little training shirt on, I don't mind, but nobody else should have a dog who isn't 100% on the job off the leash in a business setting. I also don't mind stores with dog friendly policies like Home Depot- but I do mind when people try to bring dogs who aren't officially working into places that only allow service animals.

I can't stand the free friendly greeters either. Your dog may be fine, but other people and animals may not be. My dog stays leashed for her own protection and if I do let her greet I want it to only be after I've had time to evaluate the situation and given her permission. Kids too- they shouldn't run up to my dog or any pet w/out asking. 

We have a guy in our neighborhood who follows the law by leashing his dog but he never holds the leash. He's always out there working on training him; sending the dog forward, back to him, waiting and catching up... His dog is awesome! But even he picks up the leash before letting another dog approach his. 

• Like 2

My sister in law has an emotional support dog. He weighs 225 lb. That dog is huge. I tolerate him, but I refuse to go in public with her and that dog. It's just too much. I don't want people looking at me that much

Edited by Zinnia

My sister in law has an emotional support dog. He weighs 225 lb. That dog is huge. I tolerate him, but I refuse to go in public with her and that dog. It's just too much. I don't want people looking at me that much

What breed is it? :) I love big dogs but it's true that unless they are very well trained, it can be trying for everyone involved.

• Like 1

I adore dogs and would love to spend some free time with one! But this mentality drives me insane, right along with the one that believes that it's OK for THEIR dog to be off their leash because THEIR dog is friendly and knows its boundaries and would never bolt across the street/attack another pet/jump on a child/bite someone. It has always boggled my mind. 

SO much this.  I can't abide either a poorly trained dog or an idiot of an owner with that mentality.  I spent a huge amount of time training mine as well as taking it to a specialized trainer which cost me a fortune and I don't regret a penny of it.

Our dog is now 6 months old and a good size dog, a little over 50 lbs now. He can obey all commands he knows on or off leash.  He stays at heel and his recall is exceptional.  He had to be trained well so he can be a good therapy dog for youngest.

He isn't' perfect of course, we are still working on a couple of bad habits like counter surfing, but he is a really good boy.  I don't think we can train him not to hog all her blankets in bed though. ;)  And yes, we could crate him but sleeping with her is a huge part of what he does for her. 

I know a friend who's son and his wife have a three year old yapadoodle who IS NOT HOUSETRAINED because they don't like to "tell it no".  Blows my mind. 

• Like 2

Last weekend, I got into a very loud verbal altercation with a complete jerk at my favorite running trail over this very issue.  I had my LEASHED dog running with me; I'm a regular there--I know all of the other regulars; I am there four times a week.  I know the rules; I obey the rules; and I LOVE these trails.  But my dog, the Best Dog in the World, does not like other dogs sniffing at her.  This guy's dogs come running up to us, the owner was 20 yards away, and I tried to kick one of his dogs away.  Note that the dog was on my feet, easily within kicking range, and the owner was 20 yards away.  I tried to stay between my dog and his dog, but there were two of them--not possible.  Anyway, the dogs were clearly not under his control.  The guy went ballistic!  And I yelled right back at him, so we stood and yelled at each other on the trail.  It was LOVELY.  And then his wife joined in.  And these were not kids--they were in their 60s!  Other regulars occasionally have their dogs unleashed, but they grab their dogs and apologetically snap on a leash any time someone comes within view.  If I don't have my dog with me, I'll waive them off, "Oh, that's okay; mind if I say hi?"  That actually happened this morning, and I got to pet an adorable little black something-or-another.  But when I have my dog with me, the only appropriate response from him would have been, "I am so, so sorry!  I'll leash them from here on out."

Oh I so feel for you.  When my Aussie got older, she didn't like other dogs at all because she was in pain. I couldn't believe all the idiots who would be like "oh he just wants to say hi, it's what dogs do" while I am holding mine, leashed, by my side and yelling that she was not friendly and didn't like other dogs!  I almost got hurt numerous times due to mine trying to get behind me to avoid the unleashed dogs who "just want to say hi"

• Like 1

Oh I so feel for you.  When my Aussie got older, she didn't like other dogs at all because she was in pain. I couldn't believe all the idiots who would be like "oh he just wants to say hi, it's what dogs do" while I am holding mine, leashed, by my side and yelling that she was not friendly and didn't like other dogs!  I almost got hurt numerous times due to mine trying to get behind me to avoid the unleashed dogs who "just want to say hi"

Exactly!  The dogs will invariably end up snarling and snapping at each other, and you do NOT put your hands down between two snarling dogs, even if one is your own.  That's why I kicked at this guy's dog.  Ugh.  He was so clearly in the wrong, not to mention violating the law and the park rules.  He actually physically threatened me; I told him to bring it on.  Possibly not my wisest retort. . ..

• Like 1

I do not understand this mentality of NOT having your dog on a leash in public.   I can't stand people bringing their dogs into stores, but at the VERY LEAST have it on a leash!      

My city doesn't allow dogs off leash in public areas like ROADS.  The other day we had just gotten about 8" of snow, and my neighbors got out their skies and went skiing down our regular, suburban area road with their dog running all around them.  Not only is this not a rural country road, but it doesn't lead to a big field or a skiing area.  They were just skiing around the neighborhood.  For the life of me I cannot understand why you would risk your dog getting hit in those conditions.  To put someone through the agony of hitting a dog because you are a self-entitled idiot, is criminal.

• Like 2

I feel this way about cats. Why are cats allowed to roam and poop anywhere they like as well as kill the birds on my property?

Yes.  Most Brits think letting cats roam is normal, but I don't see why it should be.  Indoor cat or catio please:

https://catiospaces.com/

I'm a gardener and I don't see why I have to deal with other people's cats' poo in my flower beds when I'm weeding.

• Like 2

This question isn’t really directed at you personally, I’m just quoting since you brought up emotional support dogs.

Are emotional support dogs afforded the same “rights†as service dogs?

This question isn’t really directed at you personally, I’m just quoting since you brought up emotional support dogs.

Not in IN.

• Like 1

I feel this way about cats. Why are cats allowed to roam and poop anywhere they like as well as kill the birds on my property?

True. But very few children end up with major damage from cats and very few people take their cats out and about with the. So different topic.

• Like 2

They are everywhere we have been with her dog. He rides in the seat on Delta.

He is an English Mastiff. Pretty nice dog (though he slobbers). But the stares and whispers are just non-stop in public. My SIL sort of likes this part. But I just want to run and hide. :)

A plea for Lowe's and Home Depot -- Please let my leashed, extremely well-trained dog go to these places. Going places like these help my dog stay well-trained. She will not sniff you unless you lurch toward her and put your hand on her head without asking. Training means taking the leashed dog to places to "proof" her. I can't do this if I am not allowed to take her into any buildings other than PetSmart.  I drive 30 minutes one way twice weekly to do this, in addition to dog classes and personal training.

And just to let you know, when I am walking my leashed, well-trained dog in the park or wherever, please don't let your kids run up to my dog. My dog is on a leash. She is trained. If I had a nickel for every Mom and Dad who watched their kids run up to us in Petsmart, the park, or in class, and yell "Mickey just loves dogs!" I would have enough land never to see anyone again and this conversation would be moot. 

Edited by Teacher Mom
  • Like 4

I agree. I love dogs but they can stay home while you're running errands. I've had friends who wouldn't come visit us because we said no to them bringing their dogs. Uhm, we have two already so adding your two would be kind of nuts, even assuming they all got along. They literally will not go anywhere their dogs are not welcome.

• Like 2

I've been pretty lucky. I rarely encounter children who don't ask permission before approaching or petting. I think a lot of parents are doing a really good job of teaching their kids manners or how to behave around dogs or both. Sure, some don't. But I'm concentrating on the positive. ;)

• Like 3

I love dogs - but I hate this type of dog owner.  I'm getting sick of dogs everywhere.   I don't want to be sniffed.  I don't want a dog playing a dominance game by standing on my feet.  (I've had a few - the owners were some of the 'weakest" owners I've met.)

dog jumps on me - i will grab paws, and I won't let go either.   dogs don't jump on me twice.

and this is years after dudeling have moved from deathly fear of dogs to tolerating them as long as they stay away from him.

I agree. I love dogs but they can stay home while you're running errands. I've had friends who wouldn't come visit us because we said no to them bringing their dogs. Uhm, we have two already so adding your two would be kind of nuts, even assuming they all got along. They literally will not go anywhere their dogs are not welcome.

they think they're their kids - and just want to play.

doesn't work that way.   and dudeling has cousins his age he does NOT want in our house.

I love dogs - but I hate this type of dog owner.  I'm getting sick of dogs everywhere.   I don't want to be sniffed.  I don't want a dog playing a dominance game by standing on my feet.  (I've had a few - the owners were some of the 'weakest" owners I've met.)

dog jumps on me - i will grab paws, and I won't let go either.   dogs don't jump on me twice.

and this is years after dudeling have moved from deathly fear of dogs to tolerating them as long as they stay away from him.

They aren't.

Dominance theory has long, long been debunked. Thoroughly.

• Like 1

No, emotional support dogs (ESAs) are not afforded public access rights like service dogs (SD).  ESAs are permitted to fly with proper documentation.  ESAs nor SD are permitted to ride in the seats of the plane, they must lay at your feet (or in your lap if small enough), but certainly not IN a seat.  

Service dogs are to be leashed unless it isn't reasonable and then they are to be under complete voice control.  

• Like 1

My county is infamous for this type of behavior. I finally had to say something the day that a lady took her young husky into the pharmacy. It was not a tiny puppy, but a 6 month oldish dog and it was screech barking at everyone. She looked at me like I had 2 heads and was incredulous about my suggestion that her dog shouldn’t be in a medical facility.

I think a huge issue is that business owners are not educated on the different rights a service animal has vs. an emotional support animal and they are afraid of being sued.

Locally, a man walks into a Mexican restaurant with a large snake around his neck. Several diners complained to the manager. He asked the man to leave and the man told him he was within his legal rights to have his support snake with him. So the manager told the other diners, sorry, my hands are tied. It was a big news story here and several attorneys were on the news. The only animal that has rights is a legit service animal and only dogs are recognized as legit service animals in IN.

• Like 2

Imagine if the cats were also in the restaurants where you eat. Or riding in the child's seat of the shopping carts in your local grocery store, Wal-Mart, Target, Publix etc. I have seen a dog in a shopping cart at each of those stores. I have yet to see a cat. Regardless, neither one belongs in these public places. The only exception being an actual service animal. Even then a service animal would not be in a shopping cart.

I have not seen dogs (or cats ) in those places. Yup, no place for animals, only if they are in service.

My son, when little, was hurt by a cat (scratched in the face) but never a dog. I don’t trust dogs or cats ever, even my own, with children. You just never know about pets, or people.

I agree. And any service animals I've ever seen have been exceedingly well behaved and identified as such.

I’ve never seen dogs anywhere except in Petsmart. Where do y’all live??

I don’t think I’d mind dogs being everywhere, but since I haven’t lived it, then I suppose I can’t assume I’d be ok with it.

Then again, I’d be ok with it if they were leashed. I would not be ok with it if they were running around unleashed, especially medium to large dogs. I’m afraid of medium to large dogs. My kids are, too. There have been a few times when we’ve been on a walk and someone is walking a leashed dog and my kids make a point of giving the dog a wide berth. And I suppose that if they were in stores I might wonder if they’d randomly hike a leg on the products on the lower shelves or drool into the salad bar at the grocery store. And I would not be ok with dogs running around and sniffing at my feet when I’m out in public.

Ok—I guess I wouldn’t like to see dogs everywhere after all! Leashed and in stores that are ok with it (Petsmart), I suppose that’s fine. But leashed is a must if they’re in populated areas.

As far as cats outdoors in neighborhoods, I don’t think it’s the same as dogs. Dogs are known for attacking people whereas it’s more rare for a cat. Dogs can be fenced in so they get exercise, but cats can’t, unless you make a dome. Cats are more like squirrels, insofar as they seem to avoid humans rather than seeking them out the way dogs do.

Edited by Garga

Perhaps it would help business to post large signs telling people that they are liable for $x cleaning fee if their animal fouls the store, the cost to replace damaged items if their pets cause damage, and if they hurt anyone in the store they are liable for all medical costs related to the injury. 

As for airplanes, if I were the head of the airline, I'd charge hefty deposits on animals which would only be returned if the flight occurred and the animal caused no problems. 

Perhaps irresponsible owners would think twice before taking their untrained pet in public places.

• Like 1

DH called tonight to rant. He was at Home Depot when a lady walked by him with a dog that was not a service dog. He was wondering why anyone would bring their pet to a store when it stopped and did it's 'business'in the aisle they were in. He said the lady looked around to see if anyone saw & when she saw him she went to get a bag to clean it up! 😲😞

I know!  I hate it!  And Lowes.  What the heck people.  Leave Fido at home.

To be fair, Lowes has a sign on the door welcoming leashed, well behaved pets. It has a pet friendly policy. I have taken dogs there, but always leashed and at my side, not wandering around or sniffing other people. 

I like taking my dogs in places that welcome them. But if dogs are not allowed I don't bring them. 

• Like 1